Start by marking “The Martian” as Want to Read:
The Martian

The Martian (The Martian #1)

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  384,517 Ratings  ·  52,733 Reviews
A mission to Mars.
A freak accident.
One man's struggle to survive.

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars.

Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars' surface, completely alone, with
Published February 11th 2014 by Crown (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Martian, please sign up.

Kathylill Honestly, if you take the time to write this question here, you should have also taken the time to read a few of the 3000 5-Star reviews, or go to the…moreHonestly, if you take the time to write this question here, you should have also taken the time to read a few of the 3000 5-Star reviews, or go to the author's website. Then maybe you would have found out, that his and the book's story is rather interesting: Andy Weir began writing the book in 2009 and spent three years working out the details of the story. The novel, began as a self-published science-fiction serial. As he'd been rebuffed by literary agents in the past, he decided to put the novel on his website free of charge in September 2012. A few fans asked him to sell the story on Amazon (for 0.99) so that they could download it to e-readers. It rose to the top of Amazon's list of best-selling science-fiction titles. He sold 35,000 copies in three months. Only now, agents and publishers and movie studios started to get interested. Weir sold the print rights to Crown in March 2013 and The Martian debuted on the New York Times Best Seller list on March 2, 2014 in the hardcover fiction category at twelfth position.

So regarding your question: Apparently Weir wrote this book not really so he could make lots of money with it. He never really expected the audience for "The Martian" to grow much beyond the handful of fans who read it on his website, he said in several interviews.

I did read this book long before it got published as hardcover. One of the main reasons why I did pick up a hardcore science fiction book (which I normally really don't do) was specifically because of the promotion as "Apollo 13 meets Cast Away". I love watching science-fiction and survival or catastrophe movies like Apollo 13, Gravity, Space Cowboys, Armageddon or Mission to Mars. So for me (normally a reader of fantasy and romance novels) this promotion worked rather fine.

I know there are authors who get contracted to write a story based on popular fiction. This is really not one of them. I am especially happy for the author that his selfpublished book was so successful that publishers picked it up and that he could sell the rights in the end.

This is an entertaining read. If you get past the marketing blurb let me know how you liked it. (less)
Josh Check out the talk Weir gave at Google here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMfuL....

In it, he mentions that he didn't have any contact with NASA…more

In it, he mentions that he didn't have any contact with NASA until after publication, and that basically everything (math, science, etc.) he checked himself. He shows off a program he wrote to compute the orbital dynamics simulations in the talk. The major inaccuracy (of which there were few!) he pointed out was that the storm which set the whole plot in motion wouldn't actually have done much to push objects around (the atmosphere on Mars is really thin). Apparently he's just a space history/science enthusiast who did all the research into NASA history himself!(less)

Althea Ann
Oct 10, 2014 Althea Ann rated it it was ok
'Crap! My astronaut crewmates accidentally left me behind on Mars! I'm fucked! I'm going to die! Oh wait! I just thought of something highly logically unlikely and technically complicated, that I am sure to pull off without a hitch, because did I mention that I am Plucky and Ingenious? It sure is a good thing that I am super-talented! Yay! That worked! I'm not dead! [Next chapter] But wait! Disaster has struck! Shit happens, when you're stuck alone on Mars. Whatever shall I do? OMG, I just had a ...more
Davy-Gravy
Mar 13, 2014 Davy-Gravy rated it it was ok
Unpopular opinion time: I don't like how this book is written. Watney's journals read like a nerdy blog rather than a dramatic survivor's diary. It's hard to find something harrowing and traumatic when the protagonist is saying "yay!" a lot and making incessant corny puns. "3.6 pirate-ninjas!" "Yay oxygen!" "Lol gay probe lol!!!!!1!" "Bad rover, no Scooby snack!!!111!" "LOL craaaaaaap!!1!" For me, those aren't funny, they're almost embarrassing.

No matter what horrible thing is happening to Watne
Kat O'Keeffe
Sep 26, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic! A thrilling survival story with a hearty dose of humor. The main character Mark was such a smartass and I LOVED IT. The voice and the premise hooked me in right away and kept me thoroughly engaged the whole time. My only real issues were that some of the minor characters didn't really stand out as much as they could've, and some of the science heavy bits were a little hard to follow and felt info-dumpy at times. But the human aspect--the heart of the story--was totally o ...more
Wil Wheaton
Jul 28, 2015 Wil Wheaton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I have never wanted so badly for the characters in a book to be real. I want to meet them all the way I want to meet the president, or Taylor Swift.

This story is perfectly told. It is perfectly paced, it is brilliantly written, it is beautifully crafted.

Andy Weir does this incredible thing where he make the reader feel the isolation that Mark Wagner feels, and he does it so subtly, we don't even realize that he's doing it until it's done.

The Martian completely captivated me. I couldn't wait to f
Sasha Alsberg
Jan 25, 2016 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I go so emotional at the end, so good!
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 21, 2015 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it really liked it
I'm so happy that I randomly decided to pick this book up! I did find that the story dragged a bit towards the end and some of things went over my head a little bit, but for the most part this was a fantastic read!
Emily May
Jan 02, 2015 Emily May rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2015
First off, welcome to 2015!

Let's kick this year off with a review of a book about a guy who deserves to survive more than anyone I've ever known. This book has been lurking around in my Goodreads feed, gaining hype, and all the positive reviews from my friends eventually got too much for me - so I had to check this out for myself. I'm glad I gave in.

The Martian has so many good things going for it. First and foremost, it is a classic tale of survival against very huge odds. In this book, Mark Wa
Rick Riordan
Jul 24, 2015 Rick Riordan rated it it was amazing
Adult science thriller.

Love it, love it! A meticulously researched, briskly paced and surprisingly funny story about an astronaut left behind on Mars, presumed dead, who must now figure out how to survive and let the folks back on Earth know he is alive and needs rescue. This is hard-science science fiction. Parts of it read like really complicated (but amusing) word problems, juggling mass and time and weight, etc. But all of that adds to the realism. You can tell Andy Weir loves his space exp
karen
Oct 27, 2015 karen rated it liked it
i have finally seen the movie, so i added some notes at the bottom.

this book is basically just a really long SAT question. and i so hope the movie is just matt damon sitting at a table doing equations for two and a half hours.

oh but first, as promised, here are the photos of me being an astronaut this past weekend.

photo IMG_9830_zpsno56bdrb.jpg

zooooom!

photo IMG_9836_zpsmff8ijns.jpg

i am orbiting the eeeeeeaaaarttthh!!

photo IMG_9837_zps9wyqsesw.jpg

i did a really good job at astronauting and i didn't need to do math even once! (although i started experiencing cramped space-madness
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 26, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
*4.5*

Well, that was a journey.

I started this book in March, and put it down with no intentions of ever picking it back up. Skip forward to early October when I saw the movie (twice), and then immediately went out and bought another copy of the book (yeah, I was so sure last time that I gave it away. YEAH). FINALLY, I read the book. And it was awesome.

I had to dock a half star for the tiny reason that originally caused me to DNF the book: the writing can be a bit irritating. Don't misunderstand
Khanh (the Grinch)
I’m stranded on Mars. I have no way to communicate with Hermes or Earth. Everyone thinks I’m dead. I’m in a Hab designed to last 31 days.

If the Oxygenator breaks down, I’ll suffocate. If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I’ll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I’ll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I’ll eventually run out of food and starve to death.

So yeah. I’m fucked.
If you think about it, Robinson Crusoe is kind of a whiny pussy, I say, while sitting in my plush computer
Jeffrey Keeten
May 18, 2015 Jeffrey Keeten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Nataliya
May 27, 2014 Nataliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2014-reads
Sometimes I'm lucky enough to come across a book that makes me go all Whee-heeee! with the sincerest glee rivaling that of over-sugared-up kids about to open Christmas gifts.
“I can't wait till I have grandchildren. “When I was younger, I had to walk to the rim of a crater. Uphill! In an EVA suit! On Mars, ya little shit! Ya hear me? Mars!”
A book that makes me willingly turn my chronically sleep-deprived state into the acutely sleep-deprived one as I battle somnolence at 4 a.m. so that I can re
Stepheny
Thank god that's over.

Everyone has been talking about The Martian. And I literally mean everyone. Since the moment I saw the cover and the raving reviews I knew I had to pick it up. There’s a reason people are talking about this book.

I just don’t fucking get it.

I think I am the only person on GR to give this pile a one star rating. I’m ok with that. This is a classic case of- it’s not you, it’s me.

I wanted desperately to fit in with the Goodreads community and love the shit out of this book a
Beverley
If The Martian isn't a million dollar blockbuster in the next 5 years, Hollywood have missed a treat. I read the entire thing in one sitting, making it probably the best way to pass 8 hours that I can think of. Maybe it helps that I came to the book with no expectations, except the hope that I might get my next 'fix' for my inner space geek.

Well, what a fix! The story is a fast-paced, compelling adventure across Mars and offered everything I wanted and more. I was behind Mark Watney the whole w
Will Byrnes
I’m pretty much fucked.
Ok, show of hands. How many of you have uttered these exact words? (or words to that effect). Not everyone? I see we have some liars out there. How many have said them at least twice? Three times? Four? Those with hands still up, you probably need to make some adjustments to your approach, find a safer line of work, hobbies that do not entail long drops, stop trying the weekly specials at McBlowfish, or seek out people to date who are into less extreme…um…sports. These a
Navessa
Jun 10, 2015 Navessa rated it it was amazing

If The Martian was marketed as a prescription drug…

Every year, thousands of critical readers around the globe roll their eyes in frustration at the science fails they find within their favorite fiction genres.

Extreme cases of literary frankenscience carry the risk of full-blown ocular gymnastics on the part of the reader. As a result, serious injury has been reported, to include corneal abrasions, iritis, and sprains of the lateral and medial rectus muscles.

Luckily, there is a cure.

The Martian
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars This book is nothing short of spectacular. It is insanely well-researched, and it's impossible not to be charmed by Mark Watney's hilarious sense of humor, or jeez-MY-brain-is-filled-with-absolutely-useless-information-impressed by his smarts, ingenuity, and spirit.

I will say that after a few chapters, I started skimming some of the more technical parts of what he was doing to survive. I normally love this stuff, and certainly I absolutely DID enjoy much of what was here and sincerely
Alejandro
Feb 16, 2015 Alejandro rated it liked it
Mission Control to Reviewer One...

Reviewer One, here. Go ahead, Mission Control...

Lift off minus fifteen. Final Systems Check...

Roger, Mission Control...

Characters... Go...

Story... Go...

Style... Go...

Overall Reading Experience... Go...

Roger, Reviewer One. All Systems are Go. Iniating Countdown.

Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four! Three! Two!...

One! Lift off! We have a lift off!...

Welcome to CNN's Reviewer One Report. Presented to you thanks to the sponsorship of "The Martian"'s Quotes...

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Nov 28, 2014 Shelby *trains flying monkeys* rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Shelves: favorites, read-2014
Mark Watney. I just can't even tell you how much I love this character. I think he may just be on the list of my favorite male characters ever. The dude is stranded on Mars..with no one. Does he cry? Well, only sometimes. Does he fight against the planet from hell? Heck yes!

Everywhere I go, I'm the first. Step outside the rover? First guy to every be there! Climb a hill? First guy to climb that hill! Kick a rock? That rock hadn't moved in a million years!

I did get lost in some of the science o
Anne
Aug 26, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2015
Has anyone not heard of this book yet?
I see one hand up there towards the back! You! Yes, the one next to the potted fern.
Ok. Well, then this review is for you. Everyone else, feel free to hit the buffet!
Pile your plate high! I've been trying to get rid of that seafood salad for a few days...

Does The Martian really need one more glowing review?
No. No, it does not.
But I'm going to do it anyway. Because even though I'm the last person on the planet to read this one, I still feel the need to put
julio
Jan 31, 2016 julio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
dan brown syndrome.

description

which is to say, this guy has a knack for a compelling idea, but his writing is...

hoo, boy.

just... brutal.

no soul.

no poetry.

all the verve of a dead body.

or a software engineer...

description

just kidding, my gorgeous software-engineer-buddies: i was teasing the author, who is one of you, not you in particular or, y'know, in general, please don't hex my laptop because you are my everything, all i want for christmas is you, i can't live if living is without you.

*winsome smile*

but yeah, i'
Trudi

This whole book left me stupid happy and deliriously impressed and I spent most of my time declaring:

Jesse would have loved Mark Watney. I love Mark Watney. He's super smart but not just in a poindexter nerd alert bookish kind of way. Watney's got some serious problem solving skills; he's McGyver in a space suit. Give this guy a toothpick, some tinfoil and a ziplock bag and he'll build you an airplane. But don't forget the duct tape. Duct tape is awesome and I will be putting in a suppl
Thomas
Jan 05, 2015 Thomas rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
How many exclamation points can you shove into one book?

Time to start off 2015 with an unpopular opinion: I did not like how Andy Weir wrote The Martian. He writes science well, and his background in research and technical prose shows, but by page 100 the style of the book got repetitive. Watney discovers a problem. Watney worries for a sentence or two. Watney comes up with a solution. Watney enacts the solution with minimal struggle. Watney celebrates. Rinse and repeat.

I also have no idea how W
Carmen
Mar 28, 2016 Carmen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Engineers
How can I say this to you? This is one of the most boring books I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

I was really looking forward to reading this book. Everyone was so enthusiastic about it. I was saving it for myself as a little treat.

By page 27 I knew I was in trouble.

Here's the book:

LOG ENTRY:
I'm fucked.

Oh, wait! I have an idea!

Science, science science. Then if I science science science, science.

Great! [Insert lame joke here].

Now imagine this repeating 1,000 times.

Watney's stranded on Mar
Kemper
Scientists and David Bowie have long wondered if there is life on Mars. There is, but he isn’t very happy about it. And he probably won’t be alive for long.

A six-person crew made the third manned landing mission on the red planet, but a severe wind storm forces them to leave just a few days after their arrival rather than staying for the planned month. During the emergency evacuation one of them is killed in a freak accident. The remaining crew members reluctantly haul ass back to Earth leaving
Steph Sinclair
There isn't anything inherently wrong with The Martian, but, look, that was a lot of fucking math.

When I was a kid still in the "oh god what will I do as a career when I'm a grownup?!" phase, I had the brilliant idea that maybe I'd be a mathematician. The Martian has just reminded me why that was a shitty idea. I love sci-fi and I'm super fascinated with space, but yeah, this one didn't particularly spark anything in me. It didn't leave me hungering for the next page. It was just another audiobo
Sean Gibson
Jan 12, 2016 Sean Gibson rated it it was amazing
Things I have in common with Mark Watney:

• If trapped alone on Mars, I would defecate myself. A lot.
• I eat a lot of potatoes.
• I have a tendency to say inappropriate things at inopportune times.

That is all. Every other skill that makes Watney pretty much the best suited human being in the history of human beings to survive being stuck on Mars for a year and a half, I completely lack. Engineering know-how, unflappability in the face of life-threatening situations, ingenuity, problem-solving skil
Darth J
Sep 30, 2015 Darth J rated it really liked it
(No guys, you won’t be getting a 2 line “OMG, I LOVED IT!!!” review and a spam link to an obnoxious Youtube vid, I actually write reviews like we are supposed to on here. #well-deserved shade)

As much as I wanted to skip over the many technical details, I just couldn’t. For reasons.* However, I really enjoyed Watney’s humor throughout the ordeal. Weir brought a sense of humanity to a genius in a terrible situation, and Watney’s warmth and resourcefulness grounded this sci-fi story. I don’t often
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 21, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هي ليست رواية قدر ماهي معايشة 'مهووس علوم' منعزل...في المريخ
العيشة مع مارك ويتني جحيم..سلسلة من سوء الحظ والإخفاقات التي تلي كل محاولة بائسة-وعبقرية بنفس الوقت- للعيش في المريخ والنجاة من موت محقق
وبرغم أنها قصة نجاة، إلا إنك قد تتعجب، هل كان مارك ويتني 'شمال'؟

دعك من المتحذلقين كمن يحاول أقناعك أنه سيشرح لك نظريات العلمية بالرواية او الفيلم المبني عليها
Interstellar كما حدث مع فيلم
فأي عمل فني، فيلما كان أو رواية سيشرح لك اﻷحداث والنظريات المبني عليها اﻷحداث خلال العمل نفسه بما يخدم الحبكة, فلن يت
DFW Planetary Soc...: General Discussion *no spoilers* 3 3 15 hours, 56 min ago
Reading Addicts: May Other Genre BOTM_ The Martian 8 6 May 21, 2016 05:35PM
a sci fi novel 1 25 May 17, 2016 09:14AM
The Martian 7 72 May 11, 2016 01:30PM
  • Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars
  • World of Trouble (The Last Policeman, #3)
  • Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox, #2)
  • Kill Decision
  • Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1)
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • Great North Road
  • All Clear (All Clear, #2)
  • The Unincorporated Man

44 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.” 1400 likes
“He’s stuck out there. He thinks he’s totally alone and that we all gave up on him. What kind of effect does that have on a man’s psychology?” He turned back to Venkat. “I wonder what he’s thinking right now.”

LOG ENTRY: SOL 61 How come Aquaman can control whales? They’re mammals! Makes no sense.”
981 likes