Start by marking “On a Snowy Night” as Want to Read:
On a Snowy Night

On a Snowy Night

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,469 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
The Christmas Basket

More than ten years ago, high-school sweethearts Noelle McDowell and Thomas Sutton planned to elope--but then he jilted her. This Christmas, Noelle is home to celebrate the holidays, and she and Thom discover they are still in love. Now only the decades-old rivalry between their mothers stands in the way of a second chance together.

The Snow Bride

Practic
Published November 1st 2004 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about On a Snowy Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On a Snowy Night

Brandy *Ahviel*
First let me say that I love Debbie's books, but this book just did not do it for me. The first story The Christmas basket was about high school sweethearts that are no longer high school sweet hearts because he jilted her at the alter. But come to find out she jilted him, or so he thinks for all these years. On top of that their mothers HATE each other. The story is cute and an easy read. I don't know maybe having a migraine is what turned me off

The second story I thing is the kicker
Who in ther
Nairabell
Nov 19, 2011 Nairabell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
This book actually contains two stories that were originally published individually as gift hardbacks - The Christmas Basket and The Snow Bride.

***The Christmas Basket***

There has been a feud between the matriarchs of the McDowell and Sutton families for years, one that was made worse when Noelle McDowell and Thomas Sutton planned to elope ten years ago - before Thomas jilted her. Noelle has avoided returning to Rose, Oregon since then but now her younger sister is getting married she is retur
Dawn
Jul 06, 2009 Dawn rated it did not like it
For people who like contrived plots and unmemorable, cliche, irritating characters then Macomber's romance novels are the way to go. For the rest of us, skip them and save some time.
Nicola Clough
Nov 11, 2016 Nicola Clough rated it it was amazing
There are two really well written love stories in this book and very good characters but in both stories can they find the right person to love. The first story parents have been enemy's for years but the children fell in love when young but it went wrong and now she back in town she comes across her first live and do they make it up and can they get the parents back together. The second story she thinks she's met her new lover over the Internet but he lives in another country so she gives her ...more
Varsha
Nov 17, 2016 Varsha rated it really liked it
the another Debbie macomber pleasant stories. I liked the 1st story about two high school lovers. the Christmas love story was amazing , it was like peeping through the lives of two lovely families and how they are solving problems in a lovely way. it was very pleasing and pleasant . I lived it so much I didn't want to finish the story . But the second story was bit boring and quiete predictable , not as interesting as the 1st.
Valerie
Oct 05, 2016 Valerie rated it it was amazing
This is one of Debbie Macomber's best Christmas books. It's about the true meaning of Christmas and I couldn't put it down once I opened the book. There's just something magical about Debbie Macomber's books.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I used to enjoy Ms. Macomber quite a bit. She still writes just fine as far as a clean and simple world building. What I'm not enjoying anymore and it could be my changing tastes, are her characters. The conflict for her characters seem to be miscommunications. The petty games people play when they are in a "huff". The characters are what I classify as juvenile and depressingly immature. It reminds me of the show, "Threes Company". All these "bad" things happen and are blown out of proportion ...more
Mary Aris
Jan 05, 2014 Mary Aris rated it it was amazing
One of Debbie Macomber's Christmas gems! On a Snowy Night features two of her Christmas stories in one book. In the Christmas Basket, two star-crossed teenagers bear the brunt of their mothers' rivalry. A Silver Tea set sparked a fued between two friends that affected a whole community and their two kids, Noelle and Tom. Can a Christmas Miracle and the love of these two star-crossed lovers repair the friendship between Mary Sutton and Sarah MacDowell?

In The Snow Bride, thirty-something executi
Wendy
Nov 29, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
This was a collection of two Christmas romances. The first one was about Noelle and Thom who were high school sweethearts but through a misunderstanding believed that each had chosen their family over their relationship. Ten years later, Noelle returns to her home for her sister's wedding preparations and meets upp with Thom again and the sparks fly immediately in many different ways.
The second story is about Jenna, who is 31 and has determined that her life is boring and she is getting nowhere
Susan
Feb 07, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
If you want a cosy, undemanding read, this is the book for curling up on the sofa in front of the fire on a miserable day.

I did not realise that it is in fact two books in one, and the first is definitely the weaker - I did wonder how on earth it could be spun out to nearly 400 pages. On its own it would probably only have rated 2 stars. It is slight story of two former High School sweethearts who each think they have been jilted by the other, until they meet up again ten years later. They still
Linda
Jan 09, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
I love Debbie's books. She writes heartwarming stories with down-to-earth characters. This book was composed of two stories. The first was The Christmas Basket and was about two women who had been best friends but had become enemies. They really missed their friendship but were not sure how to go about repairing their friendship. The second was The Snow Bride and was about a young woman leaving her job and family and taking off for Alaska and a man she had met in a chat room. When he failed to ...more
Karen seng
Sep 04, 2014 Karen seng rated it it was amazing
it was very good it tell how parents fighting can keep kids apart its funny how they get back together after years of not getting along

Amanda
Dec 14, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
This book was ok, but I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in it. The first story, "The Christmas Basket", was a cute story about a man and woman who loved each other years before, but due to a feud between their mothers and a misunderstanding 10 years prior, it didn't work out. I had a few problems with the story. First, the mothers behavior was beyond outragous. It was very unbelieveable. Also, I couldn't help but notice several timeline inconsistencies. The second story, "The Snow ...more
Mary
Dec 05, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: ereader-finished
the two stories were short. I liked the plot line of the story, stories of love misunderstanding, and meeting people who you first don't get along with but fall in love with later does not bore me, but because of the compact-ness of the two stories I feel like the ending was rushed , the getting to fall in love with each other was rushed and things were explained quickly, and it all just followed some sort of happy ending formula. this applies more to the second story, and semi to the ending of ...more
Anthony Mullally
Dec 15, 2014 Anthony Mullally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was a book , something like p.s i love you these books dont get read by guys much but i dont know why but it touched something in my heart and i wanted to read more and more after each page it was well worth the 30 cent that i paid for it , her style of writing never appealed to me years ago i would of laughed and said that the book was for girls but since joining goodreads i have learned books dont have gender and readers should read whatever they want and not base it on whether the book was ...more
Emma
Dec 25, 2013 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, usa, xmas
This book contains two stories:

-The Christmas Basket (2 stars at best) which was really extremely bad, poorly written and awfully predictable. But it was so bad it ended up being funny and I kinda enjoyed reading it.

-The Snow Bride (3 stars because it's Christmas and I'm feeling generous). I liked that one. Nothing revolutionary and still a not-so- stellar writing style (especially when it comes to "romantic" scenes, OMG those were painfully ridiculous) but I guess the setting in a small town in
Jill
Sep 02, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
Two stories in one book. The Christmas Basket Noelle (born on Christmas Day) and her high school sweetheart, Thom finally learn the truth about what happened 10 years ago when they had planned to elope.

The Snow Bride. Jenna Campbell has met someone on the internet. He lives in Alaska, she leaves her job and heads out for an adventure in Alaska. Her new friend doesn't appear at the airport so she gets a pilot to take her to Dalton's home. She ends up snowbound in Snowbound, Alaska. Love is found
Margie
Feb 12, 2010 Margie rated it liked it
This book consists of two small stories, the first is The Christmas Basket. It was a fun read about 2 families thrown back together after years of fueding.
The second is The Snow Bride. A cute story about a young girl looking for a companion in a poetry chat room. She ends up falling for an Alaskian looking for a new adventure. She finds it there and lots more. I really liked this one, it had romantic twists that were fun. Both short stories were great to read during the 2010 Blizzard. LOL
Keerthi
May 08, 2012 Keerthi rated it it was ok
this was the first and last book of debbie macomber i read.really i got kicked up after reading such a book.on my friend's recommendation i thought this would be nice but it was a disaster.both the stories were not upto the mark.i thought that this would be of romance but i couldnt see a hint of romance the first story.second one was better i could say but after this i didnt even wanted to see her books.
Srividya
May 05, 2014 Srividya rated it liked it
Two short novellas in one, both based on Christmas themes. Very nice light reads. Enjoyed them both.

Of course, wish that both had been separate novels instead of novellas. Somehow I feel small novellas does away with the plot development and character development, which is more easily done in a full length novel.

Despite all that, if you want a quick cozy read between books, this one's definitely for you.
Becky
May 26, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
This was our book club's annual Christmas selection. We read a Christmas-themed book and the book is usually a light read and innocuous. This book is definitely light reading, but our group discussion was very lively. Several readers found no pleasure in romance books and Christmas themes did not win them over! Others enjoyed both stories, especially the humor, and found the book to be just what it promised--Christmas happiness.
Nicole
Dec 06, 2010 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books
This book was a nice fluffy interlude from the Swedish crime novel I've been trying to get through. I really enjoyed Debbie Macomber's sweet stories; however since they were packaged as Christmas stories, I was expected a little bit more of a Christmas theme. The first story was definitely centered around Christmas, but the second wasn't at all really. Other than that, it was still a nice lite read.
Heather
Jan 17, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
I love all of Debbie Macomber stories. In this case, I enjoyed the Christmas Basket more than The Snow Bride. In the Christmas Basket, I found myself a little sad that the Noelle and Thom took so long to figure out what when wrong. Ten years is a long time. In the Snow Bride, I felt that there should have been a little of a connection between Jenna and Reid. Even with the little things, I wish I could change. This was a good read.
Dorry Lou
Oct 31, 2012 Dorry Lou rated it it was ok
I like Debbie Macomber books and this one is an old one written in part in 2002. It was not exciting, but Christmasy and since I am trying to just read Christmas things right now, it fit in o.k.
There are 2 stories in there and I did like the 2nd one much the best. I think I can say both were a little far out. Nothing I would recommend.
Alicia
Dec 16, 2012 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, seasonal
Out of the two books, I liked "The Christmas Basket" better than "The Snow Bride." Both are okay stories, but other than a few Christmas references, they didn't seem like Christmas books. Also, the plots didn't seem overly realistic, and the endings were predictable. Overall, just ok. I'd suggest Macomber's newer books over this one.
Sharon
Oct 10, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Just as all of the other Debbie Macomber books I've read, this was an enjoyable one. This is actually two books in one. Both are romance novels that are easy to read. More importantly, I can safely recommend these books to my mother and the ladies at church.
Arlene
Feb 27, 2015 Arlene rated it liked it
jTwo books in one! The Christmas Basket and The Snow Bride! Love when I can get 2 books for the price of one, but on the other hand, after I started reading the second one, found out I already read it! Both good romances! Good clean stuff!
Charlotte Bodycote
Jan 01, 2014 Charlotte Bodycote rated it it was amazing
I've always been a big fan of Debbie Macomber's books but I have to say how much I enjoyed these two romantic tales. They kept me wanting more and hoping for the happy ending all the characters deserved.
Christina
Aug 23, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
This is probably the fifth time I have read this book over the last few years. It was the book that introduced me to Debbie Macomber, and I have enjoyed each book that I have read of hers ever since. I have even laughed out loud in some comical instances! A fun book to read!
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • The Snow Globe
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • Kissing Santa Claus (Men of Hawaii #3)
  • A Wish for Christmas (Cape Light #10)
  • A Bride By Christmas
  • Montana, Mistletoe, Marriage
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • Christmas Wishes and Mistletoe Kisses
  • By My Side: From This Day / Temptation
  • One Snowy Night Before Christmas
  • Christmas Weddings: His Christmas Eve Proposal / Snowbound Bride / Their Christmas Vows
  • Love Finds You Under the Mistletoe
  • Jingle All The Way
  • Amazing Gracie
  • The Joy of a Peanuts Christmas: 50 Years of Holiday Comics!
  • Holiday in Stone Creek: A Stone Creek Christmas / At Home in Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #4 & 6)
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 950 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...