Start by marking “Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)” as Want to Read:
Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)

Taste of Darkness (Healer #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  5,564 ratings  ·  624 reviews
She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears?

Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever.

But there's a more immediate threat: The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray a
Published December 31st 2013 by Harlequin MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Taste of Darkness, please sign up.

Maria Snyder
May 10, 2013 Maria Snyder rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Wow - I just announced the new title for the book and here it is - already fixed!! For those who might be confused, the third Healer book was originally titled, TASTE OF DEATH, but has been changed due to a variety of reasons (see my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/mvsfans for more details) and is now TASTE OF DARKNESS.

The book is written, but I'm working on edits. So far, my husband said it's the best of my Healer books! I realize he's my husband and you're suspicious, but he doesn't nor
Méadhbh
Jul 08, 2013 Méadhbh marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have some very definite opinions about how the last book ended, so this should be interesting, to put it mildly. Anyone have a time machine they could loan me?

Later...

Hmpf. Whose brilliant idea was it to change the title from "Taste of Death" to "Taste of Darkness"? The original title was bold and it sort of stared you in the face, but now it feels like it apologized and stepped back a few steps and is staring at its feet, if ya know what I mean.
Stefani
Jan 02, 2013 Stefani marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
December 2013 huh....why do you hate me Maria Snyder? Why? All I've done wrong is to love these first two books. Is that so bad? Why must you punish me? Don't say it's because secretly I like it...that is not the point! You simply cannot end Scent of Magic on THAT note and then expect me to wait a year. It's just not going to happen, it's not.

Oh, I'll tell you what I'm going to do about it! I'll break into your house and steal the manuscript from you! That's what I'll do!! *officially crosses t
Nithya
:O warning spoilers
That was my face wen I finished the book
Aghhhhh I actually can't beleive I've finished it
I've been waiting a whole year and as soon as I heard it was out I screamed with delight and rushed around not mowing what to do.
But finally I did it (punching my fist up with triumph)

The skeleton king is a new interesting charecter in the book and I almost puked seeing what he does to his prisoners
Avery is a whole new person and I just love her.
When I started the book and found out Kerri
Monika
Maria is one of my favourite authors - not just because of her writing - but because she is lovely person - generous to her fans and just all round nice :)
Lol that being said - if I write a review about a book - it will always be completely honest because 1. It's my personal opinion and 2. what's the point of writing a review otherwise?

I really enjoyed the first two books in the series. I was happy that Maria had kept the theme of "magic" going as she had with the Study and Glass series. I re-re
Ferdy
Spoilers

Hated it, I spent the majority of the book rolling my eyes. The plot, the characters, and the writing were all poor — there was nothing remotely interesting or good about them.

-What's what: Avry thinks her abusive boyfriend is dead, obviously he's not, everyone's happy but not for long as they have to beat the one-dimensional-evul Tohon and his army of dead. That means going from one place to another, running into bad guys, fighting and then separating, and then fighting some more. Yea,
Rachael
ARC received via NetGalley

My review in one word: disappointing.

I don't know what went wrong. Honestly. I can't decide if her writing changed completely with this book or if my standards (boy that sounds pretentious) are different. If I went back and read the first of this series would I like it as well I as remember? If I reread the Study series would I love it still? I'm hesitant to test that theory.

It just felt so sloppy. The dialogue felt so basic and at times forced to create a chuckle. But
Renu
This is the second conclusion to a trilogy I've finished this month, and I'm happy to report that it is another satisfying one. The romance was delightful, the world-building thorough, and the characterization spot on.

Avry and Kerrick have been through a lot and trouble continues to follow them in ToD. The book opens with Avry discovering that Kerrick has disappeared, a search soon ensues and although there is a silent agreement that Kerrick is no more she refuses to believe it. I've said it onc
Deniz
2,5Stars

If I had to describe Taste of Darkness with one word, I would probably choose lacklustre.
Sadly so, and with great regret because Touch of Power was one of my favorite reads in 2012, not only that, one of my favorite fantasy book. I adored Avery and her boys. Loved the storyline and world building, but my favorite part was the character building. And we all know I am a sucker for great character driven novels. Scent of Magic was more plot driven. And one of the disappointing sequels of
AH
Initial Thoughts: The best book in the series! After a slow start and trying to remember the huge cast of characters, I quickly got into this story and enjoyed it immensely. I loved the world created by the author and the book was a lot of fun to read. Full review to come...

The Review:
I've been a fan of Maria V. Snyder's Healer series for quite a while now. When the opportunity to read and review the third book came along, I jumped at the chance. The Healer series focuses on Avry, a remarkable y
Yoon-Ji

I remember reading Maria V. Snyder's "Study" series a couple years ago and finding myself completely enraptured by the crazy adventures the butt-kicking heroine went on. Which, of course, led me to devouring all of her other books with a speed faster than the Road Runner--beep beep. "Taste of Darkness" is the finale to the "Healer" series, bringing Avry's fight against Tohon and the Skeleton King to a close. Forgive me if I'm sounding a little lukewarm; I ha
Sophia Sardothien
Official Rating 3.8 stars
This book is an stunning conclusion to the trilogy, however it still could have been better. Everything was nicely summed up, if you enjoyed the second book this one would not be a disappointment.

(view spoiler)
Isha
Why do we have to wait so long?!?! I'm really upset with the way Scent of Magic ended. ;~;

ETA: I loved it! A satisfying conclusion to a great trilogy.
Dani (Pen to Paper)
So much love!! Can't believe it's over!
Isabelle
Mar 23, 2013 Isabelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is torture!!! I've read the first two books two months ago, have almost been crying that I have to wait too damn long for the third one. But eventually I was like: give yourself a few days and some more books and you'll soon get over it. But nope, after reading 13 more books I still can't forget, have to think about it every time I start a book and end it... They can just all go home with their wanna-be-kick-ass-females and their style to tell a tale. Maria Snyder, pleeease write more books ...more
Nina
2014?!?!?! Are you kidding me?! After the way Scent of Magic ended...? :(

EDIT:
Thank god it's back to 2013 again...and that I have an ARC ;)
Sinead
I think I'm about to start crying. I don't know which is sadder the ending of the 2nd book or the fact that the next book isn't out till December.
Katy
Dec 21, 2013 Katy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love Avery! I love Kerrick! This is going to be great!
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*MY Thoughts*

Maria V. Snyder's Taste of Darkness ends the Healer trilogy in a fashion that should leave readers pleasantly surprised and not wondering what the hell just happened. While you still have to wonder if your favorite characters will be spared by the often times used kill them off before they can reach the conclusion of the series feature, I can honestly say that this books ending won't leave you tossing the book in the bonfire or screaming in agony.

I find my
Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
After having enjoyed Scent of Magic rather more than the first book in the series, I was really looking forward to Taste of Darkness for an epic conclusion to this tale. Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed by a rather lack-lustre storyline and an abrupt ending.

This book should have been called Taste of Rescue. The whole story is more or less a series of adventures, travelling around the realms rescuing various people from various enemies. In-between each rescue are snippets of Avry caring f
Sabrina
Jan 02, 2014 Sabrina marked it as next-in-series  ·  review of another edition
Sep 26, 2013 (before reading)
Dear Netgalley,
you didn't give me Shooting Scars nor Dead Girls Don't Lie. They say third times are the charm, so could you please at least give me this one?

Nov 11, 2013 (before reading)
Cute kittens don't work anymore, I guess :(

Schermata 2013 10 31 alle 14 29 13
Megan
2014 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! why oh why would you do this to me.. :( After the way it ended..... CANT. FREAKING .WAIT.

YES! it has been changed to Dec 2013.... now if we could get that to March 2013 I would be even happier.... pretty please??
Eunice Biblioceraptor
Wow OK I feel the need to point out how subtly and unexpectedly clever this novel is. I was expecting an indulgent medieval-ya-fantasy-with-a-slight-dash-of-romance à la Graceling, but I feel like this novel outdid itself. It had the political and military tactics Graceling sometimes lacked, and delves deeper into the motives of the villains in ways Graceling did not - they were a lot more complex, and grey, and easier to 'empathise' with (if that is what you want). Taste of Darkness was almost ...more
Anne Osterlund
Kerrick is missing.

Avery refuses to believe he is dead, but her desperate search turns up nothing and there is still a war to be fought. So she leaves a message and continues on to help collect Death Lily toxin, treat the patients in the infirmary, and defy the Skeleton King—among other felonious villains attempting to destroy the Kingdoms.

Fortunately her instincts prove accurate. Most of the time.

Taste of Darkness is the third and final book in Maria V. Snyder’s Healer series. Practically ever
Maria Kaye
**3 stars**

What can I say? It could've been better. The ending felt very rushed. And Tohon's final moment? It was so anticlimactic.
Irma!!!
OMG!!! It has a cover!!!!!!! And I LOVE it sooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really cant wait for this book!!!!!!!

Update 3: There's a summary or whatever it's called!! I read it and now I want the book even more!! And WHAT?? Kerrick is missing? Well at least he's not dead.

Update 2: Oooo... A new Title. I like this one too, but I liked Scent of Death better for some reason. But at least, this title doesn't remind you that someone might die!!

Update 1: I Can't wait for this book!!! Why must it
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Absolutely loved it! Maria has written another amazing story and the perfect end for Avry and Kerrick! I'm actually a little sad there won't be more from the Fifteen Realms!
Jodes
Taste of Darkness is the third and final installment of the Avry of Kazan/ Healer series. As a final book in a series it does not disappoint.

This series has become a favorite of mine, from the thrilling adventure to the wide cast of some of the most fabulous and lovable characters, a swooning romance and a world to get lost in. Keeping with the tone of the last two books this one keeps the pace of adventure and romance moving swiftly.

Avry, Kerrick and the rest of their merry gang are put throu
Nina
Dec 25, 2012 Nina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: find-these
Healer #2 is going to be a serious heartbreak. How will I wait for the third book? DECEMBER 2013 is too far!!!!
Andrea
An A+ finish to an A+ series. also kerrick is bae.
  • Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)
  • River of Dreams (Nine Kingdoms, #8)
  • Royal Airs (Elemental Blessings, #2)
  • Allegiance (Legacy, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Darkfall (Healing Wars, #3)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Pushed (Sense Thieves, #2)
  • Diamonds and Deceit (At Somerton, #2)
  • The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)
  • Cold Steel (Spiritwalker, #3)
  • The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • Impulse (Submerged Sun, #2)
  • Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5)
Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been ...more
More about Maria V. Snyder...

Healer (3 books)
  • Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
  • Scent of Magic (Healer, #2)
Poison Study (Study, #1) Magic Study (Study, #2) Fire Study (Study, #3) Touch of Power (Healer, #1) Inside Out (Insider, #1)

“But they fight in the name of the creator."
"I don't care if they fight in the name of broccoli. The goal remains the same.”
10 likes
“She put her hands on her hips and surveyed the area with a cocky smile on her face. The smirk spread when the traitor met my gaze.
"No hello for your old friend?" she asked me. "Don't be rude Baby Face."
"Go to hell, Wynn.”