Start by marking “Scent of Roses” as Want to Read:
Scent of Roses

Scent of Roses

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  612 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Elizabeth doesn't believe in ghosts.

But this time she has no choice.

Family counselor Elizabeth Conner isn't sure what to think when Maria Santiago comes to her for help. Pregnant and terrified, Maria claims to be visited each night by the ghost of a little girl, warning her to flee. Her husband, Miguel, a migrant worker at Harcourt Farms in the San Joaquin Valley, dismis
Published December 31st 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Scent of Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scent of Roses

Debbie Heaton
In Martin's paranormal romantic suspense novel, family counselor Elizabeth Conner isn't sure what to think when Maria Santiago came to her for help. Pregnant and terrified, Maria claims to be visited each night by the ghost of a little girl, warning her to flee. Her husband, Miguel, a migrant worker at Harcourt Farms in the San Joaquin Valley, dismisses her fears as hormonal changes. Sympathetic to the young woman, Elizabeth agrees to help by contacting Miguel's employers, who own the cottage wh ...more
Sherry
Mar 22, 2009 Sherry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kathy G
Shelves: 2006-2010
This was a good book. Some of the wording became redundant: fingernail of a moon; sickening sweet, bad element, etc. but it wasn't extreme. The author did an excellent job with making the ghostly appearances eerie; I got the chills once or twice and had to sleep with the kids' night light for a few nights. The author also does well with sex scenes (almost too well).

I think if the author had stuck with one plot, this would have been a 4-star book for me. I found the two plots overwhelming. Okay,
Incredible read. The romance and suspense in this book are on equal footing. The paranormal plot to the book was not unbelievable if one keeps an open mind. This book made me cry and gave me goosebumps. The story draws you in and you can't find a good place to put down. Liz and Zach were great together.
Ceah
This book was a good mix of romance and paranormal. Some of the paranormal incidents gave me the chills, but I wanted to keep reading. The author does a good job of describing some of the ghostly events, and at times can make you think you are smelling the "sickening sweet scent of roses".
Sara
This book freaked me out! Normally "spooky" stuff doesn't bother me. This gave me goose bumps. I looked forward to the end only so I could find out what happened with the ghost.
Britt Gotay
I loved this book! It is a mystery, romance, and paranormal all in the same book. It makes the story line intense and keeps you turning the pages. A definite must read!
Debbie Heaton
Martin has produced another irresistible novel that blends the eerie and unexplainable with her own uniquely sensual style. I couldn't put it down!
Susan
Good involved story - kept my interest. It has ghosts, if you like them. You kind of have to go with the fantasy of it all.
Olean Public Library
Great summer read - interesting - a little romance, a little mystery, and a little "ghost". Keeps your attention.
Diane S.
I realize that the only possible way I can stomach a romance novel is to add ghosts to it!
♥ Miss Jennifer ♥
This book was great!! Gave me goosebumps a couple times too!!! Love Kat Martin! :)
Shawna
Susie James
I spotted a used paperback edition of "Scent of Roses" on our library's swap rack several months ago but didn't give in to temptation until late last week, when I shelled out 10 cents for it, then read it during the weekend. Not totally disappointing, though once again some of the over-writing inherent in this type of novel made me an impatient reader at times. Pretty good job, and if you were a character in Martin's story and didn't believe in ghosts, you would be in for a really rough time.
Linda
This is a most unusual book about spirits and ghosts. The romance between Zack and Elizabeth started because of a mutual friend's sister who saw ghosts in her house. They knew the sister was in danger and they worked together to find out what the problem was and to fix it. They learned that desire also brought them together along with the history of the haunted house.
Hubby
Good story - but not great writing! Towards the end of the book I noticed they used two different names for the same person. I wrote to the author & she admitted the mistake! She acknowledged writing too many stories and not having a sharp editing team.
Suzy
We start with a child's ghost. Stir in a divorced heroine who wants nothing to do with love. Add a hero who is never going to settle down. Stir in a murder, a kidnapping, and associated angst. Vintage Kat Martin. It doesn't get any better.
Catherine
Enjoyed the book. I loved the supernatural twist. Looking forward to reading the rest in the series. I am never disappointed when reading a book by Kat Martin.
Mary Shive
Good read.

Good story line. Interesting characters and development of the story. The book read well and kept me interested throughout. Enjoy this author's style.
Anand Jayakrishnan
A very good romantic thriller from kat martin with right blend of horror,sibling rivalries and humour.Scent of roses is one among the very few books i finished within two days.Author suceeded in portrayal of Harcourt brothers,their rivalry,and bring on Elizabeth Conners,the protogonist between them.Now we expect a triangular love story like in some cheap bollywood flicks.But martin takes us into Santiago family and sweet sickening smell of roses..
Positives are lucid writing style of kat martin.A
Cindy
This book is exactly the kind of story I like best. There's a haunting but it isn't hokey and it's scary but not gross. The only problem I have with it is in places the writing is a bit awkward. Several times I had to re-read a sentence to figure out what she was saying. The dialogue isn't very good either. Sometimes I felt like I was reading the script to a low budget B movie with bad actors reading the badly written lines. Still, I did like the story. I might find something newer by her. Maybe ...more
Kathi
I don't usually read "ghost stories" or horror, but this was more of a love story.
Viktoriya
A little predictable, but still enjoyable.
Scent of Roses is a romance / ghost mystery. I particularly enjoyed this book because of the paranormal spin, and the romance which was neatly interwoven between the mystery / ghost plot. This is a great book to read near Halloween, or anytime you are in the mood for a light-hearted, paranormal storyline. Overall, I think this book is great for readers who are looking for a scary (not too scary) ghost story, and a bit of suspenseful romance in-between the mysterious plot.
Alicia
I checked this out of the library, thinking it might be a good go-to-sleep book (like anything by Richard North Patterson, or lately, Stephen King - 'Lisey's Story' & 'Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon', I'm looking at you). But it kept my attention &, despite some painfully clunky dialogue straight out of Harlequin c. 1965, it was effectively spooky. Also, after fearing I'd lost in at one of the airports & would have to buy it for $45, when I found it I felt compelled to actually read it.
Brittany
i'm not really a fan of anything paranormal, but i'll give doubt to calling this book that for it wasn't exactly promoting it, the skepticism of the characters kept me from disliking that part. i liked the relationship between liz and zach but toward the end it started to get a little excessive and repetitve about how they're both "loners and always will be". slightly corny at times but overall i thought it was pretty good, cute, and recommendable.
Heather
The only reason I'm giving this book 4 stars is because when I first started reading it, I just couldn't get into it. I have no idea why but I just couldn't. But once I DID start getting into it, I really got into it. I love Kat Martin & the stories she writes, she's quickly becoming one of my favorite writers.

I'd recommend this book if you enjoy a good 'ghost' story, which I do. It's intriguing & I enjoyed the characters.
Candace Herbst
Very good book. I didnt guess the ending.
Lynne
So much of the angst at the end of this story comes from just not speaking your feelings, yes, that is a common plot. What bothered me was that Zach, the person who didn't think he could commit or love was able to tell Liz how he felt, yet Liz, the counselor, couldn't tell Zach how she felt. Even to the point that Liz didn't even seem to notice that she hadn't responded to his declaration. Lame.
Amy
This was a 3.5 to me. It is a little lighter than the usual style of crime/suspense books I enjoy, and heavier on the romance than the suspense. But the characters were engaging enough and I liked the paranormal aspect. I skimmed over the usual "do I dare to fall in love" angst and focused on the conclusion of the murder and ghost storyline and it was just exciting enough that I was not disappointed.
L8blmr
Oct 11, 2008 L8blmr rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the genre and/or author
Recommended to L8blmr by: Generally read this author; old habit!
I have mixed feelings about this ghost story, the first in a series of three about women who have "paranormal" abilities (according to the author). Parts of the story I really liked, while other portions dragged or were repetitive. I enjoyed the second in the series far more (The Summit).
  • Pirates
  • At the Edge (Psychic Triplet Trilogy, #1)
  • The Seance (Harrison Investigation, #5)
  • Thicker Than Water (Mordecai Young, #1)
  • Gambler's Woman
  • Amanda Rose
  • Larger Than Life
  • Close to You (Lost Texas Heart, #3)
  • Out of Body (Court of Angels, #1)
  • Ancient Revenge (Merryweather Lodge, #1)
Kathleen Kelly Martin (aka Kathy Lawrence, Kasey Mars)

Kathleen Kelly was born on 14 July 1947 in the Central Valley of California, USA. She obtained a degree in Anthropology and History from the University of California in Santa Barbara. She was a real estate broker, when she met her future husband, Larry Jay Martin. A short time after the two became acquainted, Larry asked her to read an unpublis
More about Kat Martin...
Against the Wind (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #1) Against the Law (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #3) Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #4) Against the Fire (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #2) The Bride's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy #1)