Start by marking “A Gentleman 'til Midnight” as Want to Read:
A Gentleman 'til Midnight

A Gentleman 'til Midnight

The complication they don't want…...

Lady Katherine Kinloch survived captivity once. Now the notorious captain of her own ship, she refuses to let anyone jeopardize her hard-won freedom. But on a voyage to England to fight for her family's endangered estate, Katherine is thrown off course when she unknowingly rescues celebrated naval captain James Warre…, a man who stands f
Published December 31st 2013 by Harlequin HQN (first published November 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Gentleman 'til Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gentleman 'til Midnight

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Setting: Georgian England and the High Seas

Steam factor: Steamy,(but a fan not needed)

Lady Katherine Kinloch also known as the infamous sea captain Corsair Kate,who greatly prizes her hard won freedom and holds onto the dream of saving her family Estate for her daughter who is half-Moorish and blind. Corsair Kate is on her way back to England to claim her title when circumstances happen and she ends up pulling a man out of the sea.
Captain James Warre is haunted by the role he plays in Katherine'
Dorine
Aug 30, 2013 Dorine rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, scottish
Also posted at TBR Mountain Range.

Swashbuckling good fun is to be had when a woman captains a ship that is rumored to be involved in less than legal behavior, and then she is forced to act as a lady to retain her inheritance. London has never seen the likes of this or the line-up of men ready to wed her for the value of her land.

From the waters of the Strait of Gibraltar to a London masquerade and then off to Scotland, this historical romance novel is a romp with pirate panache. It begins in 176
Alycia
I had a hard time getting into this book. It had an interesting premise, but was not for me. Sea stories are just not my cup of tea, but I wanted to try a new author and Alison DeLaine's book seemed promising. I recommend this book to fans of historical romance who enjoy squashbucking tales.

*Thank you to Harlequin for providing me with a copy in exchange for a book.
Nancy Brady
Nov 27, 2013 Nancy Brady rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
This is the first in this historical romance series that features strong women who are in roles traditionally held by men. Captain Katherine Kinloch pulls Captain James Warre out of the sea and saves his life. However, there is already history between them, and it is going to take changes in each of them to forgive and forget the past. Like the others in the series, giving up control and admitting that passion, lust, and love is theirs for the taking is never easy for these couples.

Although rea
Tin
Dec 12, 2013 Tin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is a 3.5-star book for me so I rounded it to 4.

* * *

Disclosure: I received this ARC via Netgalley. Thank you to Harlequin HQN and Alison DeLaine for the opportunity. Yes, this is an honest review.

* * *

Corsair Kate is a legend in the maritime world, who has taken numerous ships as prizes in her career as captain of the Possession. Now she is returning to England, prepared to defend and protect her heritage and her title as Countess of Dunscore from her conniving cousin and his accomplice, Ni
Pamela
Aug 18, 2016 Pamela rated it really liked it
Lady Katherine Kinloch will never be at a man's beck and call again. She survived what could have been a very bad life for her, and she has rose above it all. Certain circumstances have kept Katherine at sea, but she does not regret her decision to be a pirate. She is sailing back toward her home, a place she has been away from forever, when she engages in battle with another ship, and ends up with a prisoner, Captain James Warre.

James does not treat Katherine well in the beginning, but mostly b
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
*I received a free ARC of A Gentleman 'Til Midnight from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

Another historical romance for the win! The heroine starts out as the captain of a ship! And she is made of awesome :)

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Bibliothekerin
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, because I had not heard of the author before nor read any of her other books.

The one thing that bothered/bothers me however, was/is the stupid title. I suspect some "suit" in NYC chose it, not the author, because it is sadly typical of romance titles--cheesy and cliche. And in this particular case, does not even make sense. ("Midnight"?!?)
Maria
May 02, 2015 Maria rated it did not like it
Απίστευτα απογοητευτικό. Αν και καλογραμμένο δεν μπόρεσα να ταυτιστώ καθόλου με του ήρωες. Δεν υπήρχε χημεία και σ αρκετά σημεία η ιστορία ήταν αδικαιολόγητα φλύαρη.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
DNF-I found the heroine unlikable and her actions and thoughts unstable. I also had issues with the narrative. I couldn't figure out whom was speaking to whom. I may revisit in the future.
Kathy
Jan 09, 2014 Kathy rated it it was ok
Cinzia
Dec 17, 2014 Cinzia rated it really liked it

Nice story, compelling and with a beautiful heroine and a nearly worthy male protagonist.
Almost, because I believe that in this book the character of Lady Katherine is really at a higher level in comparison to James.
Why did I love so much Lady Katherine? For her fierce independence and desire for freedom, her strength and her pride. After being kidnapped in her youth and became a slave in a distant country, she could have let go to self-pity and instead she managed to live through this experienc
Alexandra
Dec 02, 2013 Alexandra rated it liked it
I received this book from Goodreads, with a request, but not a requirement, to write a review (I don't work for Goodreads, Amazon, any publisher or agent. I'm not a friend or acquaintance of the author. I just like books).

I was excited to get a copy of this book, because I had already read something by Alison DeLaine -- "The Trouble With Virtue/A Lady by Day" -- a joint publication with another author, and I really liked that effort by this author. Actually I liked it a bit better than "A Gentle
Taryn
Dec 15, 2013 Taryn rated it really liked it
It's hard to be a villain when a heroin has a cutlass to your manhood.

I received this book as a Goodreads FirstRead Giveaway.

This book was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a tale of two captains dueling for command of a ship and of their passions. First there is Corsair Kate, a.k.a. Lady Katherine Kinlock, the fiery captain of Possession. And then there is Captain James Warre of the royal navy, whom Katherine rescues after his ship goes down. And while they do fight their passions, th
Tracy
Dec 22, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This was a good book, though at times I didn’t care for how upity and stand offish Katherine was. Her tendency to leap without thinking at the worst possible times time and time again did become grating. Oh she had good reason to be scared and to want to run away and hide, but with people depending on her she should have been smarter and thought t
Julia
What a better way to start a day then to find a historical romance book that takes new turns on beloved tropes. A Gentleman to Midnight goes from the high seas back to England all the while dealing with titles, family and a smoldering connection between our leads James and Katherine. Let’s SCORE it.

(Check out my full SCORE at The Broke and the Bookish, but here was the overview)

The Overview
Overall I liked it. It was a fun story filled with fun characters and a unique plot. I wanted more high se
Maria
Sep 02, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
The more I read historical romances, I’m learning what I like to read in the genre. And I’ve discovered that pirates are one of them. Shana Galen has done it (The Rogue Pirate’s Bride and The Pirate Takes a Bride) as has Katharine Ashe in her Rogues of the Sea series. Despite living landlocked, I am enchanted with everything seaworthy and, in this exciting Georgian era story, a female pirate takes center stage making for an entertaining and original romance.

Captain Katherine Kinloch has a scanda
BRNTerri
SETTING: England, 1767

I'm sorry to say I didn't like this book at all. No part of it, except for the little cat, Mr. Bogles. I like the hero alright but I couldn't stand the heroine, Katherine. She's very unfriendly, downright bitchy, actually, and I don't see how any reader could like her. I also could have done without Anne, her blind eight or nine year old daughter. She didn't add anything to the story.

I received this book from the publisher and GoodReads in exchange for an honest review.

Photobucket

Regina
Nov 27, 2013 Regina rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the book. It has new twists on the historical romance front. The story is is interesting and moves at a good speed. It portrayed the struggles of women who are strong and have the courage to refuse to succumb to the expectations of the roles women should take and the lengths some women will go to maintain their independence. I also liked the fact that the main characters were seasoned characters instead of the virgin all is wonderful stories. For a first time writer, I think th ...more
Kati
Dec 25, 2013 Kati rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, first-reads
I received this as a Goodreads win. I didn't expect much out of this novel, to be honest. The premise was somewhat far-fetched, the author is not one I'd seen or heard of before. I wound up loving Katherine and James, aching for their struggles, and adoring Anne. I look forward to the next of Ms. DeLaine's stories.... I'm sure the next will be India and Nick, I'm hoping to see Honoria, Phil, and William each get their love stories, and I hope that in time we will even see a story for Anne hersel ...more
Lisa Dess
Feb 02, 2014 Lisa Dess rated it really liked it
I received this ARC from the publisher.

I don't read outside of my preferred genres often and when I do always fear I may not like the book. This book gave me hope in reading outside of my preferred genres more often.

I enjoyed this book. Katherine is a tough, stubborn, strong female lead. Although, she initially appears abrasive, by the end of the book you really understand why she has the hard exterior. The book was well paced and kept my attention .
Harlequin Books
"TOP PICK! DeLaine's dynamic debut is a high-seas adventure/lovers' banquet with all the drama of a pirate voyage and the passion of a battle-of-wills romance. Not only is the cast of characters superb - with an unconventional heroine, wounded hero and little Alice - but the adventures are exciting, the action non-stop and the love story intriguing. DeLaine's powerful storytelling will keep romance readers enthralled. Watch for more from this newcomer!" RT Book Reviews, 4 1/2 Stars
Xondra Day
Dec 27, 2013 Xondra Day rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, first-reads
*Copy via Goodreads First Reads!*

I have mixed feelings about this book. On one side I can tell that there was a fair bit of research done by the author. She's also a very good writer. On the other side I felt there was way too many secondary characters and I had to keep asking myself who they were over and over. I know this was done to set up for other books in the series. Unfortunately the story itself wasn't enough to hold my attention.
Annee
Jul 25, 2016 Annee rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big book reviewer, nor do I give five stars freely, but A Gentleman 'til Midnight is so well written and well edited I can't resist saying so. This is a fantastic book, debut or otherwise. I loved reading it from the beautifully phrased beginning to The End. The Audible narrator was perfect, as well. I can't wait to read Alison DeLaine's other works.
Jeweleye
Aug 18, 2016 Jeweleye rated it really liked it
DeLaine has written a fine story. The characters are vivid and memorable. The descriptions crackle with authenticity. The story moves smoothly from scene to scene. Although romance is not usually my first choice of genre, I was sucked in from the beginning. Well done! I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
Mary
Sep 26, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
3.5 stars. There were very exciting and dramatic parts to the book and plenty of missed opportunities. I have no idea why this book is named A Gentleman 'til Midnight. The ending was very abrupt. The heroine acted kind of crazy sometimes. The secondary characters of William, Millicent, and Nick seemed very interesting to me. If they have books, I'm going to read them.
Kelsey
Nov 27, 2013 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! I especially liked James and Katherine's interactions with each other, it was very entertaining. I like how the female character was very strong and opinionated and didn't let anyone walk all over her. (view spoiler) I can't wait to see who the next book is about.
Tamara
Mar 30, 2014 Tamara rated it did not like it
I loved the opening of this book. A high adventure at sea, I was in. But then 2/3rds of the book was a landlocked court/marriage story I didn't care about. While onboard the Possession, there was tension, drama and a kickass female captain. If only that had been the majority of this one. It's would have been so much better.
Daisy
Feb 21, 2014 Daisy rated it really liked it
4.5/5
Agnese
Jan 07, 2015 Agnese rated it liked it
3.5
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 12:54PM
  • The Dark Lady (Mad Passions, #1)
  • Soldier of Fortune (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #2 )
  • Sweet Revenge (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1)
  • Sonata for a Scoundrel (Music of the Heart, #1)
  • The Trouble with Virtue: A Comfortable Wife/A Lady By Day
  • Wicked Little Secrets (Wicked Little Secrets, #1)
  • Taming a Wild Scot (Claimed by the Highlander, #1)
  • Lady of Scandal (Scandal, #1)
  • For the Love of a Soldier
  • Beauty and the Bounty Hunter (Once Upon a Time in the West, #1)
  • The Jade Temptress (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #2)
  • The Accidental Countess (Accidental, #2)
  • The Smuggler Wore Silk (Spy in the Ton, #1)
  • Must Love Dukes (Tricks of the Ton, #1)
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • The Scoundrel's Seduction (House of Trent, #3)
  • After the Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #4)
  • Forever a Lord (The Rumor, #3)
Alison DeLaine lives in rural Arizona, where she tries to keep her hillbilly side under control (but generally fails) and can often be found driving a dented old pickup truck out to her mining claim in the desert. When she’s not busy striking it rich, waiting on spoiled pets, or keeping her husband in line, she is happily putting characters through the wringer. Alison is a two-time Golden Heart® f ...more
More about Alison DeLaine...