Early Bird

Early Bird

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Early Bird wakes up before the sun. She is hungry. What will she have for breakfast?

With language that emphasizes action words, this is a fun story for morning, nighttime, any time.
Published January 28th 2014 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Early Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Early Bird

Early Bird by Toni YulyDuck, Duck, Moose! by Sudipta Bardhan-QuallenOld Mikamba Had a Farm by Rachel IsadoraThumpy Feet by Betsy LewinCheese Belongs To You by Alexis Deacon
New Read-Alouds
1st out of 15 books — 4 voters
The Legend Of Everwinter by Tara BehanWindow Music by Anastasia SuenMe And My Friends Around The World by Sowechhya LimbuWhere to Sleep by Kandy RadzinskiUnder My Hood I Have a Hat by Karla Kuskin
Toddler Reads
11th out of 11 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
This book is confusing albeit the illustrations are enjoyable.

A) I thought this book would be one of those themed read between the lines of "Kids enjoy waking up because that may be THE REST OF YOUR LIFE..." Uh. No.

B) I proceeded to see the worm and think, "Oh man! This is going to be good...a classic Jon Klassen ending. Uh. No.

Result:

A book about sharing?! I haven't seen any pictures of this happening: Not even on: Cute Overload... I understand that there are inter-species friendship... but...more
Cari Williams
Early Bird was a very fun read, especially as a read aloud for early readers. The book is about a young bird who always rises early to find breakfast. The author takes us through grass, flowers, spider webs, in the air, around corners and many more places. The early bird eventually finds a worm. And in the real world we all know that birds eat worms. But in this story the author surprises us by having the bird not eat the worm but share a strawberry for breakfast with him. I really enjoyed readi...more
Alison
My first reaction to holding this book in my hands -"Oh look, it's a Partridge!" & start humming, "C'mon Get Happy" in my head...Yes, I grew up in the 70's & 80's...

That little trip down memory lane aside-this book is incredibly sweet.

Each page is one of action and discovery for our Early Bird, as she moves through the beginning of her day. Starting off with a big tall stretch and deep breath, away she goes,through the daisy patch, under a sticky spider web, passing flowers, fences, but...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is a cute story about a bird, who's an early riser. She's not the only who gets up early. There's someone she's meeting when the sunrises, in the garden. I enjoyed the fact that this story is simple in it's story telling, making it incredibly easy for toddlers and young readers to follow along. It's also a great beginning reader book. The illustrations are cute, and I loved that they're not overly detailed. This again is beneficial to young readers, as the vividly bright and catchy illustra...more
Barbara
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Well, first, I was kind of annoyed that the bird was walking on the ground. And then I was pretty disappointed that the bird didn't eat the worm. Cause birds eat worms and sharing a strawberry with them isn't odd enough to make it entertaining either. So, so much for the story since that's about all there was to it. The illustrations were also a little blah for me despite the bright colors and bold black lines. I think the shapes were just too simple to be that interesting.
Amy
Remember the old adage “The early bird gets the worm?” It never does say what the bird should DO with it. Early Bird’s journey to the worm clearly illustrates a series of prepositions (under the web, over the cat) rendered in bright, high contrast graphics. Early Bird contemplates eating the early worm, but decides to share a strawberry instead. This is a sweet, even if unrealistic, choice for young listeners both in laps and at story time.
Mary
The early bird likes to be up early and get her day started before the sun. She finds a worm and together they share breakfast. I laughed out loud when I found out that the bird didn't eat the worm. There is a picture when the bird has the worm in its mouth, but the book takes a different turn than that which is expected.

The text is written in a way to promote print awareness, the pictures are large and colorful.
June
May 13, 2014 June rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: early picture book requests
Recommended to June by: Capitolchoices.org
Shelves: picture-book
I am not one for soft, retellings. If you don't like the message of a folktale or saying don't use it. I think many children are over protected and that it does not help them. One of life's lesson it that life is not fair. Pretending that birds don't eat worms or can be their friends to me is only going to warp a child's world view.
Stella Fowler
Sweet with cute illustrations and simple text.

I found the end a little confusing. I wanted the Early Bird to eat the Early Worm, because that's what the saying is...and I didn't want to see that happen. But sharing strawberries was just too much, I thought.

Despite that, I would recommend Early Bird for young readers.
Jill
Great vocab book where words like over, under, through mimic what they are. For instance, the word around curves around the corner giving a visual cue to the word's meaning. Illustrations are clean and bright making this a great storytime book for a young and/or wiggly group.
Great Books
Early Bird is awake has an adventure through the garden to find the early worm. But, the story doesn’t end there; it has a twist ending. The youngest of audiences will be charmed by the bright illustrations and simple story.

Reviewer 18
Sharon Lawler
Uncluttered and brightly colored illustrations, executed in pen and ink and digital media, relate the story of an early bird and an early worm who share a strawberry for breakfast. Perfect for toddler storytime!
Carol
The Early Bird gets the worm! Or does he? You might be a little surprised by the humorous ending to this simple story. Simple, yet bold illustrations accompany large and easy text in this cute little book.
The Book Maven
In two-dimensional yet surprisingly cute illustrations, we see the early bird catch the worm--and then share a lovely breakfast of strawberries with it! Quaint, but not particularly realistic.
Paula
Waking up before the sun and realizing that she is very hungry, Early Bird takes a deep breath and begins searching for a tasty breakfast, in a boldly colored story that emphasizes action words.
Samantha
A bit of surprise ending here in the journey of the early bird and worm. Simple enough for reading aloud or adapting to a flannelboard.

Pen and ink and digital illustrations. PreK-2.
Alison
I loved the vibrant colors and shades of blue - my favorite color! Also, the ending is too cute. The early bird catches the early worm, but he shares something with him too!
Vilo
Simple, elegant text with a surprise at the end. The Bird goes under the fence, over the cat. The illustrations enhance the story and match the poetry of the words.
Linda Atkinson
Love the bright, bold illustrations. Perfect for baby lapsit, toddlers, and preschoolers who I believe will especially love the ending.
Marcia
Charming illustrations in bright primary colors with lots of action in the simply told story of a bird who "wakes up before the sun."
Rachel
A great twist on the old adage "the early bird gets the worm", bold and graphic illustrations add to the sparse text.
Jocelin
Super sweet little book. Great storytime book for littlest of little ones. I thought it was precious and endearing.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
The only thing is the bird doesn't act quite like a real bird at the end. Otherwise I really liked it.
Lynn
Nice done for a toddler with simple text and outlined simple figures. Cute ending adds a bit extra.
Franki Sibberson
Great book for new readers, baby gift, plot structure--a fun surprise at the end! Love the illustrations.
Christine
Energetic Early Bird leads young readers through a host of directional terms.
Brindi
this was sweet, and i loved the ending. perfect for toddlers
Ami
Pretty cute. Unfortunately, this wouldn't work for Storytime.
Ghislaine
Full of good prepositions "under the spiderweb", "over the cat", etc.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »