Start by marking “The Saxon Shore (A Dream of Eagles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Saxon Shore (A Dream of Eagles, #4)

The Saxon Shore (Camulod Chronicles #4)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,527 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Published 1996 by Penguin Canada (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Saxon Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saxon Shore

Jonathan
Nov 01, 2014 Jonathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In one book, Whyte manages to shift his depiction of Merlyn from an imposing, swift-minded, respectable leader with a few forgivable flaws to an immune deficient and perpetually horny leader who often neglects his duties and relies on the knowledge and quick-thinking of others the vast majority of the time. By p707, when Merlyn falls ill for the Nth--but not the last--time, I wished the title was Merlyn Dies at the End. I would've enjoyed the ending more.

No such luck.

This book is well-researched
Karen
Aug 01, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've raved about his other books and this one is just as well written. His research and writing are astonishing! I've read his Eagles Brood series and now am onto his "Knights Templar Trilogy". If you want an awesome story with great characters that is historical in nature read all of Jack Whyte's books!
Deborah Pickstone

I just love this series! With all its wordiness, it never bores me. I do find myself wondering why his men follow Merlyn, though - he seems to be more autocratic, though well-intentioned, than wise in his choices and actions. Nonetheless, I read on fully engaged, so JW must be doing something very right in his story! :P
Benjamin Thomas
I continue to marvel at this series, enjoying every minute of reading it even though the individual books seem to be getting longer and longer. Topping over 700 pages, this volume is not a quick read but I’m fine with that because while the richness of the story spurns me on to read faster, the atmosphere and Jack Whyte’s style of writing compel me to read slower just so I can spend more time with it. Yeah…it’s one of those.

The final chapters of the previous book in the series, The Eagles' Brood
Elaine
Feb 05, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fabulous addition to the much praised Camulod series, by the ever talented Whyte. To date, this has been my favourite in the series. Granted it reiterates a good portion of the events of the previous novel-but this does not detract from it's readability, and serves in fact as a useful tool to refocus on past events in the political scene.

We follow Merlin in his quest to bring the young child Arthur home safely and commence his education. However problems and threats abound, so many chang
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is the fourth book in the "Camulod Chronicles" series. The first book, The Skystone I rated five stars, the second and third books The Singing Sword and The Eagles' Brood four stars. Notice a trend? Yeah, and this one gets rated three stars. That first book earned the five stars because I was so impressed with Whyte's attempts to completely ground the legends of Merlin and King Arthur in a realist, historical way. For instance, in the first book, the sword of Excalibur is special both becau ...more
David
May 31, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Whyte performs an excellent swan dive into Pre-Arthurain Britain, as he continues to set up the tale of King Arthur. This time, Whyte manages to teach us about leprosy, political theory of kingship vs. Emperorship, the many people groups in Britain, those migrating to and from Britain, and a little about the evolution of medeival warfare.

Whyte seems to have a firm graps on the many people groups-- some of whom I had only heard of by playing the wargame Brittanica--and describing the
Aaron Althuizen
Sep 06, 2012 Aaron Althuizen rated it it was amazing
Another amazing series by Jack Whyte. If you enjoy being immersed into the story, these tales will certainly provide you with the right tools.

From Wikipedia:
'The novels are a rendition of the Arthurian legend that attempt to propose a possible explanation for the foundation of Camulod (an alternate spelling of Camelot), Arthur's heritage and the political situation surrounding his existence. The setting series begins during the Roman departure from Britain and continues for 150 years ending duri
Jessiqa
Mar 02, 2014 Jessiqa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-but-unowned
This is the fourth book in The Camulod Chronicles. As with the others, it is very detailed in its recreation of Britain in the decades following Rome's withdrawal. As Arthur is a young boy in this story, the names of certain characters are starting to become more familiar, while my brain searches for the characters I know from other versions of the Arthurian Legend.

I'm not sure the reason why, but I took far longer to read this than I had any of the previous installments. I had the renew the bo
Katie Ann
May 27, 2012 Katie Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, fourth in the series, I went and purchased the rest of the series, since I know they are difficult to find in the library and not available on Kindle. Merlyn is a captivating character and I'm pleased to see he remains in the next book. I can't help but notice that his narrative is very close to Publius Varrus' and they appear to be the same character to me with different circumstances. That fact doesn't detract me from continuing because I like the Publius character. Ma ...more
Bill
Jan 23, 2010 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, historical
If this were Middle Earth, we'd be done by now. Somehow Jack Whyte is managing to keep this story going 500-700 pages at a time. At moments, I'd like it to go faster. At other times, I appreciate the care and detail going into the story of this time and place.

This book helps round out the character of Merlyn by showing him and us the humanity of those in the world that are not of Camulod. He sees that everyone from lepers through Danes and Ersemen are as human as he and his Brits. This will like
Brian
Apr 02, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You would think that after the 4th book in a 8 (or 9) book series about King Arthur one might get a little bit bored - nope! This series is a masterpiece and is an absolute must read for fans of this genre - especially if they want a historical take on the subject rather than the typical mystical approach.
Cindy Kirkland
Apr 21, 2014 Cindy Kirkland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This grew on me. I did not like it she I started it but as I got into the story I began to really enjoy the story. I will have to find the rest of the books that come after this one.
Miscreation
Jul 07, 2008 Miscreation rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth in the Camulod series
From the goodreads page:

"Merlyn Britannicus and Uther Pendragon---the Silver Bear and the Red Dragon---are the leaders of the Colony, lifeblood to the community from which will come the fabled Camulod.
But soon their tranquillity is in ruins, Uther lies dead from treachery, and all that is left of the dream is the orphaned babe Arthur. Heir to the Colony of Camulod, born with Roman heritage as well as the blood of the Hibernians and the Celts, Arthur is the living inca
Taksya
.Siamo nel campo della leggenda, ma ancora con velleità storiche.
Non più legioni romane, ma lezioni sulle differenze tra celti e celti e tra sassoni, angli e danesi... forse utile, ma solo per occupare spazio.
Artù cresce ma, tralasciando Merlino e Vortigen, altri nomi famosi non se ne riconoscono.
Probabilmente ci sono e, con un po' di impegno, si potrebbe anche giocare al chi è chi.
Ma la storia è frammentaria, non esiste più il piacere della riscoperta dei fatti storici e manca ancora qualche an
Katherine Gordy Levine
Read almost everything I can get on my hands about Merlin, the Saxons and the Celts. I do so because I hope in time to finish and publish my own Merlin Series.

Many I read to the end but don't feel moved to list or recommend. Was happy to stumble on Whyte's works. I had just finshed the Ravens of Avalon - Paxson's follow up on Bradley's Avalon Series. I finished it but with eye's dragging. Whyte's moved faster, had more twists and turns and made me care more about the character's. He is touted as
Daniel Berthiaume
Mar 02, 2016 Daniel Berthiaume rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fantasy and great series. I love it. King Arthur stay as imagined by the author.
Elaine
Sep 03, 2010 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merlyn (Celt-Roman) during Arthur's orphaned childhood (4300AD) For 400 years, under the Pax Romana, the whole country of Britain was united. One set of laws, one system of government. When Rome withdrew small kingdoms formed under warlords, causing civil wars. Uther Pendragon was king in Cambria, Lot in Cornwall. Uther and Lot's wife Ygraine were Arthur's parents. Uther was Merlyn's cousin.
Arthur was Celt, Roman and Hibernian Scot(Ygraine)

Julius Caesar was born by Caesarian section.

Anglians cam
Robert Risher
Dec 28, 2011 Robert Risher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Equally as compelling as the previous book, and it left me ready to jump into the next volume. Whyte is great at returning to plot points seemingly lost in the density of his work, and it's always satisfying to see that he hasn't forgotten loose ends. The ending of this book is similarly satisfying and is terribly compelling in furthering my reading of the series. The length of his eight novels seemed a daunting task when I picked up the first, but I'm thoroughly glad that I did, and they contin ...more
Jenny
Nov 13, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given it 4-4.5 stars, but the grammatical mistakes and gloating punctuation were too much of a distraction in the e-book. It's 'Camulod', not 'Gamulod'! The periods and commas mid-sentence and double words permeated the entire book and served to be a huge distraction. I'm really enjoying the story one, but if the next book is as poorly edited, I'm not sure I'll finish the series.
Tiffany
Aug 19, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
The next story in the series deals with Merlyn and how he raises young Arthur from an orphaned baby. There are many battles on the side, and dealings with the Outlanders, the Picts, the Saxons, as well as their own people, and the Celts, the Scotti, and Rome. You can't help but learn about history in reading this series, it is so well researched and laid out. As well, some of the fantastical "Magical Merlyn" myths are made real, and give the story an authentic nature. I recommend this series in ...more
May 01, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continua la saga di Excalibur e di tutti i personaggi che le girano intorno. Avvincente, nuove avventure e nuovi risvolti per Artù e compagni. Saga assolutamente da continuare.
Carl Gilliam
I got to page 400. It was ok for me. Didn't spark my interest as much and I was in a hurry to start up another book.
January
Aug 06, 2009 January marked it as didnt-finish
I think I read the previous books in the series too quickly, and I started to get bored. I can't really remember what's happening anymore, but will finish it eventually.

Started the book January 14, 2008.
---------------------------------------
August 3, 2009
Started reading the book again. James is reading the series as well, so I had better finish this book so I'm done when he gets to it.
Miranda
Mar 27, 2012 Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthurian
Mr. Whyte continues to weave history into the story of King Arthur's origins. So far Arthur has had very little part in the story but one doesn't mind as the main characters of The Saxon Shore are engaging and humourous. I am enjoying this series immensely and it will likely end up being my favourite Arturian series at the close.

The book's strong points are the prose and dialogue.
Jacob
Jan 05, 2016 Jacob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, from_library
Another good entry in the series. It's 9 books, each of which is ~500 pages, and takes its sweet time on all kinds of interludes. However, I enjoy the writing and the story, set in a world that Jack Whyte really makes come alive in my head. So I don't mind that there's a lot here that really isn't directly relevant to the purpose of the series - a retelling of the King Arthur legend.
Samantha Savage
Jan 26, 2013 Samantha Savage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This book series is really not what I expected but I continue to be amazed at how realistic everything is and how everything in this series could have actually happended. It is amazing to read the story of King author as historical fiction instead of fantasy and no one could have done a better job of that than Jack whyte. truely an amazing read.
Dean Deters
Aug 07, 2011 Dean Deters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again Merlin tells the story of how Arthur begins his life, and this book focuses on when he is a baby. We begin to see the mystery of Merlin get its start.

This book also introduces the idea of how people become a part of the land. Who is really the native, the intruder, and the rightful owner of the land.
Christopher
Feb 14, 2008 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told from the perspective of Meryln Brittainicus. It follows his journey through britain. It deals with the first real schism in the Catholic church and how it related to the common man of the region. He also ventures to Eire(Scotland) on a quest to retrieve his newborn cousin and future High King Arthur.
Nicole Diamond
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Goodreads Librari...: Ramshackle entry needs fixing and more info adding 3 14 Sep 19, 2013 09:56AM
  • The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)
  • Il tradimento
  • The Wicked Day (Arthurian Saga, #4)
  • Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome, #2)
  • High Queen
  • Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2)
  • King Arthur
  • Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2)
  • Sword at Sunset
  • Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain, #2)
  • Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle, #4)
  • Kingdom of the Grail
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • The Third Magic (Forever King, #3)
  • Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish
Jack Whyte is an author and writer born and raised in Scotland, but has been living in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada since 1967.

Whyte's major work to date is the A Dream of Eagles series (as it is titled in Canada, but known as The Camulod Chronicles in the United States and elsewhere). This series of historical novels presents the tale of King Arthur set against the backdrop of Roman Britain.
More about Jack Whyte...

Camulod Chronicles (9 books)
  • The Skystone (Camulod Chronicles, #1)
  • The Singing Sword (Camulod Chronicles, #2)
  • The Eagles' Brood (Camulod Chronicles, #3)
  • The Fort at River's Bend (Camulod Chronicles, #5)
  • The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis (Camulod Chronicles, #6)
  • Uther (Camulod Chronicles, #7)
  • The Lance Thrower (Camulod Chronicles, #8)
  • The Eagle (Camulod Chronicles, #9)

“In the space of a few, bright years, something new stirred in this land; something unprecedented; something wonderful; and men, being men, perceived it with stunned awe and then, being men, destroyed it without thought, for being new and strange.” 1 likes