Start by marking “Sibling Rivals” as Want to Read:
Sibling Rivals
Preview

Sibling Rivals

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Meeting the family shouldn’t be this complicated.

As the designated slacker of the family, Peter Stevens was accustomed to being eclipsed by his “perfect” older brother, Mark. But when Mark came out to their parents one Christmas vacation, it was his turn to be the black sheep.

Even more surreal was Peter’s brief encounter with his brother’s boyfriend, Colin. The unmistakabl
Published October 1st 2013 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Sibling Rivals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sibling Rivals

julio
Aug 29, 2013 julio marked it as to-read
i just got a book boner.

WANT
Ije the Devourer of Books

A knotty love story and a lurvely one.

Peter is rough, ready and bi.
Colin is an English gentleman and gay.

And they have been friends ever since Peter's brother Mark dumped Colin.

And then friendship becomes attraction and attraction becomes love. BUT it is not all plain sailing.

A family crisis occurs and Peter and Mark make the journey home with Colin in tow. And as they travel home long held sibling rivalries ignite. Mark is jealous and wants Colin back. Colin is anxious, Peter is adamant and
SheReadsALot
Now this has the potential to be a HOT MESS...good thing I love hot messes!!
Deeze
This one started out well for me, and I had high hopes but then it started to drag. I was hoping it would pick up again but sadly for me it didn't, and I ended up not really caring what happened.

Neither Mark, Colin or Peter engaged my heart or even my interest. Mark was pratt and Colin and Peter were both rather bland and forgettable.

Overall despite an engaging start this turned into a typical M/M read.

Maybe a little more than a 2 star but not by much.
MareTara SLiTsReaD Reviews~Lover of all things MM
2.5 ROUNDED UP TO 3 STARS FOR ME

READING TO ME IS FEELING I NEED TO FEEL THE EMOTIONS BURNING UP THE PAGES OR IN MY CASE BURING MY HANDS ON MY EREADER... I DIDN'T FEEL THAT WITH THIS BOOK

THE STORY LINE~ GOOD CONCEPT BUT I COULDN'T GET ATTACHED TO EITHER OF THESE GUYS CAUSE IT WAS ALL JUST SORT OF.... FLUFFY

I'VE ROUNDED UP TO 3 BECAUSE THE 1ST TIME PETER (PEETAH IN ENGLISH) WAS WITH A MAN WAS FREAKING HOTT! HE TOOK IT ON LIKE.A.CHAMP

THE FACE SCENE~WOWZA

HIS COMPARISONS BETWEEN A WOMAN AND MAN~
Karen
Ok now I'm going to assume that this is a GR thing because this is the 3rd try at this review as the window keeps disappearing on me. So my full review will be over on Booklikes as soon as I quite being annoyed at the fact that I was almost done when I lost the first review, thanks GR.
Nic
This is an interesting story that explores a sibling relationship in the context of two men and their relationship with the same man. Colin and Mark have a relationship which ends, however Mark's younger brother, the 'straight' Peter, continues corresponding with Colin over a number of years. Eventually Colin offers Peter a place to stay when he moves to Boston.

Mark and Peter are very different and have grown up in a family where initially, Mark was the prefect 'good' son (I struggled with this
Pjm12
Is it realistic for siblings to both be gay? I always think about that.

Mark the older brother, Colin's first Stephen's brother, never redeems himself. He remains a jerk through the whole story. Peter, the keeper, is terrific from the start. His cheerful approach to life, his ability to rise above his own slacker attitude to try to make something of himself is worthy of Colin. I liked that he recognises his attraction to Colin almost immediately and stays in contact.

There are some great funny mo
LauraZu
2.5 STARS

It may deserve more. There really wasn't something wrong with this book.
But I'm giving it 2 stars because it was totally forgettable. At the beginning it had potential. But as it progressed it was just blah, surprisingly it didn't get boring, just completely normal and I couldn't get attached to the characters, I could care less about what happened to them.

Completely bland and forgettable pretty much sums it up.
Hc Lynn
I see where the title came from since there ends up being a lit going on. After an intro to Mark and Collin that follows a breakup very fast, there's few.. cough cough.. FEW not like SEVERAL that seemed implied to me.. years that pass.

Before moving onto the time jump... [The unmistakable sparks between them shook the foundations of his confirmed heterosexuality] WTF? There was NO spark.. Peter tried to make Collin feel better but that was it.

Time forward.. 2 years is a short time to get over som
Suziq
3 Stars, mostly because I really liked Peter, otherwise it's just your run-of-the-mill GFY love triangle with cliched, zealous, bigoted parents.
Jen
Jul 22, 2013 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fv, m-m
Colin and Peter

I couldn't connect to the characters in this one. One of them had too weak of a personality for me. Full review to come on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews
Tina_K
Eh. I read it. Nothing really stood out. I didn't really connect with the characters either.
Lucy
This was okay, but it didn’t grab me. The relationship between Peter and Collin was almost too easy and it meant I wasn’t invest in them. I did finish it but that was mainly because it was an extremely easy read rather than I was massively enjoying Sibling Rivals. In many ways Mark for me was the most interesting character because he actually had a personality and some semblance of character growth... Of course this could just be more proof that I have a thing for bad, mad and mess-up characters ...more
Natasha
Aug 29, 2013 Natasha marked it as to-read
this sparks my inner "just both do it" fantasy, and thats WRONG....

...
Kim Alan
Oct 02, 2013 Kim Alan marked it as kindled
nom nom

cover = yummy
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
peter has always been the brother who didn't live up to his potential. then his brother comes home from college with his boyfriend, and suddenly he isn't the golden child anymore. peter has always been sure of his heterosexuality until he meets colin. when peter's brother screws up his relationship with colin, peter resolves that he will be the responsible one. when he graduates, he moves out of his house and asks to room with colin while he finds a place to live. colin is wary about be
Alisa
One Christmas Peter Stevens is sitting in his parent's home being lectured about his bad behaviors. This is nothing new to Peter. He is used to being the black sheep of the family.

Relief follows quickly when Peter's "perfect" older brother Mark shows up with his friend Colin in tow.

Without any warning or preamble Mark blurts out that he is gay and that Colin is his boyfriend. The Stevens boy's parents react in anger and outrage due to their religious beliefs and demand Mark and Colin get out of
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Sibling Rivals by Summer devon
Favorite Quote: “How did it feel to hold the man he’d loved? Rather suffocating was the answer.

Colin never suspected that when he followed his boyfriend Mark home for the holidays, he would end up alone on Christmas. When Mark Stevens decides to come out of the closet, Mark’s parents kick him and Colin out of their home and that ends their relationship. Colin stays in contact with Peter, Mark’s younger brother, though and ends up offering Peter a place to stay when
Noles (Nola) Pettiford
Sibling Rivalry At It's Best ?? Or Worse ..

This Story For Me Personally Had So Much Potential ...

& Just As It Seemed To Get Where A Happy Medium Was For Me It Was As If The Rug Was Pulled Out From Under My Feet ..

I Still Enjoyed The Story I Just Wanted More For Peter ... More For Collin & Less For Mark .. His Arrogance Pissed Me Off .. His Self Entitlement Pissed Me Off ..

But Still An Enjoyable Read ! I Am Glad That Collin Finally Put Away His Mangina & Reached Out To Peter :)

Pete
Kim
This was a quick read about two brothers who grew up in a conservative household in competition for the same man. I liked that the author focused on the problems the sons had with their parents when their mother became ill. The older brother, Mark, came out as gay early on in the book and then the younger sibling, Peter, who had been straight, came out as "gay for you" for the older sibling's ex-boyfriend Colin. I wish the story had focused on Mark and Colin rather than Peter and Colin because M ...more
Tami (synchro from BL)
Surprisingly good - and no icky brothers business I liked the story flow, the imperfect characters, the family history interwoven with the love story.

It was a good read, not too fluffy and a slow development from the first attraction to the relationship.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and while it may not exactly deserve such a high rating stylistically or even technically, the characters were likable and engaging, the romance was sweet, and there was a minimum of wangsty idiocy that I respect.
Shaz
While I enjoyed this one, it did have a few niggles that prevented me from rating it higher.

It was a good story. The characters were interesting. The relationships very complicated...nearly too much so. And the family dynamics in here are just way beyond being screwed.

Mark (while not a MC, still an integral part of the story) seemed a bit unbelievable. For someone who had always been the "perfect" son (and man by the sounds of it) to respond the way he did... that doesn't gel very well with me.
blub
Someone I know has had a run in with siblings who are gay (batted for opposite teams though) so this story seems like something that could really happen and does probably happen among the gay and straight community.

I really liked Colin and Peter. They were adorable and Peter was just so fun and easy going. They balanced each other perfectly. Mark was a bit annoying to me. He came off as a pushy jerk, almost childlike in the belief that he was irresistible and that he could have anyone he wanted
Beacullen
This books starts with Mark coming out to his family around Christmas at the advice of his boyfriend Collin. Things don't go well at all. They end up breaking up because Mark cant deal with it and wants to blame Collin. But Collin stays in touch with Peter, Marks brother. A few years later Peter asks to stay with him while he finishs school. I loved how you see both sides of their story. Collin is very much in love with Peter, but hes so afraid of being hurt again. Peter is so outspoken and hone ...more
Amber
I'll admit, a big part of the reason I liked this book is that Colin reminded me greatly of a loved one who I absolutely adore. Just read it. It's sweet and wonderful. Not a big melodrama of a story (though it has its moments), it's more of a slice of life romance. I love that Peter isn't conflicted by the realization of his sexuality. Reading the character, I could totally see being friends with him. I kept wanting to kick Mark in the balls AND HE WOULD HAVE DESERVED IT TOO.
Good book, not for s
Michaela
In the begginning it had so much potential!
Tracy
Oct 07, 2014 Tracy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, m-m
I walked into this with an idea of what I wanted to read. This book did not live up to the idea. I think the premise was good but the author missed the mark somewhere. Peter and Colin's relationship seemed rushed and Mark just couldn't let go. It frustrated me to read about Mark trying to Colin back when he knew that Peter and Colin were together. There is a time where you have to move on and in this book I think it was at the gas station when they stopped for gas on the way home to see their si ...more
clear skies
The plot was ridiculous but I do think with better story development this could have been good. I think the brothers characterisation could have been developed more, and I just don't think the author did them any justice. I felt for them because they both came across childish and they didn't deserve to be seen in that way.
  • Black Hurricane (Boston Boys, #3)
  • From the Ashes (Fire and Rain, #1)
  • Fall Hard
  • Weight of Silence (Cost of Repairs, #3)
  • Love Lessons (Love Lessons, #1)
  • The Choosing
  • Never a Hero (Tucker Springs, #5)
  • Junk  (The Bristol Collection #1)
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • Paid Leave (ABQ Heat #1)
  • No Distance Left to Run (Distance Between Us, #4)
  • My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)
  • Love the Sinner (Brooklyn Sinners, #1)
  • Spirit Sanguine (Sanguine, #1)
  • Intercession
  • Frozen Hearts
  • A Rookie Move
  • Moment of Impact (Moments In Time, #1)
Summer Devon is the pen name writer Kate Rothwell often uses. Whether the characters are male or female, human or dragon, her books are always romance.

You can visit her facebook page, where there's a sign up form for a newsletter (she'll only send out newsletters when there's a new Summer Devon or Kate Rothwell release and she will never ever sell your name to anyone).

Her blog is available her
More about Summer Devon...
Goodbye Phillip (Love is Always Write) The Tail of a Dog The Gentleman and the Lamplighter The Psychic and the Sleuth Taming the Bander (Solitary Shifters #1)