Start by marking “Love & Misadventure” as Want to Read:
Love & Misadventure

Love & Misadventure

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  24,320 Ratings  ·  2,051 Reviews
Lang Leav is a poet and internationally exhibiting artist. Awarded a coveted Churchill Fellowship, her work expresses the intricacies of love and loss.

Beautifully illustrated and thoughtfully conceived, Love and Misadventure will take you on a rollercoaster ride through an ill-fated love affair- from the initial butterflies to the soaring heights- through to the devastati
Paperback, First Edition, 176 pages
Published April 26th 2013 by Lang Leav

To ask other readers questions about Love & Misadventure, please sign up.

Laura absolutely not. easily some of the worst poetry i've ever read.

karen
Sep 16, 2014 karen rated it did not like it
Shelves: pomes, welcome-author
this book has an average rating of 4.34 with 2,119 ratings. that's really high.

and it's terrible.

and i'm not one of these assholes that likes to trash something that other people like. usually i try to figure out who would like it, even if i didn't myself, because i'm just one reader yadda yadda ranganathan, but in this case, the only people i can see actually enjoying it are 13-year-old girls who are all starry-eyed over some boy. and that's fine - nothing wrong with little girls reading and w
Gemma Allen
Jun 19, 2013 Gemma Allen rated it it was amazing
Poetry isn't for everyone. And not all poetry is for anyone. I love lang leav. You can read some of her short stories and poems here http://langleav.com/tagged/Popular . I personally love her poetry. She has such a wonderful and fluid way with words. And she makes it so easy to read, not because it is simple language but because it is often like she stole your own words and coloured them in, and I think that reading poetry should feel that way.
Greg
Jan 27, 2014 Greg rated it it was ok

Hear the song

Love & Misadventure is a book of poetry that made the leap from self-published works available on the internet to being available in your local bookstores in a physical copy you can own, keep, love, cherish, put on a shelf, carry in your bag, forget about, read again, give away to a thrift store or whatever else it is one does with things made from dead trees.

I'm not a poet, but this book did inspire me to write this little couplet:

I cry for all the dead trees,
for these poems y
Khanh (the Grinch)
Jan 26, 2014 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it did not like it
Back when I was with my gamer ex-boyfriend, we would give each other cards containing stupid geeky poetry for Valentine's Day:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
All my base
Are belong to you.
As painfully silly as it is, that little snippet is still significantly better than the poetry in this book. At least it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Unless I've missed something and this book is meant to be some grand satire of the artistic sort. In which case, carry on!

If you think this is good poetry:
T
Jane Kim
Jan 19, 2014 Jane Kim rated it really liked it
To the reviews that basically take a giant shit on Leav's ability as a poet,

You're missing the point.

I can only speak for myself completely, but I know many people would agree with me when I say that love does not need advanced prose. If what you're looking for is sheer structural and linguistic genius, then this is not the book for you; however, often, true feelings are raw. Prose that comes from these feelings shouldn't need any gimmicks to impact the human heart. In fact, even words at a ba
Athena Khalil
Jul 07, 2013 Athena Khalil rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Athena by: the stars
i enjoyed every poem from this book. actually, this is a great example and a reminder for me of what my life is composed of, of random miracles in a form of sentences or people that i have encountered on my way quite accidentally. without a thought or a bigger plan. in this way i am lucky, i need to admit. lucky to hit against things and images, people and twin souls that change and mark my life, make it somehow better, richer.
this book was and still is my friend.a collection of emotions in a fo
Florencia
Sep 19, 2015 Florencia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, I dislike it a lot,
and I don't give a damn if it rhymes or not.

Dear Byron, Plath and Baudelaire,
Oh, Pizarnik, Rimbaud and Verlaine,
What the heck is this? I'm cursing like hell.
It was a painful experience; I need some air.

** The end **

Oh, yes. I dared.
Well. I am so mad because I had high hopes for this book. Sure, I was more intrigued by the misadventure part, but still I thought I would like it.
However, I found this:

(view spoiler)
Carla
Oct 16, 2015 Carla rated it did not like it
I took some time to peruse this at the library because everyone's been getting excited about it on Tumblr.

I don't really know what I expected.. Love & Misadventure just wasn't for me. Given the hype, I guess I expected to read some really insightful and profound stuff, but instead what I got was this:

"I deplore,

Aj the Ravenous Reader
Apr 14, 2016 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Alexandra
Shelves: poetry

I’m not a good poet, I don’t even want to call myself a poet but I’ve written a few ones (or at least ones I think are poems) and some of them (my friends and family say because they love me unconditionally) are quite decent and absolutely for free (lol.) You can check them out here..

But this collection of poems has torn me in two or three. Some are simple and heartfelt and in my vocabulary, that’s what beauty is.

A Stranger

There is a love I remember
Like a seed
I’ve never sown.

Of lips that I a
Jason
Nov 10, 2013 Jason rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
I wanted to like this poetry collection because a dear former student let me borrow it. I am dreading the talk we will have when I hand it back to her. Maybe I'll just say, "Thank you for sharing this book with me. That was very thoughtful of you." If the student asks me what I thought of the poems, I will shoot straight with her. I will tell her that I was mainly reminded of greeting cards when I read this collection. For example, take this poem "Always":

You were you, and I was I; we were two
Theresa Flores
Nov 11, 2013 Theresa Flores rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-review
I'm actually not a big fan of poetry but daaaaaaaamn...what a great read. Seriously, seriously worth your time.

I enjoyed the short essays most, especially Rogue Plants & Lost Things . But of course, the poems were also all must-reads. I thought every single poem in the book was beautiful and melodic. I especially loved those that were just beautifully tragic and heartbreaking--e.g Just Friends , Afraid to Love , A Question and much more.

Other favorites: A Dangerous Recipe, Art &
Kimberly Lloyd
Nov 26, 2013 Kimberly Lloyd rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL READ but equally sad

one of my favorite parts:(

“It happens like this.

Louisa
What strikes me about Lang Leav's poetry is that I could have written a fair amount of it when I was in primary/high school.

He makes me turn,
he makes me toss;
his words mean mine
are at a loss.

He makes me blush!

He makes me want
to brush and floss.

*stares at floss in my bathroom* *thinks romantic thoughts* *NOT*

I like poetry. I like reading it; I like writing it; it's something I wish more people were into, though I can certainly understand why they aren't. Maybe Love & Misadventure is a ton m
Miriam
Jan 12, 2015 Miriam rated it did not like it
This poetry is so terrible that at first I thought it was a joke, but apparently that is not the case.
Jason
Mar 26, 2014 Jason rated it did not like it
I don’t normally review books of poetry because, if I’m going to be honest, poetry has never been something I’ve traditionally gotten very excited about. However, that doesn’t mean that I haven’t bumped into poems here or there that have affected me somehow, and it is usually (which is the thing about poetry, I think) not what the poem is about per se so much as it is about how it makes you feel. Which then circles back to my point about not being overwhelmed by it in general because that part o ...more
Pinky
Jan 23, 2014 Pinky rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: karen
The bee, buzzing buzzing buzzing like a chansaw,
stings me in the eye--
OW!

I've created a tumblr page for my poems about my owwies. Please follow!

Poetry should make us feel. This poetry made me feel tired and kind of itchy and pretty fucking grumpy. SUCCESS.

That's a five-star book, right? Minus four for the goddamn ampersand. Plus four for feeling so feely about your feelings, and getting so many others to feel. Minus four for being so cranky about what feelings people have, and pissing on other
Rose
Jan 26, 2014 Rose marked it as not-my-cup-of-tea
Poetry is one of my first loves in writing, but I looked at some of the samples of the narratives from this and concluded it wasn't my thing. Too expensive of price for the quality of the poetry that's offered here.

Edit: Okay, I think I have something.

This Empty Rhyme
by Rose Summers

Interesting the weight of this book
Outweighs the words hidden inside.
For all the emotion carried within a look
You'd think it'd have nothing to hide.

If we're speaking the experience of love
What it means to be cloaked i
Nandakishore Varma
Review before reading

This book I've not read, but the poetic samples provided
In various reviews, have convinced me that it's best avoided.

Poetry is such a sublime art
That the words should come right from the heart;
If forced, it would only distress impart -
And sometimes what comes out is worse than a fart.

---------------------------------------------
Review after reading

Finally read this! Got a free copy
(Wouldn't spend money on something so sloppy!)
After reading this tome, I am filled with wonder
A
Joshua Boiser
I am a massive fan of poetry. I am a big believer in words and the power they possess. So that's why when I heard that this is a book being comprised of poems, I was really beyond excited to get my hands on this paperback. But I was disappointed.

I KNOW I HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY THIS BUT SINCE IT IS MY PERSONAL OPINION, I WILL VOICE IT OUT. Some of the poems were.... Well, some were bad. God, I feel awful for saying that but that's what I honestly think. Some metaphors were too loose, out of the blu
Bonnie
Nov 14, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This poetry collection was brought to my attention when it popped up as a Nominee for the Goodreads Choice Awards for Best Poetry. I was intrigued. Then it placed 2nd, getting beat out by J.R.R. Tolkien, and I was eager to get this. Thankfully my library had a copy because $9.99 for the kindle version and it’s only 78 pages? No thanks. But I wanted this very much after seeing it beat out Mary Oliver, which means Love & Misadventure HAS to be impressive, right? Except this was like sappy teen ...more
Bennard
Feb 11, 2014 Bennard rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody not even my worst enemy
from The Book Hooligan

I’m not really an avid reader of poetry and my expertise in the genre is minimal at best. However, I do appreciate well-written poems that I read every now and then. I remember that the first poem that I really liked, that had a profound effect on me, was Allen Ginsberg’s Howl which I read during an American Contemporary Literature class. Since then, for brief spurts of time, I read poetry whenever the inspiration to do so strikes. In this regard, I think I now have a handl
Summer ✿
Nov 26, 2015 Summer ✿ marked it as to-read
Shelves: fail
It looks like someone threw up adjectives, metaphors, and cliched phrases and smashed them all into one book.

I think this is Tahereh Mafi's long-lost twin. Just a theory.
Manny
Jan 06, 2016 Manny marked it as not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parody-homage
Lang Leav
Makes many of my friends heav
Influences "include Robert Frost"
I'm officially lost
Becki
Fuck no!!!

Time

Time we have too much of
Time we didn't dare to care of
Time we were spilling
Time we were killing
Time we started losing
Time we started choosing
Time we began chasing
Time we dare to care of
Time we have to little of

By Miss Leavs skill level I should have been an accomplished poet when I was 15. Curse you maturity and intellectual reasoning.

You all should be honored. No one has ever clapped their eyes on this masterpiece before.
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
I haven't read this, but I was looking at some of the quotes and this caught my attention.
“We may be just two different clocks, that do not tock in unison.”

This has to be like the worst break-up line ever.
Christina Wilder
Dec 16, 2015 Christina Wilder rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, women-authors
First comes love, then comes distaste...I might have had a visit from the Suck Fairy.

What's a visit from the Suck Fairy? It's when you watch/read something, love it, and then later watch it again/reread it, and it's not nearly as good.

Now, I'm sure I'm feeling biased by the recent events with Lang Leav's attempts to goad people into liking a positive review on GoodReads, but after looking over her poems, I'm confused as to why I adored them in the first place. They're childish, silly, and navel-
Jareed
Jul 06, 2014 Jareed rated it did not like it
Lang Leav should have stuck with being an exhibiting artist and left poetry to the poets, and maybe, just maybe, I might just have appreciated her bobble-head inspired works, like this:

description
That stung! Just like reading her poems.

Or then again, maybe not. Sorry, not so sorry.
Cara Durnin
Dec 31, 2013 Cara Durnin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, poetry
Some of these verses were cute, but completely shallow. I finished this book feeling exactly the same as when I started, which is not how I wish poetry to affect me. Good poetry leaves a mark
Isa Lavinia
Dec 31, 2014 Isa Lavinia rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those under 12

Is this parody?!

Heart on the Line
Love is good,
it is never bad—
but it will drive you mad!
When it is given to you,
in dribs and drabs.

to untie,
a complicated
knot.

*HACKS UP BLOOD*

This is that poetry you wrote at twelve, and you find while cleaning up your bedroom at seve
Abeer
Jan 03, 2015 Abeer rated it did not like it
I had seen this in bookstores about almost a year ago and thought it looked interesting, I read a few pages and changed my mind and forgot about it entirely. Until the end of this year where i saw that either this or Lullaby (the author's second book) won the Goodreads award for best poetry collection. I opened it's page and saw my friends reviews, mostly 1 stars and 'oh my god how is this popular' sort of responses. As a poet (I keep deleting and rewriting that sentence, goddamn I bet a doctor ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Love & Misadventure by Lang Leav 1 10 Mar 31, 2015 10:37AM
  • Habang Wala Pa Sila: Mga Tula ng Pag-ibig
  • Si
  • The World Rose
  • No Matter the Wreckage
  • Langit Vanilla
  • Para Kay B (o kung paano dinevastate ng pag-ibig ang 4 out of 5 sa atin)
  • Fairy Tale Fail
  • What We Buried
  • Words from a Wanderer
  • The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 2
  • Home
  • In Case You Come Back: Poems, Confessions, Apologies, and Promises
The enchanting work of contemporary author and artist Lang Leav swings between the whimsical and woeful, expressing a complexity beneath its child-like facade.

Her imagination stretches across a variety of disciplines encompassing art, poetry and books. She is currently represented by New York literary agent Al Zuckerman from Writers House.

Frequently invited to exhibit at high profile exhibitions l
More about Lang Leav...

“It happens like this.

"One day you meet someone and for some inexplicable reason, you feel more connected to this stranger than anyone else--closer to them than your closest family. Perhaps this person carries within them an angel--one sent to you for some higher purpose; to teach you an important lesson or to keep you safe during a perilous time. What you must do is trust in them--even if they come hand in hand with pain or suffering--the reason for their presence will become clear in due time."

Though here is a word of warning--you may grow to love this person but remember they are not yours to keep. Their purpose isn't to save you but to show you how to save yourself. And once this is fulfilled; the halo lifts and the angel leaves their body as the person exits your life. They will be a stranger to you once more.

-------------------------------------------------

It's so dark right now, I can't see any light around me.
That's because the light is coming from you. You can't see it but everyone else can.”
1334 likes
“It was a question I had worn on my lips for days - like a loose thread on my favourite sweater I couldn't resist pulling - despite knowing it could all unravel around me.

"Do you love me?" I ask.

In your hesitation I found my answer.”
913 likes