Start by marking “The Light of Kerrindryr” as Want to Read:
The Light of Kerrindryr

The Light of Kerrindryr (The War of Memory Cycle #1)

Redemption through Service.

Purification through Sacrifice.

These are the tenets of the Imperial Light, and Cob follows them devoutly despite being enslaved for his father's treason. Now, raised as a soldier and betrayed by a friend, he has been driven from the Imperial Army into the heretic-riddled lands he helped to conquer. In this strange realm, he finds that Light and D
Published June 1st 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Light of Kerrindryr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light of Kerrindryr

Pauline Ross
This could be the world's shortest review. I could just say: this book is piking awesome. Read it. The end.

Or I could tell you exactly why it’s so awesome (a much, much longer review). So let’s do that. Settle down, I’m going to ramble a bit so this may take some time.

I read a lot of debut fantasy, and there's no way to predict exactly what you might get. Even the sample isn't a good guide, because a promising opening can sometimes tail off disappointingly. Mostly, I find them to be varying shad
Thomas Cardin
All right. I have a lot of progress reports on this one--good and bad. When The Light of Kerrindryr was good, it was very good. The descriptions and the action were well thought out and vivid. Many of the places came alive in my head.

To talk of my favorite bits in detail would be spoiler to the story. There is depth and action here that rocked my socks, but detractors as well. Not an easy book to review, but the complexities are a good thing as much as bad.

I cheated at one point and went to the
Lindsey
Readers beware: If you enjoy the predictable, then this is not the book for you!

Fantasy usually isn't my thing (I'm addicted to kinky, HEA romances), but I like to break out of the box every once in a while and try something different and this book really hit the spot! Adventure, magic, humor, mythology, dashes of horror (don't read while eating!), astonishing creatures, and characters that take the reader's emotions on a 360 degree roller coaster ride... Seriously? What's not to love? It's pik
Tiffany Mathews
This book was hard to rate but I did it on a personal level of what is important to me as a reader.

In terms of description and action, I would have given this book a five. The pictures the author paints are incredible.

She uses her voice to create something truly unique and wonderful. As a piece of writing, again I would give it a five.

And the last way it scores a five is for creativity of idea. I have never read anything else remotely similar. When people tried to ask me what I was reading, I ha
Steve Thomas
The Light of Kerrindryr largely tells the story of Cob, an escaped slave on a quest to redeem himself by facing judgement in a religious ritual on the other side of the (highly oppressive and theocratic) Empire. But the Empire isn't having any of that and deploys a super-powered assassin to track and capture him. Most of the story is a chase.

Cob himself is an unlikely protagonist. He's a short-sighted, bigoted zealot who shuts down any scenes of exposition by sounding off about lies and blasphem
Debra
May 12, 2013 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy
Before I get on with the review:

An urge to smack some sense into the main character is natural. He's a very stubborn teenage boy.

Fantasy series, adventure, monsters, evil and good dukeing it out - except, wait, which one is evil again? Sometimes the guys you took for granted as the good guys turn out not to be what you thought they were. Sometimes a character you were sure was the villain does something that shocks you with how wrong you were about them. Then they go back to being villains again
Masquerade Crew
Apr 15, 2015 Masquerade Crew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEWER: JANN

4.0 ON THE MASQ SCALE

Have you ever felt really strongly about something only to find out it was not that way at all? This was an interesting book - somewhat unique in it's plot lines leading you first one way and then another. The story moves from one person's perspective to another's and then another's and, while you must pay attention, it's not that difficult to follow. The characters are well written and go though thought processes to lead them to re-evaluate what they blindly b
Nancy
Jun 04, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is only the beginning, folks! Hillary is a new and aspiring author; and I love her work. She has introduced me to the SciFi genre and I am hooked on her book(s)! Her choice for words and her expression of detail to her unique characters are outstanding. Give it a try and see if you get hooked like I did! Yes, it is about good vs evil; but it will also take you to another galaxy/world and back in a blink of an eye! You truly want to read more!!
Kelly
Jan 24, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like high fantasy and awesome villains, this is the book for you. The author creates a world that is both interesting and unusual, with shocking events and revelations about the characters' identities and motives. Things are rarely what they seem. One of my favorite things was the complex mythology - not the usual copy/paste of European mythology that many fantasy writers use, which was very refreshing.
Stuart Macmartin
Jun 12, 2014 Stuart Macmartin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2014
Not as enthused about this book as Pauline; I could easily put it down and there were some bizarre scenes and sometimes the language seemed to be trying too hard. But it is richly imagined. Easily 4 stars for all the reasons Pauline writes. Probably will read the next, if I can remember what went on.
Taylor Davis
Unfortunately, I give up. I completely agree with Steve's review. At 40%, the book just felt too meandering. I couldn't connect with the plot or the characters at all.
Bill Tillman
It is very sad that this was such a great tale, only to be followed by another with adult content. Great mixture of high celt mythalong with the author's own twist.
CatSidhe
CatSidhe rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
dalia ioana
dalia ioana rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
nichole
nichole rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Buffy
Buffy rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Yingchen Luo
Yingchen Luo rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Ralf Demuth
Ralf Demuth rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Lesley Fowler
Lesley Fowler rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2016
Ac
Ac rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2015
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
gary summers
gary summers rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Lu Balu
Lu Balu rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2014
Pert
Pert rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Vito Digiondomenico
Vito Digiondomenico rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Randy Brown
Randy Brown rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Charlie Bradley
Charlie Bradley rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Rose
Rose rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Fallen Angle (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #2)
  • The Sorcerer’s Quest (The Sorcerer’s Saga, #1)
  • The Legend of the Flaming Dragon
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon Fire
  • The Protectors (Royal Institute of Magic, Book 3)
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • Dragon's Debt (The Dragon and the Scholar #2)
  • The Black Dragon (Claire-Agon Dragon, #1)
  • Champion of the Rose (Darest, #1)
  • Mindbender (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #3)
  • The Curse of the Thrax (Bloodsword Trilogy, Book 1)
  • The Last Enchanter
  • Black Mercury (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #2)
  • The Ritual (Theft and Sorcery, #1)
  • Haunted Tree (The Magus Family Chronicles, #1)
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
H. Anthe Davis has been working on the War of Memory Project on and off since her teenage years, and plans to eventually release an illustrated encyclopedia of her fantasy world with the assistance of her artist D. D. Phillips. She is currently located in the Valley of the Sun, and -- as if that wasn't hot enough -- has plans for a properly villainous volcano lair.
More about H. Anthe Davis...

The War of Memory Cycle (3 books)
  • The Splintered Eye (The War of Memory Cycle, #2)
  • The Living Throne (The War of Memory Cycle #3)

“I see you rolled around in the treasury first," said Darilan.” 2 likes
“Its back was to him, showing broad shoulders armored in bark and stone, black as night, and a thick mane cascading down its spine to a short deer-tail.
For a moment all he could do was stare at the tail and think, Nothing on a Great Spirit should be that cute.”
2 likes