Start by marking “Battle for New York” as Want to Read:
Battle for New York

Battle for New York

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
On September 15, 1776, the British army under General William Howe invaded Manhattan Island, landing at an open field on the banks of the East River, roughly where the United Nations sits today. George Washington’s Continental Army, still in disarray after its miraculous escape following the disastrous Battle of Brooklyn some two weeks earlier, retreated north to Harlem He ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1st 2002 by Walker & Company (first published 1000)

To ask other readers questions about Battle for New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle for New York

Colby
Dec 13, 2012 Colby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history

The best book on the Battles for New York during the American Revolution, the only pitched battle in the war. Washington survived potential disaster and learned valuable lessons on how to fight the British. Most New Yorkers are unaware of the invisible history spread around the City. The author has a walking/transit guide to the many present day markers and sights.
Seamus
Nov 21, 2013 Seamus rated it it was amazing
A well written, detailed account of NY,NY. Albeit in the 1770s-1780. Finally the main linch pin in this war gets it moment in the lime-light.
I must admit to being slightly irritated by the discussion of other aspects of the war. While I understood the scope of the author's intent, I still feel there would have been enough to break down more of the events in detail. It is not so much that the author did a dis-service, but that I personally have wanted a book such as this to read go so long.
Sche
Joe
Oct 23, 2015 Joe rated it it was amazing
Excellent detailed account of the chronology of the Battle for NY.
George de Armas
Feb 11, 2013 George de Armas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book detailed and authoritative in it's narrative. The author delved into the complex relationships between the "rebels" and their English cousins. Particularly meaningful if you live, have lived or just plain love NYC. The author overlaid current NYC maps with those of the period. Fascinating!
Lisa
I really enjoyed this book even though most of my history class would disagree. Its very informative about the american revolution. It was used for research for my paper at first but it got interesting so I finished it. I would reccomend it to anybody who is interested in us history.
David Freeland
Oct 27, 2010 David Freeland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am almost finished with this book and have found it completely gripping. Schecter writes so skillfully, and with such attention to detail and plotting, that the book almost reads like a novel. Throughout, he combines a deft reporting of events with intelligent analysis.
Jason Evans
Nov 12, 2007 Jason Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of history and/or NYC
Shelves: history
Think you know the revolution! Not so fast, my friend! This book brings the reader to New York City during the soon-to-be country's finest moment and you'll be surprised and entertained at the Big Apple's Goings On About Town!
Elliott
Jan 22, 2013 Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Present from my dad. Great--if very detailed--read. Some startling parallels between difficulties faced by British occupying NYC and US occupying cities in Iraq.
Rick Hautala
Nov 03, 2012 Rick Hautala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating and readable history of some little known--and very important--battles during the American Revolution ... Fascinating.
Jessica
Apr 23, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good
as far as a textbook goes, this was a good read.
Heather De armas
The best history read of New York!
John
Jan 09, 2009 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting for me personally because this battle of the Revolution is usually glossed over and only mentioned as an embarressing loss for the Americans. The book does get hard to follow sometimes because you find yourself referencing the map in the front of the book constantly. Schecter often puts in his footnotes what is currently at some of the locations in the battle so having google maps handy would be helpful.
Bob Croft
Bob Croft rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
bookreader
bookreader marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Jan 30, 2016
Charles Gibson
Charles Gibson is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Isaiah
Isaiah marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Douglas Conly
Douglas Conly marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Aaron M
Aaron M marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Tom Batalias
Tom Batalias marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
BillLan
BillLan rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
L Walden
L Walden marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015