Start by marking “Dodger's Guide to London” as Want to Read:
Dodger's Guide to London

Dodger's Guide to London (Dodger #1.5)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  210 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
ROLL UP! ROLL UP! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Ladies and Gents, Sir Jack Dodger brings you a most excellent Guide to London!

Did you know . . . ?
If a Victorian couldn’t afford a sweep, they might drop a goose down their chimney to clean it!
A posh lady’s unmentionables could weigh up to 40lbs!
Parliament had to be suspended during the Great Stink of 1858!

From the wretches of the rooker
Published November 21st 2013 by Doubleday Childrens (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dodger's Guide to London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dodger's Guide to London

Molokov
Mar 08, 2014 Molokov rated it it was ok
Although this is a nice little book with some interesting factoids about Victorian London, presented in a way that a Pratchett/"Dodger" fan will find them accessible, there was one big thing missing from something you'd expect associated with Terry Pratchett - humour. There was maybe 2 or 3 giggle-worthy moments in the entire book, which is not enough. Also a point to note is that despite his name being in big letters on the cover, it's plainly obvious that this is /not/ written by Terry Pratche ...more
Saoirse Sterling
You can read my full review of Dodger's Guide to London on my site XLeptodactylous.

Dodger's Guide to London comes as a companion to the novel Dodger and provides us with a casual look at what life was like for the lower classes of Victorian London.

It's a good place to start if you're looking to start researching Victorian London, as it has some very good references and recommendations for further reading. Paul Kidby provides the wonderful illustrations that always accompanies Terry Pratchett's
Michael
Jan 26, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Although this book is aimed at younger readers (I am 25 years old) I found the book extremely enjoyable and picked up a lot of facts that I previously never knew about Victorian London. It is recommended that you read Dodger first before reading this book but for the casual reader it is a great read especially for all Terry Pratchett fans.
Mark
Jan 05, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
This slim little volume is a companion book to Sir Terry’s non-Discworld novel published last year, Dodger.

The original story is a Dickensian style tale of one Jack Dodger, who in the novel is an ‘Artful Dodger’ type character running around the rather mucky streets of Victorian London.

It’s a fine old tale, involving characters based on people such as England’s Prime Minister at the time, Benjamin Disraeli, originator of the English police force Sir Robert Peel, a journalst named Charlie Dickens
izzAYY
Nov 19, 2014 izzAYY rated it really liked it
For what this is, I found it very good and interesting! I don't have a 'passion' for History but recently I have found it more exciting (history used to bore me) and this book had a good amount of fact with a bit of made up characters but I have learnt a lot about Victorian London! It has been a great help for my dram project, where we are prodding a play based in Victorian London and has given us: fact to base lines and plot off, a feel for the scene setting, lines and a bit of dialogue to prac ...more
Yuki
May 31, 2015 Yuki rated it liked it
Although I love Victorian London, I know nothing about it. I am familiar with historical fiction...but I'm no historian.
I am not familiar with Terry Pratchett nor Jack Dodger so I judged it by its cover....and was satisfied with it! I don't know if this book is supposed to be somewhat educational or based on other fiction novels, but it was in the Sci-Fi section so I'm guessing it is supposed to be fiction...and what I absolutely loved about it is the art. It contains retro visuals, which is a
meeners
May 05, 2015 meeners rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, illustrated
i loved "Did you know...?" books as a kid, and reading this i discovered i still love them now. super fun stuff. not sure how much of it pratchett actually wrote, but the warm spirit and the enthusiasm are surely all his. sir terry, you are dearly missed.
Solara300
Jan 01, 2015 Solara300 rated it it was amazing
Kurzmeinung
In diesem London Guide entführt uns Terry Pratchett mit seinem Protagonist Jack Dodger in ein London der Viktorianischen Zeit mit seinen Abenteuern, sagen Wundern und Zufällen.

Denn Leser erwartet eine sehr bildhafte Erzählung des Straßenjungen und eine bis ins Detail liebevoll ausgeschmückte Ausgabe die einen Ehrenlatz bei mir im Regal verdient!!! :D

Cover
Sehr schön gestaltet mit Jack Dodger der in einer Geste sagen will oder in dem Fall zeigen. Folgen sie mir und treten sie ein in ei
Nonethousand Oberrhein
Feb 04, 2016 Nonethousand Oberrhein rated it liked it
Shelves: pterry, british
The reality behind the fiction
The reader is guided through early-victorian London by the witty character Dodger. More than a merry historical romp, this book principal goal is to transmit in a fun way part of the huge research work that Pratchett did to plunge the fictional novel Dodger in a very realistic setting. Didactic at the very least.
Tria
Fascinating stuff - lots of historical facts about Victorian London with a very well-dressed-up layer of fiction, both quite clearly defined (the factual bits are fully cited) that makes it much more than a list of facts and figures, and provides further reading among its quotations and bibliography to occupy one for months, especially those involving the characters featured in "Dodger" who really existed.
Grond
Jan 31, 2015 Grond rated it liked it
This companion book to Terry Pratchett's 'Dodger' is the kind of bathroom trivia book persons interested in Victorian London would emjoy leafing through to while away a few minutes here and there. Filled with facts about the Victorian age and asides from 'Dodger' himself it is an easygoing way to learn about minutae of the period without slogging through heavier reference material.
Shaun Hately
May 11, 2014 Shaun Hately rated it liked it
Love London. Love Terry Pratchett... and I liked Dodger, the novel. But this book really contained nothing I hadn't already read in other books, and it lacked the depth. Might be really good for somebody who hasn't already explored the history and culture of London, extensively, but left me a bit disappointed.

Not bad by any means. It was a good quick read. But my hopes were higher.
Retrovold
Oct 28, 2014 Retrovold rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Dodger was not my favorite book but it was enjoyable nonetheless, his guiding through London's dirty secrets was real joy and I have learned many interesting things :-) Lovely put and what a beautiful illustration, they don't make books like this anymore. Took me back :)
Neil
Oct 16, 2014 Neil rated it it was ok
An unremarkable collection of factoids about Victorian London, purporting to be an original period piece by the title character in Terry Pratchett's novel Dodger, but never convincingly so. Although there are some interesting facts here and there and some fiction.
Meg
Dec 09, 2014 Meg rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun...based on real studies of nineteenth century London. Did you know that the song Pop Goes The Weasel refers to pawning ones tools to buy food! A fun follow up to Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Tom Sims
Mar 09, 2015 Tom Sims rated it it was ok
Shelves: pratchett
Mildly amusing at times with short interesting facts on London. may be worth getting one of referenced books for a detailed history of Victorian London
Terri
Feb 17, 2014 Terri rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I asked for this as I needed it for my collection but it was an interesting read and tempted to take it to London as an alternative guide!
David
May 17, 2014 David rated it liked it
Guess where I just moved to!

... Thankfully, things aren't quite as rough as they were back in Victorian times anymore!
Mid
Feb 02, 2016 Mid rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, humour
This book is a light hearted look at Victorian London. It has a lot of small details which I enjoyed (mudlarks picking through the tidal banks of the Thames for things to sell, what a Rat King is). However the attempt to provide 'authetic' typography results in passages that are hard to read. It also lacks coherence as a narrative or an index as a mock reference.
Helle
Jan 06, 2016 Helle rated it liked it
Dodger’s Guide to London provides an interesting and sometimes surprising inside in Victorian London, but lacks humor (anything from subtle giggles to laughing-out-loud-in-a-public-place), which I expect from anything related to Terry Pratchett. Still very amusing, with some strange trivia and fun facts, but not nearly as good as I had hoped for.
Svetlana
Aug 20, 2014 Svetlana rated it it was ok
Well... it was okay, but nothing more. There were some interesting facts that I didn't know. And the illustrations are really great.
Anna
Apr 14, 2016 Anna rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
A bit slight. Some interesting facts but it didn't really feel like it was a Pratchett book.
Jackie O'sullivan
Jan 05, 2016 Jackie O'sullivan rated it really liked it
some nice historical factoids presented in an interesting way
Daniel Gritz
Dec 23, 2015 Daniel Gritz rated it liked it
Some interesting snippets about London life but feels like a book of author's research notes.
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Bror Hellman
Bror Hellman rated it really liked it
Lindsay Campbell
Lindsay Campbell is currently reading it
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Yolanda Fraser
Yolanda Fraser marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
  • The Colour of Magic: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Walk the Lines: The London Underground, Overground
  • England
  • Captain Flandry: Defender Of The Terran Empire
  • Ghost Milk: Calling Time on the Grand Project
  • The Highland Twins at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #18)
  • I Believe in Yesterday: My Adventures in Living History
  • Feudal Society
  • Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments: All Lab, No Lecture
  • Adventures with the Wife in Space: Living With Doctor Who
  • Family Britain, 1951-1957
  • The Anchor Atlas of World History, Vol 2: From the French Revolution to the American Bicentennial
  • Autobiographies (The Collected Works of W.B. Yeats, Volume 3)
  • Sci-Fi Chronicles: A Visual History of the Galaxy's Greatest Science Fiction
  • Emma in Winter
  • Rivers of London: Body Work, #4
  • The Search for King Arthur
  • Ein Mann   Ein Buch

More about Terry Pratchett...

Dodger (1 books)