Start by marking “The First Fight (School for Adventurers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The First Fight (School for Adventurers, #1)

The First Fight (School for Adventurers, #1)

Published 2013 by Good From the First Byte Press

To ask other readers questions about The First Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Fight

Gayle Karen
May 30, 2013 Gayle Karen rated it it was amazing
The book contains all the elements that would engage people of all ages - an interesting world and an interesting context, witty jokes, great characters who develop over time, unexpected twists, and of course, magic, fighting, and thievery. It's great fun, and lays the foundation for more stories set in this world. I can see it having broad appeal to readers in grade school all the way to adulthood (which I am). As someone who loved Harry Potter, Chronicles of Prydain, Narnia, and all the ...more
Nojh
Jul 17, 2013 Nojh rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young adult readers, fans of D&D style fantasy
The First Fight is an amazingly compelling first novel in a series that takes the urban fantasy trope and inverts it to amusing and fun results. I devoured it quickly, being rushed along by interesting characters and a very quick and engaging plot. That being said it is not without its faults and annoyances.

The First Fight is a story about an academy for adventurers. Set in a fantasy land of swords and sorcery, four teenagers attend Eastridge Academy to get training in one of the four major adve
Dixie A.
Oct 20, 2014 Dixie A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
There's a school that trains warriors, thieves, clerics and mages. We don't see much of the cleric training, but the training for warriors and thieves is certainly innovative. We follow a bunch of first years who are learning to fit in with this most unusual educational experience.

There's also a subplot with foreign intrigue, danger and deception, but it is overshadowed by the school experience.

I love the way the thieves train. Stealing from other students, trying to symbolically kill each other
Spotacus
Jun 02, 2013 Spotacus rated it it was amazing
This is a strong first book in what looks to be a phenomenal series. It's clear from the details of the world created by Jennifer and Kara that they know every inch of it, in much the same way that Tolkien knew the world of The Fellowship of the Ring. Whenever I have that sense, I also have trust in the authors...trust that wherever they're taking me is going to be a fun ride, and with this first book, they delivered! A great story enhanced by the world and by the 3D characters that inhabit it.

I
Adonya
Jun 18, 2013 Adonya rated it it was amazing
A School for Adventurers: The First Fight, is a lighthearted fantasy that doesn't take itself too seriously. Cleverly written dialogue, beautifully detailed characters and fast-paced action-packed adventure, make this story hard to put down.

Kara and Jennifer are delightful writers with a knack for capturing all the gritty little details that make a world believable. I expect great things from them and look forward to their third book!

Marie
May 31, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing
The storyline is filled with action, but still has a good blend of light hearted moments. I tend to read non-fiction books, so this was really a nice change of pace to enter into a fantasy world. The story has a good pace. Will there be a sequel? If so, I can't wait!
Kristin Eberhard
May 31, 2013 Kristin Eberhard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-love-love
Fantastic fantasy adventure. A unique world with compelling characters and a fast-moving plot. I could not stop reading, and am anxiously awaiting the next adventure!
Charlie
Jul 07, 2015 Charlie rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the School for Adventurers series. It contains all the elements that would engage a reader: an interesting world, witty humor, real characters, and unexpected twists.

This book has broad appeal for readers from the YA age to adulthood. The school is structured and run in much the same was as Hogwarts from Harry Potter, and some of the professors seem to share qualities with those from the wizarding school. The similarities in these aspects I appreciated, but the one comp
Bendik Stang
Jul 17, 2013 Bendik Stang rated it it was amazing
This is an exciting start on what I expect to be a great adventure. It has an interesting character gallery and lots of humor.

This book should be able to take a 10-16 year old kid away from the TV or Computer. It's easy to read, yet fun and captivating.

If you are an old time RPG gamer like me it is a great journey in a fantasy universe I too seldom visit these days.
Keke
Feb 03, 2016 Keke rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when they released it every week on the website and I love it now as I read it as a book. I am just so full of love for this book. So good.
Jess Edwards
Nov 26, 2015 Jess Edwards rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. Good writing, great characters, excellent plots. It reminds me of a cross between Harry potter and game of thrones.
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Grace
Grace rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2014
Eva
Eva rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Chris Bartlam
Chris Bartlam rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
Kristen Walker
Kristen Walker rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Zhugenaut
Zhugenaut rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2015
Marie Howe
Marie Howe rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Philip Grayson
Philip Grayson rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Jennifer Young
Jennifer Young rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2013
Sharol R
Feb 15, 2015 Sharol R rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't read this. Did not enjoy and didn't think it was worth my time.
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
richard brown
richard brown rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Sheena
Sheena rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
QuickSilver
Mar 22, 2016 QuickSilver rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot, but it got a little sappy between Rai and Averi at the end.
Renee