Start by marking “This Side of Forever” as Want to Read:
This Side of Forever

This Side of Forever

What more do you have to lose when you've lost everything? Ask sixteen-year-old Annie Bloom. Annie Bloom and Lexi Vanderkamp are out for a night of drinking beer and having fun in Annie's Camaro when Lexi, who is driving, makes a fatal mistake. Annie is left to deal with the consequences of her best friend's death. Problem is, Annie has a drinking problem, and the more she ...more
Published May 23rd 2013 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about This Side of Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Side of Forever

Carpe diem (♫ נєѕѕι¢α  ♪)
Love answers, "Now that you know the truth of who you are, go back and live your life fearlessly. You have much yet to do. You have much joy and compassion to share, and many people's lives to touch."

3.5 stars.

"This Side of Forever" is about Annie Bloom, a 16 year old alcoholic party girl. While with her best friend one night, Annie makes a mistake that will change her life forever. This book is about the decisions she makes, the people she chooses to surround herself with, and how she deals
Jackie G Mills
Feb 28, 2015 Jackie G Mills rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the Author in exchange for an honest Review.

This Side of Forever by Jo Chandler is a thought provoking tale about Annie Bloom, a young girl who follows in her alcoholic father’s footsteps, perpetuating the all too familiar cycle of addiction. The book is written entirely from Annie’s perspective and gives the reader a comprehensive view into her reasoning and subsequent decision making.

The story evokes a range of feelings, from sadness to anger to
Jeannie Holbrook
Sep 08, 2013 Jeannie Holbrook rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won This Side of Forever By Jo Chandler. I am glad that I did. I don't think I would have picked this book out for me. I tend to shy away from YA books. Especially one where the mail character has the issue that this one does. With that said I had to finish the book when I started it. I wanted to shake Annie and give her a hug all at the same time.
****SPOILER ALERT**** Stop reading here if you don't want some spoilers!!
Annie is a 16 year old alcoholic. Her best friend,Lexi,and Annie were goi
Kristi
Feb 15, 2014 Kristi rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The best thing about this book is the way Chandler portrays the ongoing struggles that the characters face throughout this story. We are able to understand Annie's longing for love and forgiveness while constantly pushing those around her away. Also, we feel the emotional termoil of those close to Annie that want to be there for her while dealing with their own hurts and disappointments.
Although I really liked the book, I was rather disappointed with the ending. The ending felt rushed; everythi
Gil Tisnado
Aug 21, 2013 Gil Tisnado rated it it was amazing
"This Side of Forever" by Jo Chandler is the story of a teenage girl spiraling out of control due to alcoholism. It is an absorbing cautionary tale without being preachy. The story will grab you immediately due to the excellent writing. You will find yourself easily relating and caring for the young characters as they struggle to find their way. Just like the book jacket art that contrasts dark elements with rays of light on the horizon, Ms. Chandler effectively combines the dark reality of teen ...more
Kathy
Sep 08, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
This is a strong, emotional story with an uplifting ending. I will donate it to my high school library in hopes that it will reach someone who needs help.

Annie ,an alcoholic teen is riddled with guilt over the death of her best friend Lexie in a drunk driving accident for which she blames herself. Annie's life spirals downward as she continues to drink to numb her pain until she is at the point of death herself from alcoholic poisoning. At that moment of her near-death, Annie experiences a visio
Ashley Irby
Sep 18, 2013 Ashley Irby rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won this book from First Reads & glad that I did! Don't think I ever would've picked it for myself - but it was a really good story - Kept me interested & rooting for the characters. Did think the ending was sort of rushed.
Jerilyn Ring
Jul 03, 2013 Jerilyn Ring rated it it was amazing
This is s story about a teenager who make unhealthy choices, and the consequences of those choices. The story addresses the issues of addiction,self blaming, and self worth as well as the ability to heal and change self defeating thoughts.
This is a must read for teenagers and parents.
Amy
Sep 10, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book has a great premise. And the writing style held your attention. The pace of it didn't seem quite consistent, though, with some events rushed past or ignored.
Kristie
Jul 11, 2015 Kristie rated it really liked it
Very touching and well-written journey of healing shame and guilt and learning to identify with the love that connects us all. Highly recommended for young people; inspiring for all.
Stephanie Montgomery
Feb 13, 2014 Stephanie Montgomery rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It touch on some really hard topics, like addiction and death. The end of the book left me craving more.
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Faye
Faye rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Kelli
Kelli rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Kristine
Kristine rated it it was amazing
Sharday Preyer
Sharday Preyer rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
Frankie
Must read for all young adults who drink
Mellissa
Mellissa rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Brie
Brie rated it did not like it
Margaret Duarte
Margaret Duarte rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2013
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Teresa Lavender
Teresa Lavender marked it as to-read
Melissa ownsbey
Melissa ownsbey marked it as to-read
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Diana Senn
Diana Senn marked it as to-read
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Megan Haman
Megan Haman marked it as to-read
Shayna
Shayna marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Davy
Davy marked it as to-read
Lisa Mullinix
Lisa Mullinix marked it as to-read
Tiffa (The Readers Lair)
Tiffa (The Readers Lair) marked it as to-read
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Vennie
Vennie marked it as to-read
Wendi
Wendi marked it as to-read
J.N.
J.N. marked it as to-read
Connie Chu
Connie Chu marked it as to-read
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Laken West
Laken West marked it as to-read
Barbara Zitsch
Barbara Zitsch marked it as to-read
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Robert Piacquad
Robert Piacquad marked it as to-read
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Josh Daugherty
Josh Daugherty marked it as to-read
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
KatanaThompson
KatanaThompson marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Jo Chandler did a variety of things in her career before she started writing young adult novels, including writing feature articles for a number of magazines and newspapers and editing a few others. Her first published novel is This Side of Forever, which kicks off the Forever series.

Along with writing novels for young people, she is most proud of the work she did with Wind Youth Services, a non-p
More about Jo Chandler...