Start by marking “The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child” as Want to Read:
The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child

The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The acclaimed book for parents whose children have special needs in school. The individualized Education Program, or IEP, determines the nuts and bolts of your child's special education. But it's easy to get lost in the paperwork and bureaucracy.
The Complete IEP Guide is your map through the IEP process. The book provides all the instructions, suggestions, strategies, reso
Published October 30th 2005 by NOLO (first published March 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete IEP Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete IEP Guide

Ki
Extremely useful. I think that any parent with a special needs child should read this one through, and own it.

But I think it should be taken with one grain of salt--this seems to deal mostly with those horrible worst-case situations when you have to fight tooth and nail with the school system. I don't think it gives quite enough on the fact that there may be school systems out there who have great programs, know how to help your child, and are going to do everything they can to help him/her.

So
amanda
IEPs = hate.

I read this at the beginning of my first year teaching as a high school resource science teacher. Having almost no idea about the legal crazyness that is an IEP, I thought I might get some insight here. This book seems to have the goal of helping parents becomes advocates for their child in special education but the way it is written makes it just as confusing and frustrating as the special education system itelf. 1 star is all I can muster to give.
Kristen
Excellent resource. I need to buy a copy of this one to keep on hand for when incidences come up along in the IEP process (which is inevitable). Invaluable information about your rights as a parent and what to do each step of the way to make sure you are getting what your child needs. I highly recommend it.
Jen
Holy crap, this was a lot of information. But it was presented in a logical format and was very readable. And I love how many examples of correspondance and disputes there were, and the section in the appendix of forms and form letters to use.
Jeannette
This book is heavy on the legal side of things and less on the how-to/helpful tips kind of thing. It is great to have alongside the more practical book, though. I found its legal depth really helpful.
Adalheid
Sep 16, 2007 Adalheid rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that has to do an IEP with their school
I learned that navigating the school system's IEP process, and getting the dirt on what your school will support without a fight is difficult, but worth it. This simplifies the process.

Beth
Feb 16, 2009 Beth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great basic IEP info. Easy to read and understand. Unfortunately I already knew a lot of the information, but a great resource. Would be very helpful for parents new to the process!
Aiesha
Good book for parents navigating the SPED journey. Clear, concise and sometimes repetitious info that helps "break down" the info.
Anna
Sep 03, 2007 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of special needs children
Everything you could ever want to know about preparing for and having an IEP...
Tara
Extremely helpful, full of information.
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Laura Menzel
Laura Menzel marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 05, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Feb 14, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Iamrhet
Iamrhet marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Amand
Amand added it
Jan 11, 2013
Nathan Zimmermann
Nathan Zimmermann marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2012
Silk
Silk marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
Joilynn
Joilynn is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2012
Nolo's IEP Guide: Learning Disabilities Least Restrictive Environment: The Paradox of Inclusion Complete IEP Guide, The: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child