Start by marking “On Dialogue” as Want to Read:
On Dialogue

On Dialogue

Never before has there been a greater need for deeper listening and more open communication to cope with the complex problems facing our organizations, businesses and societies. Renowned scientist David Bohm believed there was a better way for humanity to discover meaning and to achieve harmony. He identified creative dialogue, a sharing of assumptions and understanding, a ...more
Published May 13th 2013 by Routledge (first published October 31st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about On Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Dialogue

Alex Lee
This is a difficult book to classify. Although its written by a physicist, its really about the nature of being a human individual attempting to understand how to fit into the world.

Bohm at times, reaches into a near mystical state, not really scientific but more philosophical and religious when he describes how our expectations characterize our experience. He could be more philosophically explicit, but this may detract from what is already a very succinct text.

By extension these ideas can be re
Oct 23, 2015 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
اين نوشته ها به جان نفوذ مي كند. دوست داشتم همه اين كتاب را بخوانند.به هر كس كه ميرسم، با اشتياق ميگويم كه بخواندش ولي جز اندكي عموما توجهي نمي كنند. و اين خود چقدر به مطالب كتاب نزديك است. وقتي خوانده باشيش و ديگران اشتياقت را درك نكنند كه چقدر دوست داري بخوانندش، درد بسيار دارد. اين كتاب كوچك يادت ميدهد چگونه درون خودت سفر كني خودت را خالصانه از منظر يك سوم شخص بنگري و خودت را و نگاهت را به هستي بپالايي. جايگاهت را در هستي مي يابي انگار و ياد ميگيري كه چگونه نگاه كني، بينديشي و خلاق باشي.
Brandon Lott
Jan 22, 2013 Brandon Lott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immensely important to the future of humanity. If we can't dialogue ... we will continue a downward spiral in our humanity towards each other and the planet.
John David
David Bohm, the author of “On Dialogue,” was apparently recognized as one of the greatest theoretical physicists of the twentieth century. Despite my background in physics, I’d never heard of his contributions to the field, and I’d certainly never heard of his contributions to other fields, including … well, whatever you could call this book. Is it philosophy? Communications? I know it’s not an attempt at literary theory, but some of it seems to resemble it. It fancies itself a visionary way of ...more
May 27, 2008 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-favorites
David Bohm was a physicist by trade, but a man who had the capacity to abstract what he learned from his work into the larger arena of meaningful living. To read Bohm is to learn to think and talk again. His way of being in the world doesn't allow for a person to avoid participating or being changed by that participation.

In Peter Senge's intro (xiii) to this work, he draws on Bohm's words:
"A different kind of consciousness is possible among us, a PARTICIPATORY CONSCIOUSNESS." In genuine dialogu
Jun 02, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is a thin collection of essays, and seeming transcriptions of talks, collected and published posthumously. the major concepts of the book are not terribly complicated, especially compared to wholeness and the implicate order by the same author. consequently, i severely underestimated this book, and got blown away in chapter three to such an extent that i had to put the book down for a week, and try the chapter again.

this is a book about how we all think, together, and how we can try to
Mar 14, 2012 Phakin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Need more time and more basic knowledge, this book was very tough. Yet I think it was quite interesting despite the fact that I didn't even understand how can "a dialogue" work especially in such specific situation. By the way, Bohm's explanation on the relation between a 'tacit knowledge' and our actions was so touching.

If I say that this book "convinced" me to keep on examining my "self"... Was Bohm achieve his aims?
Seth Galbraith
Apr 13, 2008 Seth Galbraith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: activists and philosophers
Recommended to Seth by: B. F. Galbraith
Physicist David Bohm provides a uniquely european and scientific perspective into the paradoxes of identity which most westerners know only indirectly through translations and interpretations of asian scripture.

Bohm suggests a mechanism for exploring thought and perhaps even solving global problems through dialogue in which groups of people suspend and examine their assumptions about who they are and what they believe.
Janne Asmala
A great collection of thought-provoking articles from a Western scientist on the nature of consciousness and the possibilities dialogue might open up for it's development.
May 19, 2008 Kristina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching
This was very dry to me. I think Bohm is a physics professor writing about dialogue. What Jim Knight wrote in his book really sums up Bohms points concisely.
Jul 10, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mind steeped in logic, produces a fountain coherent of thoughts. A person genuinely driven with passion to create a common ground for mankind at all levels produces creative dialogue. David Bohm is combination of both.
Men have erroneously centred on the content of dialogue and thought rather than the processes involved and as a consequence produced incoherent thoughts and ideas that are impotent at solving the plethora of existential problems and paradoxes that confront the zeitgeist. Bohm's
Jan 28, 2008 Gene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: presencing
A seminal work on the dynamics of human dialogue by one of the most original thinkers of the 20th century.
Oct 02, 2012 Mikal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this book thinking it would be a quick read. In spite of its short length it was not.
On Dialogue was an extremely involved book, it reads like a series of essays that introduce concepts from the authors empirical experience, though the authors experience is never clarified, in addition to a plodding jaunt through dialogue as well as thoughts.
This book seems intended for deep study. I suspect that I will have to read it multiple times to receive full value.
The concepts boil down
- thoroughly explains how rapidly dialogues are diminishing within our society despite its growing need for it
- more focused on the theoretical and philosophical aspect
- would've liked to see more concrete examples that may be applied to practice
Julius Neviera
Aug 19, 2015 Julius Neviera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not easy as it delves into philosophical aspect of what is dialogue and thus should be regarded as such. It has many ideas that are now part of ever evolving set of systems thinking tools.
David Roberts
It's a collection of essays and transcribed talks over time. I'd say that Bohm is a phenomenal thinker and an average writer. Unfortunately he has some pet examples that show up in essy after essay, rather than a more robust set of images to make his point. Nonetheless, his point is strong and if you haven't thought deeply about how we communicate with eachother as individuals and societies this will be thought provoking (or maybe boring, depending on your perspective.)
Mario Gagliardi
Interesting book on conversation, dialogue, and thought. Very dense for the 100 pages that it is contained. The type of book that could be read several times and not completely understood. My favorite part was on "tacit knowledge"- knowledge that could not properly be stated such as how one might catch a ball without being able to explain that parabolic shape that the trajectory of the ball was in.
Dec 16, 2009 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting reading. should be more widely studied especially in corporate structures. Does strike me as naive and wish-full thinking. It is true that interaction breeds understanding, but legislatures have been interacting on a personal basis for some time and continue to largely pursue political self interest rather than rational process
Mitch Allen
Delightful little book on the role of dialogue within our culture, the power of collective thought and a call to action. Similar to his On Creativity, this is a collection of his writings on the topic of Dialogue, so while providing a fundamental philosophy and some unique insight, it is not sufficiently comprehensive.
Sep 01, 2008 Stephan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tough read, but very inspiring and 'thoughtprovoking'. Good to read from a scientist on this type of subject matter.

Putting the described dialogue techniques in practice is what it is all about, so I'll need to look for Dialogue groups that adhere to this way of communication.
May 24, 2012 Zrinka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Philosophical discussion on dialogue. Nothing spectacular, sometimes dull. I liked the bit where he points out that human behavior and feelings that we find troubling need to be approached and resolved as a paradox, not as a problem.
A book with a proposition that meanwhile has been explored without bringing about successful results. Nevertheless the concept seems to me very promising and may need further research and practical adaptation.
Sep 05, 2010 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on the recommendation of an instructor. I was taking 3 leadership classes with DISA and a very good instructor said I could benefit from this class. I am certainly glad I did.
Scott Ford
Another important book in my library. Bohm manages to synthesize the complexities of communication in sound, cogent considerations. Uncomplicated, yet intricate. Great!
Really seminal thinking from this renowned British Philosopher. his book has contributed to the thinking around promise based management and appreciative enquiry
The best part of it was not the description of the practice, but the purpose of dialogue to awaken consciousness in all of us in a collective process.
Warren Parad
Philosophy on conversation. It would be nice to talk about practical solutions to the problem proposed.
Carmen Rodríguez
Really unique description of what dialogue is and the problems of the world that it can solve with the how and why.
Gary D.
I liked the book, but I think that dialogue is a haphazard method for performing Husserl's free phantasy variation.
Tim Filbert
Jun 27, 2012 Tim Filbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need to review this... it's been awhile. But a critical examination of the complexities of dialogue.
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • The Systems View of the World: A Holistic Vision for Our Time
  • The Sciences of the Artificial
  • Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World
  • Focusing
  • Tools for Conviviality
  • Symposium/The Death of Socrates (Classics of World Literature)
  • Education And Peace (Clio Montessori)
  • The Best American Science Writing 2000
David Joseph Bohm (December 20, 1917 – October 27, 1992) was an American scientist who has been described as one of the most significant theoretical physicists of the 20th century and who contributed innovative and unorthodox ideas to quantum theory, neuropsychology and the philosophy of mind.
More about David Bohm...

“culture – the collectively shared meaning” 1 likes
“individual thought is mostly the result of collective thought and of interaction with other people. The language is entirely collective, and most of the thoughts in it are. Everybody does his own thing to those thoughts – he makes a contribution. But very few change them very much.” 1 likes