I am Abraham Lincoln

I am Abraham Lincoln (Ordinary People Change the World)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  56 reviews
We can all be heroes. That’s the inspiring message of this lively, collectible picture book biography series from New York Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer. Kids always search for heroes, so we might as well have a say in it, Brad Meltzer realized, and so he envisioned this friendly, fun approach to biography for his own kids, and for yours. Each book tells the story...more
Published January 14th 2014 by Dial Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about I am Abraham Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am Abraham Lincoln

'Ordinary People Change the World' is a lovely tagline and these charming, quirky books are quite attractive. But I can't get over that these are cataloged as nonfiction texts and include inauthentic and clearly made up speech bubbles and asides from historical figures. There are no attributions or sources and I believe that it will be nearly impossible for students to discern which quotes are actually authentic.

I really truly love the message of these books. But since they are cataloged and to...more
Nick
I really like the writing of Brad Meltzer and the illustrations of Chris Eliopoulos. I was puzzled at the idea that they would do a children's book about Lincoln, though, as their styles seemed like a poor fit for the subject matter. In fact, Eliopoulos chose to illustrate Lincoln as being short [???] and as a cartoony version of the adult Lincoln all through life, including whiskers he only grew in 1860. The effect was very odd.
The result is a very beginning introduction to Lincoln, but with en...more
Carole Roman
While I found the bubbles of the side comments made by the characters distracting, I did like the premise of this book. Humanizing larger than life characters makes it easier for children to relate to them. Meltzer picks themes that children can identify with so Abraham Lincoln ceases being the "guy on the penny", and his actions of fighting for what one believes in becomes understandable. In a few scenarios, Meltzer retells stories supposedly from Lincoln's own experiences that explains how his...more
Arretta Johnson
"Have you ever helped someone who was afraid of other kids or was being bullied? What did you do to help them? There might be many times in your life when you will see a friend or even a stranger who needs your help with a problem they have and I hope you choose to help them and not turn your back and walk away. Did you know that the 16th President of the United States helped a very large group of people with a terrible problem they had? Who was our 16th President? After the correct answer is gi...more
Denis Vukosav
“I am Abraham Lincoln” is an educational book for preschool children from Ordinary People Change World series written by Brad Meltzer and illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos that speaks about Abraham Lincoln allowing children to get to know more about this special person important for American history.

The author presents the most important events of his life starting from his childhood until the days when he became President. While talking about the things Lincoln loved to do, such as writing...more
Alice
This is a solid 4 stars. I am super excited about this whole series. I first saw these books in the Barnes and Nobles! Then I saw Brad Meltzer talk about them on a CSPAN book talk and I thought " We have to get these for the library!!!" I love that "ORDINARY PEOPLE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD"" This is a good telling about Abraham Lincoln...no the same old details and facts. I didn't know the story about the slaves on the boat or the turtle....very well done! Fun for adults and fun for kids too!!!

Note...more
Mrs. Knott
Good introduction to Abraham Lincoln for very young readers. Written in narrative format, it will hold young readers attention. However, lack of any nonfiction features makes it sound more like a story than a useful tool for obtaining information. I think I will like Meltzer's new series for very young children, but would quickly move them to something else when wanting to obtain more facts or use a more reliable informational source. I liked the photographs in the back depicting Abraham Lincoln...more
Amy
Ever since my students became increasingly interested in the "Who was?" series, the biography section in our library has been given new life. But those books aren't meant for young elementary kids. That is why this book "I am Abraham Lincoln" will be such a wonderful addition to our library. K-2 graders are interested in knowing about famous people. This book introduces them to Abe, but also teaches character qualities as well. My kids will be drawn in by the cover, but will stay engage d in the...more
Anne
Watch out for the “I am” series, which highlights Ordinary People that Change the World. They are simple biographies that introduce young readers to key historical figures through using a graphic novel like format. In the books, a message is interwoven that is powerful. It is also has nice details, like in the Abraham Lincoln one, it uses a turtle as a symbol of “injustice.” So much history is incorporated in many different ways! If you are trying to get your little tot between preschool to seco...more
Jo
Love this new juvenile biography series from Brad Meltzer! I've read both Abraham Lincoln and Amelia Earhart - each one is humorous and quirky with an inspirational message. The series is called Ordinary People Change the World and drives home the point that ordinary people can do extraordinary things. Great introductory informational books for young ones [K-2]. I'd say preschoolers too!
AnnieM
Brad Meltzer NAILED IT!!!

Abe Lincoln had a full life. Meltzer hits all the major points and some of the lesser known stories.

The part that really shines is that the author takes this great man in history and makes his greatness only applicable to a young person's life, but it's understand able.

I can't wait to see how the author handles other historic figures.
Mary
This is a fabulous overview of Abraham Lincoln's life written in a way that is accessible to children. The pictures are done in a way that resembles a graphic novel, and the text sounds like someone is talking to you. Additionally, it encourages the message that doing the right thing is always right, even when it isn't easy to do. This is a wonderful book!
Sarah Romero
I found this to be a great, accessible intro for my young son to an important historical figure. Especially enjoy the messages offered:
1) winning isn't everything, but how you comport yourself is.
2) the need to protect others and voice your stance against wrong doing.
I liked the little bits of humor in it and my little guy did, too.
Michelle  Simpson
This is the first book I have read of a new series called Ordinary People Change the World. I really enjoyed it, and the humor within it will encourage young readers to choose and read it. I have a bit of concern that it is an account of Lincoln that mixes fact and fiction, but I do think young readers will like it.
Samantha
This intro bio series is GREAT! Lincoln's childhood and rise to presidency is covered. His character is revealed through numerous examples of standing up for what is right, even when it was hard to do.

The tone is conversational, kid Lincoln speaks directly to the reader and reveals information about himself that even today's readers can relate to (i.e. he liked animals, his favorite books, and facing down bullies).

Great read aloud for classroom use in honor of Lincoln's birthday or President's...more
Amy Rae
I thought this one was marginally better than the Earhart biography, since it felt like the focus was more on young Lincoln than on glibly summarizing his entire life. But it still ends with a lot of generalized sentiment and ignores his death. Maybe these books would work better with living subjects.
Karen Arendt
This book provides a positive message about treating people equally and fairly, though the manner in which the information is presented, while factual, sounds more anecdotal. While there are no sources listed, there are some primary source photographs. A good book for preschool or kindergarten.
Carol
An adorable picture book biography for young readers. The only problem is that Abraham Lincoln's death was not mentioned at all, not even in any end notes. Again, I am guessing it was omitted to make a more happy and pleasant tale for small children. However as a biography it is rather incomplete.
Rachel C
This book is a very thoroughly written children's book about Abraham Lincoln. This book is written in a easy to understand format for young readers yet does not sacrifice the details of Abraham Lincoln's life. This book would be very useful when teaching a social studies unit on the Civil War.
Shelli
What a sweet introductory book about Abraham Lincoln for small children. The illustrations are adorable and Lincoln’s message of compassion and desire for knowledge are truly inspirational and lovingly delivered in the narrative. This book is best suited for children 6 or younger.
Dianne J.
This is a cute book, but I did not like that Meltzer portrayed Lincoln with a beard and hat even ass a child and as an adult he still looked like a child. The mention throughout the book that Lincoln would someday be on the penny is confusing to young children.
Earl
Ordinary People Change World is a new biographical picture book series from Brad Meltzer, best known as a bestselling author of adult thrillers. Positive and inspiring for preschoolers. Christopher Eliopoulos’ cute illustrations just add another layer of appeal!
Justina Spencer
This is the cutest little book about my hero Abraham Lincoln. It has a great message about doing what is right even it means people make fun of you. This book should be on every child's book case as an inspiration for changing the world into a better place.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A new biographical series for young readers that feature important historical figures. There is a touch of humor in the dialogue. There are few black and white photographs in the back of the book. I was sad to not see some additional end notes, or resources. The narrative aspect seemed to possible take some liberties, and there were a couple of things that I also felt that I wanted to check out in order to see if they were accurate.
Lisa
Historically inaccurate and completely ignores what happens to Lincoln after all his efforts, but little Lincoln (almost reminiscent of a Peanuts character) in his stovepipe hat and tidy beard is pretty adorable and has a valuable message to convey.
Jocelin
I hope that this & I am Amelia Earhartare just the first in a long line of books that explore American Icons.
Jenn
This fun little book focuses not only the story of Abraham Lincoln but the concept of standing up for others -- including turtles! It is well written with a wonderful mix of facts, humor and character development.
Barb Middleton
Shows how Lincoln stood up for what he believed in even when it wasn't easy. This series shows what famous people did as kids and ties it in with adult decisions. Well-written and a fun read aloud.
Adina
LOVED reading this book with my kids. They were all captivated. It really speaks well to children with a great message at the end. Excellent series. Can't wait for the other two to be released.
Mandy
a fun and informative non fiction picture book about our 16th president. I can see a lot of good discussion coming from this book as well as many opportunities to incorporate the 7 habits.
  • Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library
  • Henri's Scissors: with audio recording
  • Martin & Mahalia: His Words, Her Song
  • Gandhi: a March to the Sea
  • Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell
  • The Beatles Were Fab  (and They Were Funny)
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Nelson Mandela
  • Gravity
  • Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
Brad Meltzer is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Inner Circle, as well as the bestsellers The Tenth Justice, Dead Even, The First Counsel, The Millionaires, The Zero Game, The Book of Fate and The Book of Lies.

He is also one of the co-creators of the TV show, Jack & Bobby—and is the Eisner Award-winning author of the critically acclaimed comic book, Justice League of America.

His...more
More about Brad Meltzer...
Identity Crisis The Inner Circle The Tenth Justice The Zero Game The Book of Lies