Start by marking “I am Amelia Earhart” as Want to Read:
I am Amelia Earhart

I am Amelia Earhart (Ordinary People Change the World)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  80 reviews
We can all be heroes. That’s the inspiring message of this lively, collectible picture book biography series from New York Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer.
Kids always search for heroes, so we might as well have a say in it,” Brad Meltzer realized, and so he envisioned this friendly, fun approach to biography for his own kids, and for yours. Each book tells the story
Published January 14th 2014 by Dial Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about I am Amelia Earhart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am Amelia Earhart

Jocelin
This is a great introduction into the world of biographies for little readers. The story of Amelia Earhart is really done well. The story captures the readers attention and it incorporates a history lesson as well. I learned some thing about her myself by reading this book. The positive element about this book is encouraging kids to dream big. Mr. Meltzer has crafted a fun new way of looking at history. Well done.
Kelly
My 8 year old daughter was delighted by this book. I look forward to more form this series. It was fun for us both.
Tots R
I am Amelia Earhart (Ordinary People Change the World) by Brad Meltzer
This book gives you a fun approach to biography. This is a wonderful book with good illustrations. I am Amelia Earhart” is another book in Ordinary People Change World series, the educational books written for preschool children by Brad Meltzer and illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos. I recommend that all preschool teachers pick up a copy and read this to their children. This book talks about Amelia Earhart, she was a first
Fran
I am Amelia Earhart: Brad Meltzer

Amelia Earhart was a daredevil from the moment she could walk. Wearing dresses and acting all girly was not her thing. In her memory Brad Meltzer has written this outstanding tribute to this amazing aviator. Amelia Earhart did things that would stupefy, mystify and enrage of grandmother. Imagine at seven creating and building her your own roller coaster in your back year. See what she constructed as illustrator Christopher Eliopoulos brings the roller coaster to
Heidi
I have to say that the cartoon Amelia's cries of, "That was awesome!" made me laugh out loud, especially the excited look on her face. This is a story of pursuing one's dreams despite the doubts of others. The book does not go into her disappearance or some of the other things that happened in her life which is appropriate for the age group this is aimed at. The inclusion of photographs at the end of the book makes the story all the more realistic.
Ashley Lockhart
This book is part of a series by Brad Meltzer that examines different historical figures throughout history. Amelia Earhart's story is one that is important to women's issues, she did many things that women "didn't" do during her time. This book is told in a way that is interesting and easy to understand for young children. It is age-appropriate and has a rich plot that allows children to question or consider things that they might not have previously. The illustrations correspond to the text, e ...more
Elizabeth
I loved this book. I have been an Amelia Earhart fan all my life--my dad's awe of this woman was imparted to me. (Although I think he was intrigued more by the mystery of her demise.)
Just coming off "The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion" (Fannie Flagg) and having adored "Amelia and Eleanor go for a ride" (Pam Munoz Ryan) this book fell into my lap!
This is a book for children that explains that one's passion is within them from when they are very young. The author shows experiences that ma
Brandy
I just finished this book and another one (I am Albert Einstein) in the "Ordinary People Change the World" series and loved them both. The illustrations are cute, the descriptions of each role model's accomplishments are kid-friendly, and the messages about embracing curiosity and persisting in the face of critics and challenges are fantastic. I will have to collect the rest of the series!
Lynne
This series of biographies by Brad Melzer is wonderful! I read I am Albert Einstein, I am Rosa Parks, I am Abraham Lincoln, and I am Amelia Earhart today. Each is a wonderful introduction to an interesting person who made an impact in history. These graphic books are designed in a way that make the information accessible and lures readers in. This is both a good intro to the people and to reading biographies. Some of the best reading I have done in my life were fascinating biographies...some of ...more
Beverly
This is one of the books in the Ordinary People Change The World series. Other ordinary people include Abraham Lincoln, Rosa Parks (published in June 2014) and Alberts Einstein (published in September 2014).

I enjoyed this book and I feel that it will appeal to my very young readers. However, I'm not sure I would use for when my students do research on famous people. There are just two many things missing (birthday, doesn't mention her disappearance and there are no source notes.) Having said tha
Elizabeth Lauver
I am Amelia Earhart, by Brad Meltzer, was a book that took me on an adventure. I really enjoyed the perspective that the book was told in. I loved the cover of the book as well because it reminded of the Movie Up and drew my attention to the book in the first place. I loved the information that was given and discussed about Amelia Earhart. This is a book that I would not mind having available for my students in my future classroom. I could have my students do a character block project by using t ...more
Katy
I like the message but not the execution. This is a really incomplete biography. Source notes aren't present but photographs and quotes are. While this information isn't exactly necessary for children, it doesn't meet current standards and adult readers might be looking for signs of Meltzer's authority. Amelia's disappearance and other basic facts, like her birthday, aren't present. It's definitely too incomplete for elementary school kids looking for project resources.

Every picture book biogra
Mariellen Matz
As a child I loved history and I found this love through historic picture books. Now that I am older I have tried to share that love with children through those same books. Unfortunately the kids I have read them to didn't feel the same way about history as I did when I first read them. When I saw this book I bought it immediately because it is meant for a younger audience. The book incorporates cartoon style characters with silly words and real facts. Amelia is drawn as a child through the enti ...more
Jacoba
This is a solid 3.5 stars. It is a biography told from Amelia's point of view. It leaves out a lot of information-including her disappearance. Even when Amelia is an adult she is drawn as a child. I think that could work in some instances, but the people around her are all adults and it did not sit well with me. I debate on whether "you can do anything (even if you're a girl) is a good message because what if it had never occurred to girls they can't do something before reading this book?
pati
Only four stars for this otherwise fabulous book. The art is wonderful, however, Amelia's character stays childlike throughout the whole book. It would have been more accurate to have her grow up as she describes all the adventures she was having. Obviously time is passing so why doesn't she also mature?

Note to all authors/artists: You don't have to simplify things to write for children, if they don't get it, they will read it again.

Series: Ordinary People Change the World
Julie
The kid appeal is huge here. This book made A Mighty Girl's list of top books of 2014 for good reason. We have it shelved in biography, and while liberties were surely taken with those conversation bubbles, the spirit of adventure is authentic. The message that girls can do thing never thought possible is clear--and "awesome!" Is this book series a good idea? No, "it's the BEST idea" for introducing famous historical figures to kids who never even knew they wanted to learn about them.
Amy Rae
It's a biography that leaves out Amelia Earhart's last, perhaps her most famous, major contribution to American culture: her disappearance and possible death. That makes the book of limited use as a biography, and I don't think the text isn't interesting enough to make a good bedtime story. I would have enjoyed it more if it focused on one or two events from Earhart's childhood, rather than giving us a broad overview with a lot of pat lines about believing in yourself.
Holly
A fun read that will be enjoyed by both kids and adults. Brad Meltzer brings to life the passion, determination, and sense of adventure of Amelia Earhart. The illustrations by Christopher Eliopoulos are detailed and full of adventure too. Readers will be inspired!
babyhippoface
This little book focuses on Amelia Earhart's determination to pursue her passion despite the criticism and discouragement of those who believed she couldn't--or shouldn't--do what she was attempting. It emphasizes the fact that she wasn't a natural at flying, she just worked harder than other people. It mentions nothing of her disappearance, but that's not the point of the book. Passion and determination, that's the point, and it comes across loud and clear.
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
This is a much better effort than the I Am Abraham Lincoln book. I like the message that you should go for your dreams, and the story flows well for kids. It is still a little creepy how the characters look the same, even as they are supposed to age. She looks 3 when she says she's 22. The story does not mention her disappearance at all, which is probably too awkward an ending to explain to the intended audience age group anyway.
Hae Sun
This is a cute, quirky book about Amelia Earhart. It is written in the voice of a young girl. This book encourages girls and boys to never let anyone tell you it can't be done.

I would use this book in instruction on female historical figures. This story also has a good moral about never giving up. It's not as dry as other non-fiction books because it gives the facts in a story/ narrative form.

Marcie
Brad Meltzer is a new-to-me author. He's written many thrillers and a few children's books. I am grateful to have discovered him. I Am Amelia Earhart is a delightful book about, you guessed it, Amelia Earhart. The book features some fantastic artwork by Christopher Eliopoulos. Meltzer and Eliopoulos make a terrific team.

I Am Amelia Earhart is written for young readers. It takes the reader through Amelia's childhood as she develops her love for flying. Her success and failures are noted. I love
Rachel C
This book is a very thoroughly written children's book about the first female aviator to cross the Atlantic Ocean, Amelia Earhart. This book is written in a easy to understand format for young readers yet does not sacrifice the details of Amelia's life. This book would be very useful when teaching a social studies unit on the female contributors and historical figures.
Heather Brownlee
Very cute, could have had more facts. I liked that there were some pictures at the end to show what Amelia looked like throughout her life. It would be a cute story for children to get them interested in Amelia and then show them other biographies as well. Fun illustrations with Amelia flying, and some cute captions to go along with the illustrations.
Heydi Smith
What an amazing and motivating book about Amelia Earhart! I loved the illustrations and how strongly Amelia emphasized that she did things that everyone said she shouldn't or couldn't do. What a great inspirations non-fiction book for little ones. I would definitely share this with an older story time group.
Karen Arendt
This book has a very positive message for the reader- to never give up. The information is presented clearly as well. I wish that as Amelia grew older in the text, the illustrations of her showed her older as well. Includes one photos of Amelia from childhood and adulthood. No source notes are listed.
Mary
This is a fabulously inspirational book for children (especially girls) about doing what they believe in, even when other people may not think it's possible or right. The illustrations are fabulous and the text is very well explained. Great for early elementary or upper level ECE readers!
Carol
Adorable illustrations and a simple retelling of the life of Amelia Earhart. The only problem is there was no mention of her final flight and disappearance. I am guessing it was probably omitted to make it more pleasant for young readers. However, it is a pretty significant item to leave out.
Angela
This series is an educators dream come true. An informational, biography book for beginning readers! The text is written in a simplified way that is easy for children to read, but does not take away from the historical information.

Reading level: K-3
Interest Level: 5-8
Lynn
We loved this. I had to read it three times in a row. My Kindergartner kept asking "This is real?" wow.

I love the message:

"Never let anyone stop you.
Whatever your dream is chase it.
Work hard for it."

All things you need to do to live a fulfilling life.
  • Star Stuff: Carl Sagan and the Mysteries of the Cosmos
  • A Home for Mr. Emerson
  • Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell
  • Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • Hello, I'm Johnny Cash
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Harlem's Little Blackbird
  • Little Melba and Her Big Trombone
  • The Iridescence of Birds: A Book About Henri Matisse
  • Mr. Ferris and His Wheel
  • The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus
  • Becoming Babe Ruth
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Malala, a Brave Girl from Pakistan/Iqbal, a Brave Boy from Pakistan
Brad Meltzer is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Inner Circle, as well as the bestsellers The Tenth Justice, Dead Even, The First Counsel, The Millionaires, The Zero Game, The Book of Fate and The Book of Lies.

He is also one of the co-creators of the TV show, Jack & Bobby—and is the Eisner Award-winning author of the critically acclaimed comic book, Justice League of America.

His
More about Brad Meltzer...

Ordinary People Change the World (8 books)
  • I am Abraham Lincoln
  • I am Rosa Parks
  • I am Jackie Robinson
  • I am Albert Einstein
  • I am Lucille Ball
  • I am Helen Keller
  • I am Martin Luther King, Jr.
Identity Crisis The Inner Circle (Culper Ring, #1) The Tenth Justice The Zero Game The Book of Lies