Start by marking “What Color Is Your Parachute? 2014: A Practical Manual for Job Hunters and Career Changers” as Want to Read:

The world's most popular job-search book is updated for 2014 to tailor its long-trusted guidance with up-to-the-minute information and advice for today's job-hunters and career-changers.
In today's challenging job-market, the time-tested advice of "What Color Is Your Parachute?" is needed more than ever. Recent grads facing a tough economic landscape, workers laid off mid-
Published August 12th 2014 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about What Color Is Your Parachute? 2014, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Color Is Your Parachute? 2014

Telecosm by George GilderUntil the Sun Falls by Cecelia HollandThe Art of War by Sun TzuA Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto MusashiIn, But Not of by Hugh Hewitt
OrgA
6th out of 39 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Amanda Pearl
I think this is a great book for someone who isn't happy with their current job and wants to figure out exactly what they want to do that will be fulfilling, not just pay the bills.

I graduated from college a few years ago and back then I was just sending out resumes and I accepted the first offer I got. I didn't worry to much if I was going to like the job, just that I needed to find one. Now I have a few years of experience under my belt and I think I can afford to be a little choosier.

I liked
kylajaclyn
Feb 01, 2015 kylajaclyn rated it it was ok
First of all, that's a hot air balloon on the cover, not a parachute. Is anyone else bothered by this?? A hot air balloon takes you up, and a parachute helps you land safely on the ground. Not the same thing!! Also, where are any mentions of parachutes or colors in this book? I was honestly expecting it to be like other books based on fitting into a specific color family, but in regards to finding a career. Obviously you shouldn't judge a book by its cover which, in this case, is false on all le ...more
Amy
Sep 10, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Richard N Bolles is like a god in the career counseling world, but I have to admit that I have never been much of a What Color is Your Parachute? person. Knowing that makes me a pariah in career counseling circles even if my colleagues don't know they should treat me like one. However, I know that many job seekers every year turn to Bolles, and given The Great Recession, this minister's words of comfort have been greatly needed. Actually, when I found myself going through my own career crisis wh ...more
Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill
See full review @ The Indigo Quill: http://theindigoquill.blogspot.com/20...

What Color Is Your Parachute? is a book I always heard of, but never actually read. I can't say this book fully applies to me since I'm pretty set in more than one career at the moment (Cosmetology until I graduate college, then teaching music), but I thought I could look at it from a different perspective than one who is already feeling a little discouraged or stagnant in their search for their "calling" in life. I thi
Lametra Off
This book - updated every year - is for college graduates, retirees, career changers, someone who does not know what to do what his life, and/or those who think they know the right career for them. Essentially, this book is for everyone or anyone who wants to have a career or job she enjoys and know why. However, this book is not for the lazy. The book is full of activities and exercises of self-reflection and self-assessment....so you have to think, prioritize, think, and reprioritize, and thin ...more
Lindsay
Jan 28, 2016 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, careers
Review originally posted on Tsundokuholic.

What Color is Your Parachute? by Richard N. Bolles is an annual guide to job-hunting and figuring out what career path is right for you. I picked up this book because I’ve been feeling lost in my career path since…well…my whole life, basically. I decided to go into teaching because, having spent 22 years of my life in classrooms as a student, that’s the career I knew the most about. I didn’t have experience in anything else besides retail and customer se
Martha Monroe
I read the 2014 version, so it's a little different from the summary above there. I rated it so low because I didn't really have a need to read this book, other than it was part of my book challenge. I'm not looking for a new job or career or anything so adult-like at this point in my life.

However, it did have some good tips on how to format your resume, and also some great questions to ask during interviews that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. I think if you are having troubles finding a
Katlyn
Aug 27, 2015 Katlyn rated it liked it
I guess a lot of it didn't apply to me, since I am not looking to apply for another job right now but start my own. The chapter he had on starting a business contained somewhat cursory information I already was familiar with. However, at the back of the book he has some significant appendices, and the chapter there on understanding your mission in life was both insightful and comforting, and gave me a new perspective that eased the decision I made to choose the field I'm now pursuing. I'm not re ...more
Nikki Wilson
The first two sections of the book have some practical bits of info for job hunters & career shifters. It helped me imagine alternative career paths, & helped me identify transferable skills. The later / last portion of the book gets strangely religious & includes career counseling advice / options. Another on the Rory Reading Challenge, and helpful along the way.
James Wilson
Aug 10, 2014 James Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If your looking to move jobs or just want to know abit more about yourself then this book will help.

Its a good read full of helpful hint and some really insightful activities to help you find out what you are good at and more importantly what makes you tick.
Debbie
Nov 24, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an unexpected surprise. I figured I'd get the typical career advice as well as some job hunting techniques, but I got so much more than that. Taking time to work on my Parachute Flower was key to gaining valuable insight as to who I am. The favorite subject matrix and the favorite people chart really opened my eyes to what is important to me. The prioritizing grid was HUGE in enabling me to figure out the exact order, and I can see me using this in the future. Finally, Appendix B w ...more
Lisa
Marvelous! I can't rate it properly until I complete the tools the author provides, yet I suspect they will be very useful.
Wilfrid Guess
Feb 21, 2016 Wilfrid Guess rated it it was amazing
I secured my first real job thank to this book! thanks a lot
Akshata
Aug 27, 2014 Akshata rated it really liked it
Shelves: skills
This easy to read book is full of great advice for job hunters and career changers alike. Bolles is very conversational and easy to follow. His flower method for practical introspection is long and comprehensive, but that's what it takes if one wants to do an in depth revamp of goals and directions in life. Personality tests are quick and easy and can only do so much, while this method is far more effective. While I concentrated on the career changer part, there's tons of advice and resources (y ...more
Bilal
Nov 22, 2013 Bilal rated it it was amazing
This is the second or third edition that I've read of What Color is Your Parachute and like its predecessors, it's a highly informative book that gives readers knowledge and tools they'll need in order to (hopefully successfully) transition from one career to another. I especially like the fact that he has payed special attention not only to using sites like Linkedin, but also how to use it effectively. Just about anyone can benefit from this book and apply it to their next job/career search.
Linda
Nov 26, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
The grandfather of career self-help books-- only met one person so far who's never heard of it-- but this one is no dinosaur. Updated with an entire section about your online resume (google-search your name, that's it) and a more intuitive Flower Exercise, plus good salary reality-check and tons of online resources. Bear in mind that some regions (such as the SF-area and Left Coast in general) follows a different tune. Check it out at some point in your career, from your local library at least.
Anser
Feb 01, 2015 Anser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a very interesting book. I have finally finished it, but it's taught me some things. I am going to refer back to it sometimes, during my job search. It's given a new dimension to my life. It's sparked some new thoughts.
Roya
Jan 12, 2015 Roya added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish, dull
I'm not even going to rate this because I don't need a job and I didn't even finish it. I really tried to, but it was too dull. It's not applicable to me at the moment. The first hundred pages were mildly engaging, but after that? Yeah, nothing.
Petrina
Apr 09, 2014 Petrina rated it liked it
I'd give this a 3.5/5. The activities are thought-provoking and a good guide to organize thoughts. The rest of the chapters were not too relevant for my needs but I did enjoy the section that aimed to help the reader get a better understanding of themself.
Becky
Mar 03, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is quite helpful!
Alysia
Sep 26, 2013 Alysia rated it really liked it
Definitely consider picking this up if you are job hunting at all! After reading it my action list is a mile long. I learned a lot about job hunting in 2013, using LinkedIn and other online networking resources, and totally revamped my resume. Good stuff!
Prasan
Nov 17, 2015 Prasan rated it liked it
In this world of constant change you need to be updated with the community of people you wanted to work with or industry you wanted to work in. Reading a book will not solve all of your problems but only make you think more.
Khaled Aljabri
Oct 30, 2013 Khaled Aljabri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أنصح به لجميع الباحثين عن عمل، أو من يفكر في تغيير عمله.

Written by a real specialist who goes directely to what you need in details. Full of insights while doing the excercises, specially the flower excercise.
Samantha & Sean
Feb 23, 2014 Samantha & Sean rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs inspiration for seeking out their next job opportunity or purpose in life.
Recommended to Samantha & Sean by: Lynn LeChevalier
This book is for anyone embarking on a job hunt or career search. It informs the reader about methods to find meaningful work and exciting unique opportunities tailored to passions.
Jodi
Feb 04, 2015 Jodi rated it it was amazing
I feel like I should buy this for every youth I know...

-A nonfiction book
-A book by an author you've never read before
-A book you started but never fnished
Teri
Jan 12, 2015 Teri rated it it was amazing
Not the same edition I read so many years ago, but it really got me on the track I needed to follow.
Janet Richards
Oct 27, 2014 Janet Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful for getting back into the job search frame of mind.
Ted
Feb 22, 2014 Ted rated it really liked it
everything I was told it would be.
Eric Heckathorne
Very interesting read.
Marsi Kajsiu
Marsi Kajsiu is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
  • What Motivates Me: Put Your Passions to Work
  • The 5 Essentials: Using Your Inborn Resources to Create a Fulfilling Life
  • I'm an English Major -- Now What?: How English Majors Can Find Happiness, Success, and a Real Job
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Art of Getting Started
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
  • The Nice Girl Syndrome: Stop Being Manipulated and Abused -- And Start Standing Up for Yourself
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
  • Seven Days to Tell You
  • When Good People Have Affairs: Inside the Hearts & Minds of People in Two Relationships
  • First Impressions: What You Don't Know About How Others See You
  • Knits Men Want
  • Knock 'em Dead Cover Letters: Features the Latest Information on: Online Postings, Email Techniques, and Follow-up Strategies (Cover Letters That Knock 'em Dead)
  • The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing: A Book for Procrastinators, the Financially Challenged, and Everyone Who Worries about Dealing with Their Money
  • Spend Game (Lovejoy, #4)
  • The Gift of a Good Start
  • Wendy Knits Lace: Essential Techniques and Patterns for Irresistible Everyday Lace