The Complete Artist's Way : Creativity as a Spiritual Practice

The Complete Artist's Way : Creativity as a Spiritual Practice

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  959 ratings  ·  47 reviews
For the millions of readers who have experienced the rich rewards of following any or all of Julia Cameron's three twelve-week programs for creative recovery, here is a gorgeous cloth-bound edition that includes The Artist's Way, Walking in This World, and Finding Water. In her introduction, Cameron reflects on the artist's journey and provides deep insights into how reade...more
Published October 18th 2007 by Tarcher

Lisa
I read this book while I wrote Still Alice, and I'm reading it again while I write Left Neglected. Thank you, Julia Cameron, for this amazing gift!! And thank you to RJ Julia's book store in CT for the gift of this edition.
Ashy
Well, a lot of people recommended this book to me and I think they were right. It is a very full and thorough process of self examination and of challenging yourself and your beliefs, lifestyle, needs... there are also good quotes on each page and it is a rich resource for people who want to be more creative or get in touch with a lost creative side. I can see why it has become almost cult-like in popularity!

I did find some parts a little over-cheesy and it's very much in the self-help vein, but...more
Kate
Feb 08, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the person sitting there wishing they could do (fill in the blank here)
read this with my bad ass girls group. (you know who you are out there in goodreads land)

it took us a year at our pace of "a chapter a week" and plenty of tea and snacks and talk about sex in between. the activities are perfect, and dig up plenty of things you weren't expecting, like going to a healing yoga class. you dig around in your muscles and all of a sudden you're releasing all of these toxic emotions buried somewhere in your synapses and sinews.

this book is like being in creativity recov...more
Libbie
Not bad. This book was recommended by a friend because it has some good exercises that she thought I might find useful in overcoming a particularly bad spate of writer's block. I did indeed find the exercises useful, and they were innovative as well - not the usual "just write free-flow words for like an hour!" crap that is usually recommended. This book is geared toward jump-starting a creative stall no matter what type of art one practices; it is not for writers alone. Minus one star because s...more
Aviva
I enjoyed the tasks set forth in this book, and ultimately the platform provided for facing oneself and making your creative or artistic self a priority. It addresses some of the real issues of being an artist in a world that may not cater to cultivating you. Lots of the information and self-discovery was a reminder or review course for me, but welcome nonetheless.
I am a spiritual person, but for those who find terms like God, Creator and faith distracting or counterproductive triggers, you are...more
Orishaz
Aug 13, 2010 Orishaz is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to tap into their creativity.
I'm really enjoying this book. I'm on the exercise for week 4 called "Reading Deprivation" and it is really hard not to read for a week. It is taking me out of my normal routine, but I'm almost done so I will stick with it. My goal is to conquer all of the demons that are blocking my creativity and I've only heard great things about this book. Doing the morning pages and the artist dates are interesting and really helping me.
I LOVE this book.
This book has a beautiful way of looking at the intersections between creativity and spirituality in order to live our fullest lives.
Rico D del Rosario
The Complete Artists' Way contains

1 The Artist's Way
2 Walking in this World
3 Finding Water

If you stick closely to the program, it will take you 36 weeks to complete these three books. I do recommend 39 weeks. Three extra weeks for as interim, to read through the respective introductions/basic tools of each book.

Now, the subtitle says it all: Creativity as a Spiritual Practice. You will gain more from these books if you don't just read but experience them.

There are four tools you are asked to und...more
Victoria
I read the Artist's Way the first time almost a dozen years ago and continue to use several of the tools it presents. I received this bound collection of Cameron's three books in this series as a Xmas gift and it's a real treat revisiting the material. I haven't read the second and third books in the series (Walking in this World and Finding Water). The only downside to this collection is how HEAVY this volume is. It's a gorgeous hardcover with heavy weight, acid-free paper. Truly a lovely editi...more
John-Nathan
I'm rereading this how to, DIY, creativity-as-spiritual practice workbook. This is my third serious attempt at this book. So far I'm in week 2. I'm surprised how fast the creative juices are coming through, and more when I choose for the creative to come through. Creativity is proving to be a bit like a child, and when not given appropriate tools for governance and management, it rebels. I have many more weeks to go, but will update this with a more complete review when I finish.
Pierced Librarian
I really enjoyed this book. I was in an artists group several years ago and we worked our way throughout this book each week during a particularly cold and dark winter.

I especially enjoy the quotes on almost each page.

I bought another Artist's Way book this week and am surprised at how much still resonates with me. I may need to get some friends together to do it again this winter.
Zeke Applegate
This is a heavy book and it will take me awhile to get through it so I bought it, tho I resist intellectual approach to creativity, this seems to make sense, like the doing the morning paper each morning (writing 3 pages of what ever is on yur mind Like a catharisis. So Iwill travel with this book for the winter.
Josh
Apr 13, 2010 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Josh by: Stumbled upon it by way of destiny
This book is the ultimate tool to self-nurturance and care. While reading this book it illuminuted minute, yet many, small ways in which I was neglecting myself. This book changed my life. If you want good exercises to spur your creativity and new ways to nourish your inner youth than this book is for you.
Staci
After a while I started ignoring the tasks and just read for help for the different problems artists face. There is a lot of personal/anectdotal material and things are repeated throughout the three books but the overall messages are necessary in order to "keep on keeping on."
Rod
Sep 15, 2012 Rod added it
this book was the ladder that took me to a different level in my life. for me, journaling became blogging which has been with me now for 5 years. with the morning pages, i have learned to exercise the ghosts, wrap the wounds, and put a poultice on the festers.
Lisa
I continue to read this book as well as Cameron's later books "Walking In the World", and "Finding Water", recently released as a hardbound book with all three volumes. A wonderful companion book for artists of all types about creativity as a spiritual journey...
Janet Roberts
I read this book, and did all the exercises and tasks, including the Morning Pages. I also went to London, England to attend a Workshop run by Julia.
If you want to get your creative juices running, and are prepared to put in the work, this is the book for you
kristen
Sep 18, 2008 kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists, writers, creatives
Recommended to kristen by: an artist friend
I'm working my way thru this one a little at a time. I really like the exercises she gives each week. I must admit I am sporadic on doing my daily pages (journaling) but I do enjoy them.
Hopefully I can use this to untap some of my blocked creativity.
AYLA
This is an indispensable book. You need the time and space to metabolize the book and to commit to the work. But its worth it.

I come back to it time and time again. Its always "on my self". New lessons always to be learned, or just be reminded of.
Cindy Richard
There is so much to say about this book that I could not possibly sum it up here. The only thing I will say is if you are an artist of any sort, you NEED to read this book and make it a part of your permanent library.
Vivian
I have never found a better book. If you are looking at finding a book that pertains to self improvement this is the book. It requires a lot of work and a lot of journalling but if you really need help getting through life this may be the book for you.
Kati
I am glad to have read and worked with this book. It didn't change my life but it might have helped set me on a good path. It certainly has helped me clarify my intentions. And I use affirmations a lot more now. All in all, a very positive time.
Steven J.
If you have ever even thought about writing or about expressing your artistic streak, then you NEED this book! I did not realize how much my "inner critic" was keeping me from expressing myself until I read Julia Cameron.
Zoie
The most therapeutic book I've ever read.
If you want to REALLY get to know yourself, read this book.

I feel like I just got five years of therapy in like two days.

I would recommend this book to anyone.
Maria Noah
Stopped reading it.
I've seen evidence that insisting on its patterns induces extreme selfishness to the point of excluding functional compassion for others and inducing inflexibility.
Andee
Meh, I'm just not a big fan of this book. But my theory is way different than the authors. However, anything that motivates you to create it a good thing
Thystle
May 01, 2009 Thystle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks interested in breaking out of a creative (artistic or otherwise) rut
Recommended to Thystle by: Cristie!
Its actually three books in one and I only finished the first one - The Artist's Way. Will give a complete review once I finish the other three.
Missy
My friends and I are following this over a year, so far I love it and reccomend it to those trying to balance life and personal exploration.
Christine
Jan 26, 2010 Christine is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Everybody!
I just bought this on Amazon and can't wait to get it!

Got it in the mail today 01/26/10 and I'm already sinking my teeth in.
Natalie
This is a 12 week course to work through so it'll sit here on my 'reading' list for a while...
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • Everyday Sacred: A Woman's Journey Home
  • Inspiration Sandwich: Stories to Inspire Our Creative Freedom
  • Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • The Woman's Comfort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide for Restoring Balance in Your Life
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life
  • The Artist's Way at Work: Riding the Dragon
  • I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
Julia Cameron has been an active artist for more than thirty years, with fifteen books (including bestsellers The Artist's Way, Walking In This World and The Right to Write) and countless television, film, and theater scripts to her credit. Writing since the age of 18, Cameron has a long list of screenplay and teleplay credits to her name, including an episode of Miami Vice, and Elvis and the Beau...more
More about Julia Cameron...
The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life The Vein of Gold Walking in this World The Sound of Paper