Start by marking “The Complete Artist's Way : Creativity as a Spiritual Practice” as Want to Read:
The Complete Artist's Way : Creativity as a Spiritual Practice

The Complete Artist's Way : Creativity as a Spiritual Practice

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,684 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
For the millions of readers who have experienced the rich rewards of following any or all of Julia Cameron's three twelve-week programs for creative recovery, here is a gorgeous cloth-bound edition that includes The Artist's Way, Walking in This World, and Finding Water. In her introduction, Cameron reflects on the artist's journey and provides deep insights into how reade ...more
Published October 18th 2007 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Artist's Way , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Artist's Way

Lisa
Jun 15, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I read this book while I wrote Still Alice, and I'm reading it again while I write Left Neglected. Thank you, Julia Cameron, for this amazing gift!! And thank you to RJ Julia's book store in CT for the gift of this edition.
Ashy
Oct 01, 2010 Ashy rated it really liked it
Well, a lot of people recommended this book to me and I think they were right. It is a very full and thorough process of self examination and of challenging yourself and your beliefs, lifestyle, needs... there are also good quotes on each page and it is a rich resource for people who want to be more creative or get in touch with a lost creative side. I can see why it has become almost cult-like in popularity!

I did find some parts a little over-cheesy and it's very much in the self-help vein, but
Kate
Feb 08, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the person sitting there wishing they could do (fill in the blank here)
read this with my bad ass girls group. (you know who you are out there in goodreads land)

it took us a year at our pace of "a chapter a week" and plenty of tea and snacks and talk about sex in between. the activities are perfect, and dig up plenty of things you weren't expecting, like going to a healing yoga class. you dig around in your muscles and all of a sudden you're releasing all of these toxic emotions buried somewhere in your synapses and sinews.

this book is like being in creativity recov
Jess
Oct 07, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it
Place holder for audio version of "Reflections on The Artist's Way"
Brick ONeil
Jan 20, 2015 Brick ONeil rated it it was ok
"The Complete Artist's Way" was on a bargain rack when Border's was going out of business a few years ago. The elegant cover, the mountain top peak, the subtitle 'Creativity as a Spiritual Practice' certainly caught my eye. I thumbed a few pages and a spark of interest was lit. So I bought the tome and headed home.

After reading just a few pages, it became clear that "The Complete Artist's Way" was way more spiritual, introspective and spiritual than ever would or could have wanted. I do meditate
Aviva
Jan 30, 2012 Aviva rated it liked it
I enjoyed the tasks set forth in this book, and ultimately the platform provided for facing oneself and making your creative or artistic self a priority. It addresses some of the real issues of being an artist in a world that may not cater to cultivating you. Lots of the information and self-discovery was a reminder or review course for me, but welcome nonetheless.
I am a spiritual person, but for those who find terms like God, Creator and faith distracting or counterproductive triggers, you are
Orishaz
Aug 13, 2010 Orishaz is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to tap into their creativity.
I'm really enjoying this book. I'm on the exercise for week 4 called "Reading Deprivation" and it is really hard not to read for a week. It is taking me out of my normal routine, but I'm almost done so I will stick with it. My goal is to conquer all of the demons that are blocking my creativity and I've only heard great things about this book. Doing the morning pages and the artist dates are interesting and really helping me.
Dewkist Farm
Jul 24, 2016 Dewkist Farm rated it really liked it
The Complete Artist's Way is a compilation of three books. I would give 5 stars to the first two: The Artist's Way and Walking in This World. But I would give the final book, Finding Water only 2 stars.
Jun 09, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book.
This book has a beautiful way of looking at the intersections between creativity and spirituality in order to live our fullest lives.
Matthew Kresal
Apr 15, 2015 Matthew Kresal rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine gave me this book almost a year ago now and she inscribed within it these words:

"This book will change your life, if you let it."

While I must admit I was skeptical at first, I now must confess there is some truth to those words. While there is definitely a spiritual part to this book, something that I must admit as someone who is agnostic and a border-line atheist I found at times disconcerting, it is hard to argue with the basic message of the three books (The Artist's Way, W
Brandon Wicke
Jun 12, 2015 Brandon Wicke rated it liked it
I feel I gained lots from the half of this book that I read, but sadly I'm throwing in the towel (after months of it sitting on my 'currently-reading' list with no justifiable claim to that status.)

I think there is great sense and wisdom in this book, and it helped me get unstuck in my own artistic process - however I think I lost interest when I felt the central notions were simply being reiterated different ways.

The central theme that creativity is the spark of the divine/spiritual in humanit
Victoria Smith
Apr 03, 2013 Victoria Smith rated it it was amazing
I read the Artist's Way the first time almost a dozen years ago and continue to use several of the tools it presents. I received this bound collection of Cameron's three books in this series as a Xmas gift and it's a real treat revisiting the material. I haven't read the second and third books in the series (Walking in this World and Finding Water). The only downside to this collection is how HEAVY this volume is. It's a gorgeous hardcover with heavy weight, acid-free paper. Truly a lovely editi ...more
Lana H Allen
Feb 28, 2016 Lana H Allen rated it it was amazing
I read this book about four years ago and it has helped to change my life in wonderful ways. This book was part of a tapping (EFT) course, Tapping into Creativity with Brad Yates.

Reading Julia's book, doing Brad's lessons for each chapter, and using tapping to release blocks and limiting beliefs, resulted in a really powerful experience.

The morning pages that Julia teaches about in her book helped me to form a habit of writing every day. Over the past few years, I have developed my own techniq
Jen
Mar 07, 2015 Jen rated it liked it
Diane Clayton
Nov 11, 2015 Diane Clayton rated it it was amazing
This book was life changing for me. By doing the daily pages & working through the exercises, I realized I'd always wanted to perform on stage, on film, TV, whatever. The exercises & inspirational readings set me on a path to a stand-up comedy & acting career that lasted 15 years. I'm so pleased that I followed my dreams & many thanks to Julia for helping me get there. I also recommend "Dreams Into Action" by Milton Katselas.
John-Nathan
Jun 09, 2010 John-Nathan rated it really liked it
I'm rereading this how to, DIY, creativity-as-spiritual practice workbook. This is my third serious attempt at this book. So far I'm in week 2. I'm surprised how fast the creative juices are coming through, and more when I choose for the creative to come through. Creativity is proving to be a bit like a child, and when not given appropriate tools for governance and management, it rebels. I have many more weeks to go, but will update this with a more complete review when I finish.
Zeke Applegate
This is a heavy book and it will take me awhile to get through it so I bought it, tho I resist intellectual approach to creativity, this seems to make sense, like the doing the morning paper each morning (writing 3 pages of what ever is on yur mind Like a catharisis. So Iwill travel with this book for the winter.
James Eckman
Jun 19, 2015 James Eckman rated it did not like it
Shelves: art, non-fiction
This collection of three books are supposed to help your creativity through spiritual practice. Between its overtly religious tones and the 12 A.A.-like steps I found this book not useful and annoying to read. I couldn't finish it. If you are an amateur artist like me, should you really be treating lapses of creativity as a disease? The cure seems worse than the disease.
Pierced Librarian
Dec 07, 2013 Pierced Librarian rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I was in an artists group several years ago and we worked our way throughout this book each week during a particularly cold and dark winter.

I especially enjoy the quotes on almost each page.

I bought another Artist's Way book this week and am surprised at how much still resonates with me. I may need to get some friends together to do it again this winter.
Cindy Richard
Dec 21, 2013 Cindy Richard rated it it was amazing
There is so much to say about this book that I could not possibly sum it up here. The only thing I will say is if you are an artist of any sort, you NEED to read this book and make it a part of your permanent library.
kristen
Sep 18, 2008 kristen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: artists, writers, creatives
Recommended to kristen by: an artist friend
I'm working my way thru this one a little at a time. I really like the exercises she gives each week. I must admit I am sporadic on doing my daily pages (journaling) but I do enjoy them.
Hopefully I can use this to untap some of my blocked creativity.
Martin
Jan 16, 2010 Martin is currently reading it
In the process of going through this recovery type program. Even if you're not an "artist" this is a great process. I'm heading into week #5 and looking forward to what's going to unfold with my life as a result. I will, most likely, use this program for the rest of my life :-)
Rod
Sep 15, 2012 Rod added it
this book was the ladder that took me to a different level in my life. for me, journaling became blogging which has been with me now for 5 years. with the morning pages, i have learned to exercise the ghosts, wrap the wounds, and put a poultice on the festers.
Lisa
Jan 23, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I continue to read this book as well as Cameron's later books "Walking In the World", and "Finding Water", recently released as a hardbound book with all three volumes. A wonderful companion book for artists of all types about creativity as a spiritual journey...
Kati
Feb 01, 2012 Kati rated it really liked it
I am glad to have read and worked with this book. It didn't change my life but it might have helped set me on a good path. It certainly has helped me clarify my intentions. And I use affirmations a lot more now. All in all, a very positive time.
Janet Roberts
Apr 24, 2012 Janet Roberts rated it it was amazing
I read this book, and did all the exercises and tasks, including the Morning Pages. I also went to London, England to attend a Workshop run by Julia.
If you want to get your creative juices running, and are prepared to put in the work, this is the book for you
Steven J.
Apr 05, 2011 Steven J. rated it it was amazing
If you have ever even thought about writing or about expressing your artistic streak, then you NEED this book! I did not realize how much my "inner critic" was keeping me from expressing myself until I read Julia Cameron.
F.j.commelin
Jan 04, 2015 F.j.commelin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-practice
With a group of others i read the first book of this trilogy and enjoyed the exercises.
When i discovered there was even this trilogy i bought it.
I still do the day-pages-writing.
A great means to focus.
Staci
Oct 10, 2009 Staci rated it liked it
After a while I started ignoring the tasks and just read for help for the different problems artists face. There is a lot of personal/anectdotal material and things are repeated throughout the three books but the overall messages are necessary in order to "keep on keeping on."
Vivian
Jul 18, 2012 Vivian rated it it was amazing
I have never found a better book. If you are looking at finding a book that pertains to self improvement this is the book. It requires a lot of work and a lot of journalling but if you really need help getting through life this may be the book for you.
  • Make Your Creative Dreams Real: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, and People Who Would Really Rather Sleep All Day
  • Everyday Sacred: A Woman's Journey Home
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • The Artist's Way at Work: Riding the Dragon
  • Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • The Woman's Comfort Book
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • Creative Time and Space: Making Room for Making Art
  • Messy Thrilling Life: The Art of Figuring Out How to Live
  • Coaching the Artist Within: Advice for Writers, Actors, Visual Artists, and Musicians from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life
  • The Book of Signs
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder
Julia Cameron has been an active artist for more than thirty years, with fifteen books (including bestsellers The Artist's Way, Walking In This World and The Right to Write) and countless television, film, and theater scripts to her credit. Writing since the age of 18, Cameron has a long list of screenplay and teleplay credits to her name, including an episode of Miami Vice, and Elvis and the Beau ...more
More about Julia Cameron...