A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries #1)

A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  59 reviews
It’s summer in St. Louis and Mercy Watts is on vacation from her parents. The great detective and his nosy wife are on a cruise and Mercy thinks she’s off the hook for doing
any investigating for them. But when a family friend has a fatal heart attack, Dad has one of his famous feelings and orders Mercy to look into it. Mercy tries not to get sucked in. She really does, bu...more
Published May 26th 2013

To ask other readers questions about A Good Man Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Man Gone

Bill Thibadeau
When I used to want a fun and quick read with interesting characters, I used to reach for Janet Evanovich (please - no snickers). However, those books became too predictable and lost their appeal. But now, I have the Mercy Watts series to go to.

Mercy does not take herself seriously and is entertaining. The author has created a character that understands her physical wiles and is not beyond using them. While this story may not be high brow or thought provoking, it is enjoyable. A fast pace entert...more
Teresa Rosenberg
I thought the mystery plot-line of this book was actually pretty good. The story was set up in a plausible (or at least, consistent within its own universe) kind of way and unfolded at a fairly even pace.

This book was free, so I should not be surprised by the errors that I found (cue when she meant queue, for just one example--I didn't keep track as I was reading). In fact, there were fewer of this type of mistakes in this book by far than in your average free book, although still enough for me...more
Andrea
Mercy Watts is a sassy nurse, who just happens to look exactly like Marilyn Monroe, and often ends up working as a detective under her father's orders. She really just needs to admit to herself that she loves to play detective, instead of constantly denying it. You can tell that she gets a thrill out of her sleuthing.

Her parents are away on vacation, so she thinks that she can get a break from playing detective, until a family friend drops dead of a supposed myocardial infarction (a.k.a. heart a...more
JoAnne
Books Mom
Thoroughly enjoyable, this cozy mystery will keep you guessing and chuckling all the way to the end. Ms. Hartoin has a way with words that plunges you into the story and makes you feel as if you know each and every character, no matter how small.

Mercy, our heroine, is a nurse and the daughter of a detective. She also has friends and family in the police department, but really doesn't love investigating much of anything despite her father continually tossing cases her way.

When a family friend d...more
Wal.li
Für die Familie
Gerade als Mercys Eltern auf einer Kreuzfahrt sind, stirbt der 55jährige Gavin plötzlich an einem Herzinfarkt. Klar, er hatte gesundheitliche Probleme, aber er war doch auf dem Weg der Besserung. Mercy, die als Krankenschwester bei einer Zeitarbeitsfirma arbeitet, hat ein ungutes Gefühl. Sie überredet einen Bekannten ihres Vaters, sich die Leiche einmal genauer anzuschauen. Der Pathologe tut ihr den Gefallen und endet mit einer richtigen Autopsie, denn Gavin wurde tatsächlich ermo...more
Kathy
Although I enjoyed this mystery, I did not think it ranks up with some of the best I have ever read. In the story, Mercy Watts, a sassy nurse, takes over for her father, a retired police detective turned private investigator, who is initially away on a cruise and returns home mid-way through with a nasty virus that keeps him from working. Mercy learns the husband of a close family friend has died of a heart attack. Initially, mercy’s father is reluctant to believe the man died from a simple hear...more
Cynthia
The story line was interesting, the plot moved along quickly enough and held my attention, and I liked the characters. However, my estimation of the book began a steady decline each time it was mentioned how much Mercy looks like Marilyn Monroe, which is with mind-boggling frequency. It became annoying to the point of distraction. By page 190 I was grumbling about finishing this book but not reading any more of the series. It became comical the ways the author squeezed in comments about Mercy's...more
David Ketelsen
I received this book via the Members Giveaway on Library Thing.

The title of A Good Man Gone refers to Gavin Flouder, a family friend of the Watts family and a business associate of patriarch and former police detective Tommy Watts. Gavin dies of an apparent MI and on a hunch of Tommy's, his daughter Mercy, a dead ringer for Marilyn Monroe, investigates the death---and soon it's ruled a homicide.

This chick-lit mystery by Anne W Hartoin is fast paced and thoroughly enjoyable. The family members an...more
Robyn
A fun mystery that is entertaining enough to make me want to read more. The character reminds me a bit of Stephanie Plum in the earliest stories. Some of the details are parceled out slowly throughout the story, which I find a good technique that keeps me turning the page. I am assuming we will learn more about the secondary characters in future installments, or perhaps the author has shared these details in previous stories. The actual mystery is secondary to character development, and I was mo...more
Jan
When a long time family friend dies unexpectedly people become suspicious that the reported cause of death Mercy is asked to help investigate.

I like the way this author creates characters. They seem to be real people and not stereotypes. I found it easy to connect with the majority of the characters and I got a sense of who they were.

There were many surprises in the book but one incident was too predictable. But even this one particular event did have surprising outcome.

I enjoyed the book and c...more
D
Finally A.W Hartoin has done a full length Mercy Watts story and a thoroughly enjoyable one it is! It is a nice mystery, combined with humor and loveable characters. I can't wait until the next one.
Teena
Definitely enjoyed the book. A little much about her Marilyn looks, but overall entertaining mystery and crime novel. Would likely read another one
Jenn S.
This is one of those books you curl up in the comfy reading place, be it a rocker or a window ledge or your bed, and enjoy the whole reading experience. The writing is well done and nicely edited with lovely characters brought to life with a nice layered method. The plot is enjoyable and moves along at a nice even pace. Overall this is a nice book that's enjoyable and entertaining. I received an evaluation copy from the author in exchange for an honest opinion and review. In no way has this infl...more
Suzy
I received this ebook as a LibraryThing Member Giveaway and I'm so glad I did because I absolutely loved it! Not only was it a murder mystery that kept me guessing, but the banter between characters kept me laughing out loud!

I found Mercy Watts a very likeable character and her family and friends were all interesting and wonderful. They rounded out the plot and I loved how unique some of them were...like The Girls. I found it easy to visualize them and some parts were so funny that I had to read...more
Andrea Guy
Don't judge this book by its cover. This is a fabulous mystery and Mercy Watts is the kind of heroine you have to love. She's a sexier, smarter version of Stephanie Plum. (And well, her cars don't get blown up)

Her dad's a former cop and a PI and she is a nurse/assistant that's dating a doctor.

For a reasonably short novel (a little over 200 pages) the mystery is pretty complex. In fact, there are two murders to be solved, a bride killed on her wedding day and Gavin, the family friend whose seemi...more
Marti
This was a rather good book, but I DID get tired of Mercy Watts bragging about how she and her mother were so good looking that they had people staring at them, and how she looked so much like Marilyn Monroe--only better--since she was taller and curvier. She works as a part time nurse when she isn't investigating. Her mother and private investigator father, formerly police detective, are off on a cruise when the story begins. The good man gone is her father's best friend.
Jaiw
Mercy Watts might look like Marilyn Monroe but don’t hold that against her. She’s a competent nurse, a loving daughter and a reluctant sleuth assisted by an eclectic assortment of characters from the prim neighbors to the disheveled and hair-netted Aaron. Why did a good man and family friend, who was finally looking after his health, die from an apparent heart attach? It’s a good story and you’ll want to see more of these intriguing characters.
Noel
This is my first time reading an A.W. Hartoin book and I very much enjoyed every second of it. I love cozy mysteries and this one ranks at the top of my list of good reads. I was engaged with the story and characters throughout - and these characters; fun, quirky, endearing and memorable. How cool to have the main character be a "Marilyn" look alike! Nice job on the characters A.W.! Without a doubt, I will be putting more of this author's books on my reading list.
cindy brody
No plot

mercy is stuck on herself she thinks every man should drool over her she us so beautiful. there is no plot or story line and she can't stop complaining about having to help her dad. it might be interesting if she thought of anything but how everyone thinks she is snoop beautiful.
Maggie Thom
3.5/5 A Good Man Gone is a good read. The mystery is quite intriguing and interesting as are many of the people you meet. A family friend dies supposedly of natural causes but Mercy, with a push from her father, does some investigating and determines that the man didn't die of natural causes. You meet a lot of characters in this story and Mercy's extended but rather different family. Mercy herself is a bit of a different character, frequently referred to as looking like Marilyn Monroe. It often...more
Lonnie
I got this as a free ebook and thought I'd give it a try. And I have to admit I was laughing so much, it was hard to catch my breath at times. However, I gave it only 3 stars because the foul language used by the characters were a real turn off for me...otherwise it would have been a great story!
Amy Gurinian ostberg
Love the main character, however a little too many people to follow and remember whose who. I will read the next one as I did like the way it was written, sarcasm and humorous and one of the few mysteries that I didn't know who did it until the very end.
Ann Perez
Good story!

I liked the characters,I could easily picture them. It was quirky and funny at times and kept the suspense going until the end. Mercy was someone I could relate to. I look forward to reading more of her adventures.
Diane
I found this book tedious to read. While I appreciate the humor used in the story, I found the use of Mercy's apparent beauty to manipulate men has set the women's movement back years. And I am not a so called "feminist". The plot was not well defined and the use of dialog was overdone.
Sharon Morris Marks
This is a very funny book. The characters are interesting, and the writing is easy to follow. I highly recommend this series. Mercy Watts is a nurse who follows in her detective Dad's footsteps to solve the murder of a family friend.
Mary Martin
An amusing mystery.....some realistic characters, although I didn't feel Mercy was one of them, so very hooked on herself and her ability to use her sex to get information. This is more of a 2.5 for me.
Colleen Ray
This isn't a bad mystery, though I knew who the murderer was as soon as the character was introduced. It's amusing and entertaining, but I got REALLY tired of the constant chatter about how beautiful and alluring the main character is.
Marilyn
Good

Good

this mystery was very busy between the murders and the crime scene.the different relationships and the many characters involved the ending was a surprise.
Jill Marron
Makes me want to read more books in the series.

great for summer reading. laughed out loud a few times. moves quickly.
mercy, her family and friends are fun to get to know.
Cozy Mysteries : Free for Review-A Good Man Gone 1 12 Jun 04, 2013 03:31PM
  • Deadly Arrangements (The Flower Shop Mystery Series, #2)
  • Good, Clean, Murder (The Plain Jane Mysteries, #1)
  • New Math is Murder
  • Just Add Water (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #1)
  • Above the Bridge
  • Pretty, Hip & Dead (Agnes Barton/Kimberly Steele Mystery #1)
  • Death Comes to Town (A Darcy Sweet Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Death Comes eCalling
  • Innocent in Las Vegas (Tiffany Black Mytseries #1)
  • Cliffhanger (The Belinda & Bennett Mysteries, #1)
  • Maui Widow Waltz
  • Skewed
  • Dying To Get Published (Jennifer Marsh Mysteries, #1)
  • All Roads Lead Home (Bellingwood, #1)
  • Magic Mirror (Georgia Lee Maxwell, #1)
  • The Journal (Jack O'Neill Mystery, #2)
  • Who, What, Where, When, Die (Avery Shaw, #1)
  • Murder In The Library (Book 3 Dekker Cozy Mystery Series)
A.W.Hartoin is the author of Middle Grade and Young Adult fiction. Away From Whipplethorn is her first published work. A.W. can't remember a time when she didn't love reading. The first book she read over and over again was Harry and the Lady Next Door. He was such a bad dog. Anne of Green Gables was the first time she wanted to enter a world and stay there. As an adult she read almost everything...more
More about A.W. Hartoin...
Coke with a Twist (A Mercy Watts short story) Diver Down (Mercy Watts Mysteries #2) It Started with a Whisper Touch and Go  (A Mercy Watts Short Story) A Fairy's Guide to Disaster (Away From Whipplethorn, #1)

“in when somebody was short a nurse. I didn’t love being a nurse, but I liked it. Which was” 0 likes
“any ER was way too much. I was sick to death of drunk-driving accidents and ear infections.” 0 likes