Uptown Girl

Uptown Girl

2.57 of 5 stars 2.57  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Emma Hastings has it all - a successful career as a fashion model, a flat in Kensington and now she may have even found her leading man, the wealthy and charming Jason Rothschild who ticks all the right boxes.

Her days are filled with photo shoots and shopping trips. Her evenings are spent at dinners and glamorous launch parties.

She is seemingly living the dream.

But dreams...more
Published May 23rd 2013 by Endeavour Press Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Uptown Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uptown Girl

Melanie Surani
I don't like to write a bad review, especially for one of my fellow indies. This novella -- Uptown Girl by Holly Kinsella -- got me going, though. Emma is rich. She's a fashion model. A gorgeous, rich guy has a crush on her. Everything is perfect, and she's also kind of a bitch.

The story is basically this: Emma's car breaks down, so she takes it to a mechanic her dad recommends. That SOB mechanic wouldn't do a rush job on her car because he'd given his word to fix other people's first. I mean,...more
Carina
Have you ever read a book where you feel someone thought "hey I know what'll make a good story" but they have no idea what actually makes a story a story? That is the feel I got from this.

You have all the elements of a typical chick-lit, girl likes the wrong guy, dislikes the right guy, you have the steadfast friend and the knife-in-the-back friend - you have the requisite fashion comments and snide remarks. But in this book you only really recognise them because they are the elements found in...more
Natalie aka: PajamaBookGirl
So, you know me well enough by now to understand my way of reviewing and thinking with books. I will always, always give a book the benefit of the doubt if it starts off bad. This is what I did with Uptown Girl. Will I ever get the hour or so back it took me to read this pretentious ghastly book? no I won't.

I was more than appalled at references throughout and to be fair it put me right off and I couldn't dismiss that. I'm extremely sorry darling readers, but I have actually found a book I seri...more
Beth
E-galley received for review.

A rich London fashion model with boy problems may sound like a tough sell, but the author pulls it off brilliantly in this novella!

This light, fluffy, yet heartfelt romantic comedy feels like the missing London Sex and the City cousin. It is well written with an insightful, intelligent style. The characters, while one may not want to meet them in real life, are believable and quite well developed for such a brief work.

As a bonus, it is also short enough to read in a...more
Elizabeth_agd
Jul 26, 2013 Elizabeth_agd rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Endeavour Press Book Review
I felt this book was written very formally. The expression "whilst" was quite over used to the point that I started to cringe whenever I read it.

Emily is beautiful with legs to heaven and blonde hair. She works as a model and dates wealthy, good looking and self-centered men. With too much money and time she fuddles through life worrying about frivolous matters that I was not able to relate to at all. It was a shallow book and then tried to twist it around by a brief few encounters with one cha...more
Louise
Found on my kindle, presumably I downloaded it because it was free. At least , I hope I didnt actually pay for it! Awful main character, badly written and predictable story, only kept reading because it was so short.
Katherine
What has Emma Hastings got? What any girl would dream, beauty, a loving family, wealth, friends, men chasing after her. Yet, a chance encounter causes her world to slowly but surely change. Her life of fashion modelling, mulberry handbags, flash men and all things screaming money is hollow. Can Emma bring meaning back into her shallow life again and secure happiness? Sparky, witty and well written, I couldn’t put this smart read down. In terms of criticisms though novella could have used a sub-p...more
Liz Balaam
I only downloaded this because it was free at the time. It is not very long - only 85 pages, so it did not take long to read. If you are looking for a book to really get stuck into - then this is not the one! The storyline is sweet, but the grammar is terrible and the editing of the book is atrocious. It only took me half an hour to read and just as you are getting into it, it ends. I probably won't buy any more books by this author. I am sorry to say I did find it a bit "mindless".
Angel **Book Junkie**
This book was just plain Awful. I think I am going to take a break from short stories because I have not found one that I can get into in a while. This book was about a B**** who was rich who fell in love with her mechanic. That is it! Point taken. Nothing more. I want my hour back!
Amy
I have to say I was unsure of this book when I started reading it - Emma Hastings, the protagonist, is not someone you warm to immediately! But as the story progressed, and her character developed she grew on me. The love story was very sweet and it has a lovely romantic ending.
Donna Maguire
A nice and pleasant read, the ending was a bit predictable but it didn't detract from the story and I would look for other books by the same author.
Lisa
Aug 23, 2013 Lisa rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
I just couldn't get into this book. I never warmed to the main character, I couldn't stand her love interest, and the plot was weak at best.
Kat
Not everything evolves with money. Very lite story and I somewhat believe that this is what happy endings must be.
Lorraine
A quick easy to read light romance.
Lisa Williams
Lisa Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Dina G
Dina G marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Angela
Angela added it
Jul 31, 2014
C.
C. marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Latisha Bramlett
Latisha Bramlett marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Julie-Ann Amos
Julie-Ann Amos marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
María Valdecarros
María Valdecarros marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Rafaela Freitas
Rafaela Freitas marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Debbie Karimullah
Debbie Karimullah marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014