Start by marking “Earthlight” as Want to Read:
Earthlight

Earthlight

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,616 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
The time: 200 years after man's first landing on the Moon. There are permanent populations established on the Moon, Venus and Mars. Outer space inhabitants have formed a new political entity, the Federation, and between the Federation and Earth a growing rivalry has developed. EARTHLIGHT is the story of this emerging conflict.
Published November 2012 by RosettaBooks (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Earthlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthlight

Teresa
Feb 05, 2012 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
By modern standards this is a very slim novel, only 158 pages in total. First published in 1955 in many ways the ideas are dated. They reflect the times in which they were written. Set two hundred years into the future a computer needs to be fed punched tape in order to work and scientists have to wait for the developing fluid to dry before they can see the photographic images taken by their telescopes. Those scientists are all male, the few women working with them are glorified clerks.

In many o
Regie
Mar 23, 2013 Regie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The age of this book, like do much vintage SF, is revealed by its somewhat naive attitude to technology (the characters are using extrapolations of fifties tech, rather than the sort of stuff we actually are using in the future - an unavoidable issue which never the less gives the narrative a rather quaint feel) and by the social attitudes on display. These things don't matter and are quickly tuned out.

The narrative takes place on the Moon, in a not terribly far future where humanity has spread
Jared
Jun 12, 2008 Jared rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As per usual, Clarke has interesting ideas and a book as exciting as bending cardboard.
David Roberts
Dec 30, 2013 David Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing the hard science fiction novel Earthlight by Arthur C Clarke which is an excellent novel which I bought from kindle. This novel was written in 1955 at a time when little was known about the Moon's surface and in particularly people thought there was deep sand when actually very little erosion takes place as there is no atmosphere and no wind. In fact the astronaut's footprints on the Moon will remain for thousands of years. This theme was also visited in the novel A Fall Of Moondu ...more
nick
Sep 19, 2015 nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not know this author until I found and bought this book dirtcheap at a fleamarket and looked him up after I bought it so I was pretty surprised to learn he is considered the father of modern science fiction.

First off I have to admit that I am surprised how well this book holds up for being more then 60 years old. The futuristic society does not feel like an outdated view on the matter. That has to be from the fact that the author envisioned things deemed insane at his time like moon explor
Ravenna
Dec 26, 2008 Ravenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Space is big, and life is small.

A. C. Clarke not only has deep insights into human nature, and to what science can become, but also a natural and poetic way of writing. Such beautiful prose, such lovely ideas!

This book I've dubbed "Mystery and Intrigue ... In Space", and it follows in the grand tradition of "___ In Space" (see the Mars trilogy for an example of "Cowboys in Space"). None the less SciFi for also being sort of James Bond. A must-read for lovers of classic SF.
Jenna
Jul 14, 2014 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Sandler Bertram, learned that the concept of the heavy metals on the Moon discovered will advance a war amidst the Earth, and the younger colonies Mars and Venus.

He was purposely sent to the observatory as an accountant to inspect a group of scientist on the Moon. Bertram was looking forward to attain on who was posting data to the hidden warship in outer space that can create a colossal conflict between the Earth, and its colonies.
Matteo Pellegrini

Questo affascinante racconto scritto da uno dei migliori e più noti autori di fantascienza si svolge tutto sulla Luna, in un'epoca - tra due secoli - nella quale i viaggi spaziali avranno superato il primo stadio, e già l'uomo avrà fondato le sue colonie sui pianeti del Sistema Solare. Come ora fra le nazioni della Terra, così domani fra la Terra e la Federazione dei pianeti si verranno inevitabilmente a creare situazioni passibili di sfociare in un conflitto armato. Ombre sulla Luna ci narra a

Ippino
Jun 26, 2014 Ippino rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
Primo romanzo che leggo di Clarke; per il prossimo passerà senz'altro un bel pò di tempo.
A prescindere da alcune ovvie ingenuità tecniche, il libro risulta noioso, dallo svolgimento sconclusionato, con punti di vista che cambiano a caso e personaggi appena abbozzati, compreso il protagonista.
L'idea di base è buona e sicuramente, all'epoca della sua uscita, originale, ma è proprio il modo di scrivere di Clarke che è pessimo. Altri romanzi sono invecchiati sicuramente meglio.
Le riflessioni che si
Ashley
Dec 06, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur C. Clarke, you've actually redeemed yourself somewhat with this book. After Childhood's End, I was done with you but then I found this book for $.75 at a secondhand bookstore.

Did I love it? No, it's a solid work of science fiction. World-building is a strength. Creating tension and memorable characters, however, are not strong. I didn't hate the protagonist, Sandler Bertram, but I don't find him compelling. Do I hate it? No. Again the world building prose made me think on how I could do i
Thoraiya
Apr 16, 2015 Thoraiya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May be the slowest-moving novel (novella?) ever, but the mystery was set up cleverly and early so that I had to read to the end to find out if my guesses were right. There were many lengthy descriptions of the phases of the earth and the mountainscapes of the moon along the way. I did appreciate the scientific rigor and find myself immersed despite the pauses for loving infodumps regarding computers that, 200 years into the future, still had girls feeding them tapes.

Oh, and the dust falling with
Derek Davis
Monumentally boring in a short space.
George
Mar 14, 2015 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
"Το σύνδρομο της Σελήνης", εκδόσεις Λυχνάρι

Πρόκειται για το σχετικά γνωστό Earthlight, που κυκλοφόρησε και ως Γαιοφώς από τις εκδόσεις Κάκτος. Και δεν ξέρω πως θα σας φανεί, αλλά είναι μόλις το δεύτερο βιβλίο του Άρθουρ Κλαρκ που διαβάζω. Το 2009 ήταν που είχα διαβάσει τους Επικυρίαρχους και από τότε δεν έτυχε να διαβάσω ούτε μια αράδα του! Όμως σιγά-σιγά θα επανορθώσω. Ποιος βιάζετε άλλωστε;

Η ιστορία έχει να κάνει με μια διαμάχη ανάμεσα στη Γη και την Ομοσπονδία των Πλανητών, το κέντρο της οπο
J
Apr 02, 2013 J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2013
At the core of this piece, is a metaphor for greed, political angst, and the strife of those individuals caught up in the turmoil of important political and historical events. The story is set on the moon and involves the efforts of a man working as a counter-intelligence operative in the guise of an accountant. His task, to pinpoint the source of an information leak, is greatly overshadowed by the mounting tension that rises as the two dominant divisions of mankind squabble over resources. The ...more
Raja99
Why I Reread This Book: Partly because it acted as "comfort reading" during an extended crunch at work, partly because we were watching the documentary series When We Left Earth and I was reminded of Apollo 15--later editions of this book were dedicated to the astronauts, who named a crater after this book and who (IIRC) walked near the areas depicted.

I think I first read this book about thirty years ago. It didn't make much of an impression on me then--about all I remembered was one of the spec
Bad-at-reading
I read this a long, long time ago, and while it largely bored me, certain traits and moments stuck in my head. I believe this is the book where Clarke terms humankind a "paper-wasting animal", an observation that's become less applicable, even ironic, in the computer age, but the pithiness of it in its time still hits home. A complex way to end up feeling about a mere quip.

I also remember the ending, a space rescue mission, being quite exciting, especially compared to the rest of the story, and
Isabel Jazmín
Jan 30, 2016 Isabel Jazmín rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur C. Clarke es uno de mis autores favoritos y en esta novela de espías en la Luna no me defraudó.

Me gustó mucho Bertram es una persona común y corriente enfrentada a una situación difícil: defender a la Tierra sin poder decir ni hacer mucho de manera obvia, no puede contarle ni siquiera a su esposa de qué se trata realmente su misión y debe obtener información haciendo preguntas que no sean tan evidentes.
Andrew Walls
An entertaining look at the perspective of the 1950's when it comes to the future. Whiz bang technology, but no change to socially defined gender roles, manly behavior (sneaking a cigarette break on a spaceship?). The plot line is minimal and primarily serves as a framework for exposition of technology and micro-gravity phenomenology. That being said, Clarke is always worth a read!
Julie
Apr 17, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short but revealing novel which would have been ahead of its time when first written. It is still engaging and is good for a light read between books. Set in the future where the moon and Mars are colonized by earth, the conflict that arises is in the nature of a civil war. Interesting concept, not beyond the realm of possibility..perhaps........?
Lisa (Harmonybites)
In this early novel by Clarke, Bertram Sadler, a CIA operative, is sent to the Moon to investigate a suspected spy and prevent an interplanetary war. It's a short novel at 158 pages and straightforward plot, with imaginative descriptions of life on the moon, some of which still seem visionary, and some ludicrously dated. Punch card computers! Photographic film! Typewriters! It was published in 1955, well before the first unmanned probes explored the moon, let alone manned landings. Still enjoyab ...more
Jackson
Oct 05, 2015 Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start but comes together at the end with a very unique space battle.

The wrong predictions are interesting in their own right (plant life on the moon (!), still using paper print-outs from computers) but for 1955 its pretty impressive as expected from Clarke.

3.5 stars.
Frentzen1989
Sep 24, 2015 Frentzen1989 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very much like all of Clarke's work, slow paced at first, and before you know it you're hooked.
An entertaining read, an interesting and plausible scenario and a decent conclusion.
Mark Hodder
I don't mind dated science but the POV too often skips from one character to another, so I never felt attached to anyone, and, as a result, I found the novel rather dull.
Dana
Mar 03, 2015 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing and well written. I really enjoyed this one. The plot is weighty enough to draw you in but not drawn out. The descriptions of the space colony are very stylish.
Joseph Moniz
Alex Robinson
Some interesting ideas but not as epic as Clarke's more famous works. It is amazing to consider it was written a decade before humans landed on the moon.
Peter Apps
Jul 13, 2012 Peter Apps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The science is dated now but the basic idea of national, international or, in this case, interplanetary jealousy still holds good.

Written well before the Apollo moon landings, everyone then assumed that we'd have lunar colonies by now. We haven't, so A. C. Clarke's idea of a moon base is just as valid now as it was then. It's the lack of computers and digital photography that shows it's fifties origins.

It's a story that could be easily be updated. Without alien monsters, zombies or a group of pe
Scott
Jun 03, 2015 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The three books in the Space trilogy have nothing to do with each other except that they all take place in space. This was a good concluding story and I say that only because it was #3 in the series.
Patrick Dewind
Sep 04, 2014 Patrick Dewind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would have been three stars if it wasn't for the glorious space battle.
  • The Early Asimov: Book Two
  • The Werewolf Principle
  • Mission To The Stars
  • Star Trek 1
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • Shield
  • The World of Star Trek
  • Who?
  • Voyagers III: Star Brothers (Voyagers, #3)
  • The Genesis Machine
  • The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure
  • The Eyes of Heisenberg
  • Worlds (Worlds, #1)
  • Cosm
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...

“Don't forget, as you enjoy your mild spring days and peaceful summer evenings, how lucky you are to live in the temperate region of the Solar System, where the air never freezes and the rocks never melt... Earthlight by Arthur C. Clarke” 3 likes