Start by marking “The Complete Illustrated Works of Lewis Carroll” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Complete Illustrat...

Lewis Carroll

The Complete Illustrated Works of Lewis Carroll

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  2,433 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Everything that Lewis Carroll ever published in book form appears in this volume. Included are: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass, Sylvie and Bruno, Sylvie and Bruno Concluded, "The Hunting of the Snark," and Lewis' poetry, phantasmagoria, stories, miscellany, and "acrostics, inscriptions, and other verse."

The following have also never appeared in
hardback, 868 pages
Published 1982 by Avenel Books (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Illustrated Works of Lewis Carroll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Illustrated Works of Lewis Carroll

Joshlynn
Nov 29, 2010 Joshlynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume will stay with me for my entire life. It was the first "grown-up" book I ever received -- as a gift from a stranger whose name escapes me. Whoever it was, they changed my life. Stepping into Carroll's world opened my mind to the possibilities of the human imagination, the concept of math as art, and interested me in the man behind the genius.
K.D.
Jan 03, 2008 K.D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has turned into one of my, "at home" books; I dare you to take it into public. It's like bound spontaneous laughter.

"Well, now that we have seen each other," said the Unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you. Is that a bargain?"
Sharyl
Jun 07, 2015 Sharyl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations? I agree--especially conversations. And the conversations in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are some of the most famously fabulous confabulations. (Don't mind me, I just like how that word sounds). These pictures, by illustrator John Tenniel, were very important to Lewis Carroll and his story.

It's been many years since I've read these stories, and I am surprised to find them both profound and hilarious. (
Courtney
8) Three Sunsets and Other Poems
Sofia
Nov 02, 2014 Sofia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I have very mixed reviews of this one book. Complete collections of Lewis Carroll, and I now understand why Alice in Wonderland, followed by Through the Looking Glass, are his best known works. I suppose I shouldn't say I "completed" this book, because after Sylvie and Bruno I just couldn't take it. Baby talk. I cannot STAND baby talk in real life, and reading it (even coming from a small child), is more than I can take. For example, here's the sort of excerpt that makes me fly on in an angry ra ...more
A
Nov 11, 2008 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys the work of Lewis Carroll
I consider the "Alice" books and Carroll's nonsense poems some of the greatest works in the English language. Viewing the full scope of his work in this hefty tome, it's difficult to say everything else reaches the same level, which is why I dock a star. The "Sylvie & Bruno" novels are interesting, more adult versions of his surreal fantasy with overt nods to fairy lore, but they oddly suffer from moralism and sentimentality. His early poetry is strikingly very Victorian and not always bad, ...more
Alexis Fedor
Jan 06, 2013 Alexis Fedor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, who hasn't read these stories all the way through, I find my imagination stimulated with each short sitting.
Mira Tabsh
Jul 09, 2016 Mira Tabsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book just for Alice in Wonderland. It's a must read, and Alice is the backbone of so many songs and other stories.
The lines are hilarious...Lewis Carroll is a genious.
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
This review will be sort of split up by section, since there's a wide variety of material in this book.

The book starts out with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Of course, this story is simply delightful. I'd read it before, and it's what made me figure I'd enjoy Carroll's complete works. It has just the right amount of nonsense, and the characters are simply delightful. And this is one of those books that was adapted to film so well that having seen the movie actually increases my enjoyment of
Beth
Sep 05, 2016 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's probably a reason you're not really familiar with the other works of Lewis Carroll beyond Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Certainly those two were the easiest reads in this book. My biggest problem with the two of them, is that Alice is a truly obnoxious child. Her actions and reactions to her adventures vary between totally bland to utterly rude. This was my first time reading the Alice stories, and I did enjoy finding the little bits I know from movies and plays, and ...more
Angela
Mar 28, 2015 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up watching Disney's animated "Alice in Wonderland." I have always loved it but never read the books it was taken from. So I decided it was about time. I was actually a little disappointed. The first book "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" started out quite boring with very little in-depth description. The fantasy was there but it was not really built up. About half-way through it started to get a little better. The second book, "Through the Looking-Glass," was much better than the first, ...more
Nathan
Jan 05, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking-Glass" is better than any movie interpretation I have ever seen to date. American McGee's "Alice" video-game comes close, but that has a different take on the whole thing of course.

However entertaining the "Alice" books were, it was the "Sylvie & Bruno" stories that stole my heart. Those were written for both children as well as adults, and it shows - they capture the touching profundity that every other conversation with a child seems t
Michael Palmer
Feb 05, 2012 Michael Palmer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
The Compete Lewis Carroll is one of a very short list of books I've begun and couldn't get myself to finish. I derived no enjoyment from the book at a certain point and that is where I stopped (Sylvie and Bruno chapter 7). I realized for the last few chapters I had been wondering to myself "how much longer until this is book is done?!". When reading feels like an obligation and chore the book will always be shelved.

The Alice stories weren't terrible and themselves would have likely received a 2
Marian
May 20, 2016 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While not the "complete Complete," this edition is still pretty awesome if you're a fan of Carroll's writings. It includes the major lesser-known works: Sylvie and Bruno, Sylvie and Bruno Concluded, A Tangled Tale, Phantasmagoria, and The Hunting of the Snark. It also has a lot of his poetry and other small publications, fiction and non-fiction. Of the short fiction, I was particularly glad to see "Wilhelm von Schmitz" and "A Photographer's Day Out," which are hard to find.

So far, the only lack
Justin Anthony
I bought this book solely for Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and stopped reading after Through the Looking Glass although I may pick it up later on.

Reading this book makes me wonder how it would be interpreted by someone reading it 100 years ago and if it would have been as strange then as it is today. Carroll is a very imaginative writer and has so many characters that come from all over it really is fun to read is stories.

Reading Carroll’s writing made me think a little of
Pardis Parto
Sep 26, 2015 Pardis Parto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) is famed for his magical stories, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, here illustrated throughout the inner pages by Sir John Tenniel's much loved drawings. However, inspired by the insatiable Victorian appetite for party games, tricks and conundrums, this eccentric and polymathical Englishman also wrote many other works of a humorous, witty, whimsical and nonsensical nature such as the mock-heroic nonsense verse The Hunting of the Snark, a ...more
LauraT
Dec 14, 2010 LauraT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Capisco che per tollerare tutto questo nonsense bisogni essere abbastanza "slegati", come in effetti mi sento io.
Ma, anche in relativamente poche pagine, Carrol riesce a mettere un'intera esplosione di fuochi d'artificio verbali che, ogni volta che lo si apre, si scopre qualche nuova frase o spunto che ti era sfuggito magari solo un mese prima.
Cosa mi ha colpito di più? Adesso, l'irriverenza contro il potere, il far vedere quanto siano piccole le prepotenze di chi ci sta teoricamente sopra e q
Susie
Feb 26, 2010 Susie rated it really liked it
This book was really good. It was good to read the actual Alice books. I liked Through the Looking Glass better because of it's chess theme. I was familiar with The Hunting of the Snark (through the musical) so that was an interesting read as well. Then came some logic and mathematical puzzles most of which I didn't work out, but were still kind of fun. The book also contained some blah blah blah boring poems.

My favorite part of the book was reading Sylvie and Bruno, a fabulous tale of fairies a
Colin
Apr 03, 2010 Colin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk-food-lit
Meh. Lewis Carroll has never really been my idea of a good time, and I wondered if reading the complete works would change my mind. It hasn't. I can acknowledge the quality of his prose, the cleverness of some of his verse, but on the whole the subject matter treated and the way in which it is treated don't interest me much. Incidentally, lest I be thought a slave to fashion, I would like to point out that when I undertook to read the complete works of Lewis Carroll I was unaware of the big-budg ...more
Thuraya
Apr 20, 2010 Thuraya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone looking for a little nostalgia or just brushing up on the classics. And mothers.
Recommended to Thuraya by: It's the selected April 2010 Book for The Richmond Book Club.
Shelves: book-club-books
(at page 114)- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I've just finished reading "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" which is the book being discussed at The Richmond Bookclub this month (April 2010). All I knew of this story was the Disney movie version and was excited to read the original tale.

There's no doubt that Lewis Carroll is a writer of wit and imagination--and I respect Alice's place within the realm of "The Classics"--but I found myself at times weary of its absurd and repetitive nature. And
Lorena
I have to admit that I only read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass -- I tried to read the rest but sadly they didn't hold my interest as much as the two I picked the book up for in the first place.

I wanted to reread them for purposes involving work, so I was reading them with a particular slant and an eye towards mentions of fragrances, but I kept getting sidetracked with the logic puzzles and the fun poetry and the general amazing imagery that grabbed me as a child and has neve
Keith
Jan 03, 2014 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partial-read
This is a nice volume containing all of Lewis Carroll's works, including the accompanying artwork. I've done a number of reviews of other editions of Carroll's nonsense books.

The Hunting of the Snark ***** One of my favorite books. See my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Phantasmagoria *** This includes a couple fantastic poems, but it's not as good or as consistent as THe Hunting of the Snark or the Alice books. See my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Cody Scott
Nov 05, 2015 Cody Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully made book has all the Lewis Carroll works in them making it a book I will keep on my "Favorite" shelf at home for life.

Reading though this book is so easy and a great revisit to his popular works but also a great setup and introduction to his lesser known works. Once you start this book, it is very hard to put down. Near the end when you get to the logic puzzles, you will feel like you are thinking like Mr. Carroll.

I defiantly recommend this to anyone looking to read Lewis Carro
Kitty
Jan 20, 2008 Kitty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this in a bookstore in Myrtle Beach and was ecstatic. It had "The Hunting of the Snark", which I h ad heard of, but never read, and the Sylvie and Bruno books, which I had never even heard about, with a other stuff that was all bonus.

Sylvie and Bruno are nothing like Alice. They are, frankly, very sweet.

I particularly dug the Sillygisms after I had taken Logic in college, five years later.

I have had to buy a second copy and it is pretty beat up, but I'm not willing for it to be absent fr
St-Michel
Jan 28, 2008 St-Michel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1998, own
Lewis Carroll is one of my top three favourite authors of all time and this is indeed the greatest collection of his works. It has everything and then some plus MORE!!!!!
I've always loved the tales of Alice and the Looking Glass, but to me, they're nothing compared to the charming wit lashed out from every corner throughout Sylvie and Bruno. Plus all the acrostics, poetry, letters, mathematical devices and clever word problems - they are all such a delight.
Everything in here just says one thing:
Meirav Rath
Jul 06, 2008 Meirav Rath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pedophiles...
Shelves: fiction
I gave up in the middle of the Bruno and Sylvie saga. The Alice in Wonderland stories were fun and interesting to read but by the saga the nonsense and the bizzare attraction to young girls who are a symbol of prefection was getting on my nerves. Call me a cold-hearted person but there's only so much strangely-placed nonsese I can tolerate and if there's too much child-adoration and not enough plot I give up.

Don't bother with the whole collection; Alice's stories are quite enough to enjoy Carrol
John Trippel
Dec 22, 2015 John Trippel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable journey through the Looking Glass and into the realm of fiction of the dreams of Lewis Carroll that I am having fun reading. Very enjoyable comic approach towards the British characterization of its former population's ways back in the 1800's. I enjoyed the humorous situations of Alice which are still pondered in todays society and often still quoted as in a friend recently saying "don't drink out of the bottle that says 'drink me' " just to show one how timeless Mr. Carroll's stor ...more
Helena
Jan 17, 2016 Helena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
As per usual, nobody does an original story justice on the big screen. I had spent so long loving to watch the Alice in Wonderland films, that I completely forgot that they had all been adaptations. After reading the rather poetic works from Lewis Carroll, it all made sense. I loved this book. Not only were the illustrations well-planned, but the story was entertaining and taught me a lot about how it was when Lewis Carroll was alive. I recommend this to anyone who's interested in that time peri ...more
Callie
May 03, 2010 Callie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed reading this collection. "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" were amazing, of course. I also really liked "Sylvie and Bruno." All three were imaginative and unique. However, "Sylvie and Bruno Concluded" was not nearly as well done. It seemed like the author simply took the established characters and used them to rant about his own opinions of society and religion. Most of the prose by Carroll is enjoyable, but some of it seemed rather forced. As I said, I like ...more
Nina
Mar 09, 2010 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Truly a wonderful story! Never read anything like it before, the characters are lovely and amusing, it is just wonderfully mad! The poems are lovely!

Through the Looking-Glass & What Alice Found There - Lovely poems and interesting story, don't quite like it as much as I did Wonderland, but perhaps one needs to understand chess to fully understand this story?
  • Stories for Christmas
  • The Complete Illustrated Stories of Hans Christian Andersen
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • The Unabridged Jack London
  • The Lost World & Other Stories
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • The Trimmed Lamp and Other Stories of the Four Million
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • The Canterbury Tales: A Selection
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...