Human Frailties

Human Frailties (Love Has No Boundaries)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  42 reviews

Dear Author,

Darkness has been a part of my life since I can remember.

I never understood why it was so hard for me to be part of the bright world. The Internet couldn’t satisfy my need, so I went to this arcane little book shop. The old hag behind the counter gave me a book, where she said I might find the answers to my questions.

Supp
Published May 26th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

I think this had the potential to be a 4-5 star story with just a little more development. The premise was good, and carried out well. The progression of their relationship in tandem to the story arc, and the bit of drama/betrayal x2 that gave us a little twist (view spoiler)...more
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
As rather interesting read I suppose, but not one that was particularly engrossing or enjoyable. The characters weren't particularly grabbing or loveable (I didn't like Tor till the end) and a rather unbelievable development in romance. Their romance was tinged with a little dub-con (though really, that's just a nicer way of saying rape that isn't brutal and forceful). Mind you, I'm okay with reading dub-con and I can tolerate non-con, however this was a particular sneaky shade of it I didn't li...more
Eli Easton
I'm not normally much of a fantasy reader, but I really enjoyed this story. The writing is smooth and the characters were interesting. I liked the fact that one of the MCs was ruthless initially and was quite the anti-hero. You don't see that often in romance, but Jaye pulled it off. I suspect there will be a sequel and I will be waiting for it.
Sunny
What an amazing story! The world building, the development of the characters and their relationship, it all flowed so smoothly while keeping me riveted until the end. Tor and Ash came alive for me and I love how their actions and banter fit their personalities so consistently. Great combination of humor and suspense, I can't wait to read the sequel.
Bookwatcher
This book is fantastic. So good I got both, this freebie, love it and after read the extended book, with the second part. For a full review look mine review of both parts, 1 and 2.
Melanie~~
Amazing world building! Thanks for an amazing story. I sure hope there is more someday soon!

[NOTE: I rate most writing event stories (free reads) 4 or 5 stars because of my appreciation of the author's participation.]
Julesmarie
This was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the transition from the contemporary to the fantasy settings, it made the fantasy world just that much more interesting for some reason.

I enjoyed Tor's character, and really felt for him and how lonely he was at the start. Experiencing the world he got taken to through his eyes was fun.

I can't help wishing that the leythe were a little better explained. Because it was mentioned with the Void a few times, and because it's similar to Lethe, I kept picturing it as a...more
Matthew
Very interesting concept. I would love to read more of these characters and this world. There was a lot put into this short, free story. A nerd from this world is transported by a wish to another world, where he meets a god stuck in human form who has a history of not caring about humanity. The human is in love at first sight... the god finds that they are annoyingly magically bonded, but takes advantage of the opportunity for good sex that his human body enjoys and craves, only to find himself...more
Tam
May 30, 2013 Tam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy, m-m

I'm only not giving it 5 because there is so much more I want to know. The author promises more to come. I was totally caught up in the story and it's such a nice long one with lots of rich detail. There are also some amazingly funny lines, and Ash is a total dick, who manages to redeem himself. Definitely worth the time it takes to read. Super job on interpreting the picture.
Carole-Ann
I SO wanted to like this: the premise is good, the writing is good......

But I hated Ash. Tor is so alone, puzzled, has a deep strength he doesn't recognise; and loveable!
Ash is arrogant (as he was meant to be) but even when he realised he was actually feeling things for Tor, he didn't DO anything to redeem himself.

Only 90+ pages to read, but it took me 3 DAYS!! Sorry!
Bookbee
Fantasy is not generally a favourite genre for me... BUT... this was FABULOUS! The characters were so well developed and the world building was some of the best I've read! Can't wait for a sequel!
Lia ☠ Black
Excellent first story for a talented emerging writer! Jaye McKenna's world building and memorable characters make this the first book in what I hope will be a long and satisfying series.
Missy Welsh
Simply excellent free short.
Sandra

Riayl
Jun 26, 2013 Riayl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
Gabrielle Morgan
I had no idea what to expect here, with an unknown author and a fantasy element I rarely see done very well in this genre, especially in anything shorter than a full novel. But this was wonderful, and just hit so many of my buttons! I enjoyed the characters quite a bit, and especially loved watching the changes in Ash as the story progressed and he grew to care about Tor. Jaye McKenna accomplished in only 130 pages a rich, vibrant story that left me both deeply satisfied and desperately craving...more
Jamie
I loved this story and I can’t wait to read the sequel. Tor has felt something missing all his life. On his birthday, he’s led by a violet eyed dog to a strange bookshop. The odd woman inside gives him a book to take home. He is entranced by an image he sees there and follows it to another world where he finds Ash. Ash is completely selfish and is being punished. Their story follows. The world is a little hard to understand but I loved the development of Ash. I really want to read how they face...more
Sherry
Andrea
Loved everything about this - characters, story ...everything! A good comfort read with a little angst thrown in.
Rachel
Gotta love a character who is an ass and can redeem himself before the end of the story! I just loved the world building in this. I loved Tor and by the end of the story felt ok with Ash...I really liked him by the end of the story. I definitely could read more about these two in this world, and it seems to set things up for future stories. I hope so, as I really liked the author's writing. Thanks for a wonderful, complex story!
Yvonne
***A LHNB Story***I thought Tor and Ash were interesting characters. Maybe it's just me but I thought some of this was confusing and still couldn't figure out the Leythe by the end. Also I didn't get a sense that Tor would be in love with Ash if not for the bond. That takes away from the romance of the story. I'd love to have been shown some of the reasons for their growing feelings.
Fritz42
This was fantastic. What a wonderful world that was made here. I loved the twists and turns that Tor and Ash's relationship went through as they traveled their journey together. I can only hope that the ending means that we will see more of these two. I know that I want to read more.
 ~♥ Elle ♥~
Totally loved this! I want more more more please. Love the world, love the characters and entertaining dialogue sparring. This made me smile, made me angry and a bit teary at certain points in the story, all of which I have come to associate with a good book. I hope there's a sequel to this.
Scelest
I ate this book as fast as I could in between work and sleep and it was most enjoyable. So much so that I looked to see if Jaye McKenna has written anything else and I was sad to see she has not. I do hope this story has another book I want to read more about Tor and Ash <3
Kerry
Loved it!!!! Excellent world-building. Great, witty dialogue. I can't wait to read the sequel. The story matched perfectly with the picture that it was written for.
Ilona
Another of the free stories for the Love Has No Boundaries event. Yet again a wonderful prompt and an equally wonderful response. The author has taken everything from the prompt and produced a lovely love story that was spiced up with fantasy and suspense.
Gabbo Parra
Jaye took a thought and made it a journey.

The characters are not just believable but lovable (assholeness included). You can put yourself in their shoes and understand their mistakes and feel the redemption as if it was yours.

Highly recommend it!
Meggie
I can't decide between liking or disliking this fantasy. Partly it was an interesting piece of work with the ending of HFN. But mostly I wasn't satisfied with the whole storyline. Something was definitely odd with the whole concept in this story.
Salsera1974
This is really more of a 3.75, only because it wasn't altogether clear why the two MCs fell in love with each other. Nonetheless, this was a great entry for an author who appears to be a new one, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.(less)
Sunne
I'm not a huge fantasy reader any more....and I probably wouldn't have bought it because of that but I would have missed out. It was special, different from the average fantasy and well written.
  • To Steal the Tithe
  • The Practical Guide to Trying Not to Die
  • The Tail of a Dog
  • Synchronicity
  • As He Watches
  • When Karma Comes Knocking...
  • Letting Go
  • The Touch Of Hope
  • The Badass Of His Dreams
  • Nothing's Missing Now
  • Heart in a Bottle
Jaye McKenna was born a Brit and was dragged, kicking and screaming, across the Pond at an age when such vehement protest was doomed to be misinterpreted as a “paddy”. She grew up near a sumac forest in Minnesota and spent most of her teen years torturing her parents with her electric guitar and her dark poetry. She was punk before it was cool and a grown-up long before she was ready. Jaye writes...more
More about Jaye McKenna...
Human Choices Human Frailties, Human Strengths Facing the Mirror Psi Hunter (Guardians of the Pattern, #1) Love Has No Boundaries Anthology: Volume 7