Start by marking “The Angel with One Hundred Wings: A Tale from the Arabian Nights” as Want to Read:
The Angel with One Hundred Wings: A Tale from the Arabian Nights

The Angel with One Hundred Wings: A Tale from the Arabian Nights

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The story opens in the City of Peace, as Baghdad was once called. It is a fabulously wealthy city, receiving tribute from an empire that stretches from modern day Afghanistan to Spain. Abulhassan Ibn Thaher is an old pharmacist and alchemist who is an intimate friend of the Sultan. When the young prince of Persia falls in love with Schemselnihar, the Sultan's beloved mistr ...more
Published December 4th 2002 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Angel with One Hundred Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angel with One Hundred Wings

Holly
Jun 09, 2012 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Abulhassan, an elderly pharmacist and favorite of the sultan, assists the Prince of Persia and the sultan's favorite mistress Shemselnehar to escape to Spain.

Set in 800 AD in the City of Peace (today's Baghdad!) in the reign of sultan Harun, known for his appreciation and patronage for architecture, art, textiles, science and literature, this novel is rich in imagery. The bazaars, streets and palaces of Baghdad, then one of the largest cities, are exotic and mesmerizing and finely drawn. Horch h
Renee
Sep 06, 2007 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forfun
This book is what happens when I wander into a bookstore with eleven dollars in my pocket and this strange desire to buy something.

It is the story of an aging pharmacist in an arabic country, set in the distant past, and how he fell back in love with the concept of love while double-crossing an old friend to help to lovers elope. Convoluted? A little. It's also a bit slow at times. But it's an elegant little story with a bit to say on love in the later stages of life/marriage.
Arielle Masters
Set in Baghdad many centuries ago, this was mostly a sweet story about a respected pharmacist trying to help a young couple who are in love be happy together forever after. Unfortunately, one of the couple is already the sultan's favorite concubine, and the sultan is the pharmacist's friend and a good man. The pharmacist does his best to be true to all, including his own wife and family, and there's a happy ending for many characters, but as happens in any love triangle - someone will be left al ...more
Sofia
May 01, 2016 Sofia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rich and vivid descriptions. Easily you can picture the setting and feel it through your senses. Yet at times I found myself getting bored with the old man's dreams. I also felt frustrated that the mistress waited so long, it seemed to stupid to me. Her reluctance and disregard was so immature. I felt glad that everything "worked" out so happily, but I think the book would have had more of an effect on me if the ending had turned out not so perfect. I don't know. It just didn't seem so believabl ...more
Megan
Feb 22, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tales-retold
Interesting plot, characters, and details of life. Some of the interwoven Arabian Nights stories and influences were very subtle, while a few were too separate from the story (I could tell when the narrative jumped), but overall it was well done.
Karen
Aug 14, 2009 Karen added it
This gorgeous tapestry of a story, set in the fabled and magical City of Peace of a 9th century that never was, is about love, and alchemy, and death, and faith. The atmospheric detail is rich and striking, from the wonders of the sultan's palace gardens to the incense and rosewater with which the men perfume their beards. Abulhassan the pharmacist, in many ways a secondary character to his own story, is wonderfully sympathetic and real. His inner struggle between the loyalty he owes to his olde ...more
Briynne
I thought of this book out of nowhere today at work, and embarked on a massive Google search to find the title. I read it a few years ago, and apparently promptly forgot about it (hence the three stars instead of four I remember it deserving). Anyway, it was a really cool book, set in ancient Baghdad. It's mysterious and full of lovely, exotic imagery. It's about an upright, loyal man who is friends with the sultan, but is asked to help the sultan's favorite mistress run away with the man she lo ...more
Kelayt
Jul 06, 2014 Kelayt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much enjoyed...
Laura (booksnob)
Mar 09, 2008 Laura (booksnob) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teens and adults who love a good story
I read this book aloud to my 9th grade class. It was a good book and we had great discussions surrounding the different culture and time period. It was a multi-layered story which made reading it aloud difficult at times but it had many interesting tales that the students found fascinating. I think this book is a good introduction to the 1001 Arabian Nights for teens and adults alike.
Karen Okamoto
Apr 24, 2008 Karen Okamoto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-2008
This is a tale of the forbidden love between Abulhassan, prince of Persia, and the Caliph's favorite concubine, Schemselnihar. The narrator, a pharmacist, alchemist, and friend of the Caliph, agrees to abet their elopement and fears for his execution. I really enjoyed the story. It went skipping lightly and quickly along, and was a fast read.
matteo
Jan 06, 2013 matteo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history_fic
The setting is fascinating: Baghdad during the time of the "Arabian Nights," in ninth-century Persia. The story, though, is fine. Not gripping, although mostly interesting. An easy read, but not one that I ever felt particularly invested in, and I'll probably forget the specifics of the plot and characters pretty quickly.
Holly
May 19, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Loved this book. It's a story in old Baghdad about power, love and betrayal. It's in the first person of the main character, a "pharmacist" and his life of relationships. Fantastic book! It's a touching book and yes, I even cried while reading this book.
Heather
great story, this was an interpretation of one of the Arabian Nights stories. I really enjoyed the description of the city and scenery, it made me think about modern day Bagdad differently.
Dalia Mahdy
Aug 31, 2013 Dalia Mahdy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the fascinating descriptions of the city, the atmosphere and scenery.
The characters were really interesting and I loved the wise sayings of the main character "Abul Hassan ".
Ann Zweber
A fun little adventure that takes you through 8th century Baghdad. Palaces and neighborhoods, customs and traditions, sultans and servants, princes and pharmacists, love and honor.
Megan
Jun 06, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lorien
I really liked this book, it showed me a world that I was totally unfamiliar with, but am now intrigued with. I love the imagery in this novel... excellent writer!
Allison
An interesting look at Arabian culture. I enjoyed the book but it does have quite a few discourses on religion and society.
Keri
Sep 01, 2008 Keri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really like T.Davis Bunn,I picked up one of his books just off the shelf in the library and have been impressed.
Jayeeta
May 27, 2007 Jayeeta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who liked Arabian Nights
Really good book by a new author. Very Arabian Nights. Great imagery. Very fast read. Like reading a fairy tale again.
Jenn Dunn
It's a story of a family in early Baghdad, Iraq. A very well written, insightful read!
Nina
Feb 11, 2010 Nina rated it really liked it
Shelves: grown-up
I went to high school with Daniel. He always did better in English than I did.
Shawna
Apr 30, 2007 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quite an engrossing little book set in ancient baghdad. beautifully written.
Catherine Lera
A very nice read - a very sweet story
Marz
Aug 28, 2010 Marz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great book
Natalya
Natalya marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Ashley Blackstone
Ashley Blackstone marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Carrye Wilks
Carrye Wilks rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
  • Phineas Poe: Kiss Me, Judas / Penny Dreadful / Hell's Half Acre
  • A Tolkien Miscellany
  • Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 4
  • Understanding Thomas Jefferson
  • Behold the Bones (Beware the Wild, #2)
  • dead, but dreaming