I Heard A Rumor (How I Survived Middle School, #3)

I Heard A Rumor (How I Survived Middle School #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  561 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Bestselling author Nancy Krulik delves into the mind of a twleve-year-old just trying to survive middle school.

Can you keep a secret? Are you the go-to girl when your friends have a secret to share? Can you be trusted to keep the info under wraps, or are you known for your loose lips?
The debut of the Madame X gossip column has turned Joyce Kilmer Middle School upside down
Published September 1st 2007 by Scholastic Inc.

Dork Diaries by Rachel Renée RussellDouble Dork Diaries by Rachel Renée RussellDork Diaries by Rachel Renée RussellTales from a Not-So-Smart Miss Know-It-All by Rachel Renée RussellSkating Sensation by Rachel Renée Russell
7th grade
38th out of 121 books — 41 voters
Grandfather's Journey by Allen SayEmma's Rug by Allen SayYotsuba&!, Vol. 01 by Kiyohiko AzumaTea with Milk by Allen SayKamishibai Man by Allen Say
Favorite Children Books
21st out of 36 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann
I have one thing to say: This school is too stereotypical.

I mean, come on. Popular people who are mean and make fun of other people? We've all seen that before. Unpopular people who are nice? We've seen that too. The protagonist who was once friends with the most popular girl in school? (coughLizzieMcGuirecough13goingon30cough)

It's a very poor storyline as well. And the advertising? Ew. There is a website mentioned in the book which I was hoping to see, but all I got when I typed in the address...more
Crystal
I really wanted to like this series. But, the constant reference to middleschoolsurvivaltips.com and the Pops gets old. She has a great group of friends. We need to hear more about them, rather than the Pops.
Pooja Dimba
Shonda
The Joyce Kilmer Middle School has added a new feature to its newspaper: a gossip column written by “Madame X”. No student is safe from having his/her secrets disclosed to the entire school. Jenny McAfee and her friends find themselves at odds when a rumor is written about one of their friends. Soon Jenny doesn’t know if she can trust anyone. To make matters worse, her former best friend Addy, now a “Pop” is being nice to her. Does Addy want to be Jenny’s BFF again? Or has Madame X’s exposure of...more
Afifa
Hmmmmm...... Where to start..... This whole series is so repetative...... Like percy Jackson. Heres what happens: Addie and Jenny Fight/compete over something. The same charecter always wins( you casn probably guess who that is) And than thats it. Although this one and the 1st one are different. this one was probably the 2nd best in the series. The first one was the best. But like I said the rest of them are VERY repetative and Cliche. Also... Chick Flick is not exactly my best genre. The absolu...more
ƹ̵̡ӝ̵̨̄ʒ τríssċär ƹ̵̡ӝ̵̨̄ʒ нαиgιиg fσя αѕ ℓσиg αѕ ι ¢αи, вєfσяє тнє gℓαѕѕ ѕнαттєяѕ..
I heard a Rumor is on how this mysterious person is writing secreacts of people in the school newspaper. No one knows who it is and people are getting more and more desparate to fid out who it is as the secrets get more personal and emabarasing. In the end a girl named Jenny finds out htat the writer was Addie her old BFF. Sh talks to Addie and gets her to apoigize to everyone, mostly her friends. In the end all is well and everyone is happy.
Mariah
I thought this book was really great! Although I usually like thiker books. In this how I Survived Middle School Madame X is spreading roumors (more like telling secrets) in the school news paper. It seems a bit wierd at first but its actually really interesting. My favourite thing about this book is the relatability!
Ling Juan
This was a good book.It talks about two girls Addie and Jenny that were best friends in elementary school. When they got to middle school, Addie started to change.Addie became one of the pops in the school and she started to be mean to Jenny!....
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Nancy Krulik once again helps calm the nerves of new middle schoolers by combining a fun story with helpful bits of advice on how to survive the many trials of life.

Jenny McAfee swears by the help she gets from middleschoolsurvival.com, and again she uses it to get her friends back on track. First it's Chloe who is acting strange. She is sort of keeping to herself and turning down any and all invitations to do cool stuff after sch...more
Jessica Ong
Summary'
This story is about a school news paper and what went wrong when Madame X started to post a comlumn leading fights and gossip. Everything was going right then BANG some Madame X got in to it and started to spead romours through the school paper about her Best friends saying that she has a boyfriend , then moves on to warning people about Middle School documentary that Marc is making, causeing everyone to run away from his camera. So Jenny the main character of the story is doing what eve...more
Verkilya Hogan
This book is somewhat similar to the TV show, Pretty Little Liars, because there's this one person that knows everyone's secret. And this one person identifies them-self as a letter. In P.L.L. the group represents themselves as A, and in this book, I Heard A Rumor, the person identified herself as Madame X. And this person would try to spread rumors around the school about every one. So, I thought this book was really good, because I didn't know who Madame X was, so I had to keep reading the boo...more
Ariana
This book is somewhat similar to the TV show, Pretty Little Liars, because there's this one person (or more) that knows everyone's secret. And this one person identifies them-self as a letter. In P.L.L. the group represents themselves as A, and in this book, I Heard A Rumor, the person identified herself as Madame X. And this person would try to spread rumors around the school about every one. So, I thought this book was really good, because I didn't know who Madame X was, so I had to keep readi...more
Red Tash
I'm going to give this one a four because it's so well-formulated to hit the mark with most middle school girls. It has quizzes, "Rules for Survival," faux articles on hairstyles & things of that nature inserted amid the constant references to the book's website (which, in the story, is a stand-alone). It focuses on the kind of interpersonal drama (are we still friends now that you're more popular than me?) that haunts us well into adulthood, and it's all sandwiched on 100 pages between two...more
Hannah
I love this book! Best in the series. I love how you start getting suspicious but new rumors fly at every turn; but I love how everything gets handled in the end. Although I must say that Addie's intentions weren't completely evil, I thought she was smart. Is spreading rumors about your friends smart so they don't hate her smart? Nuh uh, especially when it becomes very obvious who's starting the rumors. Other than that, cute book and great lesson!
 Sudha
These books answer the ultimate school conflicting questions. A series you may consider just to help you. If you don't like this, you only waste less than half a day on trying this out! Try this and take these super fun quizzes! Decide how to swerve you're life from the beginning when the hard part starts. Put out the fire quick and easy.
Danceaw18zendayafan
I think all of the how I survived middle school books are good. You can't actually rate them low because they don't have much of a premises unlike other books because this one is pretty tiny.
Grace H
In this book, a rumor spreading by the school newspaper and the rumor was about Jenny so she has a trouble with it and she find out who's the criminal that spread the rumor. If you like to read realistic book, you should try this book and it has a nice and interesting story.
Dani
This book was like watching an episode of a favorite sitcom. All the relationships were set up in the first two books, so it didn't take long to read. My 12-year-old twins and I finished it in no time flat.
Shelby
This book was about all the drama that goes on in the middle school years. If you like heearing about the drama that has went on in many more sitiuations this is a good book for you.
Paulie
yeah, I read. Well, it was kinda required that we borrow a book from a library :D Well, the story's KINDA nice. but not really, I'm not really into mid-school drama.
Cheyenne
Oct 28, 2013 Cheyenne marked it as to-read
I don't get it.The ones I type in on search I don't know how to get on the book.The ones I get on Ebooks I know how can somebody help me I heard its a good book
Jessica
Nov 15, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who needs tips for Jr. High!
This book is great! About a girl named Jenny who has 4 years to learn the ways of middle school.
Also: she includes tips for surviving in middle school!
™yourbeautifulnightmaree™
This boook from the series is baseically putting the message out to not put rumors about your friends out it comes back to bite you i the butt!
Serena
it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.Good luck Jenny!
Mas5thgrade
it was grat and I learned that you shouldn't spread rumors and nobody should spread rumors any way true r not
Rachel
This is my least favorite in ther series. Still its good as the others, the plot is a little weaker though
Alvina
Love it!! Jessica recommend it and I think I would recommend it to middle school girls..
Scc
Nothing to say. Except it is a good life lesson. It is also a really good book.
Autumn Cook
Grace
Any kids who are going into middle school will like this book.
  • The Sister Switch (Candy Apple #11)
  • Out Of Bounds (Beacon Street Girls, #4)
  • Callie For President (Candy Apple #9)
  • Drama Queen (Candy Apple #5)
  • Miss Popularity (Miss Popularity #1; Candy Apple #3)
  • Juicy Gossip (Candy Apple #19)
  • Accidentally Fooled (Accidentally, #3; Candy Apple #16)
  • The Accidental Cheerleader (Candy Apple #1)
  • The Boy Next Door (Candy Apple #2)
  • Totally Crushed (Candy Apple #7)
  • Rock & Role (Cinderella Cleaners, #3)
  • Making Waves (Candy Apple #10)
  • Never Underestimate Your Dumbness
  • Times Squared (Trading Faces, #3)
Nancy Krulik is the author of more than 100 books for children and young adults, including three New York Times bestsellers. She is best known, however, for being the author and creator of the Katie Kazoo Switcheroo book series, which has brought her to the attention of second, third, and fourth graders nationwide.

Nancy has also written extensively for teens and is well known as a biographer of Ho...more
More about Nancy E. Krulik...
Can You Get An F In Lunch? (How I Survived Middle School, #1) Ripped at the Seams She's Got the Beat Madame President (How I Survived Middle School) Anyone But Me (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #1)