Start by marking “Martian Manhunter: Son of Mars” as Want to Read:
Martian Manhunter: Son of Mars

Martian Manhunter: Son of Mars

The Martian Manhunter, one of the key heroes in The New 52, stars in this new title collecting his popular 1998 series. Featuring moody art by writer John Ostrander's frequent collaborator, Tom Mandrake, the story begins as the Manhunter tells Superman about the end of Mars's civilization and how he came to Earth. In his guise as Detective John Jones, he tracks a serial ...more
Published February 25th 2014 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Martian Manhunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martian Manhunter

Callum Shephard
Jun 04, 2014 Callum Shephard rated it liked it
No matter how famous and how outstanding the team, it’s unfortunate that many iconic figures within comics often go so overlooked by the public. When it comes to the X-Men, the majority of the characters people can name will be from their downsized numbers from the 90s animated series. When it comes to the Avengers, few people will be able to name anyone who has not had a film about them, often calling any other interpretation wrong (such as prior incarnations of Iron Man, who used to speak the ...more
M
May 24, 2014 M rated it liked it
The heart of the Justice League finally gets a volume to call his own, as John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake help Martian Manhunter take center stage. J'onn J'onzz is nostalgic for his Martian lifestyle. Following a return trip to the Red Planet, J'onn opts to take stock of his Earth-bound lives for a while. The John Jones identity is up first, as J'onn tackles a series of homeless decapitations. Next up is a trek to Japan, both as a businessman and as the Jade Warrior hero of legend, in order to ...more
Mitch
Feb 11, 2015 Mitch rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
"The only one of my family - my race - who still lived. The Great Voice was stilled. I had never thought of Mars as barren before then. Now it was as dead as I felt inside. I wept for them. Mostly, I wept for myself."

Wow. I've always been a fan of Martian Manhunter; I only wish there were more quality stories that focused on him in the manner that Ostrander does.
This book wonderfully switches from the philosophical to the physical action in a way that's emblematic of J'onn J'onzz's internal con
Matthew Noe
Mar 20, 2014 Matthew Noe rated it really liked it
I love getting more on J'onn and that is ensuring this gets a high rating despite some shortcomings. For example, the art leaves a bit to be desired - even for the era of its original publication. And the ending, while conclusive, seems cut short. Nonetheless, I'll be turning back to this for quite some time.
Robert Morganbesser
Decent

I would have given this four stars, but I found Tom Mandrakes art less than stellar. The story carries this telling Jon's origin and adding to it greatly. I've always enjoyed a lot of what John Ostrander writes and this was no different.
Andi Chorley
Apr 23, 2016 Andi Chorley rated it really liked it
Ostrander is always a reliable writer and the Manhunter is one of the under sung heroes of the DC multiverse. Maybe he will be more well known now he has featured in the Supergirl tv series!?
Michael
Sep 29, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Great artwork, a strong script that finds J'Onn tormented and broken down by an enemy from his past. The whole "evil twin" bit wasn't necessary, but the twists were strong and the mood pulpy fun.
Christopher
Feb 08, 2016 Christopher rated it really liked it
Decent story, really nice art. I have always found the Martian Manhunter to be an intriguing character.
Rj Veit
Nov 07, 2014 Rj Veit rated it it was amazing
After reading Ostrander's first specter volume I knew I was going to enjoy his Manhunter run. This book was fantastic, I already have the second one and look forward to it!
Tom
Apr 08, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it
Martian Manhunter has held a spot in the higher echelons of my comic book preferences for a long while, and this series only reaffirmed why.
John
John rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
PJ Ebbrell
May 03, 2014 PJ Ebbrell rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novesl
Good solid read, nothing special.
Dena Mcsausage
Dena Mcsausage rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Zach
Zach rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Rochon Perry
Rochon Perry rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Brent
Brent rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Shane Charles
Shane Charles rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Michael Caveney
Michael Caveney rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Derk
Derk rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Andres
Andres rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2015
Kevin Drew
Kevin Drew rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2016
Niall Philyaw
Niall Philyaw rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Jim Blatzheim
Jim Blatzheim rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Julio Bonilla
Julio Bonilla rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
John Ostrander is an American writer of comic books. He is best known for his work on Suicide Squad, Grimjack and Star Wars: Legacy, series he helped create.

Originally an actor in a Chicago theatre company, Ostrander moved into writing comics in 1983. His first published works were stories about the character "Sargon, Mistress of War", who appeared the First Comics series Warp!, based on a series
More about John Ostrander...