Start by marking “Nauvoo Polygamy: ..".But We Called It Celestial Marriage"” as Want to Read:
Nauvoo Polygamy: ..".But We Called It Celestial Marriage"

Nauvoo Polygamy: ..".But We Called It Celestial Marriage"

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When Joseph and Emma Smith arrived in Ohio in 1831, several families offered them lodging, as did the Whitneys, whose five year-old daughter, Sarah Ann, and her eleven-year-old neighbor, Mary Elizabeth Rollins, wouldlater play a role in Mormon polygamy. The Smiths soon moved in with the Johnsons, where Joseph met fifteen-year-old Marinda Nancy. In 1836, seven-year-old Hele ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Signature Books (first published August 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Nauvoo Polygamy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nauvoo Polygamy

Carys
Sep 30, 2010 Carys rated it liked it
It's not my 'favourite' polygamy book (if I can use that word about a topic which continues to give me the heeby-jeebies) however there is some new (to me, at least) and interesting information in 'Nauvoo Polygamy'. Having said that, I'd recommend 'Mormon Polygamy: A History' by Richard Van Wagoner before I'd recommend 'Nauvoo Polygamy'.
J.
Jun 26, 2009 J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, 2009-reads
Nauvoo Polygamy is a frank and honest discussion of the history and culture of early Mormon polygamy. While Compton wrote the encyclopedia, Smith wrote for the audience. The chapters about how polygamy worked culturally are the most interesting. There is plenty of discussion about source material and historical context, along with all kinds of charts. This book has statistics like Brigham Young had wives. The last chapter traces the history of polygamy through Europe to the Americas – my advice ...more
Napoleone
Jun 17, 2015 Napoleone rated it liked it
I liked the concise and surprisingly faster pace of this book compared to others I've read on the topic of polygamy. However, the result is some parts of the book should have gone a little more in depth, as some details and quotes are out of context, perhaps to support the author's beliefs and conclusions.
Michele
Jun 02, 2009 Michele rated it it was amazing
I started out believing that JS was the innocent charismatic who was taken advantage of by more sophisticated men, like BY. After reading this book, I believe just the opposite. The interesting thing about this book is that though, certainly George Smith has an agenda, just as all authors do, his research is so impeccable, that it is presented in as much detail as he can provide - including the context of other examples of christian plural marriage down through the ages - but doesn't really spea ...more
Austin Archibald
Jul 23, 2014 Austin Archibald rated it really liked it
Shelves: mormonism
While not from a "faithful" perspective and laced with erred conclusions, this is the most comprehensive look at the origins and development of Mormon polygamy. Really fascinating and entertaining. The history is so complex and difficult to piece all together, but the author did so effectively in a relatively easy and chronological format. An important companion to Compton and Van Wagoner's work.
Christian
Oct 01, 2012 Christian is currently reading it
How has this book not gotten more press? Maybe it has and I've missed it, but it seems like everyone looks to Compton's "In Sacred Loneliness" on this subject. I'm astonished by the extensive and careful research that went into this. It is an immense undertaking and I'm only on chapter 3 so far.
Jason
May 25, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it
This book is worth the 4 stars for the extensive charts and meticulously compiled demographic data alone. Didn't like the style and method of writing in a few chapters but overall it is a very important and well researched book.
Emily
Apr 12, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
This is actually a very interesting book, but give yourself sometime because there is a lot of detail with names and dates.
Viliami
Sep 02, 2012 Viliami rated it liked it
Exactly what I expected. Good for the historical sources. The genesis of polygamy is still somewhat elusive.
Rick
Mar 02, 2009 Rick is currently reading it
Shelves: religious
Definitely has some unsettling info about polygamy
Tommy
Tommy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Donna Galstad
Donna Galstad marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Nathan
Nathan added it
Feb 03, 2016
Dakota
Dakota marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Dorie
Dorie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Stephanie Ellingson
Stephanie Ellingson rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Janey
Janey marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Alyssa Picker
Alyssa Picker marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Daniel Vojta
Daniel Vojta marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Lowell Johnson
Lowell Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Ben Wanamaker
Ben Wanamaker marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Afton
Afton marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Becky Thaller
Becky Thaller marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Christopher Smith
Christopher Smith is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Christy Schell
Christy Schell marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015