Start by marking “Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey” as Want to Read:
Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey

Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  759 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Gain unprecedented behind-the-scenes access to Downton Abbey in this official Season 4 tie-in book, complete with never-before-seen photos giving fans insight into the making of the runaway hit.

Expertly crafted with generous inside knowledge and facts, this book will delve into the inspiration behind the details seen on screen, the choice of locations, the music and much m
Published October 29th 2013 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 12th 2013)

Jessica (priceiswong)
Jul 28, 2015 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this! You will too if you're a fan of the show!
Lori
Dec 26, 2013 Lori rated it it was amazing
I was a goodreads first reads winner of this fantastic book. I am a big fan of Downton Abbey so I was thrilled that i got the chance to read this book.it is very well done. with lots of generous pictures to go with "Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey. It was fun to read the information about the filming of this wonderful show. It gives information. on the cast, the outfits they wear, the hairstyles, the Castle where the Downton abbey family lives. the other buildings the props used etc.. I loved ...more
Carol
Nov 30, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely put this on your list if you are a fan of the hugely popular British TV series Downton Abbey. Combined with these two other companion books, The World of Downton Abbey, The Chronicles of Downton Abbey: A New Era Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey should satisfy your curiosity and keep you to date on the progression of the story line. Unlike the other two this one has a forward from Executive Producer Gareth Neame though of course, Julian and Jessica Fellows gets their due. I truly can ...more
Charlie
Jan 04, 2014 Charlie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was a Goodread winner of this excellent Coffee Table Book. Want to know about the Downton Abbey Behind the Scenes and the up and coming 2014 episodes? - then this is the book you need.

I gave this book to my Grandaughter for Christmas and she started reading it just as the last of the Christmas wrapping was torn off. Thankgoodness I got this book a few days before Christmas day. AND yes I did indeed did a quick read and wrapped it on Christmas Eve.
The book has many, MANY pictures of the befor
Therese
Really great book for every Downton Abbey fan like myself. There was a lot of really interesting behind the scenes information, and I highly enjoyed learning more about the show. (And now I want series 5 even more badly!)

One thing I will say, tho. It's not really about the book, but I still want to mention. Reading this, it makes it painfully obvious that a lot of the people behind the show are rich, posh englishmen who would be living "upstairs" if they lived in Downton Abbey. It doesn't make t
Marissa Dame
Feb 16, 2016 Marissa Dame rated it it was amazing
This book was lovely! The writing is wonderful, informative, and beautifully written. There are plenty of stunning photos, and glimpses behind the scenes, but the book doesn't depend on the images to make it worth while.

Emma Rowley, the author, has interviewed and talked with so many of the people involved with the production of Downton Abbey that she truly breathes life into these images.

I highly recommend this book to lovers of Downton Abbey. It's much more than a "pretty book with pictures" a
Tasha
Jan 08, 2014 Tasha rated it really liked it
I won an advanced copy of this book via the Goodreads giveaway

It was a very nice quick read, especially for a coffee table book.

I am and avid fan of Downton and thoroughly enjoyed the behind the scene look at the show and upcoming changes and/or additions for series 4. The book did have any spoilers instead it acted as a look into how they script, film, create and pull off the show.

Being a television production major in college I found this behind the scenes look very intriguing. Pulling off a p
Sheryl
Dec 29, 2013 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable, albeit quick, read about the making of Downton Abbey. At first blush, I thought it was a collection of photos, mostly, but there are sections of interesting text. I learned a ton about the hard work of making terrific television, which makes me appreciate it all the more. While this book is a companion piece to series four (and therefore, likely a PR effort), it does seem that all the people involved truly love what they do, and those with whom they work, which is wonderful ...more
Sacramento Public Library

As a Downton Abbey fan eagerly awaiting the new season I thought this would be a fun book to read. Divided into sections detailing every aspect of the show’s production it reveals just how much effort goes into keeping the look and content as historically accurate as possible. With gorgeous photographs throughout and plenty of fascinating details about the sets, wardrobe, scripts, hairstyles, makeup and props this book is a must read for any Downton Abbey fan. - Susie

Feb 03, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
I learned a surprising amount about filming television from this book. And you can't beat the still photos of the costumes/hair/set design either...
Jenni V.
Jun 02, 2014 Jenni V. rated it really liked it
I love Downton Abbey so when I saw this book at the library, I had to get it. It was fun to page through with lots of information and photos, and I found it very interesting.
Fun Fact 1: Highclere Castle is a real family home and a majority of the furniture and wall decorations are not props (which is why they chose it). They use rubber sheets to protect the floors from the equipment/crew while filming, and they use tablecloths on the dining table to protect the antique (tablemats only would've
Mary Beth
May 29, 2016 Mary Beth rated it really liked it
Gorgeous pictures and more detail than you could dare dream, this is a wonderful companion to the show.
Feb 16, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to lie. I work at the library and when I saw this book come in with some new stuff, I pulled it right off the shelving cart and set it aside with the intent of just flipping through it and putting it back before I left work. But then I started reading it...and took it home, where I spent the better part of the evening reading the entire book. I've loved Downton Abbey since season 1 and this was a great companion book. Loads of great little features on the various processes involved ...more
Amanda
Dec 27, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of the show Downton Abbey and this is a very interesting read for any fan of the show. There are a lot of details on how they film the show at Highclere Castle and other details about costumes and many other aspects into the show. This is a nice companion to the show with many pictures throughout the book.
Rachel Boothby
Apr 14, 2014 Rachel Boothby rated it liked it
Honestly, I skimmed much of this book, especially at the beginning. I really do enjoy reading about behind the scenes of my favorite shows and movies, but this got to be a little too detailed, especially about the production and history. Things picked up when the discussed the actors, wardrobe, hair, etc.
Mary Ronan Drew
May 03, 2014 Mary Ronan Drew rated it liked it
A good book with interesting anecdotes about the making of the TV series Downton Abbey, including some photos I had not seen before. It was sufficiently interesting to keep me reading but with all the material they must have to work with I think it could have been much better.
Joy
Dec 02, 2013 Joy rated it liked it
This is a good behind the scenes book although I don't think I learned much I didn't already know. Lots of nice photos are included. Fans of the series will enjoy it.
SOAL
Feb 16, 2015 SOAL rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from the library around the time my husband and I made our reservations to see the Dressing Downton exhibit at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. I thoroughly enjoyed both. All the little historical details make the program more interesting, as does some of the information on how they go about such a production. The costumes are stunning, the attention to (certain kinds of) detail is amazing, and the photographs in the book are quite nice.

Obviously, if you are in the mood
Kelly
Dec 28, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
See this review on 1776books.net...

Like everyone on the planet (it seems), I am obsessed with this British TV import. While the USA has certainly churned out its fair share of great, "make you think" shows, I've really been into Brit entertainment lately (Broadchurch was one of my favorite shows of 2013). Maybe it's the accent...who knows?

Emma Rowley's Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey does exactly what its name implies. This is a must-read for those who
Terri Lynn
Dec 18, 2013 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing
I just love this book. It starts in the very beginning when the concept of Downton Abbey first was suggested to Julian Fellowes and takes it from there. I enjoyed learning how the idea for the series came up, how they managed to get it into production, how cast were chosen, and all the details about locations, cars, food, hairstyles and makeup, and everything has been decided on with lots of color photos throughout. One photo in particular made me think about how real a show can seem. It is of R ...more
Doc Kinne
Feb 08, 2015 Doc Kinne rated it liked it
While I suspect there are several books about the landmark TV series just like this, this is the first "Downtown Abbey" book I've read and it worked for me. It is, when you get right down to it, just like every other book of its type - very well illustrated and written by someone with "insider access" - but those qualities didn't distract from the quality of the book.

If you've seen and liked the show, the book is certainly worth a look.
Bev
Sep 25, 2015 Bev rated it it was amazing
Shelves: show-biz, logos
Not exactly a "must read" but a "should read" for anybody who is a fan of the TV show. Liberally laced with gorgeous color photos, this book gives the lowdown on how the show was conceived, the writing process, and lots of backstage looks at how it is shot, both at Highclere Castle and at Ealing Studios in London. Lots of tidbits about the actors and their characters and the plot lines. Just a delight from start to finish.
Ellie
Dec 17, 2014 Ellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Downton Abbey!
I'm currently partway through series 5, and I must say that reading this made me want to re-watch the first four series :)

The book is fun and interesting with lovely photos. I definitely recommend it to Downton fans.

It's very detailed, so a lot of people would probably find it easier to appreciate in smaller doses. Try reading 10 or so pages in a sitting, and then come back to it again later.
Anda Alexandra
If you love period movies or series you most certainly watched Downton Abbey as well. Right now, very close to the end of the 4th season I managed to get this wonderful book to keep me company until the Christmas Special. Now this book is perfect for the hardcore fans of Downton Abbey and for the "lighter" version as well :) It has pictures throughout the 4 seasons of the show and it shows both the cast in their day-to-day work but also what is behing making Downton Abbey. It reveals the prop cl ...more
Anda Alexandra
Jessica
Jan 01, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Beautiful photography and lots of fun tidbits about the process of bringing one of the best shows in tv history to life. It promises more than it delivers, though: comments from the various cast members are sparse - and frustratingly vague, which is understandable (don't want to give away the secrets of upcoming season four!) but disappointing.
On the plus side, lots of fascinating insight into the vast intricacies of filming - all the behind the scenes explanations make me want to watch every e
Tamra
Apr 23, 2014 Tamra rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of the Downton Abbey series (and who isn't, for pete's sakes!) you will love this book. Plenty of photographs and inside information for the most avid fan. Historical details of the period and interesting facts of how the cast and crew make the show run so smoothly make this book a must-read.
Lesley
Nov 27, 2013 Lesley rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book! This book is a great and very quick read (since it is essentially all pictures, but that is how it should be). Anyone who loves Downton and history will find this book interesting. It was also great to learn about the different aspects that go into making the show - lighting, props, costumes, etc and how much importance they give to detail and historical accuracy. I know I sure would love to be the historical consultant on this show! Fortunately, while season 4 was discussed th ...more
Rosemary
Feb 19, 2015 Rosemary rated it really liked it
Fascinating glimpse at what really goes on at Downton Abbey before, during and after the cameras are rolling. Detailed information about the music, lighting, logistics, wardrobe and hair/makeup. Personally, I found the section on creating the fashion looks for the characters very interesting. It's amazing how much thought goes into every detail of the clothing worn by the cast. The informative text is accompanied by sumptuous photography. A must-have for all Downton Abbey fans.
Belinda
May 20, 2014 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Very comprehensive and detailed look at the behind of the scenes of the popular show with chapters about costumes, filming locations, inside stories, and the characters/actors. Quite amazing to realize how much work goes into every episode. A great addition to every Downtown fan's library.
  • The Chronicles of Downton Abbey: A New Era
  • The Real Life Downton Abbey: How Life Was Really Lived in Stately Homes a Century Ago
  • Downton Abbey: Rules for Household Staff
  • The Real Life Women of Downton Abbey
  • Downton Abbey: The Complete Scripts, Season One
  • Upstairs & Downstairs: The Illustrated Guide to the Real Life of Masters and Their Servants from the Victorian Era to the Second World War
  • Downtrodden Abbey: The Interminable Saga of an Insufferable Family
  • The Life and Times of Call the Midwife: The Official Companion to Season One and Two
  • Savvy Chic: The Art of More for Less
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 3 & 4
  • A Thatched Roof (Beverley Nichols's Allways Trilogy)
  • Making Masterpiece: 25 Years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS
  • The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook
  • Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural
  • Chatsworth: The House
  • The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits
  • 75 Exquisite Trims in Thread Crochet: For Edgings, Corners, Crescents & More