Start by marking “Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey” as Want to Read:
Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey

Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  123 reviews
Gainunprecedented behind-the-scenes access to Downton Abbeyin thisofficial Season 4 tie-in book, complete withnever-before-seen photos giving fans insight into the making of the runaway hit.

Expertly crafted with generous inside knowledge and facts, this book will delve into the inspiration behind the details seen on screen, the choice of locations, the music and much more.
Published October 29th 2013 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey

Delia's Shadow by Jaime Lee MoyerThe Fortune Hunter by Daisy GoodwinThe Tea Rose by Jennifer DonnellyBittersweet by Colleen McCulloughDare to Love Again by Julie Lessman
Ladies Wearing Hats
132nd out of 149 books — 17 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls WilderOn the Road by Jack KerouacOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckBy the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Titlemania IV: I've got a preposition for ya'
173rd out of 265 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Lori
I was a goodreads first reads winner of this fantastic book. I am a big fan of Downton Abbey so I was thrilled that i got the chance to read this book.it is very well done. with lots of generous pictures to go with "Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey. It was fun to read the information about the filming of this wonderful show. It gives information. on the cast, the outfits they wear, the hairstyles, the Castle where the Downton abbey family lives. the other buildings the props used etc.. I loved ...more
Carol
Definitely put this on your list if you are a fan of the hugely popular British TV series Downton Abbey. Combined with these two other companion books, The World of Downton Abbey, The Chronicles of Downton Abbey: A New Era Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey should satisfy your curiosity and keep you to date on the progression of the story line. Unlike the other two this one has a forward from Executive Producer Gareth Neame though of course, Julian and Jessica Fellows gets their due. I truly can ...more
Charlie
I was a Goodread winner of this excellent Coffee Table Book. Want to know about the Downton Abbey Behind the Scenes and the up and coming 2014 episodes? - then this is the book you need.

I gave this book to my Grandaughter for Christmas and she started reading it just as the last of the Christmas wrapping was torn off. Thankgoodness I got this book a few days before Christmas day. AND yes I did indeed did a quick read and wrapped it on Christmas Eve.
The book has many, MANY pictures of the befor
Therese
Really great book for every Downton Abbey fan like myself. There was a lot of really interesting behind the scenes information, and I highly enjoyed learning more about the show. (And now I want series 5 even more badly!)

One thing I will say, tho. It's not really about the book, but I still want to mention. Reading this, it makes it painfully obvious that a lot of the people behind the show are rich, posh englishmen who would be living "upstairs" if they lived in Downton Abbey. It doesn't make t
Tasha
I won an advanced copy of this book via the Goodreads giveaway

It was a very nice quick read, especially for a coffee table book.

I am and avid fan of Downton and thoroughly enjoyed the behind the scene look at the show and upcoming changes and/or additions for series 4. The book did have any spoilers instead it acted as a look into how they script, film, create and pull off the show.

Being a television production major in college I found this behind the scenes look very intriguing. Pulling off a p
Sheryl
Thoroughly enjoyable, albeit quick, read about the making of Downton Abbey. At first blush, I thought it was a collection of photos, mostly, but there are sections of interesting text. I learned a ton about the hard work of making terrific television, which makes me appreciate it all the more. While this book is a companion piece to series four (and therefore, likely a PR effort), it does seem that all the people involved truly love what they do, and those with whom they work, which is wonderful ...more
Sacramento Public Library

As a Downton Abbey fan eagerly awaiting the new season I thought this would be a fun book to read. Divided into sections detailing every aspect of the show’s production it reveals just how much effort goes into keeping the look and content as historically accurate as possible. With gorgeous photographs throughout and plenty of fascinating details about the sets, wardrobe, scripts, hairstyles, makeup and props this book is a must read for any Downton Abbey fan. - Susie

I learned a surprising amount about filming television from this book. And you can't beat the still photos of the costumes/hair/set design either...
Jenni V.
I love Downton Abbey so when I saw this book at the library, I had to get it. It was fun to page through with lots of information and photos, and I found it very interesting.
Fun Fact 1: Highclere Castle is a real family home and a majority of the furniture and wall decorations are not props (which is why they chose it). They use rubber sheets to protect the floors from the equipment/crew while filming, and they use tablecloths on the dining table to protect the antique (tablemats only would've
I'm not going to lie. I work at the library and when I saw this book come in with some new stuff, I pulled it right off the shelving cart and set it aside with the intent of just flipping through it and putting it back before I left work. But then I started reading it...and took it home, where I spent the better part of the evening reading the entire book. I've loved Downton Abbey since season 1 and this was a great companion book. Loads of great little features on the various processes involved ...more
Amanda
I am a big fan of the show Downton Abbey and this is a very interesting read for any fan of the show. There are a lot of details on how they film the show at Highclere Castle and other details about costumes and many other aspects into the show. This is a nice companion to the show with many pictures throughout the book.
Rachel Boothby
Honestly, I skimmed much of this book, especially at the beginning. I really do enjoy reading about behind the scenes of my favorite shows and movies, but this got to be a little too detailed, especially about the production and history. Things picked up when the discussed the actors, wardrobe, hair, etc.
Mary Ronan Drew
A good book with interesting anecdotes about the making of the TV series Downton Abbey, including some photos I had not seen before. It was sufficiently interesting to keep me reading but with all the material they must have to work with I think it could have been much better.
Joy
This is a good behind the scenes book although I don't think I learned much I didn't already know. Lots of nice photos are included. Fans of the series will enjoy it.
SOAL
I borrowed this book from the library around the time my husband and I made our reservations to see the Dressing Downton exhibit at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. I thoroughly enjoyed both. All the little historical details make the program more interesting, as does some of the information on how they go about such a production. The costumes are stunning, the attention to (certain kinds of) detail is amazing, and the photographs in the book are quite nice.

Obviously, if you are in the mood
Kelly
See this review on 1776books.net...

Like everyone on the planet (it seems), I am obsessed with this British TV import. While the USA has certainly churned out its fair share of great, "make you think" shows, I've really been into Brit entertainment lately (Broadchurch was one of my favorite shows of 2013). Maybe it's the accent...who knows?

Emma Rowley's Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey does exactly what its name implies. This is a must-read for those who
Terri Lynn
I just love this book. It starts in the very beginning when the concept of Downton Abbey first was suggested to Julian Fellowes and takes it from there. I enjoyed learning how the idea for the series came up, how they managed to get it into production, how cast were chosen, and all the details about locations, cars, food, hairstyles and makeup, and everything has been decided on with lots of color photos throughout. One photo in particular made me think about how real a show can seem. It is of R ...more
Doc Kinne
While I suspect there are several books about the landmark TV series just like this, this is the first "Downtown Abbey" book I've read and it worked for me. It is, when you get right down to it, just like every other book of its type - very well illustrated and written by someone with "insider access" - but those qualities didn't distract from the quality of the book.

If you've seen and liked the show, the book is certainly worth a look.
Ellie
I love Downton Abbey!
I'm currently partway through series 5, and I must say that reading this made me want to re-watch the first four series :)

The book is fun and interesting with lovely photos. I definitely recommend it to Downton fans.

It's very detailed, so a lot of people would probably find it easier to appreciate in smaller doses. Try reading 10 or so pages in a sitting, and then come back to it again later.
Anda Alexandra
If you love period movies or series you most certainly watched Downton Abbey as well. Right now, very close to the end of the 4th season I managed to get this wonderful book to keep me company until the Christmas Special. Now this book is perfect for the hardcore fans of Downton Abbey and for the "lighter" version as well :) It has pictures throughout the 4 seasons of the show and it shows both the cast in their day-to-day work but also what is behing making Downton Abbey. It reveals the prop cl ...more
Anda Alexandra
Jessica
Beautiful photography and lots of fun tidbits about the process of bringing one of the best shows in tv history to life. It promises more than it delivers, though: comments from the various cast members are sparse - and frustratingly vague, which is understandable (don't want to give away the secrets of upcoming season four!) but disappointing.
On the plus side, lots of fascinating insight into the vast intricacies of filming - all the behind the scenes explanations make me want to watch every e
Tamra
If you are a fan of the Downton Abbey series (and who isn't, for pete's sakes!) you will love this book. Plenty of photographs and inside information for the most avid fan. Historical details of the period and interesting facts of how the cast and crew make the show run so smoothly make this book a must-read.
Molly
While The World of Downton Abbey focuses on the historical background of the show and The Chronicles of Downton Abbey goes in depth on each character, Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey delves in detail about the creation and production of the show. It includes insider knowledge about the scripts, props, wardrobe, make-up and hair, and the legacy of show. It was very interesting to learn about all the work that goes into making the show. It was a great read.
Lesley
A beautiful book! This book is a great and very quick read (since it is essentially all pictures, but that is how it should be). Anyone who loves Downton and history will find this book interesting. It was also great to learn about the different aspects that go into making the show - lighting, props, costumes, etc and how much importance they give to detail and historical accuracy. I know I sure would love to be the historical consultant on this show! Fortunately, while season 4 was discussed th ...more
Rosemary
Fascinating glimpse at what really goes on at Downton Abbey before, during and after the cameras are rolling. Detailed information about the music, lighting, logistics, wardrobe and hair/makeup. Personally, I found the section on creating the fashion looks for the characters very interesting. It's amazing how much thought goes into every detail of the clothing worn by the cast. The informative text is accompanied by sumptuous photography. A must-have for all Downton Abbey fans.
Belinda
Very comprehensive and detailed look at the behind of the scenes of the popular show with chapters about costumes, filming locations, inside stories, and the characters/actors. Quite amazing to realize how much work goes into every episode. A great addition to every Downtown fan's library.
Angelique
Beautiful book with tons of gorgeous photos and fascinating information about the people who make this show happen and their jobs. It covers shooting locations, sets, costumes, makeup, props and the actors who inhabit the characters. Thoroughly enjoyed it and read it cover to cover.
Julie
Aug 31, 2014 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
This was the perfect read after finally finishing the fourth season on DVD. I picked it up at the library and didn't suspect I'd actually read it, but I did - I learned a lot about TV production, and everything was interesting, with plenty of photos to keep it moving along.
Lindasp
Amazing info on the production of Downton Abbey! So much happens to make the show and I'll not be able to watch it without thinking of all the behind-the-scenes people who make it such a wonderful program. Lots of pictures from behind the scenes too.
  • The Chronicles of Downton Abbey: A New Era
  • The Real Life Downton Abbey: How Life Was Really Lived in Stately Homes a Century Ago
  • Downton Abbey: The Complete Scripts, Season One
  • The Life and Times of Call the Midwife: The Official Companion to Season One and Two
  • Downton Abbey: Rules for Household Staff
  • Agent Gates and the Secret Adventures of Devonton Abbey: A Parody of Downton Abbey
  • Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals
  • Downtrodden Abbey: The Interminable Saga of an Insufferable Family
  • Savvy Chic: The Art of More for Less
  • John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood
  • I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
  • The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook
  • A Thatched Roof (Beverley Nichols's Allways Trilogy)
  • The Wicked Wit of Jane Austen
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
  • Life Below Stairs: in the Victorian and Edwardian Country House
  • Fauna and Family
  • Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural
A Socio-cultural Perspective on Patient Safety A Socio-Cultural Perspective on Patient Safety