The Wily O'Reilly: Irish Country Stories

The Wily O'Reilly: Irish Country Stories (Irish Country)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Long before Dr. Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly made most readers’ acquaintance in Patrick Taylor’s bestselling novel An Irish Country Doctor, he appeared in a series of humorous columns originally published in Stitches: The Journal of Medical Humour. These warm and wryly amusing vignettes provide an early glimpse at the redoubtable Dr. O’Reilly as he tends to the colourful and...more
Audio CD
Published February 4th 2014 by Macmillan Audio (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Wily O'Reilly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wily O'Reilly

Jina Howell-Forbes
Up until now I have loved every book in the Irish Country Doctor Series. This latest entry however, was a disappointment. The book is a series of short vignettes about the characters that appear in the rest of the books. These are re-prints of stories that were published in medical monthly publications before the first of the novels were published. The problem with this book is that at least half the stories were repeated at least in part in the regular books. I knew the endings before they occu...more
Lindsay Owens
I couldn't get through this book. I kept picking it up before going to bed, thinking that with time, it would get better. A hundred pages in and it never did. The stories were too short, the humor dry at best, and the main characters dislikable.

I think perhaps if I had read one of Taylor's Irish country novels previously, I could better appreciate the origins and building of Dr. O'Reilly's character, but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I would get the humor even then. The good thing is, hum...more
John Wood
The book is actually a collection of newspaper columns about an old fashioned Irish doctor from the perspective of the young doctor who assisted in his practice. Written by an Irish expat now living in Canada, I surmise that the inspiration for these tales is provided by the author's own experiences. Doctor O'Reilly is an unconventional, opinionated, hard drinking character whose antics keep the reader entertained and smiling. Using occasional restatements of familiar phrases and alliterative ru...more
Sheillagh Dare
Wonderful book by Patrick Taylor. He writes about Dr. Fingal O'Reilly from the time he takes over the practice of a retired doctor, after returning from serving in WWII in the British Navy on the Warsprite. Each chapter is a vignette of a day in the life of this Irish country doctor in the town of Ballybucklebo, County Down, Northern Ireland. As you read each chapter, you are introduced to the people of this little town, and how they related to Dr. O'Reilly. By the time you finish this book, you...more
I started reading this book unfamiliar with the characters, unlike it seems a lot of the other readers. I really enjoy reading stories of small-town/rural Irish goings-on, so I enjoyed this book. The sketches were short, so of course they weren't fully fleshed out, as I understand the characters are more so in the author's later works, but they were still enjoyable. The humour was quaint and jovial, the characters likable and quirky, and all in all it was a comfortable, relaxing book to spend so...more
Regina Spiker
A compilation of the famous Dr. Fingal O'Reilly stories before he became so famous. Patrick Taylor originally wrote about the Irish doctor in a series of columns published in Stitches: The Journal of Medical Humour before publishing them as a book in later years. Doc's antics will crack you up as he interacts with his Ulster town residents at the pub, the Mucky Duck, and in his surgery. Our favorite characters are back like Kinky, Donal Donnelly, and O'Reilly's leg humping, very large dog, Arthu...more
Rebecca
The telling and retelling of anecdotes from the IRISH COUNTRY DOCTOR series of 8 wonderful books. These 69 incidents in the life of blustering, gruff, big hearted Dr. O'REILLY are retold as seen through the eyes of a polite, well-mannered, and extremely naive apprentice by the name of Dr. Taylor. I laughed until I cried!!! Author Patrick Taylor saved the best for last !
Sharon
It was lovely to be back in Ballybucklebo. The author informed us in the preamble that the reprints are from his humorous columns published in Stitches, The Journal of Medical Humour. These short articles are what formed the basis of the O'Reilly series so I was prepared to reread some stories and discover new ones.

I thoroughly enjoyed our walk down memory lane.
Nancy
This collection of Patrick Taylor's original Irish Doctor stories was a very pleasant read. Even though the stories were used as the base of the series, it was fun to read them again in a different format and see their beginnings. The stories were published once a month, so it is like reading a book full of short stories instead of chapters.
Rose
With the exception of the last one, these are anecdotes - not stories. It is interesting to read these early writings about the Irish doctor characters and see how much the novels are an improvement. I would recommend that you read the novels first.
Beth Mcgoldrick
I didn't enjoy this book. I like reading the stories, but this was the short articles that preceeded the stories in the book. I'd already read these through the previously published books. It was disappointing.
Agnes
A lovely romp through Irish small town doctor life. Lots of alliteration, almost too much, but probably due to fact these were short stories.
Kathryn French
the first stories of Dr O'Reilly, before Taylor developed it into a series of novels. Entertaining as always. You'll recognize some of the situations from the later novels.
Leslie
Taylor's original stories are more interesting to read as markers of the development of the Irish Country books than as stories in their own right.
John Worthington
This was a collection of stories of Dr. O'Reilly and the wonderful collection of Irish country folk. A fun and enjoying read.
Priscilla Herrington
Dec 20, 2013 Priscilla Herrington rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Patrick Taylor; fans of Irish stories
I'm a fan of Patrick Taylor's Irish Country series and can't seem to get enough of Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly. These stories were great fun! Taylor originally write them as a monthly column in the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, from October 1995 until December 2001. During this time, Dr. O'Reilly's character develops into the country doctor Taylor's fans love. Taylor's writing also becomes more sure!

For fans of the series, part of the fun of these stories is encountering Taylor...more
Christopher Roden
A slight departure this, the volume being a collection of Patrick Taylor's early anecdotes about our good doctor friend, as published in journals. Good fun, nonetheless.
Dona
great to see how character went for short stories in a magazine to the great book collection of books
Rivka
Fun collection of little vignettes about some of my favorite people.
Robin
Laughed at some of the stories until it hurt too much
Iris
Funny, entertaining stories.
Diane
I read all the rest of the series and found this whole book a redundancy. I felt like I was 're-reading a book, and I am not one who reads books a second time.
Sherrian
Very disappointed with this book.
PWRL
Jun 11, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Paula
This book is a compilation of articles and columns that were written for medical journals, probably before the Irish Country Doctor book series. And a lot of the stories here were definitely the roots of later stories in the books. They were still enjoyable, and it was nice to read a story in 3 pages, and then when you picked the book up again, it was to read a whole new story.

Still, I'm waiting for the next installment in the Irish Country Doctor series. Those are still my favorites.
Joy Caporale
Great group of stories for background of rest of series.
Megowen
Jul 22, 2014 Megowen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Megowen by: Shelf at bookstore.
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Just so many stories, funny or not, that can hang off the same tree branch. Off to half.com with this one.
Kathy Morris
This is a series of humorous articles about Dr. O'Reilly that appeared in a medical journal. They are slice-of-life essays and I enjoyed them very much. The last piece in the book is a short story about the start of O'Reilly's practice. If you have read the other Irish Country Doctor books by Mr. Taylor, you will recognize some of the incidents in this book, as the articles laid the groundwork for the later books.
Shannon Muir
Nice to see the source material for the novels, which I now will go out and start to read to see how close they are to these original stories or not. Great for small quick reads.
Erik Twisk
I received this book via goodreads.com and I want to thank goodreads and the writer for giving me the opportunity to read this book.
I like the little stories in the book they are good written and enjoyable. Great reading material if you want to read a little before going to sleep. for mee the book would had been better if it was a little bit less thick.
Great book
  • Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland
  • Whoredom In Kimmage: The Private Lives of Irish Women
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel of Ireland
  • The Art of Preserving
  • Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
  • The Ambitious Madame Bonaparte
  • Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends
  • O Come Ye Back to Ireland: Our First Year in County Clare
  • The Year After: A Memoir
  • Maeve's Times
  • Skyfire (The Summer King Chronicles, #2)
  • Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child
  • Minding the Manor: The Memoir of a 1930s English Kitchen Maid
  • Kabu Kabu
  • A Murder in Mount Moriah (Reverend Lindsay Harding Mystery, #1)
  • The Mother-In-Law Cure
  • Kilmoon (A County Clare Mystery #1)
There is more than one author with this name

Patrick Taylor, M.D., is the author of the Irish Country books, including An Irish Country Doctor, An Irish Country Village, An Irish Country Christmas, An Irish Country Girl, and An Irish Country Courtship. Taylor was born and raised in Bangor, County Down, in Northern Ireland. After qualifying as a specialist in 1969, he worked in Canada for thirty-one...more
More about Patrick Taylor...
An Irish Country Doctor (Irish Country #1) An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2) An Irish Country Christmas (Irish Country #3) An Irish Country Girl (Irish Country #4) An Irish Country Courtship (Irish Country #5)