Start by marking “Like a Mighty Army” as Want to Read:
Like a Mighty Army

Like a Mighty Army (Safehold #7)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  2,037 ratings  ·  186 reviews
For centuries, the world of Safehold, last redoubt of the human race, lay under the unchallenged rule of the Church of God Awaiting. The Church permitted nothing new-no new inventions, no new understandings of the world.

What no one knew was that the Church was an elaborate fraud--a high-tech system established by a rebel faction of Safehold's founders, meant to keep humani
Audio CD, 21 pages
Published February 4th 2014 by Macmillan Audio (first published January 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Like a Mighty Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like a Mighty Army

At this point I'm reading to see "How stuff happened" and not what is going to happen or who is going to win. Because the tension in the story just isn't there. It's good stuff and people who have made it this far are thoroughly invested in it and will continue to read I don't doubt but it still feels like for the last several books it's been pages after page of meetings and some few battle scenes but with not much happening that changes anything.
Kristian Brødsgaard
I'm getting flashbacks to Wheel of Time. A brilliant premise, that is wasted because the author can't make himself move the story forward, gets caught up in minutiae, and introduces dozens upon dozens of characters, by name. (Barely pronouncable names, at that...)

There is a clear lack of progress throughout the book. Sure some engagements between large armies were fought, but we're not much nearer the end of the conflict than 600 pages ago. As if that wasn't annoying enough, Weber has suddenly a
Robert Ottoboni
As much as I like Weber and the Safehold series I found this one a disappointment. To be honest I don't know what can be done from an author's perspective to make a seventh installment in a complex storyline anything more than 'updates for the battlefield' which is what this book reads as.
There are so many fronts to cover and multiplying characters that there is only room in one book to give a few chapters to each. The plot has branched so many times due to the wonderful depth and reality of it
Steven Kasow
I generally like David Weber's work and enjoyed the first volumes of this series, but have been consistently been disappointed at the glacial pace of the plotting and writing. Since about four books ago. When the cast of characters alone reaches 67 pages, that seems to me to be a good indicator of how much bloat we have to wade through. Is anyone at the publisher actually editing these manuscripts?
Jonathan Scotese
This entire series (including the volumes yet to come) could be edited down into an awesome trilogy.

What bothers me is what others love, but so much space is filled with long explanations of technical processes or blow by blow accounts of battles. I read entire chapters and think to myself that the important ideas and events could have been handled in several paragraphs. I understand it is a matter of taste, and I just wish the idea behind the story was a bit less cool so I could quit the series
If you want to learn about the manufacture of civil war era weaponry, you might like this book. If you actually want to read a science fiction book, look elsewhere.
If you're reading book 7, then that means you've read the previous 6 and so already know how this is probably going to go.

The problem is, some of the problems with the series are worse than they've ever been.

The name thing is annoying but bearable, but the sheer number of characters is getting beyond comprehension, which leads on to the second big problem with this book.
As I was getting to what I thought was the good 'cliff-hanger part (84-85% in my kindle app, with an estimated 105 minutes to t
direct continuation of MTAT (would say part 2 of 3 or 4 depending how things will go in book 3 as tempo) and a sweeping epic of land war in Siddamark with lots of other things on the side - the real deal from the infamous snippet about Irys is excellent and shows once again DW's deviousness, while the instructor part from same only adds to the fun...

Loved the ending too which is a little twist at the end, not that I did find it that surprising since after
I have been a huge fan of this series, and all D.W.'s work to date, but did find this book to be a bit of a hard slog to try and get through.

This book seemed to diverge from previous books in that the focus didn't take place on all the previous primary characters, that readers had gotten emotionally vested in, but in a significant number of new minor characters that seemed to overly complicate and confuse the direction and understanding of the novel. As well as this, there seemed to be a signif
This book is simply immense, Weber did a grat job keeping the pace with every single event on the whole planet Safehold. While many may praise him for this, the extreme accuracy and quantity of details about the difficulties of organising supply lines, after forty terribly long pages I had listened the same supply lines issues not by one, but from all the characters of every faction, from the lowest grunt to every churchman in Zion. Weber has lately shown the orrible habit of writing entire chap ...more
I wish I could stop myself from picking up Weber's books. This baby clocks in at 584 pages. Generously, it could fit in about 120 if one removed all the fluff. The plot inches forward at a snail's pace, many things don't make sense, and every character has the same personality, yet I still want to find out what comes next.
Catching up on the latest of David Weber's sprawling Safehold series. It's a hard to explain series as humanity has been virtually wiped out after an alien invasion, except for one planet, Safehold, that a select group of human's escaped to. They locked themselves in a pre-industrial society with an all encompassing church ruling the lives of the millions of citizens, completely forgetting the alien invasion that brought them here. It's complex and involves a cyborg with knowledge of the past ch ...more
Jean Poulos
When “Like A Mighty Army” #7 in the Safehold series by David Weber was released on 4 Feb 2014 it hit the New York Times best seller list on the first day. It caught my attention as I had just put the book in my “wish list” on Audible. Anyone who wants to start this series I recommend you begin with book #1 “Off Armageddon Reef” or else you will be lost. The premise of the series is that a powerful and xenophobic alien race, the Gbaba, attacked and destroyed Earth. The survivors fled to planet, t ...more
I've read all seven books of this series, to my detriment. The quality has declined steadily, if gradually. I loved the first book and the next few weren't terrible. But at this point my interest has hit rock bottom. I have several main complaints about this book. The first is the author's penchant for writing at length about minor technical points of Safehold's technology. He spends pages and pages discussing NAILS. (Alright that's a slight exaggeration, but not by much) Also, he somehow manage ...more
Rick English
May 14, 2014 Rick English rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of detailed military science fiction
This series has gone afar from where I thought it would go. It is an excellent example of military fiction set in a period just prior to the industrial age.

In general, I like Weber and have read (listened to) several of his books. One starts to notice some annoying stylistic patterns. For example, all of the characters use the phrase "on the other hand" repeatedly. In one of his books I remember reading "on the other hand" three times on a single page. I wish he would use a search and replace be
Harry A
For the first time, I felt the force of criticisms I've read of Weber's recent books--basically, that he's too deeply involved in the worlds he creates, with the result that the novels are narcissistic developments of the world without an adequate story. This novel has lots of details, many battles, strategic and tactical discussions, ... and not a lot of story. He tries character development, but the characters and their stories aren't developed; the battles, tactics, and strategy are.

I'll keep
John Mellby
David Weber continues his land war in this excellent series, although the book takes almost as much time as a real war.
I enjoyed this a lot and read through it as soon as it was released.
I have to say I have the feeling that at least 20-30% of the book could have been cut out without losing anything of the content. There felt to be a great amount of extraneous detail that wasn't necessary.
Patrick Murray
I can't say that I enjoyed this one, for the most part. It's really lacking as far as moving the story forward in a meaningful way. Weber seems to be the victim of his own success. Either that or he needs an editor that will tell him to wrap it up. I could not have told you if this was book 6 or book 7 for a good 80-90% of the book.

And if I read the phrase "in the fullness of time" once more, I'll puke.
I gave this book a 2 because I finished it.

I have read all the books leading up to this one and they were fairly good. They flowed, and there was a sense of accomplishment and development with the characters and story line. This book seemed to just ramble. The points of view switched so often I never seemed to be able to get into the feel of things. I am overall disappointed in this book, because I generally enjoy this author's works.

Still too much detail on the all the tiny moving parts of a land war, but I started skimming some which made it more interesting. And I'm too invested in the characters to give up the series at this point. The surprise ending does make me hopeful for the next sequel.
Dawn Jacobs
It's supposed to be out in kindle in 2 days. Wish me happy reading! lol
I've been faithfully reading every book in this series, but with this one I have hit the wall. How can a book have so much detail and dialogue with so little plot advancement? Then there is the problem with the names: not only are they difficult to track because of the bizarre spellings, but there are so many that this book includes a 67 page character list along with the glossary. Clearly I will have died from old age before we get back to space, so I am giving up and moving on to another book ...more
Why does Mr. Weber have to go on and on about how fast per sec bullet fly and how many pounds of black powder it takes to throw shrapnel a set distance? Okay, it's impressive he knows this stuff or researches it but it does very little to move the plot forward. I really believe he needs a good editor. On who can trim down his moralistic speech making and get on with the story. I mean, this is the seventh volume and we are still a long ways from any type of ending.
What ever happened to writing a
This is another David Weber tale that is well written but suffers from three major flaws that prevent it from being a great book. 1) The Mary Sue - his main cast of characters and the major secondary characters are all too good. Smart, strong, noble, well-intentioned (even if a bad guy), and even when things go wrong, they end up going right most of the time. 2) Infodump. There are parts of this book that read like a technical manual. I really do like knowing that the good guys are advancing the ...more
Heather Grove
Can never tell if I love or hate this series. Two good plot points, glacial pacing, minimum military history = most painful book so far. Yet, I can't wait for the next.

Naming conventions are ghastly, but by book 7 you've either gotten used to it or given up. My gripe is that the bizarre spellings make it so difficult to track which character is which. Doesn't matter, though, because every single one of them is a one dimensional copy from the same template. They're sort of interchangeable. Don't
Book 7 and the series is rolling along fairly well.

The war with the Church of Safehold is in full bloom, having moved from a primarily naval conflict to a land engagement as the forces of Imperial Charis have landed in the Republic of Siddarmark, trying to preserve it against the Church forces that designated it for elimination for collusion with heresy, a replay of the targeting done on the Charis that kicked off the whole thing in the first place.

It's good that things have advanced this far, a
Charles Kennedy

I have just finished reading the Safehold series up to this point. It probably has one more book to go. The series develops from an autocratic church trying to impose its will and the rejection and opposition of a very young king and queen of Charis guided by a mysterious ninja like warrior. The "Ninja" (my term) gradually admits to more and more knowledge about technology. The Ninja guides the leaders of Charis to develop technology and power and empower individuals for greater freedom.

I find t
Still enjoying the series immensely. I particular enjoy watching the development (reintroduction?) of technology on this world and how the various technical discoveries fit together and build on top of each other - and how some relatively simple technologies can create an overwhelming advantage. For those familiar with Sid Meier's Civilization game, this is like a novel set around that game!

The downside that I referenced in the last book continues...which is some of the excruciating detail Weber
K. M. Herkes
Oh, Safehold. I wish I could quit you. I wish I could avert my eyes from your doorstop-weight tree-murdering page counts. I wish I could ignore scene after scene full of tortured name-spellings and dry technical information dumps. I wish I could skip all the long conversations between talking heads whose physical descriptions are barely more than hooks on which to depend their comfortably-worn archetype personalities.

Oh, Safehold. I can't quit you. The brilliant descriptions of battle, so deftl
Mary Holland
Weber is back at the top of his form. (If you haven't read the other books in this series, for heaven sake don't start here, start with Off Armageddon Reef.) I was quite worried this book would be another lump of committee meetings and agonized repetitive moral quandaries but it has lots of action, lots of military tactics and technology development, and some surprising characters.
Most of the action takes place in Siddermark in the land war, with a minimal amount of naval action. There are maps,
  • Perilous Shield (The Lost Stars, #2)
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Islands of Rage & Hope (Black Tide Rising, #3)
  • The Day of Battle (Exodus: Empires at War, #6)
  • Storm Surge (Destroyermen, #8)
  • Belisarius I: Thunder at Dawn (Belisaurius, #1-2)
  • Rex Regis (Imager Portfolio, #8)
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
  • The Nelson Touch (Ark Royal, #2)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Safehold (8 books)
  • Off Armageddon Reef (Safehold, #1)
  • By Schism Rent Asunder (Safehold, #2)
  • By Heresies Distressed (Safehold, #3)
  • A Mighty Fortress (Safehold, #4)
  • How Firm a Foundation (Safehold, #5)
  • Midst Toil and Tribulation (Safehold, #6)
  • Hell's Foundations Quiver (Safehold, #8)
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)