Start by marking “How to Date a Nerd (How To, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Date a Nerd (How To, #1)

How to Date a Nerd (How To #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  2,595 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
Zoe has a great pair of legs, perky boobs, and wears exactly what she needs to show it all off. She works hard for the easy sleazy ‘you only wish you were me’ reputation, burying who she really is—an all-out nerd.

The only time Zoe gets to be herself is when she hides under her comforter to read X-Men comics, sending jealousy stabs at everyone who attends Comic-Con. Keeping
Published September 24th 2013 by Swoon Romance (first published March 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Date a Nerd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Date a Nerd

Lisa Jayne
Nov 12, 2013 Lisa Jayne rated it it was amazing
5 PERFECTLY NERDY STARS

description

Cassie Mae is fast becoming my go-to-author for when I need a young adult sweet, funny fix. There are times when I crave a book that is cute, silly, predictable and full of all things 'Young love'. With that in mind that's just what I found here with this delightfully nerdy and at times touching novel. Welcome to 'How to date a nerd' a book that has that 'don't-stop-now-I'm-having-a-good-time' quality stamped all over it ... Here are my nerdy loving book thoughts.

description

What's it
Jenny Morris
Aug 27, 2013 Jenny Morris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I can not tell you how much I love this book. I too was a closet nerd in high school. I'd sneak home just in time for Star Trek. Zoe is so many girls out there in school right now. They want to be popular, want to fit it, and they are willing to do whatever it takes to make people love them. I think that's why I fell in love with her from the minute I read her list of rules. She's constructed this idea that the life she lives makes her happy but then a pesky little thing happens... Zak. How can ...more
P.A. Warren
10 STARS..But realistically we will give it 5 since thats they way it goes.

I received a ARC for an honest review

When I first heard Cassie was writing How to Date a Nerd I admit there may have been some happy dancing going on,Im not going to lie.When I hear that the awesome Cassie is writing another book your darn right Im going to get excited.
 photo tumblr_inline_msdctfXZcm1qz4rgp_zpsb37680e0.gif
Lets delve right in without any spoilers,mmmkay?Zoe is the epitome of mean girl at school.Not going to lie I envisioned Lindsey Lohan in the movie Mean
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Aug 15, 2013 Jo ★The Book Sloth★ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, contemporary
Yeap, I finished this one in one sitting. And yeah, I did love it. It was sweet and funny.

When I read books like this one or watch movies I always wonder if bullying is in fact so bad in US. Don't get me wrong, the phenomenon exists in Greece too but in all my years at school I never came across or even heard of so extreme cases. Of course some kids are teased and made fun of but not at this level. I've never known anyone who was thrown food, got beat up or ended up hiding in the toilet. Also, e
Rahmi
"Why the X-Men? Why this book? Why not the sisterhood of the what's-it pants book? Or The Notebook? Or a book at all? Why read this book?"
"Cause it's frakking awesome."
He chuckles. "Why?"
"Zak ..."
"Humor me."
Gosh, I'd do anything for him right now. Even talk nerd with him.
"I dunno. I guess 'cause they are all totally hated for being different and still the fight to save the people who hate them, and that's pretty heroic." I pause before adding, "And they are all super badass."

What I want after
♔Beth♔ XoXo
this book was just plain adorable. ❤ ❤ ❤

dork squad photo large_zps09c30e23.png

the book was just so refreshing. i really needed a quick, fluffy, cute book to read. after all the dark and depression books i've read. lol

this is a story of the popular Zoe who has the HOT on her next door neighbor who happens to be an ex-bff/nerd (major nerd) i'm talking about Pokemon cards in his front button up shirt pockets. Zoe has hard time dealing with her problems and who she really is.

baby photo large-1_zpseffe9cde.jpg

this book is was just too cute and unrealistic at some poin
Barbara ❅ Coldest Winter ❅
From time to time I like to read a cute and cheesy book. These books usually give me a warm feeling but they also come with a lot of cliches. How To Date a Nerd had cliches but not as many as I expected.

First, the main character is not so annoying. Zoe is the mean, narcissistic and shallow popular girl. But in middle school she was the Queen Nerd, bullied constantly. To escape all the pain she became Popular Zoe. In order to do so, she ditched her best friend/crush Zak and all of her interests:
Melyssa Winchester
The one thing I took away from this, well, besides the fits of laughter I found myself in throughout, is how true to life it is. This might be a fictional book, but the struggle Zoe faced, not being true to herself because of how people would treat her if she did, it's realistic. It's what a lot of teens face daily and I think that's what kept me going through the entire story because I wanted to see her realize that breaking away from the "norm" doesn't have to be such a bad thing.

This story r
Jade Hart
May 29, 2013 Jade Hart rated it it was amazing
This is hands down my favourite YA / NA read. I adore Zak. I want to hug Zoe. Everything about the nerdisms, the dialogue, the laugh-out loud awkwardness is perfect awesomesauce.

Highly recommend.
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
Although I was pretty frustrated with Zoe in the beginning, this turned out to be pretty good. Not as good as Reasons I Fell for the Funny Fat Friend, but better than Switched.

(Zak didnt have glasses, but this guy is hot so he is gonna be my Zak for now. :P)

I hated Zoe at first because of the way she behaved at school. She may have been just pretending to care about nothing but fashion and boys and herself, but in the process she put herself before everyone, she hurt people's feelings and she w
Lauren ♥ Inked in Chapters
Jul 11, 2013 Lauren ♥ Inked in Chapters rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
You can read this and other reviews at Madison Says

Here we go again with this big, goofy, stupid looking grin. I can’t wipe it off my face. Trust me, I’ve tried. My husband is beginning to worry about my sanity. It. Just. Will. Not. Leave. My. Face! My cheeks literally hurt. Cassie Mae, you are a frakking genius! The way you write… The storylines you dream up... All of it serves to further my opinion that YOU are a nerdy mastermind, hell bent on taking the literary world by storm. (Ha. Storm mad
Taylor
Sep 25, 2013 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I was reading this other book, and at the end had the first chapter of this book. After I finished it, I freaking searched my little heart out trying to find the rest of it, and a completely inhuman sound came out of me when I found out THE BOOK WASN'T EVEN FREAKIN OUT YET! So, like the stalker I am, I found Cassie on Facebook and was all like ‘What the hell, man? You can’t leave me hangin’ like that! GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!!!” So like the amazing author she is, ( and probably scared for ...more
Sofia Galvez
May 18, 2015 Sofia Galvez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nerdy, 2015
5 Platypires!

I literally one clicked this book based on the title alone. For those who don't know I have been on a quest for nerdy/geeky books but real nerdy books. Meaning the characters had to be wearing their geek flag high. Comic books, sci-fi shows, cosplay, gamers etc... not a book where the person is just socially awkward and is labeled a nerd. Just no!
"How to Date a Nerd" by Cassie Mae fit the bill. It was a cross of "The Summer I Became a Nerd" by Leah Rae Miller but written in the s
Vigilante
Oct 11, 2013 Vigilante rated it did not like it
I'll keep it short and simple. Zoe is your typical fictional character who manages to party hard yet keep her innocence. She redefines the word annoying! Her constant selfishness and ignorance to all those who love her is just unattractive and boring. Yet I had to finish this in one sitting, because when you meet Zak and Zoe you realize that your inner nerd is screaming for you to give the physcotic girl a chance! For all I knew Zoe was just the typical moron! Then I read that she played World o ...more
Maria Kaye
Mar 12, 2017 Maria Kaye rated it really liked it
This was so cute! I wish it was longer though, hope Levi has a book :)
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I love reads like these, I really do. Those that let you just get away for a couple of hours, cleanse your palate and give you a happily ever after when all is said and done in the end.

And even though I really did love this book, heck, I loved Zak, I would love to say I felt the same way about Zoe, but sadly I just didn't. I couldn't connect with her like I wanted to.

I liked her well enough but I couldn't get past all the hurt she did to Zak time and time again. How she treated him when others
Mimi Lovell
Feb 03, 2014 Mimi Lovell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friends-to-lovers, ya
I'm just going to jump right in and say.... I loved it! This was such a great book. I read it in one sitting. I couldn't get enough of it.
First we have Zoe, the once nerd, turned popular girl, who is faking everything about herself, just so people will forget that she was that girl at the nerd table in Jr High that read comics and knows everything there is to know about Lord of the Rings. And then we have Zak, the always was, always will be a nerd, completely embracing his nerd-dom. But, Zoe has
Lenore Kosinski
4.5 stars -- Yup, love this author. It's official. Zoe was so hard to love....don't get me wrong, I did. I guess I understood her, but just wanted her to start doing the right and better thing earlier. So I was conflicted...b/c she was more realistic. It's not an overnight change. And my heart just broke for her having to be someone she wasn't b/c she couldn't handle the teasing. I can empathize with that. I was lucky enough to find my group of people in high school, but what if I hadn't?? And Z ...more
Rachel Morgan
Sep 05, 2013 Rachel Morgan rated it really liked it
In a word, this book is CUTE! The dialogue, the awkward moments, the sweet, blushing romance, the nerd references, and Zak (woohoo!) all combine to produce one super cute book.

Zoe is a difficult character to like in the beginning, what with all her Popular Zoe meanness, but the author somehow pulls it off by showing us the real Zoe inside. We've all been there, haven't we? We want to be liked. Maybe envied. And who would find it easy to give that up once they have it? Zak is the opposite. Secur
Joood Hooligan
May 18, 2015 Joood Hooligan rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most adorkable books I have ever read, and that was GREAT!

I really have only one complaint. There are parts of the writing that put me off a bit. It could do with a bit of tweaking in the editing department.

I loved how emotionally attached I became to the characters, which is a major plus. I felt like I wanted to cry every time Zoe did. Even if she deserved it for her insolence!

Zac is flipping awesome. I agree with the panda express choice. It is glorious and I partake in that
Heather andrews
Sep 01, 2013 Heather andrews rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book it was quirky, cute, fun and Zak hubba, hubba! Zoe that girl has balls, "like every party night, I try to show off first to my neighbor, who can see straight into my open window. I strip down to my underwear so Zak can get a good look." Being in her mind is like a story all on it's own, "his holey jeans look so damn good on him." Zak has been hurt by Zoe one to many times and he actually grows some balls and let's her know where he stands with her at a certain (well a few certa ...more
Riley K.
Hands down Cassie Mae is one of the best Young Adult authors out there. She can hit you in the feels and make you laugh so hard that people think you have lost your mind. Zoe is the type of character that you feel like you know. She was tormented in middle school so she gave herself a makeover when high school hit.
There were times where I wanted to slap the snot out of her and tell her to be true to herself. The chemistry between her and Zak is undeniable. You just want to cheer for them. I es
Kelley Lynn
Aug 27, 2013 Kelley Lynn rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book, other than, it's awesome.

I'm not a 'nerd to the core'. In fact, about half the references in this book, I didn't even get. But Zoe gets it, and Zak gets it, and that's enough for me.

Zoe's not easy to like at first, but you feel for her. Cassie Mae does a wonderful job of giving us just enough back story so we understand why Zoe is the way she is.

And why its so hard for her to decide who she wants to become.

And Zak...well...Zak is one of the best book boys. He mak
Kyra
May 29, 2013 Kyra rated it it was amazing
This book is SO cute! Zoe loves the boy next door, but he happens to be a major geek. Zoe used to be a major geek, too, until she got sick of the teasing and ditched her nerdiness to become one of the most popular girls in school. What she didn't count on was the fact that, no matter what reputation you have, people will always have something to say about it.

Zoe's battle with her inner nerd is so well written. Many people in high school struggle to fit in, and often sacrifice who they really are
Esmeralda
This was just such a sad attempt at..........whatever this was. Seriously.
I was almost offended, I mean, I am kind of geeky and a bit of a nerd, so I can absotebly tell you this author didn't research all that much.
You can tell that she doesn't know what she's talking about.........like, at all. She only drops titles, names and terms left and right.
Zoe is sadly, kind of pathetic and yes, lost. But you just want to kill her not relate to her. I get that this a teen story, but not every teenager i
Katie W
Dec 28, 2013 Katie W added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
After 50 pages in...maybe it was my mood, but this wasn't really a book for me. Way too much language (crude talk and swearing--s, b especially). Zoe was so desperate to get Zak's attention that she would undress in front of the window where he could see, would always stuff her phone down her chest and slowly get it out, etc. There was also a scene where a boy tried to force a girl into doing something she didn't want to do. Nothing overly graphic, but a little uncomfortable, and then she tried ...more
J.A. Bennett
Aug 27, 2013 J.A. Bennett rated it it was amazing
Finally a book about how nerds are the best! I mean, who wouldn't love someone who's so passionate about life that they're willing to show that passion on the outside. I love, love, love Zach. He's so cute and totally the kind of guy I would date if I was single. Zoe grows so much throughout the book and by the end I was cheering for her. Like, literally clapping at the last paragraph. I already love Cassie's books, but this made me level up in that love.

Looking for a sweet, funny, romance that
Theresa Kay
Feb 21, 2014 Theresa Kay rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this total fandom explosion, especially the cafeteria speech :-) At first, I really didn't like Zoe all that much. As her character developed and more of her past was revealed, I did grow to like her. She's damn lucky that Zak put up with her that long though. There were a few times I wanted to smack her for how she treated him because he was amazing. A cute, sweet and smart guy? I'll take one of those over a bad boy any day.
Becky
Jul 14, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
Totally Nerdtastic!

I think Cassie Mae has got to be one of my favorite authors as she just knows how to make the sweet feel good but totally funny stories. As with everything else of hers i have read i felt connected to the characters and even if i didnt like what they were doing all the time i always liked and understood them and found i could relate to them.

I finished this in a few hours not being able to put it down and it left me with a big goofy grin on my face.
Stephanie Haefner
Nov 06, 2013 Stephanie Haefner rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2013
Really loved this book! I think all girls, and women, can relate to Zoe. The fear in being yourself when it isn't what's cool. The damage that ridicule can do to a young person. I liked that Zoe knew she did not deserve Zak , but couldn't help but want him. He was right to be hesitant to let her back in his life. So happy when she finally decided to be herself and let the chips fall where they may. Great read!
  • King Sized Beds and Happy Trails (Beds, #1)
  • The Funeral Singer
  • Pwned
  • Run for the Roses
  • Two Roads
  • The Accidental TV Star (Accidental #2)
  • Snark and Circumstance (Snark and Circumstance #1)
  • Class of '98
  • Lessons of the Heart
  • The Avery Shaw Experiment (Science Squad, #1)
  • Effortless With You (Effortless With You, #1)
  • Secret Life (RVHS Secrets #2)
  • The Unofficial Story of Kyle B. Johnston (Unofficial #2)
  • Dirt (HDU, #2)
  • Down 'N' Derby (Love and Skate, #3)
  • My Life From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy #3)
  • The Romeo Club
  • For the Rush (Playing for Keeps #3)
CASSIE MAE is the author of a few hundred—okay, maybe not that many—books, some of which became popular for their quirky titles, characters, and stories. She likes writing about nerds, geeks, the awkward, the fluffy, the short, the shy, the loud, the fun.

Since publishing her bestselling debut, Reasons I Fell for the Funny Fat Friend, she’s signed several Romance titles with Random House Loveswept,
More about Cassie Mae...

How To (3 books)
  • How to Seduce a Band Geek (How To, #2)
  • How to Hook a Bookworm (How To, #3)

“Erase the parts that make me unhappy. I guess that means emphasizing the parts that do.” 20 likes
“Okay, so I lied. He’s nothing like Peter Parker. He’s a bajillion times sexier than Peter Parker. Spiderman ain’t got nothing on Zak Gibbons.” 13 likes