Start by marking “The Alpha's Ardor (Wolves of Flathead, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Alpha's Ardor (Wolves of Flathead, #1)

The Alpha's Ardor (Wolves of Flathead #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Declan Adair and his twin brother Lachlan are wolf shifters with no home or pack and a dark past that makes them hated by other weres. Hunted and forced to separate, Declan finds himself chased north and straight into Flathead, a large sprawling territory that is home to a single massive pack.

Unsure and more afraid than he wants to admit, Declan’s situation is only made wo
Published May 21st 2013 by Evernight Publishing (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Alpha's Ardor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alpha's Ardor

Serena Yates
If you have ever wondered what it's like to be despised and even hunted and killed for something your family was forced into doing, then reading this story will give you a good idea. Declan and his twin brother are totally on their own, always in danger and on the run, and cannot trust anyone. They've managed to stay safe, but even when they're finally offered sanctuary they don’t dare to believe it's true. Their ability to trust is completely gone, and it takes a lot to get it back. I found the ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.75*

Finally, finally a mate-mine-growl-alpha-wolfy-book and not a stupid annoying alpha in sight.
*sigh*
I have had a bad run with my shifter books lately, either asshat alpha types or lots of tears and crying or just plain annoying plots being regurgitated time and time again.
Here there is an interesting ( if, as of yet underdeveloped) plot behind Declan and Lachlan's need to be on the run and trust no one.
They had to separate to escape this newest threat and Declan lands in one of the stronges
Gigi
I was pretty tired last night and didn't want to start anything long, so I grabbed this shorter book and was enjoying it, but, get this, fell asleep during the climatic finale sex scene! Literally woke up at about 3AM with my iPad on my chest. Whoops! I guess it just wasn't engrossing enough to keep me awake. But I read the end this morning and it was good and ended on a bit of a cliffhanger and I will be reading the second book.

Recommended for fans M/M of werewolf shifters. I hope we don't have
MandyM
Very short story in the m/m shifter erotica style where the series typically reaches 20+ books. It's nicely done but way too unsubstantial for my taste.
 ~♥ Elle ♥~
3.5 Stars

An enjoyable read. The author took her time in developing the MC's relationship and did not have a hurried mating as in the case of most shifter stories. When the couple came together at last, the scene was very sweet and passionate. I wished the story was longer and had more action. Can't wait for Lachlan's story!
Lucy
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews

This is the first in a new series and I thought it was a great beginning. Declan and Lachlan have a terrible past, one that was not their fault. It continues to haunt them, however, and they have no where they can really feel safe. When they are forced to separate when chased by persistent betas, Declan ends up in Flathead, home to a giant pack led by the alpha, Law, and his beta (and brother) Trace.

Law is a bad ass alpha that doesn’t need to throw his power a
Nika (Off to Neverland)
A short, cute story. My only complaints are that I wish it was a little longer and that there was more smut ;)

Otherwise, it was good and I'm waiting for book 2 =)
Candice
Nice start to a new shifter world series. I wish this being the first book it would have been longer, but it set up the characters and hopefully we will get to see more of Law and Declan in the next book. It was a nice change that the author didn't have them jumping in bed at the onset of the book and let things develop as much as it could with such a short book. I think it will be interesting once Lachlin in brought into the story and how the whole dynamic with Law, Declan, Lachlin and Trace pl ...more
multitaskingmomma
Series Review: Wolves of Flathead by by Rebecca Brochu

The Wolves of Flathead is a very romantic shape shifter story that focuses on twin weres Declan and Lachlan Adair. They had been on the run for a long time, after both parents decided they must be saved from the evils of the hunter clan that kept them as hunting dogs. Although both parents were killed in the process of escape, the twins were fast and had enough strength to get out and survive. And survive they did, in the wilderness and from
Riayl
May 28, 2013 Riayl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
Nice little story. Instant attraction but not really instant love and not instant sex. It was nice to see the author take time to develop the relationship instead of just jumping into the mating/sex. Not a whole lot of action, but still very enjoyable, though (as always) I would have been happy with a lot longer story. I really liked the characters, so looking forward to seeing more of them in the next book.
sheila
This was so short! I had no idea it was so short when I started reading and suddenly I was 50% done...
Such a great little story! loved all the characters and Lachlan even if he wasn't there physically I felt he was a huge part of it all, just really enjoyed reading it.
Law is one hot and passionate Alpha, just what Declan needed.
Kudos!
Lizzie
A quick read. Nice characters but I didn't care for the single POV. The writing was well done, no mistakes that I noticed. The ending felt unfinished, waiting for something more that didn't come.
Mandi
3.5 stars upped to 4. I enjoyed this shifter story. Would of loved to know more about Declan and Lachlan's life in captivity. Looking forward to Lachlan's story.
D
Nice start to a new series. Liked it a lot.
kimosumiko
This was really, really good. Much better than I was expecting it to be. Not only did this story have some plot, with well-thought out and explained pasts, good characters and a realistic development to the relationships, the sex at the end was definitely hot.

It's a fairly quick read and totally worth it. I love how Law and Declan are instantly attracted to each other and slowly open up to each other, Law offering Declan something he's never truly had before - safety and security - and Declan sl
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books
Declan and his twin, Lachlan, were born in captivity and used against their own kind by the hunters of werewolves. The Alpha’s Ardor by Rebecca Brochu begins with Declan running for his life, and barely escaping, when a pack he hoped to join found out who he really is. He crosses into another pack territory and is saved by the pack alpha, Law. Law recognized immediately that Declan is his mate. Declan, because of past treatment from other packs, is leery of believing he may have finally found a ...more
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
3 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Declan and his twin Lachlan are wolf shifters on the run, from other shifters and from human hunters managing to stay one step ahead of both groups until the day they are separated and Declan runs on to Flathead land. Flathead alpha, Law, is intrigued by the sexy shifter that is chased onto his land, he offers sanctuary for the persecuted shifter, but trust is hard for Declan and he wonders what payment is expected of him. Their attraction to each o
Tonileg
Short story M/M wolf shifter romance about twin brothers on the run because of their family's past crimes where they finally find a home.
Sweet romance with a little M/M loving. We find Declan Adair and his future home in Montana with a hot Alpha guy, Law. We hear conversations with the careful twin brother, Lachlan with obvious hints that there is romance in store with him and Trace (Law's Beta and younger brother).
Too quick to have too many thoughts except that this should have been longer with
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
Different and better than usual shifter story plot of meet and growl and "Mine!" and fast-paced nothing else matters and there are no other options. This actually had a story besides the romance, had the MC being downright sweetly courted for weeks and given a choice in the matter, had the basis for a continuation of the series, and was filled with great characters. Looking forward to continuing this series; I highly recommend it for shifter lovers.
Teetee
A decent shifter story, nothing new or groundbreaking here, but enjoyable all the same. The story focuses on the first of two twins and his love story. What I liked was that there was attraction but not insta love, nor insta bed-hoping. A proper courtship (by shifter standards) takes place. More intriguing than the story is the author is good at baiting the reader for the next installment and a possible future couple. I’m hooked-on the next!
Lasha
4.25 stars/Grade: A-

It takes a lot to surprise me these days, but The Alpha's Ardor was a pleasant surprise. What a lovely treat for this shifter fanatic! Ms. Brochu's take on the werewolf trope is refreshingly new and intriguing. Declan and Lachlan's backstory was different and compelling and completely integral to the plot.

Declan's love interest, Law wasn't your typical gruff, controlling Alpha, but instead caring and sweet to confused and afraid Declan. The hurt-comfort scenes were wonderful
Kayla
I actually enjoyed this book quite a bit, especially with how short it was.

I liked how the mating was a little different than standard shifter books, where they scent each other and fall instantly into mating lust. While there was attraction right away, there was no insta-bond. Gave the book a little more of a reality feel, in my opinion.

My only real complaints with this book: the length (I would have LOVED it if it was at least doubled), and a few editing mistakes (the biggest thing I noticed
Sue
This is a terrifically written touching warm love story. The characters of Law and Declan are destine mates. Law the alpha knows as soon as he smells Declan. I wish there would have been more of a character development for Law. We learned a lot about the twins Declan and Lachlan but not to much about the pack they are joining. I thought this was a great way for the Wolves of Flathead to begin. I'm hoping that the author is going to release the next book in this enchanting series soon. I HIGHLY R ...more
Aiva
Eeeeh well, what have I expected for a short story?
Instant love check
Cheasy check
Boring check
Okay i achieved my aims! Unfurtunatly
Candice
I liked Declan and Law. I find it quite surprising though about Law's pack. (view spoiler) Kind of weird. I guess I was looking for a little more conflict.
The TBR Pile *Book review site*

I especially liked the scenes were Law teased Declan with his words (great dirty talking!) and the way he made Declan seek him out to complete their bond. The paranormal world that this story was set in was well-fleshed out without boring the reader with too many descriptive paragraphs
and I was distinctly sad to reach the end of their story and finish the book. I look forward to reading more in this series.
Rachel
Very enjoyable beginning to the series. Declan and Lachlan are both interesting and I hope the author goes into more about their past in future books. The dynamic between Declan and Law was a much appreciated change of pace, yes they were instantly attracted to each other but they weren't instantly in-love and all over each other. The slow build-up gave the book a little more of a realistic feel to it; especially given Declan and Lachlan's past.
Winks
great book
Mike
A short, sweet book with very nice take on the insta-mate theme, I found this to be a very well written story that was much more natural and believable than most werewolf mating tales. For such a short piece, the protagonist's backstory was particularly interesting and innovative compared to many others in this genre. The characters were interesting and likable, although the brevity made me want more.
  • The Holy Trinity (The Wolves of Gardwich, #1)
  • Timber Pack Chronicles (Timber Pack Chronicles, #1)
  • Blue Mountain (Pack, #1)
  • Out of the Shadows
  • In Love with His Alpha Master (The Pregnant Mate, #1)
  • Alrik (C-7 Shifters #1)
  • Accidental Alpha (Pack Partners, #1)
  • Brac Pack Halloween Murder Mystery (Brac Pack, #32)
  • Never Say Never (Aberdeen Pack #3)
  • The Badass Of His Dreams
  • Surviving the Change
  • Strength of the Mate (The Tameness of the Wolf, #3)
  • Bloodlines (KinKaid Wolf Pack, #1)
  • A Tooth For a Fang (Leader Murders #1)
  • Just Like Cats and Dogs
  • Expecting His Alpha's Child (Lone Wolf Pack, #3)
  • An Impossible Mate (Strength of the Pack #1)
Rebecca spends most of her days crouched in front of a keyboard or curled up with a book.

As an avid video game and anime enthusiast, it is an understatement to say that she has a vivid imagination. With a collection of games, dvd's, and books that number too many to count she is often found neck deep in some fantasy world.
More about Rebecca Brochu...

Wolves of Flathead (2 books)
  • The Beta's Beloved (Wolves of Flathead, #2)
Undercover Lover The Beta's Beloved (Wolves of Flathead, #2) The Lawman's Librarian Next to You (Romance on the Go) The Baker Gets His Man