Start by marking “Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation” as Want to Read:
Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation

Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Jess Stearn was an experienced reporter and man of the world who viewed an invitation to a three-month study session of Hatha Yoga with extreme skepticism. But the experience transformed Stearn into a true believer.

This explains how this change came about and commends yoga as a remedy for problems of tension, weight control, sexuality and various other complaints.

Published 1978 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation

Aug 21, 2009 Rowan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Silly title, stupid marketing, and found on the shelf of every patchouli-reeking hippie of a certain age east of the Pacific coast. Yet it still doesn't stop this book from being awesome, entertaining, and informative, even upon multiple readings.
Karla Becker
Apr 22, 2010 Karla Becker added it
Shelves: spiritual
Like "Autobiography of a Yogi," I have also read this book at least five times. It was written in the 60's, reflecting the culture at the time, for example, drinking the diet drink my mother drank, "metracal." The author is a 50-some year old journalist who is out of shape, drinks whiskey and smokes cigarettes. He begins practicing yoga and after several months, is transformed.
Nina Harp
The yoga postion reference guide in the back of the book is priceless, full of specific instruction that is helpful when you are unsure of your positioning and also tells what each position is good at alleviating. I find myself going back through this book every so often, but its a great look at one man's journey to the healthier side of life. Very inspirational.
This is a book I will re-read over again, a classic in my opinion. Just like Eat to Live is my eating bible, this yoga book is my exercise bible. I recommend it to anyone who is ready to expand their knowledge of the importance of yoga.
I never made it all the way to the end of the story proper of this book and yet I have found the appendix of yoga positions and descriptions invaluable and have built a yoga routine of 17 years from it. So I adored the appendix and couldn't make it through the story. How do I rate that?
This book was good, and very progressive for it's age (published in 1956), despite a few closed-minded references to homosexuality and women here and there. But again, it was 1965, and it was more the author's speculation than anything tangible.
Speaking of, I did enjoy this book, but I wish I knew how much of it, or what things in particular, were factual. From what I've briefly read on Jess Stearn, he was definitely a "new age" writer, touching on things like spirituality, the occult, reincarna
this has been an interesting and curious book which has provided me really pleasant post-sauna reading. very much belonging to the seventies, i think i most enjoyed it for it's other-time qualities. however, i hit the chapter about diet and the passages on how the author's "yoga guru" excludes a promising yogi because she feels the yogi's figure (too chubby) is a "bad advertisement" for yoga. ...okay. this dubious chapter was followed by the chapter on sex, and i just started to feel like my tim ...more
Great book. Interesting and informative. I have bought it several times.
Hashim-asaad Shabazz
Favorite Book
Daniel Duval
Typical 1960's new age book. In that sense I found it interesting from a historical perspective. It does a good job of conveying the physical, mental and spiritual yoga philosophy. There is extensive directions on actual practice that is laid out in the appendices and regiments to follow from beginner to advanced.
C Krengel
I read this for the first time in 1968, the re-read it several times. Picked it up 45 years later and still found it riveting. Looked up Marcia Moore online to see if she was still around & practicing yoga. Was shocked to discover her death a decade later is unsolved...
Jinjer Stanton
This book was seminal for me because it took the pure philosophy of yoga that I learned in college and gave it some grounding. This book has stayed with me and I still use information from it in teaching my own classes 30 years later.
VERY good book! Even though it was written in 1965, it was very pertinent to today. Anyone who is doing yoga and meditation can relate to this book and his beginning journey.
Lindsey Lemmons
This book changed my life and I still read portions of it on occasion.
Awesome book
Lorrie marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Jj marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Ed added it
Nov 09, 2015
Aske Povl Hansen
Aske Povl Hansen marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Roger marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Jaser marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Alain marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Marisol marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lessons from the Light: What We Can Learn from the Near-Death Experience
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class
  • The Hundredth Monkey
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary with Access Code
  • Adulterers Anonymous
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Western Region
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness
  • The Soup Bible
  • The Pill Book
  • Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan
  • The Presence Process: A Healing Journey Into Present Moment Awareness
  • The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity: A Modern Practical Guide to the Ancient Way
  • The Eternal Now
  • Real Magic
  • Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West
  • The Perricone Prescription: A Physician's 28-Day Program for Total Body and Face Rejuvenation