Start by marking “Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation” as Want to Read:
Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation

Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Jess Stearn was an experienced reporter and man of the world who viewed an invitation to a three-month study session of Hatha Yoga with extreme skepticism. But the experience transformed Stearn into a true believer.

This explains how this change came about and commends yoga as a remedy for problems of tension, weight control, sexuality and various other complaints.

Paperback
Published 1978 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation

Rowan
Aug 21, 2009 Rowan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Silly title, stupid marketing, and found on the shelf of every patchouli-reeking hippie of a certain age east of the Pacific coast. Yet it still doesn't stop this book from being awesome, entertaining, and informative, even upon multiple readings.
Karla Becker
Apr 22, 2010 Karla Becker added it
Shelves: spiritual
Like "Autobiography of a Yogi," I have also read this book at least five times. It was written in the 60's, reflecting the culture at the time, for example, drinking the diet drink my mother drank, "metracal." The author is a 50-some year old journalist who is out of shape, drinks whiskey and smokes cigarettes. He begins practicing yoga and after several months, is transformed.
Nina Harp
The yoga postion reference guide in the back of the book is priceless, full of specific instruction that is helpful when you are unsure of your positioning and also tells what each position is good at alleviating. I find myself going back through this book every so often, but its a great look at one man's journey to the healthier side of life. Very inspirational.
Rebekah
I never made it all the way to the end of the story proper of this book and yet I have found the appendix of yoga positions and descriptions invaluable and have built a yoga routine of 17 years from it. So I adored the appendix and couldn't make it through the story. How do I rate that?
Maria
This is a book I will re-read over again, a classic in my opinion. Just like Eat to Live is my eating bible, this yoga book is my exercise bible. I recommend it to anyone who is ready to expand their knowledge of the importance of yoga.
Ryan
This book was good, and very progressive for it's age (published in 1956), despite a few closed-minded references to homosexuality and women here and there. But again, it was 1965, and it was more the author's speculation than anything tangible.
Speaking of, I did enjoy this book, but I wish I knew how much of it, or what things in particular, were factual. From what I've briefly read on Jess Stearn, he was definitely a "new age" writer, touching on things like spirituality, the occult, reincarna
tamarack
this has been an interesting and curious book which has provided me really pleasant post-sauna reading. very much belonging to the seventies, i think i most enjoyed it for it's other-time qualities. however, i hit the chapter about diet and the passages on how the author's "yoga guru" excludes a promising yogi because she feels the yogi's figure (too chubby) is a "bad advertisement" for yoga. ...okay. this dubious chapter was followed by the chapter on sex, and i just started to feel like my tim ...more
Hashim-asaad Shabazz
Favorite Book
Daniel Duval
Typical 1960's new age book. In that sense I found it interesting from a historical perspective. It does a good job of conveying the physical, mental and spiritual yoga philosophy. There is extensive directions on actual practice that is laid out in the appendices and regiments to follow from beginner to advanced.
C Krengel
I read this for the first time in 1968, the re-read it several times. Picked it up 45 years later and still found it riveting. Looked up Marcia Moore online to see if she was still around & practicing yoga. Was shocked to discover her death a decade later is unsolved...
Jinjer Stanton
This book was seminal for me because it took the pure philosophy of yoga that I learned in college and gave it some grounding. This book has stayed with me and I still use information from it in teaching my own classes 30 years later.
Amee
VERY good book! Even though it was written in 1965, it was very pertinent to today. Anyone who is doing yoga and meditation can relate to this book and his beginning journey.
Lindsey Lemmons
This book changed my life and I still read portions of it on occasion.
Amy
Awesome book
Kevin Monte
Kevin Monte marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Julia Legian
Julia Legian marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Kelsey Loughran
Kelsey Loughran marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Sydney Bright
Sydney Bright marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Tine!
Tine! marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Fausto Guzzo da costa
Fausto Guzzo da costa marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Annag
Annag added it
Nov 17, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness
  • Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan
  • Real Magic
  • The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity: A Modern Practical Guide to the Ancient Way
  • Body Language
  • The Only Dance There Is
  • Fit for Life II
  • A Woman's Book of Life
  • Strangers Among Us
  • The Eternal Now
  • The "Unknown" Reality, Vol. 1: A Seth Book
Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet The Search for a Soul: Taylor Caldwell's Psychic Lives The Search for the Girl with the Blue Eyes: A Venture Into Reincarnation In Search of Taylor Caldwell Soulmates