Start by marking “Learning to Love Africa: My Journey from Africa to Harvard Business School and Back” as Want to Read:

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  6 reviews
From the remote mountains of Liberia to the epicenter of New York City, Monique Maddy's life has been an extraordinary journey from an idyllic community to the chaos of city living. But Learning to Love Africa is far more than an exile's dream of return. Sent to the west at the tender age of six by her doting father, Maddy has spent her entire life struggling to reclaimher ...more
Published April 13th 2004 by HarperBusiness (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Love Africa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Love Africa

Jen
At the end of the book, Maddy mentions that her professor suggested she write about her experiences to work through them. This book does seem more to be therapy for her, a chance to prove how she is right and how everyone else from co-workers more interested in vacations than business to inefficient NGO's led to her lack of success in business. It probably is an interesting case study for someone looking at free-market economic development in Africa, but it is definitely from a very specific per ...more
Nancy Mcdaniel
interesting but a little more detailed about finance and investment than i cared for
Nicolas Sansone
At its best when it focuses on the human elements of Maddy's life experiences, but, yes, it does get rather ax-to-grind-ish. I'm sure she could have found a subtler and more professional way to diss her interns. That said, I agree with her politics, which made the book a fun experience for me; likely if I were less sympathetic to her agenda, it would have just irritated me.
Nadine
Definitely makes one who is interested in internationally development as a career rethink their decision. Found some parts to be very cynical. But Maddy however did do a good thorough job in explaining the history of her country Liberia.
Tracy
Amazing story. I received this book as a gift from a friend who was working with Monique (the author) at Google, when Monique was an Entrepreneur In Residence there. Fascinating life, experiences and views.
Rachel
I learned a lot about Liberia from this book, she did an amazing job of weaving her story into the recent history of Liberia and I learned a few tidbits about the Harvard School of Business.
Sbwabyegmail.com
Sbwabyegmail.com marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Hannah Killion
Hannah Killion marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Luciano Andrade
Luciano Andrade marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Diane
Diane added it
Jan 13, 2013
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2010