The Death of Mr. Love

The Death of Mr. Love

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The reverberations from the Nanavati society murder in 1950s Bombay were so great they reached the offices of Prime Minister Nehru. However a second, connected crime went unreported. Now the children of the two victims return to India to uncover the mystery of the crime and exact their revenge.
Published June 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster (Trade Division) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Mr. Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Mr. Love

Smitha
The Death of Mr Love is based on a real life incident, the Nanavati murder in the late 1950s. The blurb says.. The reverberations from the notorious Nanavati society murder in 1950s Bombay – the fatal consequence of an affair between an Indian playboy and his married English lover – were so great that the reached the offices of Prime Minister Nehru and irrevocably changed the face of the Indian justice system.

The author weaves a fictional tale using the backdrop of the murder case. Bhalu, in mod...more
Baljit
A tale that alternates between India in the 1950's and present day England. Events in the past have affected lives, and this leads to regret and result in a search for the truth, but can actions be undone and at what expense....
I felt the storyline was great in the beginning, but towards the final 100 pages, dragged out a bit and lost momentum.

Quotable passage:
Karma is such bitter knowledge. No angel waits on the far side of death to slap a writ on me. I shall not be judged before the great...more
Catherine Siemann
Most of what I knew about the Nanavati love-triangle murder trials in 1950s India were based on Salman Rushdie's fictionalized Sabramati family in Midnight's Children; I had no idea the real-life wife was English, for example, or more significantly, that it undermined the jury trial in the Indian justice system. Sinha's novel, which exists on the borders of the Nanavati murders with the the aftermath the case causes in the life of the family and friends of another of "Mr. Love"'s mistresses, is...more
Mitch
Mr. Sinha has done something interesting here...he's started with a real historical event and then added a few fictional layers to come up with an interesting read. The characters are well-drawn,the plot convoluted and the ending satisfying.

However, the central plot points pivot around some of the worst of human behavior- betrayal, sexual infidelity, blackmail, murder...and all of the psychological ramifications that follow. There is some rancid evil at the core of this book's mystery and it is...more
Jenny
A very long mystery! I loved the stories and intrigue; this was more about the characters than India (or England), though the landscapes and backgrounds were a big plus for me. I also enjoyed the history and the contrast between city life and village life in India. Not my favorite "India" novel, but a great one on its own.
Elaine
I loved this book! What an intricate web the author weaved! The characters are so human - flawed, good, bad etc. The story line was good, it was an actual court case, with this story woven around it. Very well written, quick read and definitely engaging with the characters of the book!
Amy
very rarely do i pick up a bargain book and it's actually good. this one i got for, like, a dollar, and i was pleasantly surprised. it could be my unending interest for books about india though. this one melds urban legend, fidelity, and a mystery together to make a good soup.
Neha
The book is tough to start seeing its size and does not gain momentum in the beginning. But if you don't quit at that time, it becomes really interesting in the middle.
Though i didn't quite like the end as i was expecting some more clearity but otherwise a nice read.
A family intrigue based around the true Nanvati murder trials for the murder of Prem Ahuja.
Bahlu was quite sypmathetic but grown up Phoebe just annoyed me.
I loved the childhood reminisences but not so much modern day India.
Frances
This fictional novel is closely woven around a real-life murder in 1950's India. It paints a vivid picture of the country and its politics. A very worthwhile and informative read.
Rosie
So liked parts of this book... But I eventually got so bored with it that I didn't finish... I might pick it up again someday
Pamk
An interesting book - I particularly enjoyed the details of life in India in the 1950's.
Larissa Kosits
LOTS about India in this book! Its almost a primer on culture, languages, the country-side itself.
Anitauf
i have this book sitting on my shelf... i doubt i will ever get to it!!!
Pamela
Great story... loved the historical picture it painted.
Cason
Aug 12, 2007 Cason marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Author on Booker long list (2007)
Mohd Danish
read before die
Ashley
Really good first book.
Darina Georgieva
Darina Georgieva marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Liz
Liz is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Beth S.
Beth S. marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Smwaran Waran
Smwaran Waran marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Ankita Goswami
Ankita Goswami marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Indra Sinha (born in 1950 in Colaba, which is part of Mumbai in the state of Maharashtra, India) is a British writer of English and Indian descent. Formerly a copywriter for Collett Dickenson Pearce & Partners, Sinha has the distinction of having been voted one of the top ten British copywriters of all time.

Indra Sinha's books, in addition to his translations of ancient Sanskrit texts into Eng...more
More about Indra Sinha...
Animal's People The Cybergypsies The Great Book of Tantra: Translations and Images from the Classic Indian Texts Los amigos de Animal Yokhi