Start by marking “Diseasing of America: How We Allowed Recovery Zealots and the Treatment Industry to Convince Us We Are Out of Control” as Want to Read:

Diseasing of America is a classic that marked a turning point in the addictions field. Stanton Peele dared to assert that while alcoholism and drug-taking may be addictions, they are not diseases. In this plainspoken and courageous critique of America's approach to addiction, Peele attacks the "addiction as disease" model promoted by Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous, and ...more
Published January 22nd 1999 by Jossey-Bass (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Diseasing of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diseasing of America

Abailart
Feb 15, 2014 Abailart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written some ime ago and dealing with the USA, Peele's message is even more relevant today. Extrapo;ating claims of the addictions industrusties it would seem that there is a larger population of addicts in America than there is a population of people! We are all supposed to be addicts now, all victims of genetic or biological or brain disease. We all need help, and we will pay good money for it.

Addictio as a disease is a myth. Peele shows why. Throw away your snake oil. charms, higher powers am
Robert Beveridge
Feb 11, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Stanton Peele, The Diseasing of America 2/E (Lexington, 1995)

There are two types of people in the world: those the recovery zombies have already attacked, and those they will. It doesn't matter if you don't drink and don't smoke, they'll find something else about which you're "diseased"-- perhaps you enjoy shopping, you like to eat, you spend a couple of weekends per year in Vegas. Did you know these are all symptoms of diseases? Oh, you didn't? Well, they are. Don't believe it? You must be in d
Fishface
Mar 03, 2016 Fishface rated it it was amazing
Well-researched, well-thought-out, well-written book takes issue with some of the destructive ideas salted away inside the Twelve-Step philosophy. A very empowering read with major policy implications.
Lukas Szrot
Feb 24, 2014 Lukas Szrot rated it it was amazing
This was a breath of fresh air, a truly consciousness-raising book about how behavior problems being labeled diseases is both impeding our ability to deal with them and thwarting individual senses of efficacy and accountability. To believe for example, that a person who drinks too much has a bad habit and should abstain or cut down rather than saddling them with the label 'alcoholic' and declaring that because they drink too much at this point in their lives they have a chronic, progressive illn ...more
Ellis Amdur
Jan 16, 2015 Ellis Amdur rated it liked it
An indictment of the current common “wisdom” that deviant behavior – drug and alcohol addiction, gambling, overeating, too much or the wrong kind of sex, even crime – is a disease. The book is somewhat dated - but still relevant, as this false epidemic, which defines people as helpless against their desires and compulsions is all the more prevalent today.
Doreen
Oct 14, 2008 Doreen rated it did not like it
This is the fourth book by Stanton Peele saying the same thing and making the same claims. It's hard to argue with the millions of people who have achieved sobriety through AA, but he continues to try. I'd like to see scientific, quantitative research from his next.
Michael T. McComb
Feb 27, 2009 Michael T. McComb rated it really liked it
Stanton does a great job of opening your eyes to the broken addiction recovery system in place here in the United States.
Deborah Carroll
Sep 17, 2014 Deborah Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, psychology
Very good, I just keep bumping it to read other things...
Excellent book with dynamic, practical points-
Tamara J.
Tamara J. is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2016
Lois Reed
Lois Reed marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Tom Dubsky
Tom Dubsky is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Tim Dick
Tim Dick marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Lee Mccluskey
Lee Mccluskey rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
B
B rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Allodapos Tasos Sambar
Allodapos Tasos Sambar rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
K Ryan
K Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Nik
Nik marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Kasee Hall
Kasee Hall marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
lynn werley
lynn werley marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Ryan
Ryan added it
Jun 27, 2015
HughDeLong
HughDeLong marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Susan Wise
Susan Wise rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Diane Grosche
Diane Grosche marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015