To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)

To Love Anew (Sydney Cove #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,350 ratings  ·  141 reviews

John Bradshaw was a successful businessman whose untamed spirit sometimes wanted more. When he is betrayed by those closest to hi...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Revell

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Best Christian Historical Fiction
292nd out of 794 books — 818 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversA Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist
Christian Historical Romance Favorites
206th out of 402 books — 315 voters

More lists with this book...

Julia Bauer
I got this book as a freebie for my Nook tablet. I wasn't sure if how much I would like it, but decided to give it a go. The first few chapters were difficult to get into. I think the writer could have done a bit better developing the story and the characters in the beginning, but once I got past the first few chapters I was hooked. I know other readers have commented that they didn't like how much sadness and hardship there was in the book. Personally, this is one of the things I loved most, no...more
Michelle
To Love Anew is an amazing journey you won't want to miss. There are some pretty edgy scenes in this book, which of course worked well for me. However, someone else may find a few things a bit hard to read because they were SO realistically done. I felt like I was Hannah suffering through the majority of the book. The stench, the pain, the heartache were all vividly portrayed. I doubt I would have survived what Hannah went through and may have given up hope long before. But Hannah was a survivor...more
Sally906
Having got not one, but three convicts in our family tree I really related to this historical romance. Two of our convicts were married to each other – he had his ticket of leave and then he chose her as a wife from the woman’s prison factory and they went on to have a long marriage, many children and a very successful general store. Their daughter married the third convict in our family tree. So we know a little bit about our Aussie convicts and their history. Bonnie Leon has really done her re...more
Cari
When I finally got into the story, I enjoyed this tremendously! It's not your average Christian book that is sprinkled with some light problems here and there. This book was tinted with despair, sin, revenge... along with redemption (I actually teared up once or twice). This certainly was a gripping tale, although the ending seemed much too abrupt. I understand there are two other books to the series, however, so I will have to overlook the curt ending, and hurry up and get the next books!
5 sta...more
Tina Pinson
To Love Anew was a tough book to read. Not because the story wasn't interesting or the writing wasn't good. But To Love Anew takes a hard look at the inequalities of those with affluence and those without in mid-1800's England.

Hannah Talbot had a decent life being a seamstress with her mother, but when her mother dies, Hannah is thrown into a world unlike any she's known. She is kicked out of her home, and can't get work to continue her mother's business because of a selfish customer. So she ta...more
Chandra
AUTHOR: Bonnie Leon is an Inspirational romance writer. Her ability to bring emotions to the top will have you thinking about your relationship with God. Amazing! She has the ability to describe every event and give you the feeling that you were there at that moment, at that time. Her use of scripture is right on target. Great job Bonnie....and I don't even personally know you. Great job!

THIS BOOK GENRE: Fiction, Historical romance, Inspirational romance

SETTING: London England when it took 6 mo...more
Lisa Tortorello
I decided to read "To Love Anew" because Amazon was offering it free on Kindle. I knew of the author Bonnie Leon through Facebook, but I wasn't sure I would be very interested in her story. Wow! Did free pay off...Bonnie Leon captured my attention from the beginning of her story!

Hannah loses her mother, her business, her home, and virtually all her possessions. One small act gets her banished from London and sent off to a harsher reality than she ever imagined. It was during these trials and tri...more
Tiffany Wacaser
I chose this book thinking that it would really deal with redemption and grace. I hope the author meant well, but just couldn't communicate the true meaning of redemption and grace. Since this book is so terrible, I feel no problems with revealing the plot.

The story revolves around Hannah and John. Hannah is a young seamstress, whose mother dies, leaving Hannah destitute and desperate in England. Hannah is forced to take work as a scullery maid at the home of a prominent judge. The judge pursue...more
Louise
Story Description:

Baker Publishing Group | August 1, 2007 | Trade Paperback | ISBN: 978-0-8007-3176-2
Historical Fiction | Sydney Cove Series #1 |

Hannah Talbot has no one. Forced to leave the only home she's ever known, she works for a cruel employer who brutally takes the one thing she has left--her dignity. When she is banished from London, she is certain God has turned his back on her. John Bradshaw was a successful businessman whose untamed spirit sometimes wanted more. When he is betrayed by...more
Diane A Brown
Life… It only takes a moment to be trodden down, forgotten, and cast aside like garbage...

19th Century New South Wales could be a pleasant place to live, if you had money. But those who challenged the upper class received severe and unwarranted punishment.

When Hannah looses her mother to an untimely death, it sends her spiraling downward, like a whirlpool. Frazzled, one poor choice tumbles into desperate actions. The penalty is unimaginable.

John should be happy. He has a successful tool busines...more
Heidi
ok, I've read other books by this author and loved her. This one I wasn't so keen on. I loved the history and the fact that it wasn't another cheery little Christian novel where nothing terribly bad ever happens and life is grand and families are wonderful blah blah blah...
this is not an easy read. It's dark and seems terribly hopeless. Bad things happened to good people! One part that really disturbed me was there was never an explanation about why she lost her baby except the fact that she pra...more
Christy
This was a Kindle freebie from Pixel of Ink. Despite some poor reviews, I enjoyed this book. To Love Anew is just one book in a series if 4. This is an amazing journey you won't want to miss. Some readers may find some scenes edgy or difficult to read, because they seemed so realistic, which worked well for me. Hannah, one of the main characters is suffering the loss of her mother and now she is being evicted from the only home she ever knew. Poor and destitute, she has nowhere to turn, so despi...more
Penny
I got this book free on my Kindle from Amazon, and I chose it because it was by a Christian author and the subject was convicts coming to Australia. I'm an Aussie and there aren't always a lot of Christian fiction books written about Australia, so I jumped at it. And I wasn't disappointed!! The story and description of the convicts voyage to Australia to me seemed real and well written and true to what I remember learning in school or having read before. The romance thread of the book wasn't the...more
Jan Springer
Another wonderful series by Ms. Leon. I thoroughly enjoyed book 1 "To Love Anew". Ms. Leon made me fall in love with Hannah and John. I felt so bad for Rachel when she was kicked out of her place, and what happened to her with the judge. The prison ship scenes are wrenching. Just when I had lost hope for Hannah and John, Ms. Leon surprised me and I had hope for the couple again. Great start to the "Sydney Cove" series. Highly recommend this read to Bonnie Leon fans and to readers who are interes...more
Katrina
To Love Anew will remind you that things can always get worse and to cherish what you have, no matter how small. It was very well written and kept me wanting more. I was both amazed and horrified by how people can treat one another. It shows how the court systems back in the past weren't exactly fair to say the least.

As i read the book i felt very connected with the characters and it seemed as if I were there with them. The sickness, the stench, the heartbreak, and the betrayal will make you th...more
Kristen
The first few chapters were difficult to get into. I think the writer could have done better developing the story and the characters in the beginning, but once I got past the first few chapters I enjoyed it a lot more. There are some hard "scenes" to read but were thankfully detailed enough to get the point without going over the top and making me feel sick. The characters responses to these hardships were realistic and their strength compelled me to continue reading through their journey.
Timpy
I loved this story!! It was a little slow to begin with, but then it became so good I didn't want to put it down. The hardships that befall Hannah and John were described in such detail, Ms. Leon really did a wonderful job on her research. I cried when Hannah told her employer about what happened in London and on the ship, it was heartbreaking. I can't wait to read the next installment, I want to know how Hannah and John's story continues.
Kristelle
I thought this book was gripping from the beginning. I normally don't jump into a story quite as fast as I did with this one. I loved how Hannah seemed like a real person in her trial of faith and that she was able to find a few good friends even with her situation. My only complaint is that the love story aspect was developed very well. I am interested to see what happens in the next couple of books with Hannah.
Julie Surface
One of the things I appreciate about Bonnie Leon's books is that they are so well-researched. To Love Anew is no exception. Banished to an Australian prison, Hannah Talbot feels abandoned by God and everyone else. Through amazing circumstances, she crosses paths with John Bradshaw who has similarly suffered unfair treatment. This is a great story that keeps you turning pages to the very end!
Dora Okeyo
I loved this book because at times things keep getting worse and no matter how much you pray it seems as though God has forgotten you and this is how Hannah Talbot feels. I felt sorry for her, she loses her mom, their shop and then is raped by Mr. Walker who later sentences her to such slavery and it was sad really.
I loved how the characters still managed to achieve their dreams in the end.
Brandi
I really really liked this book. I started it expecting a quick summer read and was surprised as it got REALLY good. It was quick readbc I was sointerested n what was next. I am glad I didnt really know what it was about until I read it. I did not read any of the reviews before so had no idea what was to happen until I read it myself. Good choice for me. Started book 2 last night. :)
Heidi
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the author and had a hard time putting it down, but yet there were a few scenes in the book that made me uncomfortable. (Not bad, mind you....it is a Christian author)Hard to explain without giving a lot of the book away. That is why I gave it a 3 star rating instead of 4. I think I will read the next book in the series.
Christy Hall-scheufele

I also got this book as a freebie for my kindle fire but I have always wanted to read one of Bonnie's books. This series really help me through the recent suicide of a dear friend that I considered a daughter. The uplifting verses helped me get through this difficult time remembering that there is hope. Thanks Bonnie for a great series!!
Loraine
A well written and very interesting story about the transportation of some male and female convicts from England to Australia. The main characters Hannah and John portray a heart wrenching but faith-filled story of how easily people were convicted and transported during that time period, yet how God could turn circumstances around for good.
Karen Logan
loved this book. Could not put it down. It was sweet and thought provoking at the same time. I'm not very familiar with the time period and with the conditions prevalent in England at the time where people were punished for almost nothing and sent off on prison ships in very inhumane conditions. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Alyse
I liked this book...I found it for free on my nook and it was surprisingly good. It is a sweet love story that is totally clean and just makes you feel good. I actually liked it enough to buy the 2nd and 3rd books that were both just as good and sweet!
Tiffany
Clean, fun read that kept me interested until the very end. I did get a little annoyed with Hannah's inability to forgive herself, so it got 4 stars instead of 5. But, I liked the series enough that I will read the other books.
Becky
Sep 11, 2007 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction buffs
This historical fiction book began in England
in 1804 and showed the horror of prison ships
and servitude of prisoners in a far land.
This book was so good that I want to read more
of Bonnie Leon's books.
Karen
My heart went out to all the prisioners on the ship. I know from my love of history that a good percentage of prisioners never made it, this story warms the heart and soal with their trust in God.
Melody Fitzgerald
Bonnie Leon is another great author that will make you feel like you are almost experiencing the characters story yourself. This is a great book that will be hard to put down once you start.
  • A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)
  • Ruby (Dakotah Treasures, #1)
  • Surrender the Wind
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
  • A Texan's Honor (Heart of a Hero #2)
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
  • Paper Roses (Texas Dreams, #1)
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers #1)
  • Heiress (Daughters of Fortune, #1)
  • Valeria's Cross
  • Prize of My Heart (Sea Heroes of Duxbury)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • A Dream Unfolding (Prescott Pioneers, #1)
  • Lady in the Mist (The Midwives, #1)
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • The Narrow Path
Touching the Clouds (Alaskan Skies, #1) Longings of the Heart (Sydney Cove, #2) Wings of Promise (Alaskan Skies, #2) Enduring Love (Sydney Cove, #3) Joy Takes Flight (Alaskan Skies, #3)