Start by marking “Emeline at the Circus” as Want to Read:
Emeline at the Circus

Emeline at the Circus

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
From Caldecott Honor artist and author of the best-selling How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World comes a hilarious picture book romp about the things you can learn and the fun you can have at the circus. When Emeline's teacher, Miss Splinter, takes the second grade on a field trip to the circus, she's careful to make sure it's a learning experience. While she reads -- ...more
Published April 20th 1999 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Emeline at the Circus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emeline at the Circus

Brian James
Nov 13, 2010 Brian James rated it it was amazing
On a trip to the circus with her class, second grader Emeline gets more than a front row seat when she's unsuspectedly snatched into the action by an elephant craving her peanuts.

Emeline's teacher is determined to make the circus a learning lesson for her students. Never glancing up from her book of facts, she reads off information on each new attraction that enters the ring. She's so involved in teaching that she doesn't notice one of her students has become the hilarious star of the show.

The m
Courtney
Oct 30, 2014 Courtney rated it it was ok
Shelves: edrd-314
This book is a good example of illustrations that don't jive with the text. This book can be used as a discussion point when talking about conflicting illustrations. The pictures in this book kid of many me dizzy, there is an awful lot going on.
Karen
May 23, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
I loved Zin, Zin, Zin a Violin, so I was really disappointed with this book. There is a such a disconnect between the dry facts and the insanely whimsical illustrations, it is hard to believe that are parts of the same book.
jacky
Sep 10, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
Natalie has been into the circus a bit recently, so I was looking for a good book about the circus for her. This one was out on display at the library, so I gave it a try. It worked alright. We could look at the pictures to see the animals and attractions of the circus, but the text was really for older kids. In the actual story, the teacher leading the field trip keeps telling the kids (boring) factual information about the circus attractions, meanwhile, Emeline is pulled into the circus. The j ...more
Micah
Nov 01, 2015 Micah rated it really liked it
Abstract, adventure to the zoo, informational, cute
Amy
Mar 26, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This is a funny book about a class on a field trip to the circus. They listen to their teacher tell them about each different animal or artist that comes on stage during the circus. She also explains the species name and a fact about each animal, which I thought was a good way to blend science into the story. I would read this with students and have them point out the different entertainers at the circus and if the animals live in the wild, as well as the scientific facts about them, and so on.
Brooke
This was a book that I read to my little sister many times. It is a great book for young readers to practice their reading and young audiences will enjoy. There are many fun facts about animals as well as colorful pictures to look at.
Samantha Penrose
Aug 09, 2009 Samantha Penrose rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
The synopsis given above is spot on...including the suggested age.
I found that this book offers unique information, but isn't really all that exciting to read...
Sarah rated it it was ok
May 31, 2016
Olivia
Olivia added it
Jan 12, 2016
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Kayce Johnson
Kayce Johnson rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Kanako
Kanako added it
Nov 30, 2015
Wesley
Wesley marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Patsy Williams
Patsy Williams rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
A
A rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
yesenia leailhoa saucedo
yesenia leailhoa saucedo marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Paul Black
Paul Black rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Maura
Maura marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Diana
Diana rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2015
Janna C
Janna C marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Taryn Kost
Taryn Kost rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2014