Start by marking “Emeline at the Circus” as Want to Read:
Emeline at the Circus

Emeline at the Circus

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  6 reviews
From Caldecott Honor artist and author of the best-selling How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World comes a hilarious picture book romp about the things you can learn and the fun you can have at the circus. When Emeline's teacher, Miss Splinter, takes the second grade on a field trip to the circus, she's careful to make sure it's a learning experience. While she reads -- ...more
Published April 20th 1999 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Emeline at the Circus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emeline at the Circus

Brian James
On a trip to the circus with her class, second grader Emeline gets more than a front row seat when she's unsuspectedly snatched into the action by an elephant craving her peanuts.

Emeline's teacher is determined to make the circus a learning lesson for her students. Never glancing up from her book of facts, she reads off information on each new attraction that enters the ring. She's so involved in teaching that she doesn't notice one of her students has become the hilarious star of the show.

The m
Courtney
This book is a good example of illustrations that don't jive with the text. This book can be used as a discussion point when talking about conflicting illustrations. The pictures in this book kid of many me dizzy, there is an awful lot going on.
jacky
Natalie has been into the circus a bit recently, so I was looking for a good book about the circus for her. This one was out on display at the library, so I gave it a try. It worked alright. We could look at the pictures to see the animals and attractions of the circus, but the text was really for older kids. In the actual story, the teacher leading the field trip keeps telling the kids (boring) factual information about the circus attractions, meanwhile, Emeline is pulled into the circus. The j ...more
Amy
This is a funny book about a class on a field trip to the circus. They listen to their teacher tell them about each different animal or artist that comes on stage during the circus. She also explains the species name and a fact about each animal, which I thought was a good way to blend science into the story. I would read this with students and have them point out the different entertainers at the circus and if the animals live in the wild, as well as the scientific facts about them, and so on.
Brooke
This was a book that I read to my little sister many times. It is a great book for young readers to practice their reading and young audiences will enjoy. There are many fun facts about animals as well as colorful pictures to look at.
Samantha Penrose
The synopsis given above is spot on...including the suggested age.
I found that this book offers unique information, but isn't really all that exciting to read...
Pooja
Pooja added it
Jun 25, 2014
Katherine Salinas
Katherine Salinas marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Carrie
Carrie added it
May 16, 2014
mayflower
mayflower marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Notbrownbighair
Notbrownbighair marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Robin Angelides
Robin Angelides marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Jaya
Jaya marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World Hot Air: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Hot-Air Balloon Ride How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A. My Nine Lives by Clio Princess Picky