Start by marking “Still Another Day” as Want to Read:
Still Another Day

Still Another Day

“Neruda’s lyricism wakes us up, even in the face of death, to the connections we have with our land, inner and outer.”—Los Angeles Times Book Review

The first authorized English translation of Aún, considered among Neruda’s finest long poems.

More aware than ever of his imminent death, these 28 cantos—written during two intensely lyrical days—launch the poet on a personal ex
Published August 1st 2005 by Copper Canyon Press (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Still Another Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Another Day

Lamski Kikita
Mar 10, 2012 Lamski Kikita rated it it was amazing
One long poem that left me teary-eyed and and contemplative. I wondered how I would say goodbye to my country, and recount all the places that touched my soul. I have never been to Chile, but this poem made me fall in love with it. It is not possible to not fall in love with Chile after reading Neruda. I love Chile because of Neruda first, and Allende second.

What can I say, it is utterly and completely beautiful that it hurts me to not know enough Spanish to read it without the English translati
Valerie
This book was written after Neruda knew that he had cancer and was going to die. It is a sort of goodbye to everyone and everything. The book was sad and touching, and felt like he was saying goodbye to his readers too. I wish I read this after I read all his other books. The book ends with "Gracias."
Elizabeth Buck
Jan 06, 2017 Elizabeth Buck rated it it was amazing
Poignant. Visceral. Iconic.
Emily
Jan 20, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
I love Neruda, but this lacks the pointed lyricism that made his earlier work so great. Nevertheless, this is a collection well worth reading. There are a few standout poems here, and Neruda's reflections on aging, death, and his homeland are clear and insightful. It's a more muted beauty than his earlier work, but there's a surprising grace in that. I have a feeling this will grow on me in subsequent readings.
Katee
Mar 09, 2015 Katee rated it it was amazing
I had heard about this poet when I was in high school Spanish classes, but it took on more meaning and significance for me when I studied in Chile. Pablo Neruda, a Chilean poet, speaks beautifully about the shape of life and how each stage of life is beautiful, difficult, simplistic, complex, etc. I am in awe as to the beauty and veracity of his words and how he can envoke various emotions in his readers.
g026r
Feb 07, 2011 g026r rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2011
A single long poem, forming Neruda's goodbye to Chile. I come out of it realizing that I don't know enough about the country to appreciate it -- too much of it becomes little more than names that mean nothing to me -- and appreciating just how much William O'Daly's translations did improve from this, his first volume.

I assume that, had I known more of Chile, I'd have rated this higher.
Tim Lepczyk
Dec 27, 2007 Tim Lepczyk rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I'm going to give Neruda the benefit of the doubt and hope that some of this was lost in translation. It was okay, but didn't stun me or really move me. The line breaks were really dull and again, I'm betting that it's because I read the English translation.
Don
Mar 01, 2013 Don rated it it was amazing
An expressive poem about Chili and his life.
Mills College Library
861.62 N454s 2005
Maria Theresa Henriques
Versão em português deixa muito a desejar. Assim como na versão em espanhol, os poemas dedicados as cidades não são descritivos o suficiente para o leitor se conectar a elas.
David
Jan 15, 2013 David rated it really liked it
What a powerful little book of poems. Written in just two days with such breath, bravado and poignant lyrical words that I read several of the poems out loud to catch his tone. Beautiful beauty!
Megan C
Sep 13, 2010 Megan C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some really nice lines and images in this collection.
AJ LeBlanc
AJ LeBlanc rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2009
Christoper Robinson
Christoper Robinson rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Shilo
Shilo rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2009
Sunny
Sunny rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2014
Greg
Mar 27, 2008 Greg added it
neruda need i say more
John Kelly
John Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Daniel Seifert
Daniel Seifert rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Jose M Pinto
Jose M Pinto rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Luiza
Luiza rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Jim Jordan
Jim Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Char
Char rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2007
Gloria
Gloria rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2009
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2007
Lorena
Lorena rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Gem
Gem rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Alexa Cascade
Alexa Cascade rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2007
  • Altazor/Temblor del cielo
  • The End of the West
  • Domestic Work: Poems
  • Stolen Air: Selected Poems of Osip Mandelstam
  • Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow (Faber Library)
  • Oracle: Poems
  • Colosseum: Poems
  • Holy Land
  • My Love Is A Dead Arctic Explorer
  • Blood Dazzler
Pablo Neruda was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto. Neruda assumed his pen name as a teenager, partly because it was in vogue, partly to hide his poetry from his father, a rigid man who wanted his son to have a "practical" occupation. Neruda's pen name was derived from Czech writer and poet Jan Neruda; Pablo is thought to be fro ...more
More about Pablo Neruda...

“We the mortals touch the metals,
the wind, the ocean shores, the stones,
knowing they will go on, inert or burning,
and I was discovering, naming all the these things:
it was my destiny to love and say goodbye.”
987 likes