Cornhusker: Demon Gene

Cornhusker: Demon Gene

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  9 reviews
First accepted in A Flame in the Dark's Monsters! anthology, "Cornhusker: Demon Gene" pits a young man's desire to live a long life against the sudden realization that his worst fears have come true. He has the Demon Gene and has only hours left before becoming a monster. Jessica Bell would pick this day to have lunch with him.
Published May 19th 2013 by timothycward.com

L.K. Evans
I’m just going to say it: I LOVE GORE! Now, this wasn’t overly gory to me, but keep in mind that I fucking love gore. So, this had enough to keep my interest, but I don’t think it’s over the top for anyone who reads horror. The reason I mention this is because I think the gory parts were beautifully written. I had a clear image of what was happening, which was great!

I read that Ward had cut down the length, and I must say I’m disappointed. I had the feeling I was walking through a haunted house;...more
Zachary Jernigan
OBJECTIVE RATING (my best stab at looking at the book's merits, regardless of whether or not I enjoyed it all that much): 4

PERSONAL RATING (how much the book "worked" for me personally): 4

Um... I am SO CERTAIN I reviewed this on here. Where did it go?

Crap. Well, regardless, this is a very compelling work of short fiction from an author with heaps of promise. It was emotionally engaging, quite horrifying on a body-horror sort of level, and very resonant, with faith-based undercurrents that do not...more
Timothy Ward
Sep 04, 2013 Timothy Ward added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my first published short story. You can find it, exclusively, on Amazon Kindle for the next 90 days, and will find its way into paperback form as the anthology, Monsters!, gets published.

What it's about:

The emotional focal point centers on a high school senior with something worse than death looming over his immediate future. His family has a hereditary disease that could turn him into a monster any day now. When a special girl breaks through his wall of self-defense, he experiences grea...more
Paul Nelson
The main problem with any short story is that the author has very little time and space to leave a big, resounding impression on the reader and make them want to come back for more. I've read short stories that are instantly forgotten and ones that frustrate you simply because you want more and can't get it.
This for me fell into a horror/young adult category and was a decent read, normally its the sort I would avoid like the plague but it was entertaining enough for me to think 'is that all' at...more
Misty
Cornhusker was interesting and was written with thought provoking symbolism. It was more than a teenage boy finally getting his crush on the day his demon curse comes. It is about a fight between God and evil and if this boy is going to give in to the evil.
Lyndon
This debut novelette by Tim Ward is a classic horror story that moves from a conflicted character to crisis to climax and resolution in short order. If you're a fan of Grimm (or any contemporary fantasy-horror television series) then this story will read like a slice-of-life episode in a broader world of myth and make-believe. The solid story-telling is accompanied by a powerful moral message that can be read allegorically or simply appreciated for what it is: love overcomes evil. [Disclaimer: I...more
Mia
The author kindly and generously gave me a copy of this short story.

As if being a teenager isn't hard enough, CORNHUSKER: DEMON GENE is about a young man, Geoffrey, in the process of transformation into a monster. He had previously hoped to be spared from the metamorphosis, but this is the day the uncertainty is resolved. Not in his favor.

I would classify this as urban horror-fantasy. As a horror enthusiast, I commend Ward for communicating the terror of the young man's ordeal. This is the best...more
An
This is a story that makes me hate the Star rating system. I'd like to give it 2.5 stars. or, just be able to say that it was "Okay, but closer to Good than just okay."

It took my a minute to adjust to the writing style. Once I got a handle on it being more of a young adult story, the voice of the narrator/main character made more sense, and didn't take me out of the story, a story that i really did enjoy.

The failings of "Cornhusker" are really owed to the fact that it's a short story. I feel lik...more
Diana
Though this is not my usual genre, I gave it a try. The story caught me in the first few paragraphs and held me to the end. My only complaint was the end came too quickly.
H.A. Titus
H.A. Titus marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Nikki (TinyAvenger)
Nikki (TinyAvenger) marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Mr. Matt
Mr. Matt marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Miyoko Hikiji
Miyoko Hikiji marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Kenny Diveley
Kenny Diveley marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Sanchit Bhandari
Sanchit Bhandari marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Lane Diamond
Lane Diamond is currently reading it
May 24, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Modern Good Reads: R4R Supernatural horror (short story) 3 11 May 23, 2013 04:07AM
On top of being an aspiring author, I'm the Executive Producer of Adventures in SciFi Publishing podcast and review site and a book reviewer at SF Signal. Adventures in Scifi Publishing has a goodreads group if you'd like to join us: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

I just released my SAND fanfic novelette(with Hugh Howey's permission). Scavenger is available on Kindle and Scribd (NOOK and...more
More about Timothy C. Ward...
Scavenger