Start by marking “The Bitch Rules” as Want to Read:
The Bitch Rules

The Bitch Rules

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  561 ratings  ·  36 reviews
This volume is the author's take on the best-selling dating guide, The Rules. Chapter headings include Have Pets, When All Else Fails, Talk to God and Don't Clear the Table at a Dinner Party Unless the Men Get Up to Help Too.
Published May 2000 by Quartet Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Bitch Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bitch Rules

Julie Madsen
Now here is someone who loves makeup and high heels but demands men clear the table after dinner. The great female ROAR (or Grrrrrrl) is dying down, if not dead. So far the only chapter I like is the one that reads: Have a cleaning person come in as often as you can afford. Yeah right. Written like a real New Yorker. I need a raise!

Whatever this semi-feminista crap-writing is, I don't like it. If it still requires leg shaving and mascara, leave me out of it.
Terra
Apr 28, 2007 Terra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I thought it would be stupid and fluffy like most self-help type books. However, it turned out to be laugh-out-loud-funny, while also serving as a good reminder of the stuff we forget sometimes-that life isn't about finding the perfect man, that your career shouldn't be the only thing you do, and that everyone is just as strange as you are. A VERY fast read and much funnier than it looks.
Wurtzel offers fortune cookie level wisdom with all the plausibility of a drunken fisherman describing the size of the one that got away, and you spend much of her book wondering when exactly she took any of her own advice. There are a few useful aphorisms here, but chances are you heard them from your mother first. (Though maybe not the one advising you to screw an ex to help yourself get over whatever guy you're crushing on...) Miles away from Kiss My Tiara's class and sass.
Abbi Dion
Read this one night when I was livin' alone in an apartment with no furniture. I was drinking wine out of the bottle and speeding through and laughing out loud. That's a nice memory. I particularly like: "Be Gorgeous. I myself believe that I am about ten times prettier than I actually am. By dint of sheer will power, I have managed to convince many people of this." Ha ha ha.
Joy
This book was overpriced and far worse than I expected. Apparently she's transformed from a troubled teenager to an overly self righteous WOMAN!
Woman, RAWR!!!
Melanie
I just skimmed this, I couldn't really get into it... not nearly as good as her other books, which I've loved all of so far. It was just sort of like she wanted to publish something, so she just crammed a bunch of her less-good stuff together and called it a day.
Stephanie
a few little nuggets of wisdom here and there, wrapped around a lot of BS stuff. very easy read but also easy to zone out on while reading too...
Andrea
Should be titled commonsense advice for stupid women.
Medeia Sharif
I'm familiar with Wurtzel's life and bouts with mental illness and drugs after reading PROZAC NATION and MORE, NOW, AGAIN. After that darkness, she sees light. RADICAL SANITY is Wurtzel's advice to women on romance, careers, hobbies, and physical appearance based on her experiences--which means that readers may not connect to everything she has to say. Some sections and chapters were empowering, while others were contradictory by urging women to do things to attract the opposite sex. Still, it's ...more
I read a lot of reviews of this book before I purchased it and I can see where everyone is coming from, both good and bad. However, I grabbed this book in the midst of a hellish week of being stuck in my own head and it was just the thing I needed to snap me out of it. I'm not saying it's the type of book that would suit everyone, but it hit the mark with me in this instance.
Shira
Into the psyche of the woman who wrote Prozac Nation... Read it less for the advice and more for the entertaining prose of this "postfeminist," heteronormative, generalizing, and overall pretty elitist woman. While she may be politically incorrect and dated even after less than 10 years, she's funny, and there is some wisdom through the lens of knowing her "quirks."
Cara Ellison
Meh. This book is pure nonsense shined up by Wurtzel's amazing ability to spin prose. All style, no substance.

However, that said, I knew that going into this book. I don't really need advice - I don't think most grown women need the kind of advice Wurtzel offers. Even so, it was fun to read.
James Clark
an entertaining and frank overview of how to live your life. Elizabeth creates a series of sensible rules for women that are easily translatable to men as well. Taking simple things and giving strong advice based on her own experiences and building a cohesive and precise set of rules.
Megs
Aug 21, 2007 Megs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a boost
Shelves: staples
The title of this book caught my eye immediately due the title and well there really are secrets to life in here! It is like one of few Self Help Psychology books that give a crap about those they are writing for! You can tell this woman has seen it all and been through it all.
Cassidy
I am a fan of Prozac Nation and More Now Again but this was just a waste of money. I was able to special order it a couple years ago. I'm not sure if it's even out anymore but I don't recommended going to any trouble to get this book.
Meri
Cleverly written but genuinely prescribed advice...say what you will about Elizabeth Wurtzel, but she's passionately pro-woman, pro-self, pro-happiness. Buy this book for any woman you love and respect!
Susie
I didn't really agree with the advice she gave but whatever! If I could write a book of advice not everyone would agree with me either
Jen P
I enjoyed the way this was written. Most of the advice offered was quite applicable to my life, so I appreciated the content of this book.
Julie Ehlers
While the idea of Elizabeth Wurtzel writing a self-help book is kind of hilarious, this was a fun read with some good advice.
Kassel
Although I don't agree with all of Wurtzel's ideas and sentiments, it's still a good book, full of pithy advice.
Sara
I love Elizabeth Wurtzel's books. Her writing is optimistic with a touch of cynicism, with plenty of humor.
Jeszlene
Aug 08, 2011 Jeszlene marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Amusing read. Recommended for those who have little time yet would like to enjoy a quick read.
Meredith
Same as my other Wurtzel reviews. This book is filled with highlighter and notes.
Sara
This is an easy and fun, great read - check it out! You'll love her writing!
Yoshira Marbel
I was dissapointed with this book because i expected it to be more insightful.
Patricia
It's an easy read with commonsense advise for uncommon women...that's for sure!
Jasmin
All modern women should read this book, especially after a break up.
Joyce
No comments. There's nothing to say about this book. Garbage.
Sara
First e-book I read - I re-read it - it's fabulous!
Ellen
En fantastisk oppkvikker for single jenter!
  • The Bust Guide to the New Girl Order
  • From Girls to Grrrlz: A History of Female Comics from Teens to Zines
  • The Story of Jane: The Legendary Underground Feminist Abortion Service
  • Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions
  • PoMoSexuals: Challenging Assumptions About Gender and Sexuality
Brought up Jewish, Wurtzel's parents divorced when she was young. As described in Prozac Nation, Wurtzel's depression began at the ages of ten to twelve. She attended Ramaz for high school and was described as an over-achiever by her teachers, who expected her to become a nationally famous writer. While an undergraduate at Harvard College, she wrote for The Harvard Crimson and the Dallas Morning N ...more
More about Elizabeth Wurtzel...
Prozac Nation More, Now, Again: A Memoir of Addiction Bitch: In Praise of Difficult Women Autobiography of a Recovering Skinhead

“Doing nothing is opting for the sweetness of stillness...Instead of fighting with that which you cannot control, you might as well just see it through...” 39 likes
“Embrace fanaticism. Harness joie de vivre by pursuing insane interests, consuming passions, and constant sources of gratification that do not depend on the approval of others” 14 likes