Start by marking “The French for Love” as Want to Read:
The French for Love

The French for Love

Like a glass of wine in the French afternoon sunshine – The French for Love is the perfect summer escape.

Gina has lost her perfect job, her boyfriend and her favourite aunt all within the space of a few months.

So when she inherits her aunt’s ramshackle French house, Gina decides to pack her bags for the Bordeaux countryside – swapping the miserable English weather for blue
Paperback, 1, 360 pages
Published July 12th 2013 by Bookouture (first published July 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The French for Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French for Love

Linda Dobinson
Sep 09, 2016 Linda Dobinson rated it really liked it
Really good chick-lit with emotional depth.
As my favourite mode of transport is armchair, I always enjoy stories set in foreign places. Wonderful descriptions of France and likeable characters.
I recommend this book.
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jul 10, 2013 Fabulous Book Fiend rated it really liked it
Review: this is the perfect summer read! It was just the right amount of warmth and exotic location for this British summer. I loved the idea of the story, someone escaping to France and it was just as enjoyable as I expected! We are introduced to Gina and her hopeless situation straight away, and I loved her as a character. She is a strong person who knows that she has to get away in order to sort her life out. I like the fact that she has lost her job and so she is trying to further her ...more
Paulita Kincer
Aug 23, 2013 Paulita Kincer rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book The French for Love by Fiona Valpy. I read it all in one day rather than grading papers or preparing for classes or doing laundry for my son who goes back to college next week.
Gina, the main character, lives in the UK and is in her late 20s. Major life changes in the past year spin her into a whirlwind. Her father died, her favorite aunt who lived in France died, her live-in boyfriend left her for another woman, and she lost her job as a wine purchaser for a small wine
Kathryn Laceby
Feb 10, 2014 Kathryn Laceby rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

I enjoyed The French for Love for all the reasons you could imagine with such a title. It was warm and inviting and filled with promises of love. Our leading lady, Gina, is at a loss with a past year full of changes and doesn’t know what direction to take next so her decision to move into her aunt’s cottage in rural France seems to be an ideal plan while she sorts out her head. I found myself longingly hoping for some long lost aunt to turn up and hand me the
Best Crime Books & More
Oct 30, 2015 Best Crime Books & More rated it really liked it
The synopsis is certainly not original and I have seen these ‘relocations and fresh starts’ many times in other books. However, Fiona Valpy has done the MOST important thing in my opinion. She has managed to weave a tale that is descriptive enough to actually take me to France in my mind and picture the village and house, as well as giving me the main character Gina who I just fell in love with. If you can get the setting right, and characters that are likeable that’s half the battle.

Gina seems
Barbara M
"The French for Love" is a nice light read. I just finished it while lounging on the beach.

Gina lives in England and is experiencing challenges with her love life and career. She suddenly inherits a house in France from her Aunt Liz who passes away. She decides to go to France to see the house and the experience of spending time there is life changing for her. Gina is in the wine business and she is studying wine in France.

Some things I especially enjoyed:
- I liked the author's description of
Paris Baker
Oct 04, 2014 Paris Baker rated it really liked it
When everything around her seems to be falling apart, an escape to the French countryside seems like a much needed respite for Gina, and will allow her to feel closer to the Aunt she loved so dearly.

When she meets Cédric, the son of her new neighbour Mireille, the attraction is instant. But with so many things for Gina to overcome, including the discovery of a long-kept family secret and a rather challenging language barrier, you can’t help but wonder if it is possible at all for her to find her
Jacqueline
Aug 26, 2013 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: france, wine
I’ve read lots of novels set in Provence where the descriptions really do bring back great memories of the villages and scenery. This book is set much closer to my home in Bordeaux but again the descriptions of the area are spot on and made me feel very much at home.

The main character Gina finds herself starting again in France, not because she is following her dream but because it seems her only option. Her boyfriend has left her, she’s lost her job and her favourite aunt has died, leaving Gina
Jan 10, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
A very put-downable, pick-upable book. That is to say, it failed to hold my interest, so I laid it aside. Then when I was between books I really wanted to read, I'd pick it up. Often, it's difficult to get back into the action. Not so here, but possibly only because the action was so slight and also so predictable. Indeed, had I been asked, I'd have predicted the ending on the fourth page or so. But then, so much Chick Lit is that way, as if we were all vapid dunderheads, rather than women who ...more
Suze
May 06, 2014 Suze rated it it was amazing
Gina's a wine taster and due to cut downs at work she loses her job. When her aunt passes away she inherits a house in France. As she desperately wants to get away from it all she decides to move into her aunt's home. The house needs some work and because of that she meets Cédric and his brothers. Building a new life for herself isn't as easy as it sounds though.
I loved the setting and the atmosphere of this book. I could dream away about France and handsome Frenchmen. Gina's so naive, but gradu
Renita D'Silva
Sep 04, 2013 Renita D'Silva rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored ‘The French for Love’. It has all the ingredients of a fabulous read- a fantastic setting, beautifully depicted; a wonderful heroine in Gina- you can’t help but root for her from the start. There is intrigue to keep you on your toes and all those gorgeous wines, not forgetting the romance of course. And if that wasn’t enough there is the lovely ending which leaves you feeling warm and happy inside. And not only that, you also get a sneak peek into the ins and outs of wine ...more
Emily
Jul 05, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book 2/5 stars. It is a very slow read and only picks up the last quarter of the book where, I felt, it went too fast. I found myself losing interest many times and just ended up putting the book down and doing something else for a few hours. At times I felt like I had to force myself to finish the book. I was also a bit disappointed at how predictable the book was. But that's normally the case with books of this genre.

I would only recommend this book if someone was looking for a laz
Jenny Hale
Aug 14, 2013 Jenny Hale rated it it was amazing
Fiona Valpy moves gracefully between present and past as her main character, Gina, comes into her own, finds love, and discovers a story that has been tucked away for many years. It is the perfect read for summer with Valpy’s colorful description of the French countryside, good wine, and loads of sunshine. Although, I may pick it back up this winter to keep me warm! I highly recommend this sweet, funny, and romantic read.
Rachel Gilbey
Oct 02, 2014 Rachel Gilbey rated it liked it
I read this after I read Fiona's latest book The French For Christmas which I did really enjoy.

I found though that The French for Love, was just slow to get going and it struggled to hold my interest. As a debut its OK, but I know due having read her latest book, that Fiona can write far more entertaining, heartwarming books.
Teresa
Dec 06, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my second time reading The French For Love. I wanted to re-read The French For Christmas, but wanted to re-familiarize myself with Valpey's characters. I would love to know Gina, Cedric and the brother Thibault. I would love to live in this quaint village that Valpey has created. It's such a warm and comforting, yet fun and intriguing read.
NancyB
Oct 21, 2013 NancyB rated it it was amazing
When I started this book I had great expectations and I was not disappointed. It has just about everything a woman can relate to- plus a fantastic setting! Ms. Valpy's knowledge of wines is interesting and informative. I loved Gina but Cédric even more! If you're looking forward to a relaxing read, The French for Love is for you! Waiting for her next book...!
Susan2U
Jul 15, 2015 Susan2U rated it really liked it
A perfect palate-cleanser, especially if you've been reading lots of dark, edgy books. It's part travelogue, part wine-making class, part romance, and a healthy dose of rumination on life and love. The writing is beautiful — evocative and descriptive, even poetic at times — without being over-the-top. What a lovely read.
Elizabeth Cole
Nov 24, 2014 Elizabeth Cole rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book.
Its a quick light read. A romance but a very clean, sweet romance. Learned a lot about wine and as a wine fiend it was perfect for me. I really wish that she wrote a follow up novel for this book but sadly she doesn't.
Rachel
Jul 24, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
I read this book hoping it would be like Under the Tuscan Sun and it was to some degree but I found it a bit ponderous and contrived. Gina inherits her aunt's house in France and moves there only to discover some disturbing things about her family. Good plot, just a little too drawn out.
Elaine
Sep 27, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this for a chick lit read. It was well written, had wine and France. What more could you want? :)
Michelle
Aug 26, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
Yes this book is predictable and clichéd.
It's also well written with likeable characters and a good story.
This is a feel-good book, it left me smiling when I'd finished it.
Hana
Aug 05, 2016 Hana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pěkné to bylo. Takové lahodné. Dala bych 4,5* Více v mé recenzi na http://www.channach.com/fiona-valpy-l...
Maggie
May 01, 2014 Maggie rated it it was amazing
A lovely, sweet read that will help you escape to France and dream about what life could be like there. If you've ever imagined chucking it all and moving abroad, this book is for you.
Charlene Sullivan
Poignant

Love, loss & self discovery are themes in this story, but so are love, acceptance and joy. Worth the read!
Tam-Tam
Apr 24, 2014 Tam-Tam rated it liked it
the love story was a little too long in the making for my tastes, but all the French details are great!

Here is my full review:
Christine Grinling
Sep 28, 2013 Christine Grinling rated it really liked it
The French for Love was a good enjoyable summer read, with earthy warm descriptions of provence and a pleasing storyline.
Em Finnis
Oct 13, 2015 Em Finnis rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and finished it within 24 hours. A beautiful story in a wonderful setting. Escapism at its best..
I can't wait to read Fiona's next book
Adrianne Carlino Gentile
Adrianne Carlino Gentile rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Melanie Rees
Melanie Rees rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Judy Bates
Judy Bates rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Add details 3 12 May 27, 2015 04:53AM
Contemporary Romance: The French for Love 1 16 Jul 20, 2013 04:29PM
  • The Impossible Search for the Perfect Man
  • Dancing with Paris (A Paris Time Travel Romance)
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
  • My Grape Escape
  • The Wedding Diary
  • Blame It on Paris
  • The Parisian's Return
  • The Best Christmas Ever
  • From Tours to Paris (French Illusions Book 2)
  • A Groom with a View
  • Always You
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Mismatch (Love Match #2)
5820694
I moved to France from the UK in 2007, leaving behind a career in Marketing and Public Relations to explore new avenues, and now teach yoga and write. Having renovated an old rambling farmhouse with my husband, I have developed new-found skills in cement-mixing and interior decorating, although my preferred pastime by far is winetasting.
'The French for Love' is my debut novel, inspired by the peo
More about Fiona Valpy...