Start by marking “The King Of Little Things” as Want to Read:
The King Of Little Things

The King Of Little Things

Long ago in a faraway realm, the King of Little Things ruled happily over all things small - from buttons to beetles, from marbles to macaroni. When King Normous thinks he has finally become the ruler of all the world, he is enraged to learn that the King of Little Things still reigns happily in his tiny kingdom. Normous sends his army to defeat this upstart, but he finds ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The King Of Little Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King Of Little Things

Vera Godley
Nov 13, 2013 Vera Godley rated it it was amazing
What a treasure trove of delightfully interesting things and critters. While the story alone is precious in its telling of haughty King Normous (for enormous) and his gluttonous raging appetite to be king of everything, and while the end result is his downfall at the hand of all the little things (screws, spiders, needles, pins, etc.) ruled by the King of Little Things, the illustrations pair so beautifully it is a reader's-trip to see it all.

I love Bill Lepp's story and it is full of meaning an
Garren
Nov 10, 2014 Garren rated it liked it
It's refreshing to see "generic medieval fantasy" that isn't about young characters. This one is about a king with small ambitions who rules over all the little things of the world, and a king who has just finished conquering the rest of the world and is looking to clean up the one spot on the map that he had previously overlooked. But waging war is difficult if a thousand little things go wrong... ;)

I like how this is a story about appreciating the everyday things we take for granted and findin
Gina Peterson
Oct 17, 2013 Gina Peterson rated it it was amazing
I read this to the girls tonight and when it was finished the said, "Let's read it again!" It was funny, had great illustrations and a good moral about appreciating the little things. I loved the authors use of words--a great book to introduce kids to new words.
Sassy
Jul 23, 2014 Sassy rated it it was amazing
Quite clever. Fun to share with young children PK-1.
Juliana Lee
King Normous was the mightiest king in the world but he wanted more. His huge army defeated every other kingdom until everything was his... except the King of Little Things. The King of Little Things was content with little things, crumbs, insects, buttons, etc. But when King Normous heard about him, he sent his army to defeat the King of Little Things too. They captured him and but him in a dungeon. But the little things loved their king and refused to be a part of King Normous' plan. The nails ...more
Terrance Franklin
This book was a very charming read with a pretty creative take on its lesson. The story has two prominent characters: The King of little things of course, and King Normous. The antagonist is a pretty effective foil to the king of little things by basically representing his opposite; Meaning while the king strived for very "little" and was comfortable Normous was greedy and very "larger than life".The story showcases the folly of greed as well as talking about how not to underestimate little guy ...more
Emsinkovic
Feb 28, 2017 Emsinkovic rated it it was amazing
A fun and sweet way to teach kids the concept of solidarity and nonviolent resistance.
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: September 29th, 2014

Author: Bil Lepp; Illustrated by David T. Wenzel

Title: The King of Little Things

Plot: The King of Little Things is happy being just that, the King of Little Things. He had everything that he could ever want and didn't need more. Meanwhile, King Normous is a hard-headed king that wants to conquer kingdoms and to be ruler of the world. However, when he realizes that there is one more King to conquer, he brings his entire army to seize the kingdom. Will the King of Little
Trudy Zufelt
Aug 29, 2013 Trudy Zufelt rated it it was amazing
A long time ago in a world on the other side of a far mountain lived the much beloved King of the Little Things. His rule over all things small brought him much happiness and contentment.
But alas! Not all kings appreciate what they have. They always want more. Greedy King Normous wants the most and intends to be king of all the world. He gathers a vast army and conquers every kingdom, until he thinks he rules the entire world. When he learns that he has missed the King of Little Things, he sen
Carol
The King of Little Things is quite content with the size and variety of his subjects. He happily spends time feeding the smallest of ants and admiring the butterflies that flit around him. The same peacefulness can not be found with King Normous. No matter how vast his empire he always wants more. One day he mistakenly proclaims, "I am King of All Things!" His steward timidly reminds him, "I believe you may have missed His Minuscule Majesty...the King of Little Things." Of course, the Large Lieg ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
Sep 05, 2013 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a beautiful picture book with a nice message. Even without the moral, it is an entertaining story. When King Normous tries to take over the world, he doesn't count on the power of the little things. But the little things love their king, and they work together to defeat King Normous. I love the concept that everything, no matter how small or insignificant, matters. In fact, often it's the little things that seem to matter most.

While the story itself is well written and engaging, the artw
Stacy
Jul 28, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
[Blogged here: http://withgreatjoy.blogspot.com/2015...]

I wish I could remember who recommended this book, because I'd like to thank them! The first page reads: Long ago, on the far side of a mountain, lived the King of Little Things. While other kings busied themselves with the big things of this world, he happily ruled over all things small. The story goes on to tell of all the little things the king has charge of and affection for: things like ants and buttons and petals and bees.

Can you ima
Kristen Jett
Jun 25, 2013 Kristen Jett rated it really liked it
Absolutely darling children's read. That was all I could think after finishing this. Just darling. The kind of book you read and want to buy for all your friends with young children. It's a great and fun way to introduce little ones to an assortment of words they may not have previously experienced.

The bright and lively illustrations are a great accompaniment, which I think will also help to keep young readers entertained and interested.

I think young readers will find this exciting, interesting,
Susanna
Jul 13, 2016 Susanna rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent! I found it at the Tamarack, WV, "made in West Virginia" store and bought copies for two sets of nieces and nephews. I read it 6 times in 3 days to my 5-year-old nephew, who informed me it was his second-favorite book, after his dinosaur book. (High praise!) Good reviews from my 5-year-old nieces, too. There are so many wonderful things for children to look at, fantastic vocabulary for kids to learn (my nephew loved learning "eradicate empires"), and my sister was pleased ...more
Barbara
The aptly-named greedy King Normous mounts a successful campaign to be the Ruler of All the World. When he realizes that one ruler still remains--the King of Little Things--he gathers a huge army for an assault on this man. The little things come to his aid, and to his chagrin, King Normous realizes just how important little things like buttons, keys, screws, and strings actually are. As many of us know, it is the little things that count and drive us crazy when they don't work. I enjoyed this s ...more
Katherine Rushworth
Nov 26, 2014 Katherine Rushworth rated it really liked it
I just visited the local library and picked up a copy of the picture book "The King of Little Things" by Bil Lepp. I must admit that I have a soft spot for books that champion the underdog, especially when they are people who are resilient when bullied for fixating on fine detail. I think this would be a great book for kids with Asperger's Syndrome, but that aside, I think it's appealing because it has a beautiful and simple story, and rich illustrations. Inside the front and back cover are a co ...more
Amanda
I saw Bil Lepp tell this story traditionally at a festival last year; after that I HAD to buy this book, and I am so glad that I did as it is quite brilliant and the illustrations only make it more so. Wish Bil would write more children's books as he is so very funny/astute (though after he described the process of getting this published, he probably doesn't want to write another children's book EVER AGAIN).
Suzanne
Jan 02, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it
This was a really cute story that I enjoyed reading aloud to my daughter. The illustrations are beautiful, and I really liked the pun on names (such as King Normous for enormous).

I tend to choose stories that demonstrate strong morals to read to my daughter (though of course, right now she is too young to understand) with the hopes of creating good examples for her, while allowing her imagination to take flight. This story will remain a classic on our shelf.
Linda
Nov 30, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
The King of Little Things rules happily over his little kingdom...until King Normous wants to take over. But the little things continue to serve their king, much to King Normous's dismay and downfall. A delightful story from one of my favorite storytellers. This book is great, the illustrations are a perfect fit! If you like the book, get ahold of his CD "The King of Little Things" and give it a listen. It's listed at his website, leppstorytelling.com
Emily
Apr 09, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
The King of Little Things is the story of two kings, one small and one mighty, and their different approaches to ruling a kingdom. The little things are loyal to the little king, and everyone learns that the little things play a big role in everyday life. This book has wonderful vocabulary and rhymes. It would be great to use as a model for word choice as well as in a poetry unit, or as a read aloud.
Destiny Dawn Long
Full review at my blog: http://destinydawnlong.wordpress.com/...

This was a fun book to read and I look forward to sharing it with my daughter. It earns 4 out of 5 stars for being entertaining, creative, well-conceived and well-executed. If you’ve grown tired of the same old familiar fairy tales, definitely give this one a try. It’s got an excellent balance of moral and humor to keep adult and child entertained.
Jay
Jun 14, 2013 Jay rated it it was amazing
The King of Little Things has everything! it's well written, it's clever, it's funny, has an important message, and has great illustrations to go with it!

never discount the importance of little things, they're what make the big things possible.

will definitely be sharing this with my boy, I'm sure he (& any other little boy) will get a giggle out of this one :)

*** ARC KINDLY SUPPLIED BY NETGALLEY & THE PUBLISHERS, THANKYOU!!
Rachel
The King of Little Things is cute read that gives the reader a sense of thanksgiving of what they have. This story has two kings in which one is content with what he has and the other king, King Normous is on a mission to possess all things. When the King Normous tries to conquer the King of Little Things , all of the little thing (nails, bugs, forks, little animals, ect.) came to his aide. A cute story that puts life into perspective.
Helen
Apr 14, 2014 Helen rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-bmj
Again, not too impressed with this BMJ nominee. It's about King Normous who wants to take over all the kingdoms, which he does, except the last one which is the kingdom of Little Things. When he takes over there, the king gets all the little things to fight for him, which they do by bothering King Normous in every way until he frees the king of LIttle Things.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A happy King of the Little Things finds his kingdom in peril when a neighboring monarch - Kind Normous - decided he needs to be king of everything, not just the big things. The Little Things rally around their king and King Normous learns that the little things sometimes are the most important

Lovely illustrations.
Chechoui
Jun 30, 2013 Chechoui rated it it was amazing
An excellent children's tale that teaching kids to appreciate the little things in life. The illustrations are stunning and are the best part of this entertaining tale. Adorable animals and little things fill the pages with lots of little details. This book would be great for group reading aloud.

Review copy provided by NetGalley and the publisher.
paula
Oct 30, 2013 paula rated it really liked it
SUPER watercolor illustrations make this more fun to look at than to read, but the text is pretty clever too, especially for a book that names an acquisitive character King Normous. I expected to get hammered over the head with an anti-materialism message, but in fact it's all about Without Little Things, Where Would We Be? We couldn't get a cup of tea, that's for sure, and that would suck!
Tammy
Aug 19, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it
Adorable! This book is full of rhymes and near-rhymes, the kinds of words that are fun to say. I think it'll be fun to read to a child and fun for a child to read. The illustrations are great. Normous looks properly big and scary and The King of Little Things looks kind. The story is also a good reminder of all the little things (and other people) we depend on.

(Provided by publisher)
Robin
Sep 21, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
I love Bill Lepp as a storyteller. If you ever have a chance to hear him in person... grab it. At a recent storytelling festival he recited this story. I loved it so much I bought the book.

The book is a lovely picture book with a great message... Little things count! I read it to my 6th graders and they loved it too.
Yapha
Mar 11, 2014 Yapha rated it liked it
King Normous has conquered all of the big things in the world. When he learns that the one thing left he has not taken control of is the King of Little Things, King Normous laughs it off, assuming this will be an easy last conquest. However, as this story plainly shows us, it is often the little things that matter most, and they can add up to one big thing. Recommended for grades 1-3.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Invisible Boy
  • Gifts of the Heart
  • The Beginner's Guide to Running Away from Home
  • Inside Outside
Lepp's debut picture book, The King of Little Things, was published in September of 2013, by Peachtree Publishers. The King of Little Things is on the Shortlist for the PEN Steven Kroll Award, is a Bankstreet Irma Black Award Honoree, a Parents’ Choice Gold Award winner, and is a nominee for the Kansas Reading Assoc. Bill Martin, Jr. Award and the Delaware Diamonds Award. The book received a Kirku ...more
More about Bil Lepp...