Start by marking “The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion Book One: The Mormons” as Want to Read:
The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion Book One: The Mormons

The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion Book One: The Mormons

The Complete Heretics' Guide to Western Religion Book One: The Mormons The next time that squeaky clean pair of LDS elders comes knocking on your door, they're in for a surprise! Find out the secrets the Mormon Church would rather you didn't know (and for which they paid plenty of money to keep hushed up - unsuccessfully!) In this first book of The Complete Heretic's Guide ...more
Published May 15th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 12th 2013)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion Book One

Jim Whitefield
May 22, 2013 Jim Whitefield rated it it was amazing
David Fitzgerald’s style of writing is light, engaging and enthralling to read. His research is extensive, accurate, interestingly integrated into a compelling sequence, succinctly related and never ever boring.

As an exMormon (forty-three years a member) and author of five books in ‘The Mormon Delusion’ series, I know a thing or two about the truth behind the Mormon hoax. My final analysis of David Fitzgerald’s ‘The Mormons’, is that it more than captures the most important aspects concerning t
Gustavo Eulalio
Sep 09, 2014 Gustavo Eulalio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't know how gullible people can be until you get to know the history of the Mormon (LDS) church.
You don't know how dangerous religion can be until you get to know the history of the Mormon church.
Melissa
Mar 29, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
After reading this book I think I have learned as much as I wanted to know about the Mormons. Some parts were a bit depressing but other parts had me laughing out loud. David Fitzgerald has written another insightful read which I would recommend to anybody who wants to learn about Mormons.
Marc Mims
Sep 15, 2014 Marc Mims rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2014
Well written, informative, and entertaining. This is the best and most complete discussion of Mormonism I've read. It lays bare and debunks the beliefs of this American religion. As a former Mormon, myself, I was surprised by how much I learned, here.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants to understand Mormons and their religion and for Mormons willing to fact check their own beliefs. Though most Mormons will find the treatment of their beliefs harsh and disrespectful---until the final chapter.
Destiny
Apr 21, 2014 Destiny rated it really liked it
This book was a really well-researched example of Mormon history. As a Christian, there were several aspects I disagreed with - as the text leans toward a non-religious bias. Overall, the facts are able to speak for themselves and tell the story of a very misunderstood religious group.

Fitzgerald does a phenomenal job of clearing up popular misconceptions regarding the Mormon Church and backs up each statement with historical events that are indisputable. The writing is light, easy, and engaging
Jeff
Jun 11, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing
I find this an excellent book points out not only the explains the mythology, history, points out the fallacies and the hypocrisy as well as the evil deeds of the LDS church but also goes on to very succinctly explain how to engage LDS followers without offending/alienating them. He points out that it is all too easy to point out the absurdities in the belief system rather than helping them learn for themselves.
Rachel
I had trouble putting this down... All the while thinking of the catchy tune from South Park (Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!)
Seriously though, I found this book to be an informative and honest telling of Mormon history and I enjoyed it thoroughly! I'd recommend it to anyone curious about this peculiar little religion.
Jc
Feb 15, 2014 Jc rated it it was amazing
A very thorough, and seemingly well researched, overview of the history, beliefs, politics, and affect on American history of the Mormon religion. I am hoping that Mr. Fitzgerald continues developing his "Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion" series -- there are so many other odd religious movements and cults that need this level of discussion.
Simon
Jul 09, 2013 Simon rated it it was amazing
Once again Fitzgerald blends his talents for mixing well-thought-out analysis, exhaustive research, and incisive wit. This particular volume was made all the more enjoyable in that i helped in a small way with the research, and he felt it merited mention in his acknowledgements...
Ken Smith
Aug 14, 2014 Ken Smith rated it really liked it
Interesting read with plenty of additional reference material noted if one is interested in more detail of LDS history. Definitely no shortage of moments when you'll feel like you're in an SNL skit asking, "really?".
Kristen
Oct 29, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Very rarely do I read the same book twice even a good book but as soon as I finished this enthralling, informative, and crazy funny book I turned around and started reading it again the same day! I can't wait to read more from this author.
Michael Tallman
Aug 18, 2014 Michael Tallman rated it really liked it
A very interesting account of an often misunderstood religion.
James Christensen
Jan 05, 2014 James Christensen rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Really the best book I've read on the subject.
Nicole Sawyer
Sep 15, 2013 Nicole Sawyer rated it it was ok
I think it was a entertaining book and an easy read.
It was for the most part well researched.
But I also thought it was very biased towards the negative aspects of the history.
Felicia J.
Growing up in southwest Wyoming, about 3 hours from Salt Lake City, I knew lots of Mormon kids. As a sheltered Catholic girl, I viewed their religion with suspicion. They believed in Jesus, but not the RIGHT Jesus, and had kooky beliefs (at least compared to more familiar, mainstream Christian culture.)

As a secular adult fascinated by religious movements and the psychology of belief, I dabbled in Mormon history and in problems with the scriptures fabricated - I mean, translated - by Joseph Smith
Steven
The last section of this book offered some tips on talking to Mormons, and one of them was to avoid being snarky. I wish the book itself avoided being snarky. I understand that it wasn't written to appeal to Mormons, it’s seemingly the first part of a series for “Complete Heretics”, like myself. The information in this book was good though, and it seems like Fitzgerald would want to engage in a broader conversation, so I don’t know why he would want to immediately shut out curious Mormons with ...more
Les Gehman
May 18, 2016 Les Gehman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an absolutely devastating critique of the mormon church. It boldly shines a light into those dark corners of mormon history that the church has done its best to deny and hide. Including: Joseph Smith's conviction for fraud (using the same stone and hat that he used to "translate" the Book of Mormon), Joseph Smith's marriage to a 14 year old, his polygamy, the various accounts of his 'first vision', the murderous danites, the mountain meadows massacre, the temple 'ceremonies' taken from t ...more
Katie Bullock
Jun 29, 2015 Katie Bullock rated it really liked it
Okay. Here goes.
1. Highly entertaining. Very sassy. You've been warned. He's an atheist and very upfront about that. I am not an atheist, but I chose not to be bugged.
2. I found myself saying "holy $%*!" after pretty much every page and waking my husband up to read something to him.
3. There were a few mistakes with doctrine, specifically with the three kingdoms, but his history and research appear sound otherwise. That being said, he was so wry about it all that I am choosing to take it all w
Marty Monahan
Jan 02, 2016 Marty Monahan rated it it was amazing
As someone who grew up in an area that had little Mormon activity that I could see, I had no idea of the ideas behind it's people and their actions. Having in adulthood moved to a place where Mormonism is very politically influential this topic became something that needed some gaps filled in. Fitzgerald's work was an excellent way to begin this process to fill those gaps.

If you are at all curious as to the beginnings of Mormonism and how this influences its current path you would be well served
Luis Loli
Sep 27, 2014 Luis Loli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The true colors of the Mormon religion.

The incredible true colors of the history and beliefs of the Mormon church. If you're going to dedicate your time, money and life to a church, at least you should investigate the real origins and real doctrines of this one. Many smoking guns that prove beyond any doubt that this religion is completely false.
The "prophet" Joseph Smith was in reality the greatest charlatan of all times.
Steven  Wetter
Apr 13, 2015 Steven Wetter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mormons.....

An excellent history on the founders and founding philosophies of the Mormon religion. Gives you a accurate perspective on just how ridiculous the whole cult is. Although I feel the same way about all organized religions, the Mormons are one of the front runners for bat-s#=! Crazy. A good read if you are like myself and you prefer to be educated about a subject before you attempt to debate for or against it.
Kathleen
Some of the information was useful to know. The attitude towards Mormons, especially considering the author said at the start how fond of them he is, was too condescending. But I make a habit of reading books for and against, personal and scholarly, on as many religions as possible. I learned things that are useful. The humorous tone could have been maintained with less condescension, however.
Abram
Jul 18, 2016 Abram rated it it was amazing
A good short non-sugarcoated synopsis of Mormonism for those who do not know anything about it. Most devoted Mormons would not like this because it talks about things that do not make their church look good(example: the founder and prophet Joseph Smith sending men on missions and marrying those men's wives behind their backs)
Roxanne
Nov 17, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it says true things. This church is founded on such people with so many secrets and the whole polygamy issue which is still practiced by the fringe. If a church said I will kick you out because I cannot follow their ridiculous rules I would say see you later.
Jacob
Sep 29, 2015 Jacob rated it really liked it
Like Nailed, this is a mostly pretty good book about Mormonism. It presents a decent sketch of the early history of the church and talks about the doctrines and practices. I quite enjoyed it, but I think it would've been less engaging if I didn't know as much about the religion as I do.
Karen Mcgrail
Sep 26, 2014 Karen Mcgrail rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read. Appears to be well researched. Respectful to the faithful. While some of it is humorous, other parts are disturbing. Part of our violent American history.
Dan  the Reader
Jun 14, 2015 Dan the Reader rated it really liked it
Quick read. Pretty strong case against the Mormon church.
Al Swanson
Al Swanson rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
  • Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless
  • Jesus Lied - He Was Only Human: Debunking the New Testament
  • On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt
  • Attack of the Theocrats!: How the Religious Right Harms Us All — and What We Can Do About It
  • Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans
  • God Bless America: Strange and Unusual Religious Beliefs and Practices in the United States
  • The Outsider Test for Faith: How to Know Which Religion Is True
  • Hope after Faith: An Ex-Pastor's Journey from Belief to Atheism
  • The Happy Atheist
  • Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars
  • Deconverted: a Journey from Religion to Reason
  • What You Don't Know About Religion (but Should)
  • The Atheist's Introduction to the New Testament: How the Bible Undermines the Basic Teachings of Christianity
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • God and the Folly of Faith: The Incompatibility of Science and Religion
  • 50 Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists
  • The Godless Constitution: A Moral Defense of the Secular State
  • The Mysteries of Godliness: A History of Mormon Temple Worship
David Fitzgerald is a writer and historical researcher who has been actively investigating the Historical Jesus question for over ten years. He has a degree in History and was an associate member of CSER, the former Committee for the Scientific Examination of Religion.

Incidentally, he is also on the board of San Francisco Atheists and Center for Inquiry - SF, and the founder/director of both Evol
More about David Fitzgerald...

“On October 14, Joseph gathered his troops in the northwestern Mormon settlement of Far West, and gave a rousing speech, including these fateful lines: “If the people will let us alone, we will preach the gospel in peace. But if they come on us to molest us, we will establish our religion by the sword. We will trample down our enemies and make it one gore of blood from the Rocky Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean. I will be to this generation a second Mohammed, whose motto in treating for peace was ‘the Alcoran or the Sword.’ So shall it eventually be with us—‘Joseph Smith or the Sword!” 0 likes
“In the Kingston group, the men do little or nothing to support their families. Women and children are worked for as many as sixty hours a week for near-minimum wage in the Kingston businesses. Instead of receiving paychecks, their wages are deposited in a Kingston bank account (rent, debts and a mandatory 10% tithe are automatically deducted) and they are paid in scrip that can only be spent in Kingston-owned stores. clix They are also made to understand that if the church requires their money, they will pull it from their bank accounts. They are deprived of having any real experience with money. “We were told to sacrifice everything for the kingdom,” said one former member, “to the point that if we found a penny in the street we were to turn it in.” clx And each year, members must sign a form reaffirming their loyalty to the group and firm belief in the religion, and that when they die, everything they own will go to the church.” 0 likes