Start by marking “Bertrand Russell: The Spirit of Solitude 1872-1921” as Want to Read:
Bertrand Russell: The Spirit of Solitude 1872-1921

Bertrand Russell: The Spirit of Solitude 1872-1921

A definitive biography presents a portrait of the Nobel Prize-winning philosopher, uses unpublished letters, manuscripts, and papers that reveal his philosophical creativity, social conscience, and erotic drives.
Published October 11th 1996 by Free Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Bertrand Russell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bertrand Russell

Christine Sandgren
Jul 08, 2008 Christine Sandgren rated it it was amazing
No one can capture the philosopher's life like a fellow philosopher. One of the more interesting character of the 20th century. Russell was a daring thinker and fearlessly applied his conclusions on life to his own-- with disasterous results. Turns out that thousands of years of human mores may have been there for a reason. Now we know.
John Harder
Sep 29, 2014 John Harder rated it did not like it
What a crummy book. I pick this out of the bargain bin to learn a little of the philosophy and mathematical theory of Mr. Russell. True this is a biography not a dissertation, but a man is his thoughts. So when you tell a man’s life it should be a manifestation of his mind. However after slogging through this poorly written book I still have no idea who this man was – I just know the names of all his girlfriends and his romantic tribulations. Who cares who he was kissing under the bleachers at t ...more
Yannis Theocharis
Jul 30, 2015 Yannis Theocharis rated it it was amazing
Ray Monk’s book is by far the best biography of Bertrand Russell out there. It is also a book that, if you are a great admirer of Russell’s (like I was, and still am), you need to read with your eyes open. What distinguishes this biography from others written about Russell is (except from its size) is (a) the fact that it is written by a philosopher (of mathematics and science), thus offering an insight on how Russell’s personal life influences his scientific thinking and philosophy, but also th ...more
Marcus Speh
Jan 09, 2011 Marcus Speh added it
Shelves: reviewed
i read this book before and i'm reading it again. i don't want to rate it because i do loathe the message of the book as much as i admire the man russell. why am i reading it? because it is after all well written and the spirit of russell comes through anyway. worth getting if, after russell's autobiography, which is marvelous, you want to know more. but monk is a body-stripper, in my view.
H
Apr 02, 2014 H added it
Shelves: biography
ray monk's vol.1: spirit of solitude

===

"I remember an instant of the same pain at Southgate once in thinking of the sadness which is always suggested by natural beauty, when the idea flashed across my mind that when most in harmony with Nature I felt most sad, and that therefore the spirit of Nature must be sad and the Universe a mistake. Then I could not have borne it another instant, for though it came and went like a flash I felt as though I had been stabbed." (40

"What Spinoza calls the 'inte
Hugh Coverly
May 14, 2016 Hugh Coverly rated it really liked it
Making Sense of Bertrand Russell's Complicated Life

I waited a long time to get a hold of this book, and it was definitely worth the wait. Ray Monk presents a detailed life of the great philosopher, including Bertrand Russell's considerable achievements and romantic entanglements. What makes Monk's biography a worthy, albeit time-consuming, read is the amount of material he draws from: Russell's writings and letters, and the letters and memoirs of those who knew him best, his wives and mistresse
Dozy Pilchard
Dec 10, 2013 Dozy Pilchard rated it liked it
At times brilliant, at other times tedious. This book lacks consistency. I spotted a couple of local places misnamed which undermined my faith in some of the other information. it is a monumental first part but I would have preferred it with 300 pages edited out. Far too much relationship info. Not needed. Also excessively negative much of the time. Monk being true to his feelings but not the best Russell biog in my opinion. Need a break before I pick up my copy of pt 2.
Phillip
Feb 21, 2012 Phillip rated it liked it
Ray Monk is very good at what he does. I think this book would have been better if Russell had lived a shorter life. There wasn't that much cross over between the events of Russell's life and his philosophy.

If you are looking for a well written biography that shows how miserable Bertrand Russell was and why then this is the book for you. Unfortunately, that is what it is and it is hard bare.
Dschreiber
May 06, 2017 Dschreiber rated it liked it
After reading three hundred pages of rather smallish print, I noticed that World War I hadn't even started. How could Russell's life ever get covered in the remaining 300 pages? Then I noticed that this was just Volume 1. Oops!

So much of this is unnecessary, except perhaps to fulfil some ideal of documenting just about everything that can be documented. The material about Bertie's love life just goes on and on. One wishes he hadn't written so many letters. It seems a nearly week-by-week account
Chris Purser
Chris Purser rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Worth
Worth rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2010
Les Johnson
Les Johnson rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Lionel
Lionel rated it really liked it
May 13, 2012
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2008
Solomon Geht
Solomon Geht rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Boris Lenhard
Boris Lenhard rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Walter
Walter rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2017
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Cor
Cor rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2014
Peter Jacobsson
Peter Jacobsson rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Thomas Cotterill
Thomas Cotterill rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Ralph Berg
Ralph Berg rated it really liked it
May 23, 2017
Matt Gumbley
Matt Gumbley rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2016
ProfessorSaw
ProfessorSaw rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Thehim19
Thehim19 rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Balasubramanian A
Balasubramanian A rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
Barney Caswell
Barney Caswell rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2007
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2007
Olin
Olin marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2007
Painting
Painting marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2008
Phil
Phil added it
Feb 12, 2009
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2009
Z
Z marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2009
Robin
Robin added it
Jul 28, 2010
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2010
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2010
Julie
Julie added it
Dec 30, 2010
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2011
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2011
V
V marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2011
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2011
Luc Castelein
Luc Castelein rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2011
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2011
Jin
Jin rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2011
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2011
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Koray
Koray rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Caleb
Caleb marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2011
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2012
  • A Postillion Struck by Lightning
  • Albert Camus: A Biography
  • The Prophet Outcast: Trotsky, 1929-1940
  • Man Alone
  • Wittgenstein's Poker: The Story of a Ten-Minute Argument Between Two Great Philosophers
  • The Foundations of Arithmetic: A Logico-Mathematical Enquiry into the Concept of Number
  • The Saxon and Norman Kings
  • Emilie Du Chatelet: Daring Genius of the Enlightenment
  • How I Grew
  • Hobbes: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Autobiography of Bertrand Russell
  • In Search of the Big Bang
  • The Life of Isaac Newton
  • Shadowplay: The Hidden Beliefs and Coded Politics of William Shakespeare
Ray Monk is a Professor of Philosophy at the University of Southampton, where he has taught since 1992.

He won the Mail on Sunday/John Llewellyn Rhys Prize and the 1991 Duff Cooper Prize for Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius. His interests lie in the philosophy of mathematics, the history of analytic philosophy, and philosophical aspects of biographical writing. He is currently working on a b
More about Ray Monk...