Start by marking “Uncle Tom's Cabin” as Want to Read:
Uncle Tom's Cabin

Uncle Tom's Cabin

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This 1852 novel provides a powerful, historical look at the treatment of slaves in the pre-Civil War South.
Paperback, Classic Illustrated
Published June 1st 1997 by Acclaim Books

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Tom's Cabin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Tom's Cabin

I picked up this book while visiting the Gettysburg Battlefield with my kids this summer. I read the back and never realized that it was written by a woman almost 10 years BEFORE the Civil War and sold hundreds of thousands of copies in it's time! Now being a woman, I'm hardly saying that it's not possible for women to write a great book, but look at the was WELL before women could even vote and so many people bought and read it...President Lincoln being one of them!

The book kept me t
Vildan Arıcan
maybe it is because I am not called as totally white, I love this kind of books, includin blacks...or maybe I do not have any prejudice against them closin my eyes not to notice how clever how bright how different how sincere they are...

heyyy, I should admit sth. Even if I tried to catch all the words and yeah empathy was also with me while readin, I could not get how that book started the "war", seems like a child book... pure, naive, good-deed doer Uncle Tom... yeah dudes, protest literature i
Brenda Cregor
Ugly weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth accompanied the reading of this text.
It makes one want to believe the rumor which claims Lincoln said, about Stowe (the author), that she was " the little woman who made the great war."
Had I read this book in the mid-1800's I might have just picked up a rifle on the side of the North and fought too!
Sometimes, it's a bit melodramatic, but...oh...
I read it after I was a Harriet Beecher Stowe display in the Henry Ford Museum.
Rob Chamberlain
Probably my all-time favorite book.
I was curious as to what the expression "an Uncle Tom" meant, being that it is tossed around frequently. I learned that people in my life whom others call Uncle Toms are actually Quimbos and Sambos.

Anyway, I'm glad I read this book since it was so instrumental in the abolitionist movement. Stowe wove in elements of suspense which kept me reading. But all in all, it was poorly written, had a dumb structure (some characters go away and don't reappear for a couple hundred of pages later, some char
Clayton Jelinek
Clayton Jelinek marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Sammy marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Evie marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Casey marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Sarah Garey
Sarah Garey marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Tine Mutia
Tine Mutia marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Conroy Stout
Conroy Stout marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Kacey marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
James marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Chelesse Martin
Chelesse Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Kim McCleary
Kim McCleary marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Alicia M
Alicia M marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Kittens For Dummies
  • Tennyson: Selected Poetry
  • The Authorized Ender Companion
  • Heroes and Monsters of Greek Myth
  • The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson: Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Nineteen Other Tales
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
  • Behind the Trail of Broken Treaties: An Indian Declaration of Independence
  • Stories For Parents, Children And Grandchildren   Volume 2
  • Where She Came From: A Daughter's Search for Her Mother's History
  • Roses Love Garlic: Companion Planting and Other Secrets of Flowers
  • The Country of Marriage
  • Easter 1916
  • Divine Madness (Divine #2)
  • History and Historians: A Historiographical Introduction
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • Walking with Grandfather
  • Daddy Was the Black Dahlia Killer: The Identity of America's Most Notorious Serial Murderer--Revealed at Last
  • Recovering the Sacred: The Power of Naming and Claiming