Start by marking “Tell Me A Story: 50 Years and 60 Minutes in Television” as Want to Read:
Tell Me A Story: 50 Years and 60 Minutes in Television

Tell Me A Story: 50 Years and 60 Minutes in Television

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In more than a half century with CBS News, Don Hewitt has been responsible for many of the greatest moments in television history, including the first broadcasts of political conventions in 1948; the first Kennedy-Nixon debate in 1960; and, most spectacularly, for the past 34 years, 60 Minutes, for which he has been the creator, executive producer, and driving force of the...more
Published October 3rd 2002 by PublicAffairs (first published April 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me A Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me A Story

Paul
Highly readable. Supports the author's claim that what has made "60 Minutes" first-rate for so many years is the writing and not the visuals. I would have rated the book higher if I were into journalism (either print or broadcast).
Cynthia Johnson
I really enjoyed Don Hewitt's "Tell me a Story." A word of warning thought, if you're not interested in television news and it's inner mechanisms, you probably won't find it nearly as fascinating as I did. At times Hewitt can seem as though he's gloating about 60 Minutes and what the show was accomplished. However a man who's been in the business since its inception and helped to invent some of the concepts we now use on a daily basis and can't imaging going without is entitled to gloat just a l...more
Paula Dembeck
This is a memoir from the successful producer of "60 Minutes", a well known award winning television show. There is very little about Hewitt's early life as a reporter and this reads more like a history of the TV show, its trials, tribulations and how he developed the concept behind it.

He writes of some of the "wars" between the networks, the issue of "infotainment" and some of the challenges of the future.There were some interesting sections on how facts have been kept out of the news in the pa...more
Mike
Great on the early history of TV, and even before that to his experiences in London during WWII - the fact that even then Americans behaved as the "ugly American" and the Brits couldn't wait for us to go home was enlightening.
Hewitt loved the strip clubs in his youth.
60 minutes only came about after he was demoted off the Cronkite nightly news and did a few documentaries. Mike Wallace and Harry Reasoner were his first two anchors (a term he shares the invention of). He gives huge credit to the...more
Vanessa FM
This was just unbelievably amazing!
I could not put this book down. It was so moving and inspiring that now, either I am a journalist or I am nothing. To have lived in the times of Don Hewitt and Walter Cronkite and all these great journalist! Good times those would have been.

This was exhilarating to read. :D
Michael
This memoir from the late creator/producer of 60 Minutes is packed with great stories and peppered with insight into news, journalism, entertainment, radio, television, politics, etc. I loved it.
Donna
Picked it up for trip to San An...very readable...interesting hx of early broadcast journalism on the way to the concept and development of 60 Minutes...
Jake
Not the greatest book, but it is an interesting tale about the history of 60 Minutes.
Carol
If you like 60 minutes, this is very interesting to read.
ffeng
ffeng marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Junyu
Junyu marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
J. Clark
J. Clark marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Kiara
Kiara marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
David M.
David M. marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Aske Denning
Aske Denning marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Brian Dempsey
Brian Dempsey marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Don Hewitt created the CBS newsmagazine broadcast 60 Minutes in 1968. He was the executive producer of the show until June 2004.

Hewitt began his career with CBS in 1948 as an associate director.
More about Don Hewitt...
60 Minutes: Minute by Minute... Minute by Minute On And Off The Air: An Informal History of CBS News